• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

an intentional joke character.....

red stone

Smash Ace
so in some fighting games, the developers think it's fun to make a character have inherent disadvantages that are so bad that the character cannot even be looked at as a threat in any setting.

my question is if "whoever makes brawl" should make this character or strive to make all characters in the game balanced? no joke characters. they have way more this time around to work on balance unlike in melee. besides, they have experience with the game now. melee was way different from the original but from what i've seen, brawl is somewhat similar to melee in terms of gameplay and speed.

so balance is easier to look into now.

Sariku

Smash Master
I say keep them all balanced. Yes, some characters may be better to play than others, but I say keep it as balanced as Possible.

Leobenmc

Smash Journeyman
*ponders over Pichu*
I think that there will be no "joke characters" in the context you refer to. Wario, you can argue, is a joke character. He brings about laughter at his moveset, but he could probably hold his own. He's not made intentionally crippled from a gameplay perspective.

I think the items satisfy this idea. "Goldeen" in a Pokéball brings about the same infamous reaction. In Soul Calibur, in the Weapon Select screen, you can select a "Novelty" weapon when unlocked - which does less damage. I don't think the character should be intentionally disadvantaged, but the items, environment lead to hilarious situations.

As this is Sakurai's true successor to SSB, I think he'll focus on balance - making a game that'll last for years. I think I answered your question? :S

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Sakurai and the team on Melee purposefully made Pichu weak, calling it the "Challenge" character.

Fawriel

Smash Master
"Challenge character"? That's new to me. =o
From that perspective, I guess it makes sense, though... I was going to argue that making one character purposely weak is a waste of effort.

From that perspective, it would seem kinda likely for them to add another "challenge character"... but they probably won't bring back Pichu. What sort of character would be better suited to be just generally a notch weaker than others? Hmm...

Well, I guess as far as "joke characters" are concerned, there's always the threat of Tingle. :p

Zant3tsuken

Smash Journeyman
Nothing wrong with a Dan type character. If people get enjoyment from it why not, least they don't have to worry about balancing them.

BUR5T

Smash Cadet
Nintendo should jizzust let Blizzard (izzy starcraft wanna be gangsta makes snoopa smiznash brotha tizzy it would be tha mizzost balanced fight'n gizzle ever

DJ_HalJordan

Smash Rookie
dan had top-tier taunts. especially the aerial taunt, which now that I think about it, there should totally be a character that has an aerial taunt in brawl

BoG

Smash Journeyman
First thing that comes to mind is SNK Dan. SF characters for brawl!

Drift

Smash Cadet
Don't forget how he stumbled around in a kind of... game and watch snappy way in another video
I think this is how Nintendo wanted him to be displayed. His personality is that clumsy and funny type. I don't think we can call him a joke character until the game is out because in my opinion, Wario is just being himself.

ALB247

Smash Apprentice
Dan is going to be in Brawl?! That's amazing!

And I'm going to say with 99% certainty, that by joke character, he means a character that is intentionally weak and underpowered (aka Pichu), not just someone with ridiculous moves and playstyles (aka Wario/G&W)

You know...kind've like its stated in the first post of the thread.

But to throw my two cents in, I wouldn't mind a joke character in the least. It's not harming anyone...unless they main that character without knowing.

Takalth

Smash Ace
I second ALB247 on every point, but especially his first. Wario definitely isn't a joke character in the sense that this thread had meant. Read the posts instead of just the thread title.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Wario, G&W and others weren't what was meant.... it was meant to be fighters like Pichu, characters placed in as a joke.

My idea: Magikarp

A: Splash
B: Splash
B-Up: Flop up a little higher
B-Side: Tackle
B-Down: Splash
Taunt: Splash
Final Smash: Transform into Gyrados and layeth the smackdown.

Kirby Hat: Kirby spits out Magikarp no matter what... he hates the taste of it and certainly doesn't want it's "abilities", so he just spits it out. So... no hat..

THAT would be a character that would be the ultimate joke.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
If there is a joke character, they better be a good character to play with against people. That'd be nice.

MyBurden

Smash Cadet
Joke mean underpowered, not funny, Handicapped character may be a better word to use. Like Dan in SF, shortest Haduken ever, short reach, moves with no horizontal reach at all. Hell, they should put Dan in this, he could be like a 3rd party character.

LoserNumber2

Smash Apprentice
My idea: Magikarp

A: Splash
B: Splash
B-Up: Flop up a little higher
B-Side: Tackle
B-Down: Splash
Taunt: Splash
Final Smash: Transform into Gyrados and layeth the smackdown.

Kirby Hat: Kirby spits out Magikarp no matter what... he hates the taste of it and certainly doesn't want it's "abilities", so he just spits it out. So... no hat..

THAT would be a character that would be the ultimate joke
you sir, are awesome...will you have my babies?

lol ;D

Keige

Smash Journeyman
Roy. But reflect how he was before he got the Sword of Seals. All of his attacks do low damage, but have more knockback than normal. Perfect for comboing but bad for killing.

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
I say there should be at least ONE joke character, but make him/her/it/potato an OBVIOUS joke character. Funny moves AND maybe they suck, just for laughs. So you could play your friend who's really good with this crappy character, and both share a laugh at how badly you're about to get smashed!

red stone

Smash Ace
in melee, a lot of characters were jokes. in my circle of friends, bowser is unusable and is the joke character. jigglypuff used to be one too...that is until i set them straight with my amazing rest combos. now apparently jiggly is "cheap"

Noops

Smash Rookie
Just because Wario's absurd doesn't make him useless. Faust in Guilty Gear, anyone? =P

But yes, a comic relief character is always in order.

Top Bottom