• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An evaluation of Ike and a possible theory

Strivus

Smash Cadet
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have been lurking this site since 2006 and have played Smash Bros since it's release. A big time lurker of the boards, I only decided to open up an account this year, (mostly to play people online) but let me get the point.

I recently noticed that the Ike boards seem to have a different atmosphere than other character boards, most posts (legible ones) seemed to be filled with disappointment and wishfulness (I wish Ike had this, Ike had that).

And I think we are looking at Ike the wrong way. I believe Sakurai never intended Ike to be competent 1v1 ( on a serious level anyway, besides the whole ("OMG N00B Killer")

I believe he designed Ike to wreck faces in a FFA and 2v2 environment. In short, Ike thrives on chaos, because in chaotic situations people slip up more often than in one 1v1's.

We all know Ike is the "punish of be punished type of player". And simply, in these types of games, odds are people will make more mistakes (not only because there are more of them, but you have to worry about your partner/other enemies). Ike was made to go into the fray.

Proof? Look at the games Ike has been in.

Ike was beastly in both POR and RD. You could send Ike in into a mass of enemies, and he would solo them with his eyes closed, even before Aether and Ragnell. I've done an Ike only playthrough in PoR, and in all honesty, it was easier then playing the real game.

In RD, while the game itself is harder, Ike is still beastly and can take on multiple enemies.

So let me get straight to the point, I believe we should focus our efforts on Ike is a 2v2 setting. Sure Ike may be viable in 1v1's, but he truly shines in 2v2's which is also growing in a competitive nature. I've been to tournaments in the Montreal area and I've noticed most places are holding 2v2's as much as 1v1's.

And FFA's are held all the time at tournaments either waiting for some matches to finish up to kill time, or just for fun after/before the tournament. Why not show some things there as well.

As a note, I'm not saying "Spam smashes cause you can hit more people" type of thing. I'm just saying maybe were looking at Ike the wrong way, and discuss ways we can improve him in a comptetive 2v2 nature, like potential partners, strategies etc... as well as FFA.

If this has been said before, I apologize and please lock/discard this thread.

EDIT: I'm not saying we should give up on Ike 1v1, I'm just saying maybe we could have threads Ike's further potential in other tournament types.

null55

Smash Master
I mean... it's certainly not an illogical theory, but honestly I'd rather hear wishful thinking than talk about how Ike should be mostly focused on 2v2 or FFA. Although it is plausible, (it's almost unfair how dangerous he is in 2v2), I find it lame and unfair that the developers would create a character who would only be used in those types of fights. (Either way, you really shouldn't base this on how he used in games. In every Mario game, Wario is the fattest slowest mother f*cker, but in brawl he is quick, has high priority, and great mid-air movement.)

So, I disagree. If that is really how he SHOULD be used then Sakurai would have at least included some sort of similar recommendation on the site, which he didn't. Ike is a serious 1v1 character, not a lesser "component" or tool who requires a partner in order to be useful.

He is possibly (and by possibly I mean HE IS) hindered by his moronic fanboys, but he's an extremely viable 1v1 fighter nonetheless.

If RoK is really winning legit tournaments, I'm satisfied.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
even if what you are saying is true it wont work because most of the good Ike players are switching mains now because of how bad the boards are. and even if they stick with ike they stop posting here.

because Ike is the noob killer he is also the noob attraction so we get people coming to tell us how much of a beast he is every other day and its hard to keep an actual helpful thread alive. then theres Ikes who just add to the problem like RoK or comboking.

I don't think it matters how hard we try anymore really. nubs just sign up each day and make these boards worse and worse.

Strivus

Smash Cadet
While I do believe the boards are bad, I hope they won't regress to the Roy boards. In all honestly, I found Ike to be O.K in 1v1's. Now I'm not Ken or M2K, but I do consider myself to be pretty good. Sadly, when your going to a tournament to win, you don't want an O.K character for 1v1, you want amazing. (I use Wario and Marth for 1v1s)

However, recently I have signed up for more 2v2 and I bust out Ike and my partner busts out Marth/Game and Watch, we wreck faces. I mean bad. (Team Attack On Obviously). You've someone who is fast and deal with projectiles, covering Ike's flaws and Ike covers the AOE, KO'ing and priority,

Like I said, this is just theory. I could be horribly wrong, but I thought I would share my hunch with you.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Ike is not that good. Probably low mid in singles. But in doubles is where he should be used. I plan on using him in doubles since he's killing me in singles.

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
You call that a decent Ike? Maybe for casuals. To be honest, I don't have anything to contribute in terms of videos, but even I'm better than that. I know a decent player when I see one. That one certainly didn't have a whole lot going for him. Granted, I only watched the first 90 or so embarrassing seconds of each one, but still. Fairly certain getting juggled when you could cover a 270 degree area around you and sitting above a toon link in the air doesn't do you any favors.

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
your absolutely right. in fire emblem ike is always a front liner or he holds a bridge or area all by himself same in brawl. he is good when its one on one but not as good as in teams of free for all.

and about the ike board. if people like rok weren't here it be much better. hes a dumb *** and hes not that good either.

null55

Smash Master
You call that a decent Ike? Maybe for casuals. To be honest, I don't have anything to contribute in terms of videos, but even I'm better than that. I know a decent player when I see one. That one certainly didn't have a whole lot going for him. Granted, I only watched the first 90 or so embarrassing seconds of each one, but still. Fairly certain getting juggled when you could cover a 270 degree area around you and sitting above a toon link in the air doesn't do you any favors.
I'd like to see you beat Kizzu's Toon Link.

easy mac

Smash Apprentice
I agree that there are plenty of people here messing up the ike forums. i have gone through here looking for helpful tips and all i find is ike is so great he can beat everyone no matter what.....blah blah blah. he is a great character and i main him but he has plenty of flaws and trying to overcome them i come here for advice and find bits and pieces every once and a while. and looking at ike videos of "pros" like kirk,azen, RoK, comboking, and others i have to say that i am 100 times better than them so they need to just shut the f*ck up and quit boasting about how "great" they are.

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
Shiro, I didn't watch the rest of the video-if he beat toon link, good for him. However, that still doesn't change how he noobishly allowed himself to be aerially destroyed. Of course toon link specializes in this, but I spotted quite a few spots where ike could have escaped from those aerial strings or at least protected himself. Maybe it was button lag, but he wasn't doing himself any favors by bending over to get spanked.

Perhaps he played better as the match went on-I dunno. I told you with a disclaimer that I only watched the first minute or so. :p

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
Well, Strivus...It'd be a welcome addition, provided you went in-depth for different character strategies, ways around Ike's terrible recovery using other characters, etc. You know-the works. I think we're all just sick of noobliness. :(

Kirk

Smash Champion
It could be a welcome addition to the current stickies. Feel free to do as you wish :D I can help as well, as I have had plenty of team experience with Ike.

Duker

Smash Journeyman
Perhaps he played better as the match went on-I dunno. I told you with a disclaimer that I only watched the first minute or so. :p
He did. ALOT better. I the first match the good part is at 1:45 and forward until the end. He was really badly ***** in the beginning (as you saw), but he didn't lose another stock after that.

Strivus

Smash Cadet
All right, I'm going to write an Ike 2v2 guide. And Kirk, It would be a pleasure to work with you if you wanted, gimme a PM if you want to.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
^lol Oscar and Ike beast team b*tches cant touch this ****. I beat BK in RD by putting Ike and Oscar within three spaces of each other despite the barrier. Avoid hax ftw!!!! >.<

Hoser

Smash Ace
I find it rather funny that most people find Ike hard to use in a 1v1, but not 2v2. For myself, it's quite the opposite. I wreak house in a 1v1 with Ike, but when more integers come into play, I find myself at a loss. I tend to use Falco in 2v2's.

shinethezombie

Smash Rookie
My personal feeling is that he was meant to keep attackers away. (i know that sounds stupid hope fully it won't after i explain). While ike may be slow he has excellent knock-back and is great at edge-guarding and has three spikes. The aether-spike, which can stop enemies from getting over you; the d-air, which can be used in many situations; the d-tilt, can get enemies close to grabbing the edge but misjudged and went too high. Aether and QD help him get back to the stage and if you successfully spiked there is not need to worry about getting gimped.

forky

Smash Apprentice
Alrighty well... here's a pretty decent Ike versus one the top three users of a "not O.K. but amazing" character.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKZcW3VVQjo

Watch the other four.
You are aware of course he sandbagged that first combo yea? ... Kizzu did impress me, but he spams jump off the side (which is why he got so stupidly spiked) ... if they play eachother regurarily and he still hasn't figured that you can tether through Edgedrop > Aether ... *sigh*

Yeah not impressed, that Ike did some smart stuff, but yeah, fast falling onto his U-airs? Come on ... ><

Top Bottom