• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

an effective way to edge guard

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
Hello guys, i've been around for awhile, but I barely post or participate in discussions, so I thought I might share something interesting.

Following up with the post that the sage put up about edge guarding using grab release( http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=229602 ), The other day I did something interesting.
I was fighting my friend, who uses a good metaknight, and I was on my last stock with 100%+ damage, and him still fresh at 0%. The only way I thought I might be able to get back at that situation was to spike him. So I remembered about the grab-release, and I grabbed him, and grab-released him over the edge, immediatly jumping performing a sh spike.

My friend shuttle-looped right when the hit-stun went away, and my spike sweet spotted him, killing him at 6%.
Although I know this is very situational, I was wondering if this will be true every time. If anybody can test this I think it will be very effective against meta's who tend to shuttle loop by the ledge, whether to stage spike, or whatever. I believe even if he double-jumped, unless he performed an aerial while jumping , the spike would've still hit, and since ness's dair out prioritizes meta's uair, ness still has the upper hand in this situation. What do you guys think? I'll try to test this on my own and post videos and such if it works.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
I've noticed the slight downward angle of the grab release, but I never really thought in depth about it. It seems like a good idea that could work against other characters as well, fastfalling if they go too far down or don't jump in order to try and either hit with the later frames of the sweetspot or sourspot them into a stage spike... This may need a lot of examination and testing against other characters too, but it is almost too situational to be practical.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I'm not really sure how low percent you can go with spiking someone out of a grab release off the stage, but the grab release off the stage does work. I almost did it awhile back. I say almost because I didn't do it correctly seeing it was my first time making that attempt. But yeah, it works. I'm not sure how high the percent needs to be, though.

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
I've noticed the slight downward angle of the grab release, but I never really thought in depth about it. It seems like a good idea that could work against other characters as well, fastfalling if they go too far down or don't jump in order to try and either hit with the later frames of the sweetspot or sourspot them into a stage spike... This may need a lot of examination and testing against other characters too, but it is almost too situational to be practical.
It is situational, but it is possible to lead into it. for example in this particular case, he was about in the middle of FD, nearer to the left side, I faired him to the left, auto-cancelling it, and went straight into a dash grab, which put him right by the edge. I guess what can happen after the release is situational, but it is possible to set up into the position as you can see.

Uffe said:
I'm not really sure how low percent you can go with spiking someone out of a grab release off the stage, but the grab release off the stage does work. I almost did it awhile back. I say almost because I didn't do it correctly seeing it was my first time making that attempt. But yeah, it works. I'm not sure how high the percent needs to be, though.
it really depends on your opponents reaction. For example I've spiked a metaknight at 0%, and he subconciously shuttle looped, ending up below the level and died. characters like wolf with bad recovery is easy to spike too, even if at low percentages.

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
Yea it really depends on your opponents reaction. Some people may try to recover right away, some others, depending on their character may take their time.

For example, a metaknight doesn't necessarily need to jump up or even towards the stage after a grab release. They could jump to the side etc. or tornado back if they want, granted these are unlikely.

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
don't forget pkf and pkt for other options too. If they are at high percentage, you can try to go for a pkt stage spike, and depending on the character, if they double jump or up-b above the surface, you can easily go for a pillar spike x]

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
pk fire off edge > bair stagespike > foe landing back in pk fire pillar > dair

Cazcombo V2? :D

Top Bottom