• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Amiibo General Thread - Complete Smash Bros. Set Now Avaliable!

How do you feel about Amiibos?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
GameStop has yet to screw me on amiibo orders even if they don't have them on release day. I'd like to keep it that way.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
hopeful soon and they stay up
I hope so too... especially after what's happened with Wave 3... with stores refusing to sell me amiibos because I didn't preorder them two or three months prior... I need to preorder them as soon as possible.

I want my Duck Hunt amiibo, dammit!!

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
So according to some guy on Reddit, my Amazon UK will most likely come weeks later than estimated. That blows but it's better than stressing of having to track him down. Unless I manage to just find one in the wild within the week.
Also strange that the Wii Fit I got on eBay was sent back on Tuesday but it says that it barely left New Jersey yesterday. And it's supposed to reach California by Monday?

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Speaking of Wave 3, besides Toon Link, I barely see any of the other Amiibos that were recently released. This was when I picked up my copy of Kirby and the Rainbow Curse at GameStop a couple days ago. No Bowser or anything. Just the Toon Link Amiibo.

I know I've quit collecting these things after my Toon Link Amiibo came in the mail weeks ago, but I hope maybe I'll have some luck trying to get other ones like Bowser & Lucario, for example. I can't get both Rosalina & Villager because, well, you know.

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
Speaking of Wave 3, besides Toon Link, I barely see any of the other Amiibos that were recently released. This was when I picked up my copy of Kirby and the Rainbow Curse at GameStop a couple days ago. No Bowser or anything. Just the Toon Link Amiibo.

I know I've quit collecting these things after my Toon Link Amiibo came in the mail weeks ago, but I hope maybe I'll have some luck trying to get other ones like Bowser & Lucario, for example. I can't get both Rosalina & Villager because, well, you know.
bowser shouldnt be to hard lucario maybe a problem but you an still proably get bowser shiek sonic and mega man easily once they are realeased everywhere

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
So according to some guy on Reddit, my Amazon UK will most likely come weeks later than estimated. That blows but it's better than stressing of having to track him down. Unless I manage to just find one in the wild within the week.
Also strange that the Wii Fit I got on eBay was sent back on Tuesday but it says that it barely left New Jersey yesterday. And it's supposed to reach California by Monday?
If your order comes even a day later than they tell you, you should report it. You can probably get a refund whether your package arrives or not. Their estimate takes into account that you're overseas.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Has anybody else noticed besides the Mario Amiibos, all of the others are either hard to find or too expensive? Seems like it's the case to me because every time I go to either Wal-Mart, GameStop, or Target, the Amiibo section is usually filled with Mario or Peach with an occasional Kirby or Zelda.

Only place I can think of that isn't the case is Toys 'R Us.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think this is no longer true.

Amiibo are already hot. Nintendo have everyone wanting them already. Keeping up artificial scarcity for too long just loses you customers, as it makes people think you genuinely don't have any more to offer, so they spend the money elsewhere. Plus, people simply are just getting sick of these Amiibos being stressful to get, causing violence and theft, etc.

If your product becomes so hard to get that customers are literally causing fist fights and stealing from others over it, then you should probably start actually trying to meet the demand. Otherwise people will give up on it.
I don't agree that 'this no longer serves as marketing.' We are only now approaching a point that even none gamers know what these things are, with big lines outside of stores before release days, with customers even knowing hey need to preorder, with non-gamers such as Family of collectors getting involved. Hell, with the last wave, I was still explaining to the employees what these figures were. The hype is getting more and more real, and the name is getting out there to the world.

It's not as if we have reached a plateau of how known this product is, and while you slate that customers will turn away, I don't really think that is highly the case- it is not as if there is another product that they can turn to, and it is in human nature to want what you cannot have. I see threats from collectors to 'stop collecting' often, and then the next day, they are more involved than ever.

This was a very marketable technique for the ENTIRE AMIIBO LINE, prompting the name to be remembered, even if somewhat in infamy, for all the figures and sets that come after Smash Bros. We are not talking about 'the price not being worth it,' or, 'Should I get the figure?' Instead, in a year when the *small franchise* amiibo is launched, and with a simpler design, anyone who had an experience with this amiibo and may want them will say, "I've gotta get this, and I have to right away." Long term, this drives up amiibo sales for years.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't agree that 'this no longer serves as marketing.' We are only now approaching a point that even none gamers know what these things are, with big lines outside of stores before release days, with customers even knowing hey need to preorder, with non-gamers such as Family of collectors getting involved. Hell, with the last wave, I was still explaining to the employees what these figures were. The hype is getting more and more real, and the name is getting out there to the world. It's not as if we are anywhere near a plateau of how known this product is, and while you slate that customers will turn away, I don't really think that is highly the case- it is not as if there is another product that they can turn to, and it is in human nature to want what you cannot have. I see threats from collectors to 'stop collecting' often, and then the next day, they are more involved than ever.
Amiibos have been hot since they launched. Plenty of non-gamers know what they are, and a lot of Amiibo buyers overlap with the Skylanders/Infinity brands, which includes a lot of non-gamers. Amiibos had been outselling Smash itself really easily too, so it's clear that they have a market outside of the core demographic.

A lot of people genuinely have stopped buying Amiibos due to poor shopping experiences, and due to the violence and theft that has occurred in relation to them. Collectors may only threaten it, but we have a stronger will than some little girl or parent of a little girl who just wants to get a simple toy of Rosalina or something. Not to mention the prices of importing and such, that is again something collectors are more prepared for compared to the average consumer. Negative stuff like that spreads much faster than "hey, Amiibos are fun Nintendo character toys to use in Smash and other games!" - even looking at this topic as an example, we spend FAR more time sharing our poor experiences or celebrating even acquiring ONE Amiibo, than we do discussing the actual functionality, or even the build quality of the things.

Besides, I think the idea that Nintendo is intentionally making shortages is a conspiracy theory at best - I do think they are genuinely just not meeting their demand out of incompetence, not to mention how poor distribution has been. Randomly cancelling nearly the entire stock meant for a continent is not something you do to drive up demand, that means something is ****ing up with your manufacturing and distribution, and it's only going to get you negative attention.

energonkid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Energon_kid
Switch FC
SW-5446-8459-8780
Has anybody else noticed besides the Mario Amiibos, all of the others are either hard to find or too expensive? Seems like it's the case to me because every time I go to either Wal-Mart, GameStop, or Target, the Amiibo section is usually filled with Mario or Peach with an occasional Kirby or Zelda.

Only place I can think of that isn't the case is Toys 'R Us.
Yeah, Target, GameStop, etc. only have :4mario::4luigi::4peach::4yoshi::4dk::4diddy::4zelda:, and Toys R Us has those and :4link::4bowser::4pikachu::4kirby: and an occasional :4samus: &:4tlink:. Ugh this is irritating.

Purio

Smash Cadet
I have ordered a few times from them. Most of the time they came right on time. One time it came a few days later, which they gave an apology and a $5 Amazon Gift Card. Amazon prides itself on delivering things on time, whether it be over seas or not. If you don't get your package on time, they will compensate for it.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Got another Sonic at my local Smyths today. This one is for my friend in New York, since he can't find him anywhere.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
http://www.destructoid.com/presiden...u-s-new-3ds-and-amiibo-shortages-288019.phtml

In today's presentation, we examined the sales of the New Nintendo 3DS overseas. The figures for the first week showed drastically higher adoption rate than during the release of its predecessor. The first shipments to Europe and the United States sold most stock that made it to shelves in the first two (Europe) or three (United States) days. We believe that sales could have been even better in the United States. For the last six months, labor negotiations on the West Coast of the United States have made getting goods to shore slow, as the amount of berths open are lower than usual and therefore the harbors are congested. Many of the goods sent to the U.S. have still not arrived to their destinations. However, this has had little effect on amiibo and software sales as they are light enough that we can ship by air if we have to. [I have no idea what the next sentence is saying.] Even though the New Nintendo 3DS has had the handicap against its supply, the public has still shown huge interest in it and sales are phenomenal. Many think because the New Nintendo 3DS is the second half of this platform cycle, business will steadily continue to shrink. I believe that there is a possibility that we can influence a different scenario to occur.
Prease Undahstand.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Just bought a :4mario: so when I hopefully snag a :4pacman: in the future I'll have the four company mascots. I would've waited to actually get Pac-Man but I didn't want to risk Mario being gone by the time Pac-Man's released.

I'll probably name him Morty or something.

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
Just bought a :4mario: so when I hopefully snag a :4pacman: in the future I'll have the four company mascots. I would've waited to actually get Pac-Man but I didn't want to risk Mario being gone by the time Pac-Man's released.

I'll probably name him Morty or something.
I wouldn't worry about Mario being gone anytime soon. (Mario!Mario will work the same as Smash!Mario)

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
I wouldn't worry about Mario being gone anytime soon. (Mario!Mario will work the same as Smash!Mario)
What Sonicbrawler said. I like the Smash!Mario pose more and I'd like to have the identical black bases. Not to mention the Mario!Mario is only gonna be bundled with Mario Party 10, (at least for a while if I'm remembering what the GS employee said) which means I'd have to buy game a I both don't want and spend way more money than I would for just the amiibo. Should also mention this was the last Mario on the shelf. Didn't want to risk them not having one when I pick up the rest of my wave 3 preorders this week.

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326

PF9

Smash Lord
Well I officially got my Bowser Amiibo today. Won't open it today, watching hockey all day. Today's Hockey Day in America you know.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
And to think, they were so quick to blame the West Coast Port Strike as the reason for amiibo shortages before...

The longer this goes on, the more I'm coming to resent Nintendo's doublespeak. Every day, they're sounding more and more like politicians...
I think the original statement may have been misinterpreted. A lot of people took "Port Strike is effecting Amiibo supply to a degree" as "Port Strike is effecting a LOT of Amiibo supply".

PF9

Smash Lord
So, with Bowser on board I now have 3 Amiibo, I plan to get at least 8 to maximize my Amiibo gift farming opportunities, but I probably won't stop there because there are probably some Amiibo I want that won't be out yet by the time I get to 8.

Kendude

Smash Cadet
So I may need to turn to a scalper for Shulk after all.

Wandered over to EB Games today to ask if I could preorder for the May shipment. I was told that he had no idea there was supposed to be one.

I have no idea what to do now, since I really don't want to wait longer and miss the preorder window and then need to maybe deal with higher scalper prices.

Amiibos are a stressful hobby.

Xavier :D

Smash Ace
NNID
legend_of_xav

Wandered over to EB Games today to ask if I could preorder for the May shipment. I was told that he had no idea there was supposed to be one.

I have no idea what to do now, since I really don't want to wait longer and miss the preorder window and then need to maybe deal with higher scalper prices.

Same here, Shulk looks to be tough to find all over though. This is really bumming me out. Shulk, Meta Knight, and Lucario are the only ones I need to be a completionist.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Shulk can be imported from Japan for a decent price (as in, not scalper level price). I will be importing Shulk, Meta Knight, and Dedede eventually, from Japan.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Just bought Fox off of Ebay. Now to wait for him to show up, and hope my Shulk pre-order for May doesn't get canceled. Seriously crossing my fingers for that.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Yeah, Target, GameStop, etc. only have :4mario::4luigi::4peach::4yoshi::4dk::4diddy::4zelda:, and Toys R Us has those and :4link::4bowser::4pikachu::4kirby: and an occasional :4samus: &:4tlink:. Ugh this is irritating.
I know. From the looks of things, I highly doubt I'll get the Lucario Amiibo either because of how damn pricey it is. @___@

I find it weird that the only Mario Amiibo that is hard to find & expensive is Rosalina while the others are very easy to find. Guess that's what happens when a more popular character is the most sold out of the bunch.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726

Shulk was literally up for preorder at GameStop stores for a day and on the website for 40 minutes. I follow someone that gives out news on when sites have amiibo up to order. Usually they go back down or the website stops functioning 5 minutes later (RIP DeDeDe.) I was just coincidentally on twitter one day and I saw a tweet saying he was up for order at gamestop only if you go to the store. I called 3 local gamestops until 1 said that they did have them to order. I guess some of them were early to get the news and others were too later to even tell their employees because all pre orders were already taken up.

Top Bottom