• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Amiibo General Thread - Complete Smash Bros. Set Now Avaliable!

How do you feel about Amiibos?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Key words there being "in moderation". It's fine if you give some to employees IF there is still enough for consumers. Whether or not employees are customers doesn't really relate to the original discussion (that being whether or not this is GAME's or Nintendo's fault); GAME is giving the employees the perks (or the employees are taking it, whatever), not Nintendo.
No, in moderation simply refers to only letting the employees buy one or two at a time. In the case of King Dedede, Shulk, and Meta Knight, it's looking like stores only got one or two to begin with in the EU, assuming they get ANYTHING (many stores have not - Smyths Ireland completely removed the listings for these characters from their website a day before release, for example, because all of their stock for them has been cut off). Again, read that Reddit post I linked to - retailers were expecting more, but Nintendo cut off their supply. Nintendo's fault.

Nintendo may not be giving out the perks to GAME employees or be in control of the employees, but as one of the largest video game companies in the world, with their OWN retail store in the US, they should be well aware of the concept of employee perks at retailers. They shouldn't be supplying a mere one or two of each figure to retailers. They shouldn't be cutting off supply right before release (and then not tell anyone why). They know full well that any employees that work there, and happen to want the product, will buy it, regardless of stock. There isn't even anything unethical about it. Suppliers are simply supposed to supply enough of a product so that a retail employee's purchase isn't enough to change an "In Stock" to an "Out of Stock". This is common sense.

Note how the employee said that there were amiibo in stock, but the manager jumped in and said that pre-orders weren't allowed. No contradiction here, just bad customer service.
A certain amount of stock is generally allocated to shelves, with pre-order stock being separate. That's why the manager probably chimed in.

Another very plausible explanation (based on the e-mails GAME and other European retailers just sent out), is that they were just finding out about Nintendo cutting their stock below what was predicted. So they held off on pre-orders for the time being so they could re-confirm their stock (and how much of it could be allocated to pre-orders, and how much of it could be allocated to the shelves).

It's bad customer service alright - by Nintendo, that is.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
No, in moderation simply refers to only letting the employees buy one or two at a time. In the case of King Dedede, Shulk, and Meta Knight, it's looking like stores only got one or two to begin with in the EU, assuming they get ANYTHING (many stores have not - Smyths Ireland completely removed the listings for these characters from their website a day before release, for example, because all of their stock for them has been cut off). Again, read that Reddit post I linked to - retailers were expecting more, but Nintendo cut off their supply. Nintendo's fault.
Google Search said:
in moderation: within reasonable limits; not to excess.
Giving employees so much that there's none left for anyone else isn't really "within reasonable limits". If they were expecting more but got less, they could have simply changed plans based on the lower shipment (i.e. giving less to employees so that normal consumers actually have some for pre-order).
Nintendo may not be giving out the perks to GAME employees or be in control of the employees, but as one of the largest video game companies in the world, with their OWN retail store in the US, they should be well aware of the concept of employee perks at retailers. They shouldn't be supplying a mere one or two of each figure to retailers. They shouldn't be cutting off supply right before release (and then not tell anyone why). They know full well that any employees that work there, and happen to want the product, will buy it, regardless of stock. There isn't even anything unethical about it. Suppliers are simply supposed to supply enough of a product so that a retail employee's purchase isn't enough to change an "In Stock" to an "Out of Stock". This is common sense.
If there isn't enough amiibo being produced to give that many to stores, Nintendo won't be able to. If Nintendo doesn't, the store chains should take that into account by limiting how much they give to employees. Also, I doubt it's "a mere one or two" amiibo being bought causing the problem; many stores have multiple employees, each pre-ordering amiibo (and likely the rare ones). GAME shouldn't be cutting off supply to regular consumers before release and not tell anyone why (if they did, I must have missed it). GAME could have stepped in and said "Wait, we need to reserve some of this stock to put up for consumers to pre-order. Okay, this portion of the Shulk amiibo is for consumers to pre-order, and this portion is for employees," or something to that effect. But they didn't. Stores that allow pre-orders are supposed to have enough stock allocated to pre-orders and shouldn't let employees buy enough to change an "In Stock" to an "Out of Stock". This is common sense.
A certain amount of stock is generally allocated to shelves, with pre-order stock being separate. That's why the manager probably chimed in.
If this does turn out to be shelf vs. pre-order as opposed to employee pre-order vs. consumer pre-order, then I understand GAME's actions here. If it's a case of the latter, though, I can't respect what they've done here.
Another very plausible explanation (based on the e-mails GAME just sent out), is that they were just finding out about Nintendo cutting their stock below what was predicted. So they held off on pre-orders for the time being so they could re-confirm their stock (and how much of it could be allocated to pre-orders, and how much of it could be allocated to the shelves).
Very true.
It's bad customer service alright - by Nintendo, that is.
...And GAME. Nintendo didn't make enough stock, but (if the employee pre-order thing is the case, of course) GAME is also at fault for not handling the shortage properly. Both companies screwed up, and this whole thing is sort of a snowball effect.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
While the lack of supply may be Nintendo's fault (which is not only questionable in this scenario, but also isn't necesarily a fault), the lack of communication and clarity of policy is fully on GAME.

I also see why it must be frustrating to have to work to get a product, but it is not as though we are, any of us, entitled to have it. Rare products always require more work, the disagreement seems to be if they should be rare or not. They continue to be because the products continue to be new- we aren't getting just reprints of Mario, we get a new 6 figures roughly every other month. This creates a strain in the market, but it is not an inherent bad thing. Again, we are not entitled to purchase the amiibo.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
While the lack of supply may be Nintendo's fault (which is not only questionable in this scenario, but also isn't necesarily a fault), the lack of communication and clarity of policy is fully on GAME.

I also see why it must be frustrating to have to work to get a product, but it is not as though we are, any of us, entitled to have it. Rare products always require more work, the disagreement seems to be if they should be rare or not. They continue to be because the products continue to be new- we aren't getting just reprints of Mario, we get a new 6 figures roughly every other month. This creates a strain in the market, but it is not an inherent bad thing. Again, we are not entitled to purchase the amiibo.
Right, but it is GAME's (a store chain) duty to provide the common consumer some way to get them, since that's the whole reason they exist in the first place.

Purio

Smash Cadet
Yesterday I was lucky enough to get a Sonic from Toys R Us. By far my favorite! No luck with King Dedede though. I just ordered him on eBay for about $24, just to be done with the search. Also before he jumps higher in price. That only leaves me with Shulk left to get... If GameStop doesn't cancel my preorder again, I should have him in May.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Giving employees so much that there's none left for anyone else isn't really "within reasonable limits". If they were expecting more but got less, they could have simply changed plans based on the lower shipment (i.e. giving less to employees so that normal consumers actually have some for pre-order).
But if Nintendo is cutting the supply so suddenly, what can retailers do? Walk up to the one or two employees who might have pre-ordered (you are seriously exaggerating if you think every store has over 10 employees interested in Amiibos) and say they can't have it anymore? Again, you are trying to bring your own personal ethics into this. Myself, and everybody else (including Nintendo) don't care about that. Retail employees get priority in a lot of places. Constantly cancelling their orders could straight up risk them wanting to quit their job (in the case of Amiibo Hunters who may not be able to get out to buy them elsewhere during their time at work, it very well could lead to that if they felt secure in going somewhere else), and employers don't want that. At the very least, it would definitely cause their own employees to take their money elsewhere. Again - retail employees ARE customers.

GAME shouldn't be cutting off supply to regular consumers before release and not tell anyone why (if they did, I must have missed it).
I already told you numerous times why - Nintendo have cut off the vast majority of supply of these three figures to ALL OF EUROPE. Not just GAME. Every other retailer is having this problem in Europe. It's likely the majority of retail employees looking to get them AREN'T getting them, especially since many retailers aren't getting them in stock at all anymore. I provided you a link, but since you seem to have missed it, here is a quote from it. Kingplayer.de have been sending out this e-mail:

"Dear Customer,

Unfortunately Nintendo without further notice has cut the complete European supply for the current wave of amiibos which resulted in a unbelievable high shortage of Shulk, King Dedede and Meta Knight figures in Europe (i.e. we had early placed and confirmed orders of 700 shulk figures at Nintendo and five other wholesale suppliers, and got delivered only 3 pcs in total this week).

This problem is not exclusively to us but to all European retailers. Even the biggest chain stores only received 1-2 pcs of the three characters. We talked to Nintendo Germany about the situation but at the moment nobody is able to tell an exact date when to expect re-stockage of the items. We receive Amiibo re-supply 2-3 times per week and hope to get your pre-ordered items as soon as possible, but if even Nintendo themselves can not give exact dates it is very frustrating for us as well. However, this problem has not affected the pre-orders for Mega Man and Sonic amiibos.

For customers who have already paid for their orders we offer an optional full refund, if you do not wish to wait."
Again. Nintendo's fault.

Also, another about GAME specifically:

http://www.reddit.com/r/amiibo/comments/2wn9ch/uk_dont_bother_trying_to_find_dedede_shulk_or/

The only stock GAME have are for pre-orders. And they couldn't accept many to begin with. Basically, anyone who pre-ordered early will get one, but pre-orders were gone quickly, and some stores are not even getting enough to fulfill pre-orders. Again, NINTENDO'S FAULT.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'd like to bring up a topic about scalpers for a bit.

Scalpers are customers too... but remember, scalpers hurt business and customer service in the long run... think about it... for example, ten people go to a store and one of them is a scalper... the store has 10 amiibos of a single character... everyone wants it but since the scalper was in front of the line, he gets all 10 amiibos... so who's happy? Only one customer (the scalper)... and who's not happy? The other 9 customers who didn't get the amiibos. These 9 customers criticize the stores and Nintendo, giving them a bad rap.

If that first person wasn't a scalper... or if the store had a one-per-person policy when it comes to amiibos, then all 10 customers are happy because they each got one... or second-best scenario, 9 customers are happy except for 10th customer (the scalper) who only got one amiibo.

Thoughts?

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
But if Nintendo is cutting the supply so suddenly, what can retailers do? Walk up to the one or two employees who might have pre-ordered (you are seriously exaggerating if you think every store has over 10 employees interested in Amiibos) and say they can't have it anymore?
That's what retailers have been saying to regular consumers...
Again, you are trying to bring your own personal ethics into this. Myself, and everybody else (including Nintendo) don't care about that. Retail employees get priority in a lot of places. Constantly cancelling their orders could straight up risk them wanting to quit their job (in the case of Amiibo Hunters who may not be able to get out to buy them elsewhere during their time at work, it very well could lead to that if they felt secure in going somewhere else), and employers don't want that. At the very least, it would definitely cause their own employees to take their money elsewhere. Again - retail employees ARE customers.
I'm fully aware that employees are customers. That is irrelevant to the discussion at hand, which is whether or not it's Nintendo's fault that us regular consumers aren't getting the stock (or rather, that Whatzittooya didn't get any). If stores are giving priority to employees, ethics aside, that's their fault.
I already told you numerous times why - Nintendo have cut off the vast majority of supply of these three figures to ALL OF EUROPE. Not just GAME. Every other retailer is having this problem in Europe. It's likely the majority of retail employees looking to get them AREN'T getting them, especially since many retailers aren't getting them in stock at all anymore. I provided you a link, but since you seem to have missed it, here is a quote from it. Kingplayer.de have been sending out this e-mail:

Again. Nintendo's fault.

Also, another about GAME specifically:

http://www.reddit.com/r/amiibo/comments/2wn9ch/uk_dont_bother_trying_to_find_dedede_shulk_or/

The only stock GAME have are for pre-orders. And they couldn't accept many to begin with. Basically, anyone who pre-ordered early will get one, but pre-orders were gone quickly, and some stores are not even getting enough to fulfill pre-orders. Again, NINTENDO'S FAULT.
And now you're bringing up cases other than the one we are discussing. We're discussing Whatzittooya's issue, are we not? Kingplayer.de =/= GAME. Someone on Reddit =/= Whatzittooya. Those Reddits =/= what we were originally discussing. Mr. Whatzittooya's complaint was that GAME wouldn't let him pre-order when pre-orders were clearly open (they had sold out in an hour according to the manager). That is what the original discussion was, and if we're drifting away from that, I'd like to drop out. I agree with you that the shortage of stock is Nintendo's fault, but GAME not accepting WIT's pre-order is entirely on GAME.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Scalpers are customers too... but remember, scalpers hurt business and customer service in the long run... think about it... for example, ten people go to a store and one of them is a scalper... the store has 10 amiibos of a single character... everyone wants it but since the scalper was in front of the line, he gets all 10 amiibos... so who's happy? Only one customer (the scalper)... and who's not happy? The other 9 customers who didn't get the amiibos. These 9 customers criticize the stores and Nintendo, giving them a bad rap.

If that first person wasn't a scalper... or if the store had a one-per-person policy when it comes to amiibos, then all 10 customers are happy because they each got one... or second-best scenario, 9 customers are happy except for 10th customer (the scalper) who only got one amiibo.

Thoughts?
Well yeah, I agree with that.

However, I'm sick of this false assumption that as soon as a retail employee can't provide you with an Amiibo, they MUST be a scalper buying up all of the stock for themselves. Most retail employees who want an Amiibo just want one. That's assuming they even want any.

That's what retailers have been saying to regular consumers...

I'm fully aware that employees are customers. That is irrelevant to the discussion at hand, which is whether or not it's Nintendo's fault that us regular consumers aren't getting the stock (or rather, that Whatzittooya didn't get any). If stores are giving priority to employees, ethics aside, that's their fault.

And now you're bringing up cases other than the one we are discussing. We're discussing Whatzittooya's issue, are we not? Kingplayer.de =/= GAME. Someone on Reddit =/= Whatzittooya. Those Reddits =/= what we were originally discussing. Mr. Whatzittooya's complaint was that GAME wouldn't let him pre-order when pre-orders were clearly open (they had sold out in an hour according to the manager). That is what the original discussion was, and if we're drifting away from that, I'd like to drop out. I agree with you that the shortage of stock is Nintendo's fault, but GAME not accepting WIT's pre-order is entirely on GAME.
You didn't read a word of that e-mail, did you?

This problem is not exclusively to us but to all European retailers. Even the biggest chain stores only received 1-2 pcs of the three characters.
GAME is one of those "biggest chain stores", FYI.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
You didn't read a word of that e-mail, did you?
Yes, I did. I read it and realized that it wasn't relevant to the discussion at hand (if GAME had too limited of a stock to accept pre-orders, then they wouldn't have put them up in the first place, and they obviously did since they said they "sold out in an hour"), so I dismissed it as such.
GAME is one of those "biggest chain stores", FYI.
I'm aware of that. If GAME didn't get enough stock to accept pre-orders, there would have been no stock that could "sell out in an hour".

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yes, I did. I read it and realized that it wasn't relevant to the discussion at hand (if GAME had too limited of a stock to accept pre-orders, then they wouldn't have put them up in the first place, and they obviously did since they said they "sold out in an hour"), so I dismissed it as such.

I'm aware of that. If GAME didn't get enough stock to accept pre-orders, there would have been no stock that could "sell out in an hour".
This new wave released yesterday in the EU.

Nintendo has only confirmed the cancellation with retailers today (or late yesterday at the earliest).

Do you not see the problem? Do you not see how this effects every single person looking to get one from GAME? And do you not see how this was all beyond GAME's control?

If you can't, you are way too apologetic with Nintendo.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
This new wave released yesterday in the EU.

Nintendo has only confirmed the cancellation with retailers today (or late yesterday at the earliest).

Do you not see the problem? Do you not see how this effects every single person looking to get one from GAME? And do you not see how this was all beyond GAME's control?

If you can't, you are way too apologetic with Nintendo.
I see how this affects people trying to get an amiibo. That is not what WIT was referring to. He was referring to how his GAME store wouldn't accept his pre-order even though pre-orders were open and yet they accepted everyone else's. Again, if you're moving onto another topic, I would like to drop out.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Found Meta Knight sitting on my porch last night. I now have all of Wave 3 accounted for, finally.

Now for the wait for Wave 4 preorders to become available...

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I see how this affects people trying to get an amiibo. That is not what WIT was referring to. He was referring to how his GAME store wouldn't accept his pre-order even though pre-orders were open and yet they accepted everyone else's. Again, if you're moving onto another topic, I would like to drop out.
And a lot of other people had their pre-orders cancelled, because of Nintendo's cancellation stunt. GAME didn't want to take any more pre-orders, like WIT's, when they knew the ones already accepted were not secure as it was. Seems like what any decent retailer would do in this situation.

Again, it's all Nintendo's fault.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
And a lot of other people had their pre-orders cancelled, because of Nintendo's cancellation stunt. GAME didn't want to take any more pre-orders, like WIT's, when they knew the ones already accepted were not secure as it was. Seems like what any decent retailer would do in this situation.

It's not a case of a pre-order being cancelled. It's a case of the store not letting Whatzit pre-order (during the pre-order period, mind you), but then letting everyone else pre-order. If it was a case of what you just described, I would agree, but it's not. At least, that's how it sounds from the way he wrote the post.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Unconfirmed rumor: My contact who works at Target said he's heard all Target stores will be switching to online-only sales of new amiibo. The last wave wasn't worth it to them to manage people lining up in the cold and breaking up fights all month.

As this is just an employee at one Target, it sounded like he meant all Targets but chances are equally good it will only affect some regions, maybe certain cities, or maybe just his specific store... if at all. Take it with a grain of salt, but be prepared in case it's true.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
So I have two Meta Knight.

One was from Best Buy, mailed. The other was from the store.

I've gotta say, this is the first Amiibo I've had directly shipped to my house... and it may be the nicest one.
The Meta Knight I got from the store, in stark contrast, was easily the worst. His entire paint job looked muddy, his face in particular, with so many streaks over it that it looked as easily black as it did gray. The Sword had no sheen, the wings seemed dirty. The box, of course, slightly bent.

The Meta Knight I have from the Best Buy shipping got here not only day of, despite my being told it wouldn't even ship until March 2, but it is ... actually, perfect. I have others that some may find perfect, but even to an extreme perfectionist, this one has no flaws I can find.

I've been trying to not buy from stores, as orders kept getting cancelled. I now must say, however, that after many shippings cross-seas, this is by far the nicest package I've had. This really helped improve my opinion of Best Buy for my amiibo.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It's not a case of a pre-order being cancelled. It's a case of the store not letting Whatzit pre-order (during the pre-order period, mind you), but then letting everyone else pre-order. If it was a case of what you just described, I would agree, but it's not. At least, that's how it sounds from the way he wrote the post.
And he's absolutely sure everyone after him got a pre-order, that was also fulfilled?

If not, then there really shouldn't have been a discussion about this to begin with - he's in the same boat as the rest of us Europeans. Suffering from Nintendo's sudden decision to cancel the majority of their shipment. Retailers are genuinely just trying to do the best they can to fix the mess, they aren't trying to keep the stock from us. There is no point in getting salty at retailers over something Nintendo decided to do.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
And he's absolutely sure everyone after him got a pre-order, that was also fulfilled?

If not, then there really shouldn't have been a discussion about this to begin with - he's in the same boat as the rest of us Europeans. Suffering from Nintendo's sudden decision to cancel the majority of their shipment. Retailers are genuinely just trying to do the best they can to fix the mess, they aren't trying to keep the stock from us. There is no point in getting salty at retailers over something Nintendo decided to do.
I think so; that's what I got from the way he worded it, anyway. If not, then I agree 100%.

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
So I've been hearing Shulk may get a reprint due to Xenoblade Chronicles 3D coming out in April?

Is this true?
Well earlier, after the first shipment of Shulk was sent, Gamestop started preorders for a second shipment of Shulk coming in May.

I got one of the preorders :3

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So I've been hearing Shulk may get a reprint due to Xenoblade Chronicles 3D coming out in April?

Is this true?
I believe that's just speculation for now. Though I have heard word of a bundle in NA with the game and Amiibo.

To us Europeans, we don't even have our INITIAL stock proper yet, so it's kinda irrelevant right now to us...

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I didn't know the reprint was for Xenoblade Chronicles 3D, but I was able to get a order in for May anyway.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

Thoughts?
This is again an example of what stores need to do. All of the Amiibo carriers (in America) are aware of what big-ticket items (by price or by market value) do to consumers. Nintendo, on the other hand, has barely dabbled into merchandise. Stores need to individually set policy on how many items a single consumer can buy (just as they set their situation for preorder and stock management).

Nintendo can benefit from shortages in terms of marketing and desire being driven.
An individual store does not benefit from low stock, as it directly equates to bad sales and publicity for them (even if you just consider them the messenger- which I personally do not)
I think so; that's what I got from the way he worded it, anyway. If not, then I agree 100%.
I got that he did not get to preorder it at all, which is very different than a cancelled preorder. Going to one store at one location and being told you cannot preorder means you can try another store and location. At no point was his order confirmed. This is an extreme deflection of responsibility to call it onto Nintendo.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Nintendo can benefit from shortages in terms of marketing and desire being driven.
I think this is no longer true.

Amiibo are already hot. Nintendo have everyone wanting them already. Keeping up artificial scarcity for too long just loses you customers, as it makes people think you genuinely don't have any more to offer, so they spend the money elsewhere. Plus, people simply are just getting sick of these Amiibos being stressful to get, causing violence and theft, etc.

If your product becomes so hard to get that customers are literally causing fist fights and stealing from others over it, then you should probably start actually trying to meet the demand. Otherwise people will give up on it.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I got that he did not get to preorder it at all, which is very different than a cancelled preorder. Going to one store at one location and being told you cannot preorder means you can try another store and location. At no point was his order confirmed. This is an extreme deflection of responsibility to call it onto Nintendo.
That's what I got too. If it is a case of GAME not letting him pre-order but letting everyone else do the same, I place the blame on GAME. If no one got to pre-order at all, it could just be them not accepting pre-orders due to not having enough stock, in which case I'd place the blame on Nintendo. I'm leaning towards the former though.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037

Is this true?
Not that I remember...but I did preorder my own Shulk amiibo that's expected to come out in May.

By the way, I decided to pick these two up at GameStop earlier.

DSC00452.JPG

I didn't even plan to get Luigi at all since I don't even use him nor the rest of the Mario reps in Smash Bros. except Rosalina. I only bought it for my sister since she keeps pestering me for it.

Mrwhatzitooya

Smash Journeyman
I honestly doubt Nintendo is trying to skimp the market on as many of their products as they are.
I don't blame them if they cannot manufacture enough units at a time, it is just a diferent marketing strategy.
I personally do want all of the amiibo to be launched, before they go back and start reissuing prints. There are fifty figures, waiting on releases continually is daunting and unnecessary. I don't want it to be lulled out for the rest of the 2010s just to fulfill "enough" orders, when we don't know what that means.

Additionally, the lack of supply is creating more and more demand. This is the marketplace, and I don't hold it against them. I know even , in the beginning, said that I may hold off getting some figures until the were given as gits. As I don't have that luxury, I've watched these figures become more an more sought after, as the masses see they must pay attention to get them. In turn, Nintendo is having people pay attention to them, on a very extreme level. Good job on their end. I don't actually think this is going to hurt their core consumers, and they don't have much to lose this way. They would potentially lose me as a consumer, at least of amiibo, if they waited each wave to see how many they needed to make (and then, in America, for the shipments to get here, since we are having issues).s
I can understand where you're coming from, but personally I feel that this might in fact be exactly what they're looking to happen.

They don't make enough. This creates demand as you were saying. However, rather than this being a simple mistake, this seems far more likely to be a marketing ploy. "Get our one of a kind, never to be done again figures! Limited supply, so get going!"

What does everyone do? Rush for the merch, both you and I have had first hand experiences of this problem in the shops, where people fight for their favourite characters (irl smash...?) and shop employees can be extremely unhelpful, or even a hindrance. Reminds me of a certain film actually...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAan-zlc7wI

In short, the market ploys of a company desperate to get back in the lead of the gaming industry has caused a lot of unnecessary frustration and problems for collectors and Nintendo fans all over the world... :/

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
My New York friend wants me to help him out with Sonic but it seems Sonic has kinda sold out fast here(......). My local Smyths might still have him though. Will get me Toon Link, Bowser, or Kirby if I find Sonic (they have become quite scarce in Ireland. Kirby just got a restock at Argos though, so I'll hold off him for a while longer).

I'm really happy I at least secured Sonic for myself.

Also Argos put up listings, but they only have Mega Man available. Doubtful they'll get anyone else. Maybe Sonic, but that's about it.

PF9

Smash Lord
Well, I'm thinking of getting a Bowser amiibo, and naming it Satan. Why would such a name be appropriate? Well, Bowser is one of the most evil characters in video games, and Satan is the Prince of Darkness.

ICXCM

Smash Cadet
Well, I'm thinking of getting a Bowser amiibo, and naming it Satan. Why would such a name be appropriate? Well, Bowser is one of the most evil characters in video games, and Satan is the Prince of Darkness.
Ganondorf is probably closer to the whole Satan mythology.

Also, I'm not the only one who did this, right?

Spoice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
snoopertrooper
I believe that's just speculation for now. Though I have heard word of a bundle in NA with the game and Amiibo.

To us Europeans, we don't even have our INITIAL stock proper yet, so it's kinda irrelevant right now to us...
I swear to god, if this happens with Zero Suit Samus, I'm gonna give Nintendo hell. Speaking of which, does anyone here find it awkward to buy amiibos, especially the female ones? It's the only reason I plan to order ZSS online, be pretty weird walking into a store and buying a figure of a woman in a skin tight suit, especially if the cashier is a woman.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I swear to god, if this happens with Zero Suit Samus, I'm gonna give Nintendo hell. Speaking of which, does anyone here find it awkward to buy amiibos, especially the female ones? It's the only reason I plan to order ZSS online, be pretty weird walking into a store and buying a figure of a woman in a skin tight suit, especially if the cashier is a woman.
I don't really feel awkward. Maybe a little at first, but it's fine now.

Would have happily bought Rosalina locally if she was available in my country. I did get Peach, Zelda, Sheik, and Samus locally (though Peach and Samus were bought along with Diddy, Luigi, and Link, while Sheik was bought with Ike).

im just peachy

Smash Ace
NNID
hiimej
3DS FC
3196-3456-0998
i've bought 3 peach amiibo already, and two zeldas. fight me :4peach::4zelda:

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
I just noticed my Diddy Kong amiibo doesn't have the Nintendo brand on him. lol.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am learning new things about economics from this thread. :awesome:
Found Meta Knight sitting on my porch last night. I now have all of Wave 3 accounted for, finally.

Now for the wait for Wave 4 preorders to become available...
When will that be?

Top Bottom