• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

American Idol

bribri123123

Smash Ace
Hey guys! Anyone watch American Idol? If so your favorite singer? Mine is Alex... HE WILL WIN!!!

D

Deleted member

I honestly don't watch it on a regular basis, but that blind kid is honestly atrocious.

D

Deleted member

That Adam dude? He is absolutely amazing, but unfortunately I hate the type of music he sings.

600 posts!! On my 1-year anniversary!

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I watched this season, but I stopped after the auditions. I only watch American Idol for the idiots that act stupid just to get on TV.

I don't exactly have a favorite, I guess. Adam since that one person above this post said it.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Adam Lambert and Danny Gokey are my absolute favorites this season. I only vote for those two each week.

It is weird getting back into the show. The only other season I bothered watching was season 4 where Carrie Underwood won. It is weird because Carrie is mentioned so much on the show. She apparently had great success while other winners apparently went on unnoticed. I don't even know who won other seasons besides Taylor Hicks.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Uhhh Kelly Clarkson?

I hate Danny Gokey with the passion of 1000 suns. The pimping of the dead wife, the obnoxious dancing, the cheesy song choices, and the lesbian glasses all make me loathe him.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Uhhh Kelly Clarkson?

I hate Danny Gokey with the passion of 1000 suns. The pimping of the dead wife, the obnoxious dancing, the cheesy song choices, and the lesbian glasses all make me loathe him.
Oh, and Kelly Clarkson. XD

I like Danny Gokey. He is up there with Adam Lambert.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
I don't understand why people like him. Or Scott. Neither of them have the vocal talent that they are pimped to be. Danny's gruff power belter has been done before, and much better. Elliot Yamin anyone? And he was deaf.

If Danny Gokey came on stage with Jesus and started curing cancer...I still wouldn't vote for him.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Well, I keep voting for him. Send me money, and I'll stop.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
But why do you vote for him?
Why do you think he is a bad singer? All you've done is state that he is, not why though. Lets learn to state valid points please?

EDIT: Ok you said his style has been done before and better, but this kind of holds true for every contestant. Plus I am sure a lot of people like his look, more than the people who don't I mean.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
http://www.ew.com/ew/package/0,,200...3887239001&bclid=3343000001&bctid=15404465001

^ this pretty much sums up why I hate Danny Gokey.

Let's learn to read Alphican, there are tons of reasons to put the Go in Gokey other than his voice isn't all it's cracked up to be.

This competition isn't and never has been about singing. See Diana Degarmo, Katharine McPhee.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
You cannot prove that the show isn't about singing. It's too bold of a statement to say. You may have interpreted it as such because maybe one season you disagreed with the who the winner was and came to the conclusion that the only way they won is because America had sympathy for them, or they were won over by their looks, or background story. But the truth is, the only explanation that the show itself gives is that the person who won is the best singer. If you want to believe that the show is not a singing competition then do so, but you literally have no legitimate reason to disagree, only an opinion which is probably wrong.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
At the point in which Cowell said this during the Wild Card episode

"We've gotta cast this next stage. We're not just going to put the boring singers through. We're going to put some personality through as well."

it pretty much delegitimizes any remaining credibility Idol had as solely a singing contest. This year alone there have been several good singers, Felicia Barton, Ricky Braddy, who were passed over for other more "commercial" singers who didn't have equal singing talent. This isn't a singing competition. It's a reality show and its purpose is to make money. If the show were really about singing, the producers would have never pimped out Fantasia or Taylor, or what they're doing now to Gokey. The show pimps these people out because they have engaging back stories; Gokey's dead wife, Fantasia being a single mother at 19, Taylor with his crazy hair, etc because they make for good TV. It's like why Tatiana was brought back as a wild card this year so the show could ring a little more drama out of her crazyness.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
D'oH, it seems that you view the competition as strictly a demonstration of technical vocal ability. It's not. To succeed in the music business, you have to have personality, composure, and likable features. That is why there are technical voice auditions first (the 100k auditions) and then performance and presentation auditions. I don't think American Idol ever pretended to be strictly a singing competition where vocal talent was the only thing that mattered. If that was true, they wouldn't put these people on stage. The contestants would just sing recordings and have them played back during the show. Plus, America votes. I guarantee that very few people watch the show in a purely objective light. Everyone just becomes emotionally invested in particular singers.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Well that's what I would view it as if I thought American Idol was strictly a singing competition, but that's obviously not the case. Are you sure that post should have been directed at me? Obviously it's not strictly a singing contest, if it were, Diana and Katherine would have been crowned victorious their seasons.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
You're devoting so much energy to mocking Danny's (and others') background stories like they're somehow invalid to the competition. I'm trying to point out that those background stories are significant and valid in this competition.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
I think the way Danny has presented his back story is beyond crass and grotesque, and that's why I dislike him.

Preserving the memory of your wife is a personal matter, not a way to get votes on a reality show from millions of people who didn't know her. The poor sartorial choices and bad dance moves aren't doing the ghoulish widower any favors in my book.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I think the way Danny has presented his back story is beyond crass and grotesque, and that's why I dislike him.

Preserving the memory of your wife is a personal matter, not a way to get votes on a reality show from millions of people who didn't know her. The poor sartorial choices and bad dance moves aren't doing the ghoulish widower any favors in my book.
That's fine for you to think that. Personally, I think it is important for fans to know what he has been through. I view it as him being honest and opening up to his fans. You view it as manipulation.

May the most votes win. :)

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
LOL! I submit votes for Danny and Adam every week.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
<.< I'm liking Kris and Allison every week. I hope they go far. And while I'm not really a big fan, I find Adam and Megan entertaining to watch. Danny makes me cringe.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Scott's getting the boot in a few weeks. Paula started dipping her toes in the water of critiquing him. His story arc is to end with around a 7th/8th place finish.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I do agree with D'oh to some extent. Taylor Hicks should have never won American Idol. He is the biggest noboday and one of the worst singers I have ever heard.

Regarding this season, um wow, Megan Corkrey is easily my favorite. I'm sad that no one here has mentioned her yet.

Top Bottom