• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ambitions as a Plumber; A Mario FAQ

mario-man

Smash Lord
LOL

But I AM a tournament goer, I just haven't gotten to yet. I'm a tournament goer though. I would go to a tournament had I the chance/money/ride. I'm a tourney goer, believe me.

Zackular

Smash Cadet
Well, I've been to a tournament, but I consider myself nothing close to a "Tournament Goer"

I was just at MMFE4. I'll be at more, though, to properly claim my title as "The Best Mario in Massachusetts"

B.W.

Smash Champion
Ahh, you guys are silly.. But that's not what I came in here to say.

I came to ask, what's a good way to keep Samus, Jiggs, and Peach off the **** stage after I attempt to blast them to kingdom come.

Jiggs I usually don't try to kill from the side, cause trying to do so is just silly. But the character I have the most trouble with is Samus. Can anyone help me out?

-PM-

Smash Ace
Sadly, you are wrong. XD

I have videos of you to watch so I know how good you are. You have no way of knowing how good I am except what I say. I'm pretty sure I could beat you. Only reason I couldn't is because I have never played against someone better than my sister. She sux at the game cuz she thinks it's boring. (I wonder why, all she does is spam Marth's neutral A & B attacks against lvl 5 comps. that's pretty boring if you ask me.) So, the only reason you could beat me is mindgames. However, mine would develop quickly, and you'd be finished. MWAHAHAHAHA
lol mario man cause you know thats my avrage you wouldnt know would you? and i have people here to play against that make me better then i could be if i didnt have anyone to play against and no im not the best out of my friends so im always getting better.

Arguments between non-tournament-goers about who is better are hilarious.
HEY! iv been to a few =P lol but no i dont go to any main ones... yet (i cant wait to get knocked out first round =D lol)

Ahh, you guys are silly.. But that's not what I came in here to say.

I came to ask, what's a good way to keep Samus, Jiggs, and Peach off the **** stage after I attempt to blast them to kingdom come.

Jiggs I usually don't try to kill from the side, cause trying to do so is just silly. But the character I have the most trouble with is Samus. Can anyone help me out?
uhm fireball samus supid bomb jump it works better on her then most characters or if shes on the wall with her beam thing id jump down and bair her off the side. but i dont have that much experence with samus so im not to sure

mario-man

Smash Lord
*SIGH*

I'll have to prove it I guess. I'll have to be that person that always says he's good and no one believes him until he whoops their butt. LOL

Eggz

Smash Hero
Are you that one guy that used to be active in WA? Your name was just like "Wiiii" or "Mouseboy" or something?

And you have a tournament tomorrow? Where at? Whats the entry fee, I might go. (I live in WA)

maelstrom218

Smash Lord

There's really no sure-fire way to edgeguard any of them. . .particularly Peach and Jiggs, as they can come in from above. If they do that, there's really nothing that you can do to stop them, except try and guess where they'll float towards and throw out some random b-airs/u-airs. If either of them come in from below, canceling a wavedash off the stage into an immediate fastfalled b-air is your staple, and pretty effective move.

For Samus, it's actually a bit easier, because her recovery is a lot more conventional. Fireballs from afar to take out her bombs (which severely limits her recovery) is a very good tactic, but difficult to pull off. If the Samus is up-b'ing to sweetspot, caping is decent, as it'll push her above the edge and onto the stage, where you can d-smash/f-smash.

If the Samus is sweetspotting with the grapple, you can cape it by running off the stage and trying to intercept her grapple. If you let the Samus grapple on, you can run off and do a fastfalled b-air to hit the Samus into the stage and try to stage-spike her as she's retracting. Or, you can try and get her as she's retracting her grapple by shffl'ing a d-air, f-air, or timing a down-angled f-tilt/f-smash on the stage.

-PM-

Smash Ace
Need Help

well i have my friend hes my best friend but since iv gotten idk 10 times better hes angry cause we're extremely close and now hes complaining because i juggle him with utilts and jab alot more then i used to and i guess it annoys him should i just ignore the fact that he gets pissy with me or try to do a different move or something? lol

on a side note i extremely want to see mealstrom, mario man, and face play cause iv been wondering alot lately and its bugging me...

go record something you guys

mario-man

Smash Lord
Well -PM-, If I've got Ahisma Trance or Control Freak Vs. Timetravel or Italobrothers playing in my earbuds, I'm pretty dogone good. :p
I honestly can't wait til I can record some matches Vs. a lvl 5 Fox. XD

Chivalruse, What are you talking about? I'm not in Massachusetts. LOL

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
well i have my friend hes my best friend but since iv gotten idk 10 times better hes angry cause we're extremely close and now hes complaining because i juggle him with utilts and jab alot more then i used to and i guess it annoys him should i just ignore the fact that he gets pissy with me or try to do a different move or something? lol

on a side note i extremely want to see mealstrom, mario man, and face play cause iv been wondering alot lately and its bugging me...

go record something you guys
Sure, try mixing some U-airs into those Utilt juggles and piss him off even more, heheh.

I'd like to show everyone some of my Mario's mustache powers PM, but first I need a decent camcorder... which for some reason costs money. And then for some other reason it wouldn't be too wise for me to use said money. So sad.

I will tell you that I am definitely not an amazing player; just decent. I'm no novice like that Eggz guy. XD

I bet I'm the best hemiplegic smasher you'll ever see though.

B.W.

Smash Champion
There's really no sure-fire way to edgeguard any of them. . .particularly Peach and Jiggs, as they can come in from above. If they do that, there's really nothing that you can do to stop them, except try and guess where they'll float towards and throw out some random b-airs/u-airs. If either of them come in from below, canceling a wavedash off the stage into an immediate fastfalled b-air is your staple, and pretty effective move.

For Samus, it's actually a bit easier, because her recovery is a lot more conventional. Fireballs from afar to take out her bombs (which severely limits her recovery) is a very good tactic, but difficult to pull off. If the Samus is up-b'ing to sweetspot, caping is decent, as it'll push her above the edge and onto the stage, where you can d-smash/f-smash.

If the Samus is sweetspotting with the grapple, you can cape it by running off the stage and trying to intercept her grapple. If you let the Samus grapple on, you can run off and do a fastfalled b-air to hit the Samus into the stage and try to stage-spike her as she's retracting. Or, you can try and get her as she's retracting her grapple by shffl'ing a d-air, f-air, or timing a down-angled f-tilt/f-smash on the stage.
Okay, cool. Thanks.

Eggz

Smash Hero
Well -PM-, If I've got Ahisma Trance or Control Freak Vs. Timetravel or Italobrothers playing in my earbuds, I'm pretty dogone good. :p
I honestly can't wait til I can record some matches Vs. a lvl 5 Fox. XD

Chivalruse, What are you talking about? I'm not in Massachusetts. LOL
You should delete ahisma trance, thats terrible. xD Go get my new mix.

Sure, try mixing some U-airs into those Utilt juggles and piss him off even more, heheh.

I'd like to show everyone some of my Mario's mustache powers PM, but first I need a decent camcorder... which for some reason costs money. And then for some other reason it wouldn't be too wise for me to use said money. So sad.

I will tell you that I am definitely not an amazing player; just decent. I'm no novice like that Eggz guy. XD

I bet I'm the best hemiplegic smasher you'll ever see though.
Hey, novice pride buddy.

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
Hey, novice pride buddy.
Yeah, I do WISH I was a novice though, because then I could go to your awesome parties full of female asian smashers. If you let me go to one anyway I could use my french toast making prowess to breakfastify everyone the next morning.

Man, I've basically just been spamming here lately. I would ask questions, but the only thing that comes to mind are shield pressuring techniques; and that be some complex mess.
The main ones that I know of are full-jumped DAir to BAir/NAir/UAir, FAir in general (but preferably full-jumped and fast-falled), and I've noticed a few occaisions of Eggz doing a rising full-jumped UAir to fast-falled UAir... which looks really sexy.
I wonder if any of that made sense. XD Anyways, anyone have a quick mention to add on to that list of shield-pressuring stuff?

Eggz

Smash Hero
I love shield pressuring. I do a ton of weird things I can't describe LOL one in particular thats really good...I can't remember what it is though. >_<

Xephalon

Smash Journeyman
im starting to use Mario and I'm having alot of trouble doing the U-air combo I'm not exactly sure what i need to complete it.can you please help me?

mario-man

Smash Lord
You should delete ahisma trance, thats terrible. xD Go get my new mix.
Eggz, you are funy. I LOVE AHISMA TRANCE!!!!!!! It's one of your best ones. I already have your new one DLed and it's SWEET!!!! You need to make some more with that similar speed, cuz I'm improving every time I pick up the controller, and I need something faster to keep me striving to keep up with the music. Now, Ahisma Trance is what I play FIRST to warm up to. Then it leads into CF vs Tt, then Italobros., then your new one. MAN, WITH THAT LINEUP IT'S NO WONDER I'M SOOO GOOD AT THIS GAME!!!!! Yeayuhhhz!!!! I'm comin for ya!!! I'm gonna be the best ever!!! I'm SERIOUS!!!!!!

LOL

Now that I've gotten that out there in the open.......

-PM-

Smash Ace
Eggz, you are funy. I LOVE AHISMA TRANCE!!!!!!! It's one of your best ones. I already have your new one DLed and it's SWEET!!!! You need to make some more with that similar speed, cuz I'm improving every time I pick up the controller, and I need something faster to keep me striving to keep up with the music. Now, Ahisma Trance is what I play FIRST to warm up to. Then it leads into CF vs Tt, then Italobros., then your new one. MAN, WITH THAT LINEUP IT'S NO WONDER I'M SOOO GOOD AT THIS GAME!!!!! Yeayuhhhz!!!! I'm comin for ya!!! I'm gonna be the best ever!!! I'm SERIOUS!!!!!!

LOL

Now that I've gotten that out there in the open.......
you should just have eggz make a folder and upload it somewhere of all the techno he has its HUGE lol i have 17 giggz of the stuffz lol

mario-man

Smash Lord
You already gave me that link. I downloaded them, but I didn't really care for most of them. Just the previously mentioned ones. Some of them I just didn't like. He's good though. DANG GOOD!!! Don't take me wrong here.

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
im starting to use Mario and I'm having alot of trouble doing the U-air combo I'm not exactly sure what i need to complete it.can you please help me?
Well uh, your question is kind of vague; but I can try.

First, get your timing down for the SHFFed UAirs so that it auto-cancels and thusly doesn't need to be l-canceled... this helps a lot.

Before you can UAir combo them, you have to get them above you. A DThrow followed by an UTilt if needed should suffice, but I'm personally partial to doing a delayed UAir (delayed as in doing the attack just a little before landing) followed immediately by an UTilt.

Now you basically SHFF UAirs into them, doing angled jumps as needed. I know I'm oversimplifying it... but that is hard to explain further. If they get out of a preferable position, you can UTilt them again to sort of reset them.

Note that you need to learn at what percentages each character can be caught in this. For example, If I remember correctly you should start this around 50-70% on a Sheik.

Oh, and don't just focus on learning this one thing... Mario can do other spiffy stuff too.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Oh, and don't just focus on learning this one thing... Mario can do other spiffy stuff too.
SHABAWD FTW!!!! Also, SHed Bair FF FTW!!! Eggz is da bomb at it. Yayuhhhz!!! Plenty of other spiffy stuff too. One other thing to look forward to doing is WDing back and forth all over the crapload of real estate known as the levels.

mario-man

Smash Lord
This is getting scary here...

SOMEBODY ACT LIKE A HUMAN BEING HERE!!!! WILL YA!!!

LOL

Drift

Smash Cadet
Help please. I am trying to learn how to wavedash and can do it like 7/10 times when in training (going around stage) and I can't AT ALL do it i game even versus a lvl 1. I can't dash because i cant timing down and I take too long. Ive been doing it for the past 3 days and spent4 hours today and nothing is happening...any suggestions?

mario-man

Smash Lord
Just practice man. That's about it. The only thing you can do is practice. You'll get it down. Even the Pros mess up about 1 time in every 20 attempts so...don't feel too bad about it.

Top Bottom