• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ambitions as a Plumber; A Mario FAQ

j3ly

Smash Champion
dair shouldn't do alot if u ASDI and SDI the hits. however what u said is very very interesting i want to look at it myself so i can understand what u mean a bit better

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
iirc peach can do fc nair -> jab -> grab mix ups and you arent able to shield grab.

i think you have a two frame window in which you can shield grab fc nair -> dsmash.

inb4kksaysidontknow****aboutshieldstun

Blanky

Smash Journeyman
cant shieldgrab after a float cancelled nair if the peach knows what it's doing. i think up b oos works best. i've never tried a usmash oos though.

j3ly

Smash Champion
we can come oos with a down cancel to counter the jab and followup from that, but a smart peach will adapt quickly and dsmash after her nairs if that situation comes around again.

she has 4 frames of AC landing lag of a FC, jab HB is frame 2, so thats 6 frames we have between the nair hitbox and the jab hitbox, assuming we get hit with the final hitbox that nair is out. which it should be about 1/2 the time, 1/3 if ur amazing and like mango. unfortunaly i dont know **** about shield stun but if we were to down cancel her nair the following would apply: (lol had to edit this entire post when i remembered about shield stun :'(

if its at low %'s and we down cancel the nair, our dsmash comes out on frame 5, so we could technically down smash every single time she chooses to jab. if she is not frame perfect (ie gives us 1 extra frame) we can grab, as that comes out on frame 7

lets say i am 1/2way through my grab animation and peach jabs me, does it cancel the grab hitbox if i get hit, even while downcanceling?

what a mess of a post, i got confused and edited it like 3 times now my food is ready and ive given up.dont take this as law because i am 100% sure some of the info is incorrect

Blanky

Smash Journeyman
we can come oos with a down cancel to counter the jab and followup from that, but a smart peach will adapt quickly and dsmash after her nairs if that situation comes around again.

she has 4 frames of AC landing lag of a FC, jab HB is frame 2, so thats 6 frames we have between the nair hitbox and the jab hitbox, assuming we get hit with the final hitbox that nair is out. which it should be about 1/2 the time, 1/3 if ur amazing and like mango. unfortunaly i dont know **** about shield stun but if we were to down cancel her nair the following would apply: (lol had to edit this entire post when i remembered about shield stun :'(

if its at low %'s and we down cancel the nair, our dsmash comes out on frame 5, so we could technically down smash every single time she chooses to jab. if she is not frame perfect (ie gives us 1 extra frame) we can grab, as that comes out on frame 7

lets say i am 1/2way through my grab animation and peach jabs me, does it cancel the grab hitbox if i get hit, even while downcanceling?

what a mess of a post, i got confused and edited it like 3 times now my food is ready and ive given up.dont take this as law because i am 100% sure some of the info is incorrect
oh man that was messy haha. by down cancel do you mean crouch cancelling? or something else?

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
shield grabbing peach isnt easy. if the peach is good you wont get it. seriously wd back angled up fsmash ***** so hard. or just wd back then wd back toward her for a grab .bait her to land

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
I'm pretty new to the Mario boards, though I've been here awhile, but wouldn't marth be mario's worst matchup?

If this marth knows how to space properly, there's no way we can touch him at all.. Sure we can try fireballs, but won't his fairs take that out? I suppose shieldgrabbing MIGHT work but, still, his grab has way more range than ours does..

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
lol. hey I just watched that mariotality 2 vid, any1 know the name of the first song?

Anyways, I've been playin around w/ mario, he seems pretty fun. Don't know if he'd be my main though, since I'm more focused on winning. Not saying Mario is bad, but you know.. it's mario.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm pretty new to the Mario boards, though I've been here awhile, but wouldn't marth be mario's worst matchup?

If this marth knows how to space properly, there's no way we can touch him at all.. Sure we can try fireballs, but won't his fairs take that out? I suppose shieldgrabbing MIGHT work but, still, his grab has way more range than ours does..
Wavedashing out of shield, crouch shenanigans -> F-smash, and the fact that Marth is really easy to gimp make Marth far from being Mario's worst matchup.

Most of Marth's moves aren't technically safe on shield unless he's specifically fastfalling aerials, which has a level of precommitment. If he's doing rising aerials or if you have him caught in any other situation with less than optimal spacing, ducking and F-smashing usually punishes his aerial (crouch canceling is also usually good against Marth). You can juggle him quite well with D-throw -> U-tilt/U-airs and a single B-air offstage is usually enough to gimp his recovery.

Marth however is definitely a very FRUSTRATING matchup if your reactions and technical skill are not spot on. But I believe other characters besides Marth do a better job of keeping Mario out. Marth also doesn't kill Mario nearly as quickly as other characters do provided you have good DI.

lol at Link and Young Link being bad for Mario. I'm pretty certain Mario chaingrabs both of them and his edgeguards on them are really good. Plus he actually outspams them and thus can play keepaway better. Falco is Mario's worst matchup if you ask me.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
all you have to do against ylink is stay on top of him. DONT let him pull out a bomb. shffl nairs in his face. do the same to link. then get a grab and go crazy.
samus tho
is super hard

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
vs Samus is like vs Peach, except spacing F-smash is less effective, and D-throw combos don't work nearly as well. She has a slightly harder time killing you, and I guess she doesn't have that broken D-smash or float canceling (although her landlag is still VERY low), and honestly that's about it. Dumb matchup for sure.

And one combo I really recommend Mario users use more is F-air -> D-smash/Grab.

j3ly

Smash Champion
Wavedashing out of shield, crouch shenanigans -> F-smash, and the fact that Marth is really easy to gimp make Marth far from being Mario's worst matchup.

Marth also doesn't kill Mario nearly as quickly as other characters do provided you have good DI.

alco is Mario's worst matchup if you ask me.

s Samus is like vs Peach, except spacing F-smash is less effective
swer downnnnn u talk so much gas, especially since u got that fancy blue name
a good marth has alot of options, and can make edgeguarding pretty much a 1/4 chance, maybe 1/6 chance in some situations. those are terrible odds if u ask me

marth tips us to hell, and utilt kills easy. he also gimps us good.
his problem is when we get above 150%

ur entitled to ur opinion but i think ur the only one on the boards who thinks falco is the worst mu.

the ONLY similarity in peach + samus matchup is that we can uair blind em both surpisingly well. that is all. samus is actually easy to edgeguard, even with the insta-teather-sweetspot thing. i am also of the opinion fsmash works alot better VS samus than VS peach.

opinions are fine but flat out incorrect information is bad. comments like the marth one make the people u play with sound bad, and the falco makes you sound bad. marth has a FRIKKIN sword and mario has a **** REFLECTOR. geeeeeeez (bad day can you tell?? lol)

fair -> grab is ****. fair -> dsmash saps confidence if you can get it twice in a row

j3ly

Smash Champion
oh my dayzzzzzzzzz i never double post but this one deserved its own post!

Most of Marth's moves aren't technically safe on shield unless he's specifically fastfalling aerials, which has a level of precommitment.
bamsey get in here and give ur 2 cents (or 3 dots) haha.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
swer downnnnn u talk so much gas, especially since u got that fancy blue name
Me being a Smash researcher has nothing to do with Melee and my opinion of it.
a good marth has alot of options, and can make edgeguarding pretty much a 1/4 chance, maybe 1/6 chance in some situations. those are terrible odds if u ask me
If he recovers high, it's a 50/50 between his airdodge and other stuff, and him getting hit after expending an option usually = gimp. If he's recovering low, he really shouldn't make it back due to how well ledgedrop B-air gimps his Up-B.

marth tips us to hell, and utilt kills easy. he also gimps us good.
his problem is when we get above 150%
Marth's tipper is pretty stupid, but he can't really combo into it against Mario that well. U-tilt is annoying mainly if you bite it and get juggled. He does gimp your low recovery pretty well, but not quite as well as Mario is able to gimp his recovery (his D-air edgeguard is somewhat telegraphed, if you space your recovery to avoid getting spiked by that, you still have a chance of making it back with good DI). And of course teching his F-smash edgeguard isn't that hard.

ur entitled to ur opinion but i think ur the only one on the boards who thinks falco is the worst mu.
Mario gimps Marth almost as easily as he gimps Falco (one hit offstage = gimp), and it's also much easier for him to approach Marth and trick Marth into spacing shenanigans that can be punished (F-smash is actually landable against Marth...not so much against Falco). Marth also hates CCing, while Falco doesn't care about it at all unless he's D-tilt killing you at like 115%.

the ONLY similarity in peach + samus matchup is that we can uair blind em both surpisingly well. that is all. samus is actually easy to edgeguard, even with the insta-teather-sweetspot thing. i am also of the opinion fsmash works alot better VS samus than VS peach.
You can't really easily set up U-air blinds against a good Samus, since she's too heavy and floaty for your D-throw to really combo.

Ledgedrop B-air is fine against Samus, except it's never going to kill her. On stages not named YI, she's perfectly capable of tethering outside of your edgeguard zone as well.

And the main reason I don't think F-smash is that good against Samus is because she plays defense better than Peach. Peach usually is a more aggressive character, and thus is more prone to getting baited into making reckless approaches. However there is a reason the other character is called "Spamus". Plus Samus's tilts generally speaking better ground spacers than most of Peach's options.

opinions are fine but flat out incorrect information is bad. comments like the marth one make the people u play with sound bad, and the falco makes you sound bad. marth has a FRIKKIN sword and mario has a **** REFLECTOR. geeeeeeez (bad day can you tell?? lol)
I dunno, I think most Mario users overlook really simple things in a lot of matchups since my Mario is much more conservative than most (I know from watching your Mario that you're MUCH more aggressive than I am). I don't think my information is exactly incorrect. My opinion could probably be related to my style preference though. Fundamentally, I don't like betting on my opponent making technical errors. That's probably the main reason I really dislike the Falco matchup in general.

And at any rate, Link and Young Link have a sword, and Mario destroys both of them.

j3ly

Smash Champion
tl:dr but i caught the last paragraph

Link and Young Link are garbage because they have very few easy to land, reliable setups that lead into pure filth. Also, there is not a colony of very skilled players representing them who share tactics of landing said filth.

except FH fair -> jab

Blanky

Smash Journeyman
how do u wdoos if u use L for everything?
jump oos and immediately press L again for the wavedash. just be sure to jump before you flick your control stick or you'll roll. luckily for me, i use L for L-cancelling and shielding, and R for wavedashes :)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm pretty sure the majority of people do what Blanky does when L canceling and wavedashing. That I believe includes me.

Blanky

Smash Journeyman
yeah i think most people use the L and Rs the way i do. not positive though haha. it's just more convenient! makes everything less complicated.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
tl:dr but i caught the last paragraph

Link and Young Link are garbage because they have very few easy to land, reliable setups that lead into pure filth. Also, there is not a colony of very skilled players representing them who share tactics of landing said filth.

except FH fair -> jab
I'll play you with my young link. I'l show you the meaning of set ups. and thats a 50 50 mu. and largely stage dependent.

marth and samus imo are the worst mus for mario.

both are easily 70 30

Top Bottom