• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Amature revalations.

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
This is a thread for the average DK mains to just post down Random situational techniques/combos that they have used and found to work.

it seems to me aht most of the threads here are about the most groundbreaking techs, stragities, and match up tips.

But it seems to me tha the pro DK players do amazing things all the time that they take for granted.
They have combos and strats that become second nature to them. That they learned gradually.

This is a thread for posting such things. Typing out a revalation that you just came by. Even if its nothing new to the community as a whole.
Typing it out and reading about it can help you keep it as a tool in you toolbelt.

And there are other amateur DKs who will read these things and it may help they get over a hump.

For example:

I recently discovered that a shorthoped Dair while close to the ledge can be amazing.
A fillhopped Dair will not hit anyone, and the landing lag on the shorthopped Dair is just too much.

However, if someone is standing near the ledge, run towards them, short hop Dair,and let yourself fall off the ledge. Then you can jump back on the stage with a Bair, which will often hit the other guy as he may still be in his hitstun.
Or you could simply jump back on the stage, walk a little bit past the hitstuned opponet, and use the back end of your Utilt to hit them up and away from the stage.

You may not think that you would have many opportunities to SH Dair someone who is standing by the ledge, but you can Dtilt someone towards the ledge and when they trip, go for the Dair.

Thats something that ripple might say either "duh" or "a good player would get past that".
But it could really help is amateur players.

Or it could be as simple as:
"hey guys. I was in a slump, but what really pulled me out of it was practicing attacking out of a walk. I suggest going into training mode, putting the CP on walk, and pratice walking towards him and walking away from him to hit him with the tip of your Fmash out of your quick walk."

So ya... feel to for advice here, or give advice that might be obvious to people who have been in the meta game for awhile.

ook

Smash Lord
Good thread

Something I've noticed in the last couple weeks and it's working - if someone blocks your punch, do a C-stick fsmash right away. The punch has surprisingly little ending lag, so sometimes people drop their shields and try to rush in with a punish. And they get a face full of monkey arms :)

Also, if you're on the ledge, climb up and do a punch right away. It's the same thing as the one above, they try to rush in and punish once they see you're not doing a get-up attack, but they get punched instead

magikguy

Smash Lord
cargo down throw as a gimp but follow their jump with the spinning kong. If you time it right you gimp their jump and you can recover safely.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Yeah I've been using whiff f smash to punch or punch to down smash, sometimes even fsmash, punch, down smash.

pivot grab after a few up tilts at low percents is amazing.

Veggi

Smash Champion
tCargo, jump off the edge (jump, not drop), cargo down throw, jump, fair. People jump into the fair so much and it kills early.

Cargo someone and just spin around over and over until they release. After that just shield and you can counter so easy, if Marth tries to up b out it's amazing. You shield his up b and you can just fsmash as he comes down.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
I like this thread. Cool idea.

Something I do now that I use to never do is Dthrow > regrab at low percents

blakinola

Constantly Delicious
running up+b towards the edge of the stage will force them off if they are near there. It's only punishable by Marth and MK methinks. If they have the audacity to shield again, re-helicopter.

nash123

Smash Journeyman
On BF mainly i do this as im not sure if this works on any other stages, but as most of you know upsmashing someones shield causes them to slide a bit on the platforms and knocks them off sometimes. Well heavier characters can't jump in time before they hit the ground, so I took this and combined it with dtilt and its amazing.When they hit the ground off falling from the platform you can dtilt them and it forces them to stand up in place leaving you to do whatever you feel is needed. Hopefully this isn't known.

EDIT: Gotta do jab at higher %s, works the same way though, also forward b ***** as a follow up.

crifer

Smash Lord
decrease the sheild by, upB or donwB and immediately follow up with your back turned to them,
in order to make them think you do a bair, and then BAM aerial headbutt=
broken sheild^^

Other than that I sometimes do a few uptilts at very low % and follow up with dsmash,
works suprinsingly good^^ But of course you can DI out of it.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
This has been stated before, but after a down throw, run passed them and pivot grab. For some reason a lot of dk's don't do this.

DK doing a pivot grab is pointless to like what bigfoot said upB. I dont think its possible to do a Dthrow to pivot grab since DK is slow and they can probably attack before you can even pivot.

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
Up+B is also > shields and most attacks. There's almost no reason not to do it in most situations.

Four Leaf

Smash Journeyman
because dthrow upb works better
It's still viable. I never said it was amazing. Use it once every other match or so, but up B is still our best approach. Also this kinda annoys me "DK doing a pivot grab is pointless to like what bigfoot said upB." Really? pivot grabbing has potential with every char. If this is for new players don't tell them that pivot grabbing is absolutely useless, you're lying to them. We all agree up b is our best approach NOT OUR ONLY

legion598

Smash Ace
If u feel overwhelmed by a speedy aerial opponent like shiek or kirby just start zoning with SH Bairs to get away and then resume your long range poking game

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
It's still viable. I never said it was amazing. Use it once every other match or so, but up B is still our best approach. Also this kinda annoys me "DK doing a pivot grab is pointless to like what bigfoot said upB." Really? pivot grabbing has potential with every char. If this is for new players don't tell them that pivot grabbing is absolutely useless, you're lying to them. We all agree up b is our best approach NOT OUR ONLY
wait, calm down. Pivot grabs arent useless okay, but really whenever you do a pivot grab you take a risk far more than if you would of UpB or even RAR Bair

RP`

Smash Apprentice
I am not sure what other characters this can work against, but twice in the round I caught a MK with a grounded upB while going forward, and as it ended and he was slightly knocked back and I was still sliding forward a little I Donkey Punched him for a KO. Maybe he just had bad DI, but it worked for me.

Top Bottom