• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alternate Costume(s)

Which Costume would you prefer?

• Fusion Suit

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • Dark Suit

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Light Suit

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • PED Suit

Votes: 11 22.0%

• Total voters

Izzmo

Smash Cadet
I'd love to see the beta PED suit. The colour scheme presses all the right buttons for me.

Any other suit I'd be completely fine with, though. More choice in this matter would always be welcome.

WizKid911

Smash Journeyman
They should do normal samus suit without her helmet. For her entrance she should take her helmet off and throw it at somebody =D lol jk. But that would be a really good addition. Some of those other suits look too manly

Kati

Smash Lord
'Cuz the suit was always about femininity, and not concealing the fact that Samus is female. PMBR wouldn't even be using the proportions of those suits. They would have to take the brawl model and make entirely new versions of the requested suits.

And a single alt most likely can't have a unique entry data file. And they most likely wouldn't be able to animate her face as that would require more bones.

Hopefully that was a joke post. You can get Samus without her helmet on brawlvault already.
------
Xenozoa that's a great portrait!

-----
I just uploaded four palette swaps to brawlvault. My gravity suit, a redone phazon suit, the old hazard suit which seems to have been lost, and my metroid fusion inspired green team suit.

WizKid911

Smash Journeyman
I don't go on brawl vault so I didnt know that. I understand what you mean but theres a difference between seeing a suit knowing that its a female and seeing this massive abbed giant arms having suit. Knowing for a fact that that is indeed a 105 pound woman in there. Am I wrong for thinking thats too bulky? And with everything that the PMBR has done so far im sure that if they really wanted to that they could create some animations for samus' face. It was a thought. Shame on me for thinking that it would be a cool idea.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
can someone make me a sylux skin for samus?
(and lockjaw for her crawl?)
that would be so incredible.

there is probably one on brawl vault, so I'm gonna look there, but yeah. it should be an official pmbr thing

Kati

Smash Lord
Goes against their alt policy, so no they won't make it. A texture exists, but it sounds like you want a serious vertex edit.

WizKid911

Smash Journeyman
Kati those other suits don't look as bulky as I thought they did. When I first looked they looked huge.

Kati

Smash Lord
Yeah if anything, brawl's Varia model is bulkier or as bulky as the Metroid Prime 1 phazon suit.

Am I the only one that just wants more accurate recolors instead of full blown armor changes? The only texture I use right now is that neato Powered Phazon Suit on BV because there isn't a black colored Samus.
Just reiterating that three of my latest brawlvault submissions are accurate recolours. But you did say that you really like your phazon suit how it is.

WizKick

Smash Apprentice
The best thing about Samus' character is it doesn't matter that she is female. She just happens to be. (as I have an out of suit samus for an avatar. >.>( do as I say not as I do! xD ))

WizKid911

Smash Journeyman
Wizkick, by the way this is off of subject, but when I first seen your name I was like wtf lol. Our names are too close

Kati

Smash Lord
^ but are not P:M quality. I just reuploaded the hazard suit the other day, but I would never want that texture to be official. The Dark Suit vertex is.... let's say quite unfinished. Someone posted a fusion suit model in the general alt thread. It looks very nice though it keeps brawl's arm cannon (not a problem though). There is no decent light suit on brawlvault, and the PED is so bland that only a very authentic one would be worth it. The Phazon suit I just uploaded is the most accurate, but I still need more playtesting in order to confirm that black armour is visible enough.

Kati

Smash Lord
That's only a recolor, technically, and it's not up to the standard that alts have (being a custom model). Still cool, though.
Technically, it is actually a vertex edit. It uses Lensho's Dark Samus as a base, hence the smaller (and therefore more accurate) shoulders, as well as different visor shape. Along with at least one other physical trait, it is a "custom model;" nonetheless, I still hold the stance that nothing on brawlvault is up to the "alt standard." I just wanted to share this with others who might like it.

WizKick

Smash Apprentice
That's pretty cool, but there are some obvious funky looking parts that put me off. credit to them for making it, i'd just rather have the real deal or stick with the basic suit however.

Zujx

Smash Apprentice
I really like the fusion it's solid.
Though most of them I feel like are really bland we need to think outside of the box

UltimateWario

Smash Master
My personal pick would be the Light Suit, but I have nostalgia goggles since Prime 2 was the game the introduced me to the franchise. But, if they were to use the Light Suit, they could replace the Plasma/Ice Beam duo with the Light/Dark Beams, which would make for a unique and nifty effect (especially given that the Light and Dark Beams, by canon, have many of the same properties as the Plasma and Ice Beams, respectively).

Besides that, the Light Suit is by far the most unique suit Samus has ever worn (besides the Fusion Suit, which was an entirely different Power Suit from the one she usually wears), giving her touches of both Chozo and Luminoth design. There are also a lot of "dark" Alts in Project M. Dry Bowser, MM Lucas, Mr. L, Shadow Peach...it would be nice to have a "light" one to compliment them.

The Fusion Suit would be the obvious choice, but I'm not a huge fan of it; of course, that hardly matters.

The arguments for the Phazon Suit are really quite pointless, as its just a recolor of the other suits from Prime. It wouldn't need its own costume, it would just need a retexture. I volunteer the Dark Suit recolor, since it's gross and brown, and I'd fully support replacing that crap.

That said, would giving Samus an Alt force them to give ZSS one as well, or simply a new color to match it? If they have to give ZSS one (and they really should either way), they should give her the grey tank-top from Fusion. I feel like Justin Bailey would be just fine as giving the current pink suit green hair.

Last edited:

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
My personal pick would be the Light Suit, but I have nostalgia goggles since Prime 2 was the game the introduced me to the franchise. But, if they were to use the Light Suit, they could replace the Plasma/Ice Beam duo with the Light/Dark Beams, which would make for a unique and nifty effect (especially given that the Light and Dark Beams, by canon, have many of the same properties as the Plasma and Ice Beams, respectively).

Besides that, the Light Suit is by far the most unique suit Samus has ever worn (besides the Fusion Suit, which was an entirely different Power Suit from the one she usually wears), giving her touches of both Chozo and Luminoth design. There are also a lot of "dark" Alts in Project M. Dry Bowser, MM Lucas, Mr. L, Shadow Peach...it would be nice to have a "light" one to compliment them.

The Fusion Suit would be the obvious choice, but I'm not a huge fan of it; of course, that hardly matters.

The arguments for the Phazon Suit are really quite pointless, as its just a recolor of the other suits from Prime. It wouldn't need its own costume, it would just need a retexture. I volunteer the Dark Suit recolor, since it's gross and brown, and I'd fully support replacing that crap.

That said, would giving Samus an Alt force them to give ZSS one as well, or simply a new color to match it? If they have to give ZSS one (and they really should either way), they should give her the grey tank-top from Fusion. I feel like Justin Bailey would be just fine as giving the current pink suit green hair.
give this man a cookie

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman

give this man a cookie

Kati

Smash Lord

I dig your enthusiasm, and I like your beam idea but I have to disagree somewhat.

Both the light and phazon suit have potential "readability" issues, as the pmbr described on their home page; however, the phazon suit has red lighting which can contrast with the black, whereas the light suit has no redeeming secondary colour.

The phazon suit need not necessarily be a simple recolour as you suggest. There are many details that can be tweaked for both visibility and "alt authenticity:"
-The Visor
-A third middle line of lights going through the middle of her shoulder pad. The result would be a red line visible to players while Samus stands still.
-Animated pulsing lights.
-Arm cannon
-Morphball.
-An additional light similar to the one found on the back of her hand, placed on the side of her upper legs (quads..?)

As you say yourself, the phazon suit is a recolour of the Prime Varia suit, but brawl uses the Super Metroid Varia suit.

I like the light suit, but I doubt it could ever be done justice consider the intricacies of the shoulders and chest plate, and the proportions of brawl Samus' suit/skeleton. The light beam would be quite the feat to mimic, and the dark beam wouldn't be accurate concerning dark homing missiles.

And yeah, the dark suit recolour is silly.

And yeah, I made a green haired zss years ago. Pm me if you are interested.

From projectmgame.com

Unfortunately, during gameplay (with the camera far away) [Dr. Mario's] pants and coat blended together and didn't look as good as we wanted. It was hard to see what his legs were doing in comparison to the torso. He just wasn't readable from that distance, and having a clear, readable character is important in Smash.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Personally, I'd prefer the Fusion Suit. It has more team color options than the Light Suit.

I'd also like to see Samus's base model replaced with the suit from Other M to fit her new animations better. And because the design looks amazing when it's recolored to the existing Gravity Suit palette.

IT'S SO PRETTY.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
The Fusion Suit doesn't have the same shoulders that the Varia Suit does, and Samus's shoulders have hitboxes. So it'd be possible for Samus to get hit above her shoulders and take damage for no reason.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
The tops of her shoulder pads are level with the top of her head. It won't really look odd from most angles.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Guess it wouldn't hurt, then.

Hell, there's really nothing saying we couldn't get both. If any character has potential for multiple alts, it's Samus.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
So I've been using a (rather shoddy) custom Light Suit in 3.02 and, I have to say, it reads really well. There are enough details on the suit that it's not hard to tell where Samus's limbs are; it's a lot less "just white" than people seem to think. I think it would work really well as an alt.

That said, the Light Suit I'm using is simply a texture over Samus's vanilla model, but I don't think a custom Light Suit model would do anything but make it even easier to tell what's going on with her. There are black details and accents all over the suit, and it's a lovely contrast to the Brawl's otherwise fairly dark color choices.

If I could vote for Light Suit again, but more resolutely, I would. :laugh:

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
How I think the full pallete should look:
Though I do like really like that blue color swap from Metroid Prime Echoes...maybe replace Power Suit with it.
[collapse=Full Samus Pallete Swaps]
1 and 2. Varia Suit Prime (Default Red) (Green version Default Green or Prime Echoes Green)

3. Gravity Suit (Default Blue)

4. Phazon Suit

5. Fusion Suit

6. Hazard Suit

7. PED Suit

8. Dark Suit Samus

9. Power Suit

10. Light Suit

I didn't include Other M's Varia suit not because I didn't like its design (Better than the Power, Fusion and Dark suits IMO) but because Smash 4 is going to have it anyways so I don't see the need to add it.[/quote]

CyberMario

Settle It
3DS FC
3351-4726-1926
I REMEMBER!!!

Please PMBackRoom, if Dr. Mario got his own special lighting effects with his moves, make this so with Samus alt.

LIGHTSUIT4LIFE

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion

this. all of this. the Light Suit is the most unique suit in the series until the fusion suit. might he tricky to implement, but i've been replaying Prime 2 and just got the Light Suit and it is phenomenal looking imo

I fully support changing the dark suit to the phazon suit as well.

Last edited:

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
Agreed with Shadow Huan in every way! Light Suit, and Dark Suit to Phazon Suit sounds like a plan to me. :D

Top Bottom