• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alternate Costume(s)

Which Costume would you prefer?

• Fusion Suit

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • Dark Suit

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Light Suit

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • PED Suit

Votes: 11 22.0%

• Total voters

TheAccursedHunter01

Smash Apprentice
What Alternate Costume(s) would you all like to see for Samus? The costume I would most like to see would be the Fusion Suit:

The Dark/Light/PED Suit would be Cool. I would love it that if the PED Suit made it in, that it had varying levels of Corruption/Hazard Shield as alternate colors:

The Fusion Suit has potential to be seen again if Metroid 5 ever comes out, so that's why I want that one the most/nostalgia shades. Besides, Samus seems faster and more agile in Project M, so the lighter Fusion Suit would fit pretty well. That, and Fusion and Prime 3 are the only games where Samus had Ice Missiles, so the Fusion Suit would make the smoothest transition, at least to me anyway. Although if any of these get in I'll be satisfied, unless there will be more than one alternate costume per character as time goes on. That's probably not going to happen, but a guy can dream, right? What do the rest of you think?

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
I like the Fusion Suit a lot, but I prefer the more armored appearances. I would love the Light Suit or Dark Suit, but the PED Suit would work great since it could have a more blue "corrupted" alternate color, plus it looks different enough from the standard suit and would look awesome in action.

The Prime Trilogy was my favorite arc of the series as well, so I guess I'm inclined to lean towards seeing a suit from those games be used. I LOVE the Primes' art style, it always looks spectacular to me.

Alm5252

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ALM5252
I'm using the model from Other M that's replaced all of Samus' slots. It lovely and beautiful to play as in Project M.

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
I would prefer a phazon suit myself, but a light suit would be pretty neat.

WizKick

Smash Apprentice
I've always loved the light suit, ever since my first romp through MP2! i would be equally pleased if the Fusion or PED Suit made it in though!

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
Dark Samus as a costume would be neat, but the issue is that Dark Samus is completely different character. That, and having her as just a costume wouldn't be as fun as playing as the real deal. ;)

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
What, no Phazon Suit?

Not legit. Like, you're actually making me choose between the three ugliest suits in Metroid, and you're not even offering me the Phazon suit.

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
What, no Phazon Suit?

Not legit. Like, you're actually making me choose between the three ugliest suits in Metroid, and you're not even offering me the Phazon suit.
I'd totally go for the Phazon Suit as well, but I think that the other suits would be more viable as costumes though, since they have different designs. The Phazon Suit is really no more than a just a black, gray, and red Varia or Gravity Suit, so that can be done with a simple texture reskin.

Sure, if they used the Prime design, it would look a bit different since the art style is different, but technically, it's the same suit and looks a lot like the default Brawl suit. The other suits look different and have more interesting designs, and would make for better alt costumes I think.

Promestein

Smash Cadet
I had several ideas, actually.

- Remove Fusion Suit recolor, make Gravity Suit the new Blue Team outfit. Add in Fusion suit and recolors, making Fusion = Blue Team, Varia = Green Team, Final = Red Team. Alternatively, merely keep the Fusion Suit recolor in.
- Simply add more suits. The Power, Prime Varia, Prime 2 Varia, Gravity, Phazon, Dark, Light, and PED Suits would all likely work. Perhaps some effects could change based on the suit, as well? (I.e Power Suit gets shock effects instead of fire, to simulate the Wave-Ice Beams from the original Metroid, Phazon or PED Suit use aura effects instead of fire, Dark Suit uses darkness effects instead of ice.)

Of course, because of the way the arm cannon in Brawl works, I'm not expecting anything more than recolors. That's not to say that the PMBR can't do it, but I'd be more than impressed if they put the time into making other arm cannons work. Or they could just keep Brawl's arm cannon on all the others. Regardless, I'm excited to see what ends up happening with Samus.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
What, no Phazon Suit?

I can understand not liking the dark suit design, but what is ugly about the light suit or PED suit?

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Fusion Suit is the most practical. Its existing palettes work into the team color scheme perfectly. Omega (Red), Fusion (Blue), and Varia (Green). They can replace her existing blue team costume with the classic Super Smash Bros. blue team outfit. Oh, and replace her Dark Suit palette with the Phazon Suit.

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
Well personally, perhaps the only thing I don't care for on the PED Suit design is the stubs on the shoulders, but otherwise I don't see anything wrong with it. I think it would be a great choice because it also has slightly more bulk to it than the other suggested suits, more akin to the Brawl suit, so it would fit well on Samus' rig.

Light Suit to me is sleek, and unique. It would look awesome with some good alt colors, too. I actually made a photoshop of it with Varia colors, and it looked pretty cool. The Light and PED Suits are top priority for what I'd like to see as Samus' costume!

TheAccursedHunter01

Smash Apprentice
What, no Phazon Suit?

I see the Phazon Suit as a simple extra color choice that can be available for the Brawl Suit, since it's just the Varia/Gravity Suit from Prime 1, but with Red, Black and Gray as the colors. The Phazon Suit looks awesome, don't get me wrong, but it just changes the Suits color, it isn't some drastic change in design like the Fusion Suit or Light Suit.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I can understand not liking the dark suit design, but what is ugly about the light suit or PED suit?
The PED looks kinda like Samus found some spare scraps of metal on Norion and just welded them onto her shoulders. I just find it to look really awkward.

Light Suit's not bad, but since I'm just inclined to compare it to the Phazon Suit, since they're both the most powerful suits in their respective games, and the Light Suit is just not as cool as the Phazon Suit.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Totally forgot about her Phazon Suit. Phazon Suit would also probably look better in game than the Light Suit ebcause the Light Suit is mainly white and would need some alterations to make it more than just a fancy white suit from a distance, imo.

MVP

Smash Ace
i feel like her fusion suit looks awkward cause you have metallic armor mixed with a X-parasite skin. It doesn't look good...

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
The first Alt. Costume Samus should have is the Dark Suit, i mean, it's a recolor already! just change the Brown recolor to the Phazon Suit, and put the Dark Suit as an alt.
Also i'm not too sure if the Fusion Suit could make it in as a PMBR member, said that alt. costumes must respect character's hitboxes, and Samus has hitboxes on her shoulder pads, wich the Fusion Suit lacks.

WizKick

Smash Apprentice
The first Alt. Costume Samus should have is the Dark Suit, i mean, it's a recolor already! just change the Brown recolor to the Phazon Suit, and put the Dark Suit as an alt.
Also i'm not too sure if the Fusion Suit could make it in as a PMBR member, said that alt. costumes must respect character's hitboxes, and Samus has hitboxes on her shoulder pads, wich the Fusion Suit lacks.

Regarding that I think PED Suit fits best OR The dark suit, but the Dark Suit is hardly different, and would be a boring costume. :<

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
Regarding that I think PED Suit fits best OR The dark suit, but the Dark Suit is hardly different, and would be a boring costume. :<
I agree. I mentioned in an earlier post, the PED Suit has a bit more bulk to it than the rest of the Prime suits, so it would fit well with Samus' rig and hitboxes. And if you added the Hazard Shield shoulder pads, then they would not only look cooler, but would fill up the apparent shoulder hitboxes better as well. You really can't go wrong with it! ;)

That and, well, the Hazard Shield shoulder's make the suit look even cooler. See for yourself. :cool: This is also when the suit is 75% corrupted.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Of course the P.E.D. looks great, but in mostly pointing that the Dark Suit recolor is already there, like waiting to be THE Dark Suit.
If the Dark Suit doesnt fit (wich is a senseless argument) it doesn't matter as they are also adapting the alt. costumes, so being not being "bulkier is not the problem".
Also not even the P.E.D. would fit perfect they would have to resize the shoulder pads as Samus' hitboxes on this part are bigger, take a look:

I know its Melee but in Project M its technically the same

So, Why not both?

And hey! Welcome to Smashboards!

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
Well, I'm not arguing about the "other suits being thinner", I'm just saying that, to me at least, the PED Suit would look nicer in action than some of the others. For example, I've used the Other M suit, and looks a bit off with a few of the animations due to it being so thin, especially upon closer inspection. Samus' animations in the Brawl suit look perfectly fine since they're catered to that model, and the PED suit is almost as bulky as it is, mainly in the torso region. BUT, I'm thinking in model swap terms, so what do I know, huh? lol
That's all I was getting at, but you make a good point about adapting the costumes to fit better! So yeah, really I could go for either suit. Out of personal taste, I'd prefer one of the suits from the Prime Trilogy instead of the Fusion Suit, but if we get that, I won't complain. Dark Suit, Light Suit, PED Suit, they all look awesome to me. ;)

And hey, thanks!

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Well, it's not that I'm arguing the "other suits being thinner", I'm just saying that, to me at least, the PED Suit would look nicer in action than some of the others. For example, I've used the Other M suit, and looks a bit off with a few of the animations due to it being so thin, especially upon closer inspection. Samus' animations in the Brawl suit look perfectly fine since they're catered to that model, and the PED suit is almost as bulky as it is, mainly in the torso region. BUT, I'm thinking in model swap terms, so what do I know, huh? lol
That's all I'm saying, but you make a good point about adapting the costumes to fit better! So yeah, really I could go for either suit. Out of personal taste, I'd prefer one of the suits from the Prime Trilogy instead of the Fusion Suit, but if we get that, I won't complain. Dark Suit, Light Suit, PED Suit, they all look awesome to me. ;)

And hey, thanks!
Good points, and yeah all the Suits looks great, let's see what the PMBR can do, one thing is sure, its going to be good.
You know i'm also okay with watherever costume they come out.

Ahh you're welcome.

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
I'm sure that whatever the PMBR does, it'll be awesome! Hope they can manage to add it in the next update, if possible. :)

MVP

Smash Ace
i think you're both right and the PMBR should add both haha. the more alts for samus the better :cool:

Kati

Smash Lord
I had several ideas, actually.

- Remove Fusion Suit recolor, make Gravity Suit the new Blue Team outfit. Add in Fusion suit and recolors, making Fusion = Blue Team, Varia = Green Team, Final = Red Team. Alternatively, merely keep the Fusion Suit recolor in.
- Simply add more suits. The Power, Prime Varia, Prime 2 Varia, Gravity, Phazon, Dark, Light, and PED Suits would all likely work. Perhaps some effects could change based on the suit, as well? (I.e Power Suit gets shock effects instead of fire, to simulate the Wave-Ice Beams from the original Metroid, Phazon or PED Suit use aura effects instead of fire, Dark Suit uses darkness effects instead of ice.)

Of course, because of the way the arm cannon in Brawl works, I'm not expecting anything more than recolors. That's not to say that the PMBR can't do it, but I'd be more than impressed if they put the time into making other arm cannons work. Or they could just keep Brawl's arm cannon on all the others. Regardless,
I'm excited to see what ends up happening with Samus.
I'm actually making a blue team gravity suit at the moment. Brawl's gravity suit has more purple than the tallon IV gravity suit, so I tweaked it very slightly to be a little more blue. I'm in the process of making every other part such as her helmet and arm cannon match this change. At the moment I'm just being ocd about it, but I could release a playable version at any time.

I really like your fusion suit idea, despite how ugly the fusion varia is.

The PED looks kinda like Samus found some spare scraps of metal on Norion and just welded them onto her shoulders. I just find it to look really awkward.

Light Suit's not bad, but since I'm just inclined to compare it to the Phazon Suit, since they're both the most powerful suits in their respective games, and the Light Suit is just not as cool as the Phazon Suit.
Without knowing what part the federation played in her Fusion suit's appearance (x-parasite skin...? err...), the PED is the most representative of their craftsmanship, not Samus'. It is awkward, and even more bulky than the original, and that's why it is interesting.

What people have to realize is that Samus' suit has a lot of details. Asking the PMBR to make the Dark, light, hazard, or PED suits is asking them to devote many many more hours into modeling than say it would have taken for Mr. L; Therefore, the Phazon suit is the most practical, and there are several on brawlvault that could be used as a base. Red lighting might be crucial along the legs or else all the black might be "unreadable."

There is also a good Fusion suit on brawlvault that can be used as a base; however, Samus seems to have shrunken so much in PM that taking any more bulk from her only makes it worse. (I have already tested Lensho's fusion suit).

Totally forgot about her Phazon Suit. Phazon Suit would also probably look better in game than the Light Suit ebcause the Light Suit is mainly white and would need some alterations to make it more than just a fancy white suit from a distance, imo.

How could you forget that, Monkunit, how???????

jk +rep for remembering and I thought similarly about the light suit.

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
Kati said:
I'm actually making a blue team gravity suit at the moment. Brawl's gravity suit has more purple than the tallon IV gravity suit, so I tweaked it very slightly to be a little more blue. I'm in the process of making every other part such as her helmet and arm cannon match this change. At the moment I'm just being ocd about it, but I could release a playable version at any time.
Sounds intriguing. Would you be able to show a screenshot of it, by any chance?

Kati

Smash Lord
mmmm that huge picture of the phazon suit :)

also:
http://imgur.com/a/UEAuL
The top picture is old. I will be converting my stage thread into a general custom content thread when I finish my Samus textures, so this will be found there eventually.

GigasOverlord

Smash Apprentice
Am I the only one that just wants more accurate recolors instead of full blown armor changes? The only texture I use right now is that neato Powered Phazon Suit on BV because there isn't a black colored Samus.

Kati

Smash Lord
Am I the only one that just wants more accurate recolors instead of full blown armor changes? The only texture I use right now is that neato Powered Phazon Suit on BV because there isn't a black colored Samus.
^_^; like I said before I'm making a more accurate gravity suit (though brawl's is pretty close to zero mission's version). Which phazon suit on bv? there are at least three.

GigasOverlord

Smash Apprentice
^_^; like I said before I'm making a more accurate gravity suit (though brawl's is pretty close to zero mission's version). Which phazon suit on bv? there are at least three.
It's Powered or Full Powered Phazon Suit. It's the one with the Phazon loaded cannon and the red lines on the armor. IT LOOKS SO GOOD!

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I just think there should be yellow/gold, black, white, and purple teams, and the Tallon IV gravity suit can be the purple team outfit.

But then there's no announcer stuff for those teams. Sad day.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Okay the best scenario would be:
-Get rid of Fusion Suit Recolor and make it the Fusion Suit alt. costume (if they figure out a way to respect her shoulders hitboxes)
-Get rid of the actual green recolor and make it the Power Suit.
-Get rid of Dark Suit recolor and make it the Phazon Suit recolor (referencing the black recolor from Melee)
-Make the Dark Suit a full Alt. Costume (so we would still have a brown color)
-Make the Light Suit an Alt. Costume (we would get a new color for Samus, white)
-Make another alt. Costume like the P.E.D. (not so sure that Samus would have 3 Alts. but it would be great)

Im choosing the light and dark suits first since these are the most drastically different (along with the Fusion) Samus have ever had.

With this we would have every Samus' Suit (no counting Fusion Suit versions), except for Varia Suit various designs like the MP2 & MP3, or the Othe M one....
So no one would be dissapointed i believe.

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
Doing pretty much all the suits would be a lot of work... but it'd be so totally worth it. However, if the PMBR gave us their own poll for a Samus alt, and I had to choose, one, and only one suit... as much as I'd like the PED Suit, I'd go with the Light Suit. Why? Sleek, fits her quicker nature in PM, looks cool, unique, and would represent the Prime Trilogy well.

Fun thought: I always thought it would be cool if Samus used the Light Suit's jagged, sharp looking knee spikes as weapons. I imagine her kneeing a Pirate in the stomach would be pretty painful... lol

Keys1281

Smash Journeyman
Gotta agree with Varia31. The light suit--as cool as the others are--really shows off her PM style. I REALLY like that phazon suit posted though...That should be a simple recolor. Maybe I can work on that(?)

Top Bottom