• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alola's Arboreal Archer - The Decidueye for Smash Thread (RIP the dream)

StormC

Smash Hero
I would play the **** out of the snow owl color. Well done.

This is also a pretty cool skin over Falco in Smash 4:

Tonydrake

Smash Apprentice

Just finished this. I really like how it turned out, and I believe you guys here will love it!

1 - Default
2 - Shiny
3 - Blaziken
4 - Empoleon
5 - Talonflame
6 - Noctowl
7 - The season of Autumn/Fall
8 - Snowy Owls
My god, it's amazing. I really love them, specially number 2, 3 and 4

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816

Just finished this. I really like how it turned out, and I believe you guys here will love it!

1 - Default
2 - Shiny
3 - Blaziken
4 - Empoleon
5 - Talonflame
6 - Noctowl
7 - The season of Autumn/Fall
8 - Snowy Owls
These are really good, I definitely like the Blaziken one the best!

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
My favorite colors from Starcutter's work would be 4, 5, 6 and 7.
Empoleon and Talonflame colors work especially well on Decidueye.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I cleaned up the "render" I used for the color palettes. Here it is if anyone's interested.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Decidueye is the best 7th Gen starter imo, so they get my support.

Also because I still want another grass starter in Smash (here lies Sceptile's chances, rip).

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
You know, I think that's probably the saddest part. The fact that people need to add in disclaimers like that really shows how unnecessarily hostile some people can get.

For the record, I'd love for the type triangle to be present again in Smash, too. It's an important part of Pokémon.
Me too; and Because he's not only a Grass-type Starter, which wasn't included in SSB4, Which Only had 2 types; Water & Fire; and Because He is primarily an Archer(Which isn't really a big part of existing Smash Fighters; as it's only been AT Most a Neutral B-move for Link & His Alternates, Pit & Dark Pit, and/or as a Final Smash, as for Zelda & Sheik), and ALREADY could use his Definitely Decidium-Z Crystal powered Z-Move as his Final Smash; and is also Relevant.

D

Deleted member

I'm close to finishing my moveset for Decidueye but I'm not sure what its side and down specials should be.
Any ideas?

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I'm close to finishing my moveset for Decidueye but I'm not sure what its side and down specials should be.
Any ideas?
For the Side Special, perhaps Razor Leaf if it isn't already in use. Short-to-medium range flurry of leaves with perhaps stun? Maybe no stun, but high percent damage?

For the Down Special, I think Roost would be interesting to see. Roost would cause Decidueye to kneel down and begin to heal, either lowering its percents or raising its HP, depending on the mode. Maybe 5%/5HP per second? He wouldn't be able to heal in-air, though, so using Roost while airborne would either do nothing or send him straight down.

D

Deleted member

For the Side Special, perhaps Razor Leaf if it isn't already in use. Short-to-medium range flurry of leaves with perhaps stun? Maybe no stun, but high percent damage?

For the Down Special, I think Roost would be interesting to see. Roost would cause Decidueye to kneel down and begin to heal, either lowering its percents or raising its HP, depending on the mode. Maybe 5%/5HP per second? He wouldn't be able to heal in-air, though, so using Roost while airborne would either do nothing or send him straight down.
Razor Leaf is already its Neutral aerial, but thanks for the suggestion.

Roost could work though. Maybe it could recover 10-20% but Decidueye would enter helpless state if it uses it in midair?

Last edited by a moderator:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Any ideas?
Brave bird could work as a down b, working like a falcon kick on ground but in the air it would go straight down until it hits the ground, then it would propel forwards.

D

Deleted member

Brave bird could work as a down b, working like a falcon kick on ground but in the air it would go straight down until it hits the ground, then it would propel forwards.
I've actually already decided that the down b will be roost, and brave bird is its up b.

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
We definitely need a fully-evolved grass-type starter to compliment Charizard and Greninja. Since a new Pokemon generation is unlikely to be available this year, I'd say Decidueye has a good chance. Count me in as a supporter.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
While my personal preference is Mimikyu for a Gen VII rep, I would be happy with Decidueye, especially if it gets a moveset heavily based on aerial combat and projectiles. I mained Pit in Brawl, and I miss that kind of a playstyle. Decidueye makes too much sense to not be extremely likely; it completes the starter type trio, it could easily have a fresh and unique playstyle, and it has a neat design imo.

D

Deleted member

While my personal preference is Mimikyu for a Gen VII rep, I would be happy with Decidueye, especially if it gets a moveset heavily based on aerial combat and projectiles. I mained Pit in Brawl, and I miss that kind of a playstyle. Decidueye makes too much sense to not be extremely likely; it completes the starter type trio, it could easily have a fresh and unique playstyle, and it has a neat design imo.
Would you like to be added to the supporters list?

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
You can consider me a supporter. I haven’t played Sun and Moon, but I love their design and typing (Ghost/Grass? Isn’t he the only one?). I would love for him to be this game’s grass starter not only because it bugs me that we don’t have one in Smash 4, but because the fire/grass/water trio is such an iconic and fundamental part of Pokemon.

Question for you all though. How you would feel if Decidueye got in as a Pokemon for a new Pokemon trainer? Not exactly sure if the Trainer is returning, but I don’t feel confident either way.

StormC

Smash Hero
You can consider me a supporter. I haven’t played Sun and Moon, but I love their design and typing (Ghost/Grass? Isn’t he the only one?). I would love for him to be this game’s grass starter not only because it bugs me that we don’t have one in Smash 4, but because the fire/grass/water trio is such an iconic and fundamental part of Pokemon.

Question for you all though. How you would feel if Decidueye got in as a Pokemon for a new Pokemon trainer? Not exactly sure if the Trainer is returning, but I don’t feel confident either way.
Phantump and Pumpkaboo are Grass/Ghost.

I don’t want transformations to return.

D

Deleted member

Welcome aboard!
Like StormC said, Phantump and Punpkaboo's evolutionary lines are both Grass/Ghost type, as well as Dhelmise (who was also introduced in gen 7), so Grass/Ghost isn't something that hasn't been done before. That said, I do agree that it's a really cool typing.
(Also I strongly recommend you check out Sun and Moon, they're great games)

I wouldn't really like it. Even if they do change how transformations work, Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard's movesets in Brawl all felt kinda rushed due to being a 3 in one character, and I have a feeling that Decidueye might get the same treatment if he's implemented as part of the Trainer's team.
Plus I kinda want him to get his time at the spotlight.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

As a quick clarification, not only are Pumpkaboo/Gourgeist and Dhelmise also Grass-Ghost, but also Phantump/Trevenant. :p

I actually thought about it before, specifically about Pokémon Trainer coming back, but with Charizard/Greninja/Decidueye. I highly doubt they'd do that though, personally. It seems a bit like a step backwards.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I think he’s a lock, and we would finally have a water/fire/grass trio
I’m disappointed we never got a rep for gen 5 though.
Ideally I wish we’d get at least one rep for each gen

D

Deleted member

Decidueye's chances are being rated tomorrow in RTC.
I'll be writing my essay prematurely so that I'll be ready to post it when I get back from school tomorrow.
I'm also planning to go on a hiatus for 2 months after I post it.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I was looking at Decidueye's feet and they look sharp. Maybe Decidueye could be a flying capoeira fighter with normal moves?

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Decidueye seems like an interesting idea. We're almost certainly getting at least one new Pokemon this game if precedent holds up, and Decidueye certainly has relevancy going for him, being a starter from the most recent generation of Pokemon. Besides, we don't have any dedicated archers in Smash yet, so Decidueye would have that niche to provide. Sign me up!

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Your alts are great but you're missing a Hawlucha recolor. One tradition I enjoy is where Mario had Wario colors before Wario got in, Peach had a Daisy skin, Fox got Wolf, etc.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
An owl who is a full blown archer with grass and ghost abilities sounds great. I think he's the best 7th gen choice for Smash, and I think a 7th gen Pokémon is practically guaranteed. My only worry is that Sakurai might have gone with a Pokémon who has a larger presence in the anime.

StormC

Smash Hero
If the roster was chosen in early 2016, I dunno how likely it is that the anime had anything to do with it. Only thing I can think of is going with Incineroar because GameFreak told him "Ash will have a Litten that will eventually grow into an Incineroar." But I have no idea if the anime writers would have even planned that far ahead.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Wait crap, that's actually a good set of points. They also told us they talk to Game Freak about these things when they put in Greninja, so it's probably safe to assume the games are what informs choices. Also, wouldn't P. Trainer from Brawl probably not be a generic trainer if this wasn't the case? I remember thinking it was weird he wasn't just Ash or Red.

StormC

Smash Hero
Wait crap, that's actually a good set of points. They also told us they talk to Game Freak about these things when they put in Greninja, so it's probably safe to assume the games are what informs choices. Also, wouldn't P. Trainer from Brawl probably not be a generic trainer if this wasn't the case? I remember thinking it was weird he wasn't just Ash or Red.
Pokemon Trainer is definitely Red.

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127
Count me to the supporter list of Decidueye. I feel that a Gen 7 Pokemon is inevitable, and he is easily the best choice with a unique moveset for aerial combat. I'm not counting the whole 'triangle' thing for him as a reason for support, though. It's moreso because he'd be a unique character with a unique playstyle, and we already have a peek at how he can work in a fighting game with Pokken DX.
I think his inclusion as the sole Gen 7 Pokemon in Pokken DX is a big sign as to how Game Freak views Decidueye in terms of marketing.

D

Deleted member

Decidueye we need you, in Smash support won't stop till you are.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Primarina was my starter of choice but I can't deny Decidueye would just work so well as a fighter. I'm just hoping he uses his arrows in a fair amount of his normals and not just a special or two, a proper archer character would be fun.

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Primarina was my starter of choice but I can't deny Decidueye would just work so well as a fighter. I'm just hoping he uses his arrows in a fair amount of his normals and not just a special or two, a proper archer character would be fun.
But Link, Toon Link, and Zelda, each with a single move that uses a bow and arrow, one of which is locked behind an item, already totally fill the archer niche :troll:

Top Bottom