• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alola's Arboreal Archer - The Decidueye for Smash Thread (RIP the dream)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That CSS in the trailer makes it seem like this'll be the extent of it.

I suppose there could be DLC but I wouldn't count on it.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Anyone got a picture of that CSS from that trailer?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I just hope the USB controller I got with the original is compatible.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Pokken was fun, but it never stuck with me. I'd love to get the Switch version, but I'm not too keen on dropping another $60 for the game again. Maybe Gamestop will have some trade-in deal, but I highly doubt it.

Great to see Decidueye in the Pokken, though. This'll definitely open up a lot of Smash moveset ideas, although I don't think Decidueye struggled much with that in the first place.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Full art in it's HD glory.

RedBr971

Smash Cadet
I really support this since gente is: Coll, a grass pokémon and a new style of character soo.. Add me on this support list!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
This'll definitely open up a lot of Smash moveset ideas, although I don't think Decidueye struggled much with that in the first place.
This is one of the reasons why I wanted Meowth in Pokken. So the detractors would have plenty of visual illustrations of how Meowth might be like in Smash. And the supporters would have plenty of material to work with to create a Smash moveset.

At least now that Decidueye is in Pokken, I will have an easier time visualizing what normal moves Decidueye might do in Smash.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Yeah, I think it's either a story cutscene or a new Z-Move. Given we also saw Mimikyu eat the camera, the latter looks likley

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I just love that out of all Alola Pokémon, they picked Decidueye. Think about it, they needed a newcomer to entice double dippers, and the one non-arcade character they picked was him.

The lack of promotion over other characters was a common point of contention. Now Decidueye has that promotion, and in a fighting game to boot. I think good things are waiting, owl friends.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I just love that out of all Unova Pokémon, they picked Decidueye. Think about it, they needed a newcomer to entice double dippers, and the one non-arcade character they picked was him.

The lack of promotion over other characters was a common point of contention. Now Decidueye has that promotion, and in a fighting game to boot. I think good things are waiting, owl friends.
Alola. It's Alola. :)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Whoops. Wrong region based on an area of the US. :p
I would love to see a new region based on Florida. Maybe there could be a story revolving a Pokémon theme park in the center of the region. ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I got so hyped when I saw Decidueye in Pokken!
I had hopes that it would make it in Pokken, but the last character they added was Empoleon... so I got a little sad. To see it in Pokken now got me really excited and I want to get Pokken Deluxe just to play as it!
My favorite starter is in Pokken... today was a good day.
However, I hope that Decidueye's appearance won't hurt its chances of getting in Smash.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Nice to see that Decidueye will be in the Pokken port. I'm glad I held back on not buying the Wii U version of the game,

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I just love that out of all Alola Pokémon, they picked Decidueye. Think about it, they needed a newcomer to entice double dippers, and the one non-arcade character they picked was him.

Not gonna lie, reading the first part of this made me wonder if you were going to be critical of Decidueye! :chuckle:

But overall this is fantastic news for Decidueye fans. I think we got a very good chance of seeing Decidueye in Smash 4 on the Switch. I would still wager currently the odds of Decidueye are much higher for Smash 5 than Smash 4 on the Switch.

Having said that, if we get really any character confirmed for Smash 4 on the Switch, that kind of feels like a lock for Smash 5.
Whoops. Wrong region based on an area of the US. :p
Gotta save Unova for the Zoroark hype! if it ever comes back

D

Deleted member

But overall this is fantastic news for Decidueye fans. I think we got a very good chance of seeing Decidueye in Smash 4 on the Switch. I would still wager currently the odds of Decidueye are much higher for Smash 5 than Smash 4 on the Switch.

Having said that, if we get really any character confirmed for Smash 4 on the Switch, that kind of feels like a lock for Smash 5.
I mostly disagree with this to be honest.
I do think we'll get Smash on Switch eventually, but I am unsure if it will be Smash 4 Deluxe or Smash 5. If it's the former, then yeah I think Decidueye has a great chance!
If it's the latter... it depends on the timing of Smash 5. If it's out before Gen 8, then it has a decent shot of getting in. If it's out after Gen 8, I doubt it will get in.
Believing in absolutes is dangerous, especially when some characters perceived as "locks" weren't playable in Smash 4, like Chrom.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I usually don't go all-in on "absolutes," but I can't see an angle where a character is added to the Smash 4 roster only to be absent in Smash 5.

Without all the stupid and terrible distractions that Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U requiring different co-developmental processes due to the unnatural 1:1 forced gameplay (which other games that go multi-platform do not do with technology gaps that far), there's no reason to cap the roster with all the assets at this point.

And besides that, characters developed in 2016/2017 should be easily transferable to a future game to come out in 2018, 2019 or 2020 on the same console and likely running on a very similar engine.

We've seen this multiple times in fighting games. Tekken 6 and Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Mortal Kombat 9 and Injustice, Mortal Kombat X and Injustice 2, etc.

It's not a matter of character selection but ease of access. Why would you cut a character that is super easy to transfer data to for a future game that is likely running on just a modified version of the same engine=???

It makes no sense. It's why Tekken Tag Tournament 2 retained much of the same cast as Tekken 6.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Thanks N3ON N3ON much appreciated!

Looking at the whole roster, I wish they added more cutesy Pokémon... you know, like Squirtle, Meowth, and Sylveon.

Last edited:

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Thanks N3ON N3ON much appreciated!

Looking at the whole roster, I wish they added more cutesy Pokémon... you know, like Squirtle, Meowth, and Sylveon.
Well, if the game does well enough, it COULD get some DLC down the line. Add Bewear to that cutesy pokemon list.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Ahh, yes! How could I have forgotten Bewear?! It's one of my favorite 7th gen Pokémon along with Decidueye, Mimikyu, and Alolan Meowth.

Edit

I'm glad I didn't get Pokken for the Wii U. The Switch version has more characters. Still... Pokken 2 would be nice.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Interesting thing to point out is that despite Z-Moves being like Pokken's Burst Attacks, Sinister Arrow Raid is not Decidueye's Burst Attack.

It has something completely different involving trapping an opponent in a tornado and then firing an arrow at the opponent.

My guess is, based on the nature of the game, it causes an explosion.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Wow, this thread took off. Understandably, though. Congrats on the Pokkén inclusion!

Hopefully we get more newcomers, whether through the base game or post-release. I'm noticing an egregious lack of Rock types, for one...

Worth mentioning that the CSS has changed size before. The original arcade release and demos only had room for 15:

...So it's entirely possible for it to expand again.

Furthermore, where's the random button in the current one? Would they really axe that?

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I originally supported Sceptile to be included as a newcomer, but unfortunately I think he no longer has a chance of being included as OR/AS's relevancy has long since passed. However, I think Decidueye would be the next best choice for a newcomer. I love all the Grass starters in general, and Decidueye is really cool. He could have a very unique moveset as an avian Grass type and bring much needed representation as a fully-evolved Grass starter to round out the starter trio and as an Alola rep for the seventh generation of Pokémon. I fully support Decidueye now, and would like to be added to the support list.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I originally supported Sceptile to be included as a newcomer, but unfortunately I think he no longer has a chance of being included as OR/AS's relevancy has long since passed. However, I think Decidueye would be the next best choice for a newcomer. I love all the Grass starters in general, and Decidueye is really cool. He could have a very unique moveset as an avian Grass type and bring much needed representation as a fully-evolved Grass starter to round out the starter trio and as an Alola rep for the seventh generation of Pokémon. I full support Decidueye now, and would like to be added to the support list.
I'm on mobile now so editing is kind of a pain, haha. I'll definitely do it once I'm able to though!

Or I'll ask A Distant Demon A Distant Demon for help. :p

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Damn you lazy. . .fine.

Tempted to change your name on the list to "Lazy Opossum"
I have large hands, a small phone, and no access to a computer. You must SHARE my hell, Zebei. :p

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
For me, it would be ideal to have all 3 Kanto starters :ivysaur::4charizard::squirtle: and fully evolved starters from other generations.

Grass starter = Decidueye (Sun & Moon)
FIre starter = Blaziken (Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire)
Water starter = :4greninja:

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Just to confirm, random still exists in DX but you press X for it now instead of choosing a portrait.

D

Deleted member

Figured I'd post the video of the Burst Attack.

Worth mentioning that the CSS has changed size before. The original arcade release and demos only had room for 15:

...So it's entirely possible for it to expand again.

Furthermore, where's the random button in the current one? Would they really axe that?
I am extremely doubtful we'll be getting any more additions, DLC or otherwise.
The fact they replaced the Random Select on literally every Selection screen (Character, Assist, and Stage) with the new content (though technically the Stage one was replaced by Ferrum Stadium while Thalia Beach took that stage's old spot right next to it) and had the ability to select something randomly mapped to a button on the controller instead implies that everything is "filled out" now.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Figured I'd post the video of the Burst Attack.

I am extremely doubtful we'll be getting any more additions, DLC or otherwise.
The fact they replaced the Random Select on literally every Selection screen (Character, Assist, and Stage) with the new content (though technically the Stage one was replaced by Ferrum Stadium while Thalia Beach took that stage's old spot right next to it) and had the ability to select something randomly mapped to a button on the controller instead implies that everything is "filled out" now.
Kind of a weird thing to get excited about, but man...Decidueye finally embraced his ghostliness and went incorporeal at the end there for a bit. :D

D

Deleted member

Kind of a weird thing to get excited about, but man...Decidueye finally embraced his ghostliness and went incorporeal at the end there for a bit. :D
Yeah, Pokken actually highlights the ghost aspects that aren't really touched upon in Sun/Moon.

Seraphii

Smash Rookie
Decidueye is my favourite alola starter. And rowlet got some intense popularity out there. Just look at the amount of exclusively rowlet design merchandises. Rooting for decidueye. He looked amazing in pokken as well

Amberloo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sashaloo
3DS FC
1203-9998-9799
Although Litten is my favorite of the Gen 7 starters, I actually dislike Incineroar (I kept mine as a Torracat for the whole game), and would much rather see Robin Hoot in the Smash roster. Decidueye has a really cool design, would complete the trifecta of starter types, and would be an archer type character which we don't really have that many of.

(Actually, I'd really want to see Passimian in the roster- it's my favorite Pokemon now- but there's no chance of that happening.)

Top Bottom