• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

almost the 5th East Coast Canada Power Rankings -- updated around april

chesterr01

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm resigning as a panelist.

Ever since the first PR list came out it's caused nothing but bad things for our community. Now everyone just whines that they want on the PR, or that their friend should be on the PR even though they've never been to a tournament, or that they should be higher on the PR....blah blah blah. Just take a look back through this thread and try to find any kind of positive outcome. After all the stuff that's happened in the past few months, I lost respect for quite a few people, and I think mostly it's thanks to this list. I don't want to be a part of it's creation any more.

When I was invited to join the panel, I didn't think everything would be taken so seriously. I'm really surprised how just about everything nowadays comes back to this PR list. At the end of the day, it's just a list of numbers that some guys on the internet came up with. All of you who take this list as if it's the bible need to take a step back and remember why you started playing this game in the first place.

For all those who want so badly to be on this list, or to stay on this list, I have a question. What does having a Power Ranking do/mean for you? Do you just want recognition? Something to brag about? I'm genuinely curious as to why it's so important to all of you. I'd honestly appreciate any well-reasoned opinions as to why having a PR list is so important.
I wouldn't quit if I was you. I'll post arguements.

If you look at the PR directly, there are maybe 5 out of 15 people that actually live to be higher on the PR. Everyone else just looks at it like a random list, or something to look at and go "well I've done pretty well, maybe I could go up a few ranks".

When you look at the people that talk crack about this list, and are not on the PR, most often they are wrong and everybody else disprove their attitude. Most often, these people are not aware that they aren't as good as they think they are, or they are simply fan boys just rubbing their crewmates' ego.

But I think that, all in all, even though there are maybe less positive advantages to this list, the positive ones outweigh the bad ones. I look at this list, and I look at people that strive for something. The best example I can give is Jarc. Jarc lost to Elef at STYD1. He kept on playing. The PR came out, and he was considered, but didn't make the cut (as you remember). He played the game with me, and partied hard too. He told me he wanted to make it to the PR. I encouraged him, and he worked hard, and now he's probably around number 10 on the PR (give or take 3 spots). So basically, the PR gave him a motivation to strive for excellence.

I could also name many other examples of people that have great attitudes, and even though the results don't necessarily show on paper, the gameplay they exhibit has actually improved exponentially.

I also enjoy the fact that the PR will get a stronger foundation as time goes by. When the first PR was made up, everyone over spot 10-11 was basically a toss up, but now we can actually say that we have more people that stand out of the rest (Jarc, Matt, Tect, Divine Knight for example).

So I think you should stay as a panelist. Anyway, people who stir **** are usually the people that no one cares about, or their arguments are often weak. Plus, they also play with people that are already on the panel, are knowledgeable, and can be objective. They don't have an influence on the list because of this. Plus, why should their opinion matter if the panellist from their region doesn't even agree with them?

So don't let it get to you. You were chosen because we admire your insight, your help to the community, your knowledge, and your diplomacy.

Ever since I've been on the power ranking list at spot #11 I have become stronger, faster, smarter, healthier, sexier and better in bed.
What he said.

Damax

Smash Lord
In the name of the community, this PR should be destroyed and gotten into hell. I want my name out!

I thought about getting higher, but I suck anyway. it gives false hope, alienate minds. as if performing was all there is to this game. I can't believe I've putted aside the world's greatest thing at STYD 2, fun.

chesterr01

BRoomer
BRoomer
In the name of the community, this PR should be destroyed and gotten into hell. I want my name out!

I thought about getting higher, but I suck anyway. it gives false hope, alienate minds. as if performing was all there is to this game. I can't believe I've putted aside the world's greatest thing at STYD 2, fun.
That's because you put your priorities aside. If it give you false hope, or alienates you, it's because you didn't set up your goals properly. If you are trying to get on the PR and fail, you shouldn't /wrists because of that. I'm sure that the people that don't have a chance of being on the PR had fun anyway at STYD2, and if you're saying that you're pissed/annoyed because you're failing at PRankings, you are basically spitting in everybody elses face.
I was never aware of such thing.
It would explain the headaches. Rising testosterone, raging boners, increased smash rapage. Makes sense to me.

Damax

Smash Lord
That's because you put your priorities aside. If it give you false hope, or alienates you, it's because you didn't set up your goals properly. If you are trying to get on the PR and fail, you shouldn't /wrists because of that. I'm sure that the people that don't have a chance of being on the PR had fun anyway at STYD2, and if you're saying that you're pissed/annoyed because you're failing at PRankings, you are basically spitting in everybody elses face.

It would explain the headaches. Rising testosterone, raging boners, increased smash rapage. Makes sense to me.
run on one spot in your house for months, then tell me your not pissed. then try to run faster, but you keep running on spot, isn't that interesting?

you said it yourself: "I'm sure that the people that don't have a chance of being on the PR had fun anyway at STYD2" because they didn't have to bother about performing, they could set mind on having fun.

I'm just saying I obviously suck at this game, loosing to kage I should definitly go down at least two ranking rather than increase one or two like I hoped. I also obviously suck for I still and will always get stuck against pkm on second round and loose. You can't complain chet, you've got most of what you wanted. but I still recall how emo you became when bam out runned you. or when bum battered you.

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
POWER RANKING=Top 5. end of discussion

EDIT-i skimmed through chet's monster post. that jarc story got to me. got humiliated by his lost against me and got like got soo good. PR stays, jarc for PR.

Jih

Smash Journeyman
c aussi ceux quion mit le plus dargent lol
ben c exactement la meme chose -_-

I have a question. What does having a Power Ranking do/mean for you? Do you just want recognition? Something to brag about? I'm genuinely curious as to why it's so important to all of you. I'd honestly appreciate any well-reasoned opinions as to why having a PR list is so important.
one of the big fact is to be part of thoses 10 people who are gona pwn WC canada in a 10 man intense crew battle

i miss crews :( ... and i bet that tourny will never occur...

;_; C'EST TELLEMENT CUTE/MOTIVANT COMME QUOTE! <3 Jih
chu pas mal sur que sa stai sarcastique :laugh: lolol i was serious there :(

RaIph

Smash Apprentice

meh, lol dmax we linkers arent ment to be in the melee spotlight
all cuz of those fuсking over1337 spawce zanimals with their lack of QA debug so gay mad techs like shine shіts and homocomb hoes can be acheived.

FUСK top tiers! >>XS|F

D

Deleted member

**** the PR. I'm with Fogel on this one, besides...how can we really have an accurate PR when our tournaments are so spread apart? It's just silly, really. I used to think it was important to raise spirits, but who cares? Brawl is coming out soon enough, and this will become meaningless and will continue to spark **** talks and e-**** comparing which is the main cause of our long *** threads.

I resign too..boycott.

GanonPWN!

Smash Journeyman
Chet,the PR isnt the reason i strive to get better, i do it to better myself i dont need anyone realizing how i've improved except for me. When the time comes and I play, I play formyself always. People who think that this PR is somehow a reward or a punishment are weak minded --. For me its always been a place where i can read walls of texts from my friends.

I never said to myself, hey-- i want X# onthe PR i said "i never want to screw up this technique or fall for this mindgame"

I GUESS IM JUST CRAZY

**** YOU CHESTERR01

However, that being said theres noreason for you to take me off the PR-- i realize that alot of people find it very entertaing and they liek to have somewhat of a discussion around the PR. I'm just saying its not my cup of coffee. Dont resign people, you are just being rude to chesterr01 whose probably put alot of work into this and its a fun pasttime for him and probably everyone else onthe PR panelist.

D

Deleted member

It's not that, I just think it's detrimental to the EC smash community

chesterr01

BRoomer
BRoomer
run on one spot in your house for months, then tell me your not pissed. then try to run faster, but you keep running on spot, isn't that interesting?

you said it yourself: "I'm sure that the people that don't have a chance of being on the PR had fun anyway at STYD2" because they didn't have to bother about performing, they could set mind on having fun.

I'm just saying I obviously suck at this game, loosing to kage I should definitly go down at least two ranking rather than increase one or two like I hoped. I also obviously suck for I still and will always get stuck against pkm on second round and loose. You can't complain chet, you've got most of what you wanted. but I still recall how emo you became when bam out runned you. or when bum battered you.
Everybody that goes to a tournament wants and wishes to perform well, your statement is asinine. Personally, I don't think you suck at this game. I'd be lying if I said you were top 5. Nonetheless, your place on the PR is deserved.

I understand that losing to someone less good can be frustrating, but you shouldn't because people improve. If you have a bad day, you can only blame yourself. When I told GanonPWN! to play to his fullest, so that he can have no regrets, I really meant it. Kage beat you, Bread beat you, get over it, suck it up, and come back stronger. When Bam and Vwins started getting better, I didn't *****. They deserved it, and I always respected Bam. His skills are admirable. I never was emo about him beating me, ever. Talk pas ****.

You're going down in the ranking, I went down in the ranking right before the first PR (from 2nd on the temp ranking we did). I don't complain, I was expecting to go down after this tournament, but Vwins didn't sleep much, and I didn't play Bam, so I luckily looked good. Still wouldn't mean I would stop going to local tourneys and **** if I did bad or something.

I think that the term emo is overused. People said I was emo when I said that I couldn't beat Bam or Vwins. I still believe that I can't beat them if they are having a good day. It's not being "emo", it's stating facts. Last times I played with vince and max, I won 3 times all night against them. Remember at Agora's? It's frustrating, but that's how it is when you stop playing with good people. You only come back stronger after. This is why I always enjoy playing with them, whether I win or lose.

I told Apoc this after the night at Agora when I won 3 times against Vince in 90 minutes: "At the moment, I'm not on par with them (Vwins and Bam), because I don't play people at my level (except for TestRider)". To be good, you have to play with people as good, or better than you. If that's wrong, then call me Sally. If you can't improve, well it's not that big of a deal, you shouldn't let it get to you. I thought I wouldn't beat them in the future, I used to tell people "well I'll try to hold on to my 3rd place on the PR for now, haha". People said "Come on you can do it", and I accepted their encouragement.

The Bum thing made me emo, because I was unaware of what was going on, to me, a low tier shouldn't **** me. After that most people suffered the same fate, I realized that tiers can be flexible. Did I sit down and cry? No, I learned from all that. Jason got his worst placing then, and he didn't stop. He kept on going and learned from all that, and developed a beastly DK.

I told jason: "Now I'll never take anyone lightly, no matter what char they use. All chars can be good". So unlike you Damax, I can stand back up and not ***** that I suck and ****. Personally, saying that someone is better than you doesn't phase me, it's stating facts, but people that say they suck constantly should just stfu, cuz self-depreciation isn't fun to hear or watch. If me saying that someone is better than me is bad, then cut my nuts off asap.

chu pas mal sur que sa stai sarcastique :laugh: lolol i was serious there :(
No guy, that was really touching, seriously. That was the first time that someone said that I had heart. It's kinda true, I did pour my heart into Smash for a while, for me and the community, so I thought it was touching.

Yeah, I'm a softy at heart. :laugh:

EDIT:
gpwn said:
Dont resign people, you are just being rude to chesterr01 whose probably put alot of work into this and its a fun pasttime for him and probably everyone else onthe PR panelist.
Hey I think that there are more positive points than negative. I'm a panelist, I took the time to talk it out with other people, because the community wanted a PR. The meaning of the PR varies from people to people. Personally, I've accomplished everything I ever wanted in smash, so being on or off the list doesn't matter to me. I'm playing this game because I like it, but the "have to do well" part is out the window. I have fun. I think some people here CAN have fun while trying to be on the PR. That's what the issue is about no? The PR isn't fun anymore. Because we all have different views on it. Until everyone can see the PR the same way, nobody'll be happy.

Should we just delete this thread, and do random placings at each tournament? Lol, I don't even know where I'm going with this.

TestRider

Smash Ace
The list was created in order to rank with somewhat accuracy the top smashers of East Canada, and to stimulate the community to improve the overall skill level.
There's your reason for keeping the PR going, right there.

I'm probably not the biggest fan of the PR myself, but I do feel it gives everyone who actually bothers to show up and perform at tournaments a little something extra. It's just like the Magic : The Gathering rating system : me and my friends go to Magic tournaments because we like the game, but comparing the rankings and ratings that we get for our performances also makes for friendly competition and trash talk. The problem isn't the PR itself, it's the individuals who react like ***** when they see it (and they are a minority, may I remind you).

chesterr01

BRoomer
BRoomer

I'm probably not the biggest fan of the PR myself, but I do feel it gives everyone who actually bothers to show up and perform at tournaments a little something extra. It's just like the Magic : The Gathering rating system : me and my friends go to Magic tournaments because we like the game, but comparing the rankings and ratings that we get for our performances also makes for friendly competition and trash talk. The problem isn't the PR itself, it's the individuals who react like ***** when they see it (and they are a minority, may I remind you).
pkmvodka, le ciment de la fondation.
TestRider, the voice of reason.

EDIT: TestRider, *****. ahahhahaha

Jarc

Smash Lord
TO THE CORNFIELD... BYAAAH!!!!!! (Montreal, Canada

QFF'ingT, brother.
Minus the Magic thing.
Yugioh > Magic.... IN AMERICA!

chesterr01

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'll quit smash, then train both of you in a dark basement with no light, and feed you with pills, bread and water. Then you'll become beasts and you'll fight blindfolded, and every time you lose a stock, you'll get electroshocks in the neck. Then I'll release you in nature and you will ****! ****!

Bread-Butterer

Smash Ace
I'll quit smash, then train both of you in a dark basement with no light, and feed you with pills, bread and water.
Oh ****, please don't feed me to Joel!

Why do people want to be taken off the PR? It's definately not because of the so called detrimental effects on EC Canada's community. The PR has done far more good for bad for this community. There's certainly been much more enthusiasm and drive among smashers since it came into existance. Is it really a bad thing that people are *****ing about not being on it, or being lower than someone else on the list? I don't think so. I think it shows interest and determination. Look at Divine Knight. He heard about the PR, decided he wanted to be on it, so he posted on here to request his consideration for a spot. Of course, like everyone else he was flamed, but he went to Montreal to prove himself, and now he's being considered. I would hardly call that "detrimental".

If you're quitting because of your own personal reasons (which I'm sure most of you are) then go ahead, but don't say stupid **** like "boycott the PR". You're just dragging the rest of us down with you. I for one don't really care where I go on the PR at the moment, but I'm sure as hell not gonna complain about being on it.. that's simply ********.

divine knight

Smash Journeyman
im definitely pro on this issue. The basic fundamental concept of the PR is a relative standing of competition. It is the effect of action of each competitive smasher. If you're pro, like Vwins, Bam, or Chet, then you are at the top, and that my fellow smashers is an accomplishment, to be at the top. But the PR is the result of competitive play, and those who are against the PR should quit the game and go be ghey and then maybe die. The reason you play competitively is to be compettive, to be the best, to be undefeated, to put all others to shame by method of fourstock. And it is motivation to see the recognition that Vwins gets, and all those below him to strive for the day that they might be in the same position, owning noobs from all across Canada.

All the *****ing is just an expression of how each individual is going to try and face every single person on the power rankings in hope that they will wreck one of them. Wth is wrong with that? When i see *****ing and trashtalk, i see spirit, not counter production against the community, the competitive scene, or the game itself.

The PR is the god**** reason i would travel 14 hours on a bus, getting no sleep over the majority of the weekend, and spending money that i dont really have to spend (knowing im not going to gain anything but those intense matches when i have the opportunity to try my hardest and improve myself). If the PR can cause this sort of behavior then **** yeah, that is incredibly useful to the community.

Damax

Smash Lord
I guess its more the game that makes me piss

Falco
Fox/Marth
Various
sheik
sheik/marth
Pach
marth
Capitain
Falco
peach
falco
Link/samus? Wth
Fox

also look at that tier whoring roster.

I did bad with doc (high tier) so I'm gonna change either going back to link for fun or sheik or marth for tier whoring.

get me down I don't care anymore, get me out I care little. The fact I got there with a low tier makes me proud. don't expect anymore reply from me here. I'm outta here. GL to anyone who wants to get on here, too bad for those who'll never gonna get on this (you know who you are just face it).

chesterr01

BRoomer
BRoomer
Attention: All emos, scrubs, noobs, people who have no self-esteem, people with no hope, people who like to be attention whores, please follow your guide through the exit, k thx.

WarranThad

Smash Ace

I should really get back in to mtg at some point, come to think of it...

Damax

Smash Lord
Mind games daisy pas mime game. sans parler que ses posts la = montreal thread et non PR thread.

Attention: All emos, scrubs, noobs, people who have no self-esteem, people with no hope, people who like to be attention whores, please follow your guide through the exit, k thx.
shouldn't you get out? Obviously you'd never say such things in front of people in real life. Thanks for telling me what you thought of me. And don't try saving you black *** again. Also MSN me rather than trying to blast me on here. No offense if it can help you feel better go on. I knew I shouldn't have went to buy your **** at the pharmacy, I always end up being used.

I'm outta here

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
Keep the ****ing power rankings people. Its done the community much good, I doubt there would be so many new up and comers without it. Its recognition for hard work that was put in to get good at this game.

Also, **** people man up about ****, I haven't seen this much pissing and whining over a ****ing list in SO long. There are rankings list for just about every competitive sport/game out there, smash isn't special. IF you disagree with things and want to quit then fine, quit. But dont go trying to make a big scene about it attention whoring yourself out and dampening everyone who still wants it's spirits, thats such a childish ****ing move. Nobody wants or cares about your EMOtions.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
I guess its more the game that makes me piss

Falco
Fox/Marth
Various
sheik
sheik/marth
Pach
marth
Capitain
Falco
peach
falco
Link/samus? Wth
Fox

also look at that tier whoring roster.

I did bad with doc (high tier) so I'm gonna change either going back to link for fun or sheik or marth for tier whoring.
Competitive fighting games is all about tier whoring... sad but true

At least smash has a few more viable characters then other games...

Dice

Smash Lord
Damax, like bigrick said, all fighting games are about tier whoring. The point of a fighting game is to win, and if winning comes easiest to you with a top tier character, then use them. however, if you don't want to use a top tier, then don't complain about how ****ty your character is, because it doesn't impress anyone.

Bob Lablaw

Smash Journeyman
I'm guilty of that myself. To all hell with tier whoring though. I'd rather stand for something!

Top Bottom