• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Allotting Time to Think

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
A brief note: people considerably better or more experienced than me will probably find much of this totally obvious, but hopefully this will help people around my skill level or lower.

One of my biggest weaknesses has always been my inability to adapt to unfamiliar tactics/playstyles on the fly. I had accepted that I wasn't good at thinking at the spot , but Wobbles' recent blog post on resource management and my own recent failure at dealing with unfamiliar playstyles have led me to re-evaluate the situation and I came to several noteworthy realizations. The most important of these is that if you encounter any sort of problematic situation, it doesn't matter when you come up with a solution or how long it takes you to come up with a solution as long as you solve the problem before this situation next arises.

This sounds obvious, but it's worth thinking about. Consider the following example: let's say you're ICs and you're playing against a Jigglypuff. The Puff is applying some sort of shield pressure that, off the top of your head, you don't know how to punish. You try something that fails and Puff uairs you. Suddenly, Nana and Popo are separated and you're focused on re-syncing the ICs before one of them is killed. You succeed and bair Puff far offstage and wait for her to come close enough to the stage to do something. She manages to make it back, applies the same sort of shield pressure as before, and you still don't have a good answer to it. If you found yourself in this situation (and I bet a lot of people around my skill level or lower often experience similar situations), there are two crucial, related mistakes you made here: you were always focused on the present and you didn't take full advantage of a situation with low cognitive requirements.

When Puff first uaired you, you probably briefly thought something like "Okay, this punishment doesn't work" or "Why did I get hit?", but then your attention immediately shifted to not getting ***** by any of the stupid things that Jigglypuff can do, which is fine, but if you hadn't come up with a satisfactory answer to her shield pressure yet, you'll need to find time later for thinking about this problem. Let's flash-forward to the time right after you bair Puff offstage. Jigglypuff isn't the fastest character to get back to the stage and there isn't a lot you can do to stop her recovery until she's kind of close to the stage, so there's a decent amount of time that you're just sitting there waiting. What are you doing during this time? You might be mindlessly shooting ice blocks that have no chance of hitting and waiting until Puff is close to you. Maybe you're thinking "This is boring" or perhaps you're fantasizing about your significant other. The point is that you're not doing anything productive. Since this situation isn't mentally strenuous, why not use it for thinking about Puff's shield pressure?

If I said anything absurd about the Puff vs. ICs match-up that would never actually happen, don't dwell on it too much. What I was trying to emphasize is that even if you're not an amazingly fast thinker who can immediately identify an answer to every problem that you encounter, you can still find other times to solve problems and as long as you can solve them before said problems next arise, this is just as good as solving them right after coming across them.

Of course, doing this requires identifying situations with low cognitive demands. These situations vary a lot by match-up, but here a few ones that pop up particularly often.

-Recovering: Making it back to the stage with Sopo tends to be time-consuming and straightforward. You side-B, you get knocked off again, you side-B again, and so on until you either die or make it back to the stage. This procedure takes a while and there aren't a lot of other options you have for making it back to the stage, so you can use this time for addressing things that have been going wrong. Even if there isn't anything in particular on your mind, you could still find something else to think about. Why are you left with Popo? What did you do that led to Nana dying or being separated from you? Why were you knocked offstage? What could you have done to prevent any of these? Also, keep in mind that you can stay on the recovery platform for a few seconds when you respawn; there's rarely a need to rush back into the action!

-Edgeguarding: Characters like Jigglypuff and Samus tend to take forever to safely make it back to the stage. Don't simply spend this time lollygagging!

-Being camped: This is only really applicable to forms of camping that don't put a lot of pressure on you, but there are a lot of those. There's no hurry to get to your opponent, so feel free to think about whatever you need to address. Don't panic if you don't immediately see how to beat a certain form of camping when your opponent has a 30% lead and there are 5 minutes left.

-Camping!: I think the idea is clear here.

Another really obvious case that I'm sure most people already take advantage of is the time between rounds, but I wanted to mention it nonetheless.

If there's anything about this post you feel like discussing or if you want to tell me I'm dumb for making a big deal about this or whatever, feel free to do so.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hehe thanks fly

hopefully this advice will help me think better on the fly
_amanita

i've been learning more and more from my matches lately and my play style is way more adaptive these days, i've been thinking this way too :)

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Interesting read, allways keep occupied effectively sounds like a good way to improve (had not though about using Popos recoverypart more effective, thanks)

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
The message isn't just "always think." It's more like "always find time to think about things you need to address," although not exactly.

Why has this board been so dead lately?

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
Hmm because people think that we know everthing there is to know about the game.

I think there is still so much to learn, and many many unexplored ways of looking at the game, matchups, and moves.

Lets all be more active and see what we can do.

EDIT

maybe we could re hash some matchups or levels.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I would be amazed if any ice climber player knew everything for the ice climbers if so I want to see more retarted de-synced that mindgame the crap out of people.

AXE 09

Smash Master
this is interesting...... i'll definately take what you said into account, Fly.

now that i go back and look at it, i usually only think when i lose a stock. you know, when you have to respawn and it takes forever? sometimes i'll just sit up there and think about his playstyle... like things that i can do differently that can lead to better results

i'm being totally serious when i say this.... sometimes when i play this game, my brain hurts even more than when i'm in math class X.X

Jartravious

Smash Journeyman
Hmm because people think that we know everthing there is to know about the game.

I think there is still so much to learn, and many many unexplored ways of looking at the game, matchups, and moves.

Lets all be more active and see what we can do.

EDIT

maybe we could re hash some matchups or levels.
if i should move this please say so

along the lines of stages I was considering what stages might be good for the IC as a counter pick and this odd idea came up...... Corneria

now obviously you wouldn't want to take the spacies there but it seems to maybe have some potential. The IC's up- smash is a great kill move and the low ceiling helps. But even more important is the fin. If you play down by the fin your limiting the space players can avoid your smashes, grabs, and b-airs. In my head I see this working fairly well against Samus and maybe even Captain Falcon since you can use grabs to set up whatever smash you choose, or if he techs you could follow with sh- bairs or wavedash to smash...

But I'm probably missing something obvious. Really would like others input.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Corneria is my favorite CP stage against almost all characters except spacies.

Regarding the two particular characters you mention, it can work against Falcon, but he can be really tough if he gets a lead since he's good at running away there. I honestly think ICs beat Samus there for a lot of reasons, but I'd prefer it if you take this to the General ICs Chat thread if you want to continue discussing it.

pockyD

Smash Legend
i think people should actually start new threads instead of basically sticking to the one or two that exist

having a "general ic chat" post is kind of silly when the entire forum is meant to be "general ic chat"

Jartravious

Smash Journeyman
i think people should actually start new threads instead of basically sticking to the one or two that exist

having a "general ic chat" post is kind of silly when the entire forum is meant to be "general ic chat"
I completely agree it isn't exactly user friend;y when everything is packed together.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer

Ya know, when I came up with the general chat (and, not to brag, I did come up with the first one in the melee discussion), I never really meant it to be like, THE place where all discussion goes. I always looked at it like the thread says, a GENERAL place to talk.

Infact, the original intent of the doc general chat was literally to bs, but I told otg to change the thread so that mods couldnt bust us for "being off topic."

___

But yeah, as long as threads have some real merit and worth, such as this one, there's absolutely nothing wrong with them.

So yeah, don't be AFRAID of making new threads or anything. Nothing bad is going to happen (unless it's some super stupid s***.)

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Ooo, you should also mention when you die and are invincible on that platform thing. I remember being told to use the time from being killed, coming back on to the screen on that platform, and simply standing on that platform as long as possible.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
wow my ideas taken used and even thought of at least somewhat decent.... I really am lost :( depressed wtf.

If the ice climbers had a good stall like m2, fox, falco, sheik, or gannon I would say stall to think or to calm down if your P***ed off.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Why keep it? you laugh ssooooo much more when your not sane. It's to bad the ice climbers don't have a way to stall or avoid people amazingly well then if the player gets mad the could stall and think and calm down. Ice CLimbers are a rage charcter to play as not saying that beccause of wobbles(E> wobbles)

Top Bottom