• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

All right. I'm new to Captain Falcon. Who can give me a walkthrough of strategy?

Proverbs

Smash Lord
I absolutely love the way Falcon moves and attacks and everything. He recently displaced both Zelda and Game and Watch on my list of mains, making him number 3 (this was after seeing Scar's combo video, "I Killed Mufasa").

Problem is, I have no idea how to use him. I've looked in a couple FAQs but they don't seem to have much on how to play him. In fact, one on here has a disappointing 'Coming Soon' after the 'General How to Play' category.

Now I need serious help on this guy. What are good approach strategies with him? When, if ever, should I use the Falcon Punch? How can I set up for the knee? How can I edgeguard well? Should I try to combo across the stage and KO like Falcon did in Melee or should I stick to gimping? What are my best recovery options? Should I go for a Falcon-spike against a stupid edgeguarder (using forward+B to spike and then using the small vertical lift to make it to the edge)? That type of thing.

I'm trying to get used to him right now and am currently realizing his great potential for mindgames. The way Falcon moves is ridiculous. He has great speed and attacks to match that (Unlike Sonic who's ridiculously floaty and, while having great ground speed, does not have attacks that speak the same). I've even found dashdancing USEFUL with Falcon. You can move forward with his dashdance a little. The lag time it take for him to pivot after a full run is small, so you can dashdance, move forward or a back a bit, dash dance again, et cetera. This can lead shorthop-backflipped-sweetspotted knees that your opponent won't see coming, et cetera. He is also the only character I use that can walljump. This I want to learn to use as well. Although he is hypothesized to be the worst character in the game, I think he has much potential.

Can anyone give me the lowdown of how to play him?

Tenki

Smash Hero
Now I need serious help on this guy. What are good approach strategies with him? When, if ever, should I use the Falcon Punch? How can I set up for the knee? How can I edgeguard well? Should I try to combo across the stage and KO like Falcon did in Melee or should I stick to gimping? What are my best recovery options? Should I go for a Falcon-spike against a stupid edgeguarder (using forward+B to spike and then using the small vertical lift to make it to the edge)? That type of thing.

I'm trying to get used to him right now and am currently realizing his great potential for mindgames. The way Falcon moves is ridiculous. He has great speed and attacks to match that (Unlike Sonic who's ridiculously floaty and, while having great ground speed, does not have attacks that speak the same). I've even found dashdancing USEFUL with Falcon. You can move forward with his dashdance a little. The lag time it take for him to pivot after a full run is small, so you can dashdance, move forward or a back a bit, dash dance again, et cetera. This can lead shorthop-backflipped-sweetspotted knees that your opponent won't see coming, et cetera. He is also the only character I use that can walljump. This I want to learn to use as well. Although he is hypothesized to be the worst character in the game, I think he has much potential.

Can anyone give me the lowdown of how to play him?
lol part of the thing is that Falcon mains are still working on the best way to work with his current form. See what you can do with him for now XD

Up-B is a nice recovery, if you're already moving toward the stage. It seems to suck a little bit if you're jumping off stage and jumping back- looks like it loses a bit of momentum.

One good tip is to not play him like Melee Falcon. Apparently, almost everyone who has tried to do so has either given up on Falcon or realized they had to change their style.

PS. Sonic's F-air, N-air, U-air, tilts, and dash attack say hi to slow attacks :x

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
well Falcon shouldn't approach.............. at all, except if your can send out a SH Nair faster then the opponent can send his/her aerial, which leads into why Falcon rocks. Pay back, when Falcon gets one opening to attack, it's time for a serious beatdown, however it's finding a way to approach that's the hard part since his priority sucks.

"Combo's"

1-Dair to knee will work if auto canceled and at certain %

2-my combo :)

Dtilt to Dair auto canceled, this isn't supposed to hit 100% of the time but it is a killing move (best used when near an edge) because it nipple launches opponents with GREAT hitstun

3-SHFFL Nairs work well against heavy characters

4-forward throw can be chain-grabbed somewhat

Pointers

don't use Falcon Punch unless you have a stock leading

Use the knee auto canceled if the opponent is on a platform above you it almost always connects as a sweet-spot

The knee can be SHFF, but takes a good months practice, but has really bad landing Lag

When hanging on a ledge press back then jump and do a knee the sweet-spot anyone who's edge-guarding

learn to Haduken (however it's spelled)

Reaver197

Smash Lord
I'm going to say that if you really want to have fun playing Falcon, play him in 64 or Melee. If you like him for combos, Brawl will most certainly fail you in that department.

And, lolz, the general how to play section, I never did get around to updating that did I? Well, it seems that there really is no good, general advice you can always rely upon all the time. Everything is so situational and iffy with Falcon in Brawl.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
PS. Sonic's F-air, N-air, U-air, tilts, and dash attack say hi to slow attacks :x
^That leaves his b-air, his f-smash, d-smash, u-smash, all of his b-moves, and throws that are slow, right? Not to mention his floatiness. Doesn't seem worth it to me. He just seems weak and slow when actually fighting. Maybe I just can't get used to him, though. But, for me, Sonic was a real disappointment. I loved his games and he just doesn't measure up in Brawl. I'll just wait for the next game to buff him like they did Zelda T_T;;

By the way, how do you auto-cancel? <.<;;

Tenki

Smash Hero
By the way, how do you auto-cancel? <.<;;
Uh... I don't know why it would matter if throws were slow XD Ohya, while working on testing kill%'s, I noticed that Sonic was about 5% heavier than Marth, if that means anything lol.
Here it is!
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=170148

I think Falcon boards need a thread with a list+links to useful threads that are good but just weren't sticky worthy.

===lulzhasnothingtodowithfalcon===
^That leaves his b-air, his f-smash, d-smash, u-smash, all of his b-moves, and throws that are slow, right? Not to mention his floatiness. Doesn't seem worth it to me. He just seems weak and slow when actually fighting. Maybe I just can't get used to him, though. But, for me, Sonic was a real disappointment. I loved his games and he just doesn't measure up in Brawl. I'll just wait for the next game to buff him like they did Zelda T_T;;
Yeah, his 'finishing moves' are slow. U-smash slides a great deal, so it's not so much a big deal that it's a bit slow on startup, but if you can deal with Ike's lag, you can deal with those moves lol. I messed around for Sonic's kill%'s and it seemed that he was about 5% heavier than Marth.. if that means anything lol. Spindashes reach the opponent fast, but require 1-3 seconds to charge. I'd consider them a 'fast' move, but some people don't, for some reason @.@

IMO he's played alot like his Genesis self- dodge and wait for attacks to finish, then punish when they can't attack. Seriously, Robotnik outprioritized all of Sonic's attacks back then, LOL

but on a serious note, Sonic combos fairly well, making up for lack of individual moves' weakness while making opponents easier to kill :x

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Searched and couldn't find it. Are you sure it was BananaTrooper?

Edit: Uh...why did you bring Ike into this? I don't play Ike because of his lagtime and slowness (he was awesome in the actual Fire Emblem game which disappoints me that he's so bad in Brawl <.<;; ).

As for Marth, sure Sonic might be a little heavier, but Marth deals damage better and is an overall better character than Sonic. His moves probably come out a lot faster anyway. Not to mention that he's just...better....and his b-moves are noticeably different from one another XP But that matters little.

Anyway, thanks for posting the link to the thread.

nikili

Smash Rookie
Hi guys I use captain falcon and i'd like to know how to cancel his triple A instead of doing the rapid punchs after the knee, i've seen silent spectre doing it many times, but i dont know how to do it.

Tenki

Smash Hero
If you delay after the 2nd punch, it won't go into the infinite attack.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Can Falcon Kick be used as an approach at all? T_T;; I'm thinking it might be a decent one if its priority is decent. I still haven't gone against a lot of serious players with my Falcon just yet. I have realized that it's a great approach if you start on platforms like on Pokemon Stadium 1 or 2 or Battlefield to get a quick hit before anyone else. Any thoughts on this?

Tenki

Smash Hero

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Can Falcon Kick be used as an approach at all? T_T;; I'm thinking it might be a decent one if its priority is decent. I still haven't gone against a lot of serious players with my Falcon just yet. I have realized that it's a great approach if you start on platforms like on Pokemon Stadium 1 or 2 or Battlefield to get a quick hit before anyone else. Any thoughts on this?
IMO Falcon Kick is hands down his BEST approach. In comparison to other peoples' approaches in the game though, it's still not very good, but it's definitely the best Falcon's got now. Your strategy works fairly well and I do that myself sometimes, but once you do it once you're likely to get punished by the same player if you try it again.

Oh and for whoever asked, there are a couple ways to just stop after the intial punches and Gentleman Knee:

1. A Z Z (not held)
2. A A A (not held)
3. AAA (held but you have to be REALLY precise with your let up)

Honestly though why would you NOT want the fists of fury? You're much more likely to get punished by not going into them (unless you're sly and quick with something else like more punches, but even then idk I'd definitely go for the fists of fury everytime).

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Yeah, I figured that would happen. I'm thinking a defensive approach is best. Just move forward with air dodges, roll dodges, spot dodges, and shields. But not against Shieldbreaker *shudder* The most demoralizing thing that can happen to you is when a Marth breaks your shield, taunts you, and then tips you with a fully charged shieldbreaker from 40%. It's really bad.

Believe me--I've done it a couple of times. Each time my opponent was just like, "Wow...that was really embarassing."

brawlmaniac

Smash Lord
I use the side-B sometimes especially when my opponent is rolling around a lot. I use Up-throw to Up-B sometimes and if they're at a certain damage percentage, it usually connects. I don't really know when to use a Falcon Punch either. I'm not even sure if it's smart to use it in a match.

Krigar

Smash Rookie
Hi guys I use captain falcon and i'd like to know how to cancel his triple A instead of doing the rapid punchs after the knee, i've seen silent spectre doing it many times, but i dont know how to do it.
It's easy to do if you just hold A until the you see the Knee start to come out, then you can just let go. But the best way to get a feel for how it works with tapping A is just by practicing in training mode.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Okay. This topic is now housing some of my discoveries about Captain Falcon for discussion on them.

I'm making a list for when I can talk about these as I'm practicing with him right now: Jump cancel your shield into an n-air or u-air (maybe even b-air depending), Yoshi's Island, Onett, sourspotting, wavelanding (foward+B)

Ignore this for the moment, I'll explain it all later.

Okay. Now for me to explain.

Jump Cancel to N-air is pretty straight forward. If you're stuck in a shield you can jump cancel it into an n-air which is a decent response. If someone thinks you're about to grab and spot dodges, the double hit of the n-air is a great reaction. This might be able to be done with the u-air and b-air effectively too, but I doubt the f-air for obvious reasons. I'm not sure about the d-air.

Onett seems to be a great stage for Falcon and maybe his best. Falcon's very versatile movement is finally put to good use on Onett which is basically an obstacle course. Here he gains the advantage when it comes to KOing. As someone noted in another thread, Falcon is the type that hits people off the edge and continues to do so until they are KOed or gimped and die. Here the walk-off edges are great for b-airs or even a knee. The vertical boundary is low so u-air KOs from the top of the drug store are going to be easy. Also, a great way to do combos will be off the house. If your opponent doesn't wall tech, anticipate that. If he does, anticipate that as well and set up a knee for when he's done teching. Either way it will help make your opponent vulnerable. Falcon's speed and strength will definitely help him out here and I think this could be a solidly good stage for him.

Wavelanding, as I'm sure you're all familiar with, is much easier for Captain Falcon than the rest of the cast it seems. He seems to be able to waveland things like his f-air on slopes and his forward+B when recovering. This will lead to great spacing opportunities that your opponent won't anticipate or can buffer your mistakes. This section needs some development ;~;

Yoshi's Island allows for wavelanding extremely well with the forward+B if you use it to recover and allows for wall jumping which can help edgeguarding. Not much else to say, but I felt like it fit Falcon well when I played on it today.

Sourspotting, I feel, will definitely help Captain Falcon. If I asked you to sweetspot a knee on a professional opponent eleven times during a fight, I'm not sure you'd be incredibly confident. However, if I asked you to sourspot eleven knees on a pro, I think you'd have more confidence. So why does sourspotting help? Because it's easy. You can do it extremely easily and guess what? During that small amount of time Captain Falcon has the speed to chase and have it lead into other things like a u-air that just barely knocks them over the edge and then a knee as your opponent tries to recover. It's something that can definitely be put to good use. Watch 'I Killed Mufasa' to see how Scar does things after sourspotting (although you WILL see more sweetspots than sourspots, but then again, that's in Melee). Stop trying to land sweetspots all the time and instead look what you can do with sourspots.

That's all my useless ramblings for the day. As I come across more I'll let you know.

OH! I forgot to mention this.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the term 'Falconspiking', it's when you spike someone with Falcon's forward+B. Now, this has gotten MUCH easier in Brawl than it was in Melee. People might underestimate Falcon's recovery as his f-air is not the quickest to come out and his b-air, u-air, and d-air won't be the first things to help his recovery. His n-air, unless I'm mistaken, isn't of great priority, and thus those with disjointed hitboxes would foolishly think they've got an easy egdeguard.

Wrong. Falcon's forward+B I've yet to see the priority on, but timed correctly you will spike anyone trying to edgeguard you without edgehogging with invincibility frames only when you need to sweetspot. The great thing about the transfer from Melee to Brawl is that if you actually hit something during your forward+B in the air, you get a small lift, similar to Marth's one-time lift from his forward+B. Use this to grab the edge. If your opponent was at low percents, you may have just put yourself up a stock or two. I sometimes see this happen when I've just KOed someone and am at mid or slightly high percents. So they'll get me to around 100% and I'll have them say around 50%. So they'll knock me off the edge and try to edgeguard. Bam! Falconspike! Now they're two stocks down and I make it back to the edge.

Not only this but Falcon can also edgeguard with this if done correctly. Occasionally you will have the time (given by the lift) to DI back to the stage if you do this off the stage to spike an opponent (be VERY careful with this, though. If your opponent predicts this and airdodges, you will be the only one going down).

Also, I've begun to correct this, but someone on the Marth board made a gimping guide sorted by character. Under Captain Falcon they said to just edgehog him and he dies if he needs to sweetspot the edge with his up+B. NOT TRUE. At high percents this thing stagespikes people to oblivion. And if it doesn't, your opponent should be a quick invincibility framed edgehog away from a premature death. Once again, you might end up two stocks up before getting KOed due to this. If anyone seems to be underestimating Falcon's ability to get back to the edge, make sure they're in for a surprise.

Well, that's all I have for the day! I'll see if I can play people more often to crank out more techniques. Let me know what you think.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Okay. This topic is now housing some of my discoveries about Captain Falcon for discussion on them.

I'm making a list for when I can talk about these as I'm practicing with him right now: Jump cancel your shield into an n-air or u-air (maybe even b-air depending), Yoshi's Island, Onett, sourspotting, wavelanding (foward+B)

Ignore this for the moment, I'll explain it all later.

Okay. Now for me to explain.

Jump Cancel to N-air is pretty straight forward. If you're stuck in a shield you can jump cancel it into an n-air which is a decent response. If someone thinks you're about to grab and spot dodges, the double hit of the n-air is a great reaction. This might be able to be done with the u-air and b-air effectively too, but I doubt the f-air for obvious reasons. I'm not sure about the d-air.

Onett seems to be a great stage for Falcon and maybe his best. Falcon's very versatile movement is finally put to good use on Onett which is basically an obstacle course. Here he gains the advantage when it comes to KOing. As someone noted in another thread, Falcon is the type that hits people off the edge and continues to do so until they are KOed or gimped and die. Here the walk-off edges are great for b-airs or even a knee. The vertical boundary is low so u-air KOs from the top of the drug store are going to be easy. Also, a great way to do combos will be off the house. If your opponent doesn't wall tech, anticipate that. If he does, anticipate that as well and set up a knee for when he's done teching. Either way it will help make your opponent vulnerable. Falcon's speed and strength will definitely help him out here and I think this could be a solidly good stage for him.

Wavelanding, as I'm sure you're all familiar with, is much easier for Captain Falcon than the rest of the cast it seems. He seems to be able to waveland things like his f-air on slopes and his forward+B when recovering. This will lead to great spacing opportunities that your opponent won't anticipate or can buffer your mistakes. This section needs some development ;~;

Yoshi's Island allows for wavelanding extremely well with the forward+B if you use it to recover and allows for wall jumping which can help edgeguarding. Not much else to say, but I felt like it fit Falcon well when I played on it today.

Sourspotting, I feel, will definitely help Captain Falcon. If I asked you to sweetspot a knee on a professional opponent eleven times during a fight, I'm not sure you'd be incredibly confident. However, if I asked you to sourspot eleven knees on a pro, I think you'd have more confidence. So why does sourspotting help? Because it's easy. You can do it extremely easily and guess what? During that small amount of time Captain Falcon has the speed to chase and have it lead into other things like a u-air that just barely knocks them over the edge and then a knee as your opponent tries to recover. It's something that can definitely be put to good use. Watch 'I Killed Mufasa' to see how Scar does things after sourspotting (although you WILL see more sweetspots than sourspots, but then again, that's in Melee). Stop trying to land sweetspots all the time and instead look what you can do with sourspots.

That's all my useless ramblings for the day. As I come across more I'll let you know.

OH! I forgot to mention this.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the term 'Falconspiking', it's when you spike someone with Falcon's forward+B. Now, this has gotten MUCH easier in Brawl than it was in Melee. People might underestimate Falcon's recovery as his f-air is not the quickest to come out and his b-air, u-air, and d-air won't be the first things to help his recovery. His n-air, unless I'm mistaken, isn't of great priority, and thus those with disjointed hitboxes would foolishly think they've got an easy egdeguard.

Wrong. Falcon's forward+B I've yet to see the priority on, but timed correctly you will spike anyone trying to edgeguard you without edgehogging with invincibility frames only when you need to sweetspot. The great thing about the transfer from Melee to Brawl is that if you actually hit something during your forward+B in the air, you get a small lift, similar to Marth's one-time lift from his forward+B. Use this to grab the edge. If your opponent was at low percents, you may have just put yourself up a stock or two. I sometimes see this happen when I've just KOed someone and am at mid or slightly high percents. So they'll get me to around 100% and I'll have them say around 50%. So they'll knock me off the edge and try to edgeguard. Bam! Falconspike! Now they're two stocks down and I make it back to the edge.

Not only this but Falcon can also edgeguard with this if done correctly. Occasionally you will have the time (given by the lift) to DI back to the stage if you do this off the stage to spike an opponent (be VERY careful with this, though. If your opponent predicts this and airdodges, you will be the only one going down).

Also, I've begun to correct this, but someone on the Marth board made a gimping guide sorted by character. Under Captain Falcon they said to just edgehog him and he dies if he needs to sweetspot the edge with his up+B. NOT TRUE. At high percents this thing stagespikes people to oblivion. And if it doesn't, your opponent should be a quick invincibility framed edgehog away from a premature death. Once again, you might end up two stocks up before getting KOed due to this. If anyone seems to be underestimating Falcon's ability to get back to the edge, make sure they're in for a surprise.

Well, that's all I have for the day! I'll see if I can play people more often to crank out more techniques. Let me know what you think.
The Nair thing doesn't work on any short people and even some medium-sized people unfortunately. Plus the priority is not that great and it can easily be broken by a quick AAA combo. If you wait long enough for it to hit reliably, you're exposed for too long.

Onett is tourney banned so that doesn't really help. Your best bet is to counterpick to Pirate Ship EVERYTIME.

I believe you mean Dair and not Fair regarding the waveland thing. And yes, it's a nice asset of his. Yet another reason to counterpick Pirate Ship EVERYTIME. Also pray for Yoshi's Island on neutral random. lol

Raptor Boost is not as good of a thing as you would think unfortunately. I thought exactly like you do now back when I first started Brawl Falcon, and after many MANY matches I've realized that the priority is really not that great. Most aerials break it unless they screw up the timing. It's still a decent spike and a pretty good recovery, but honestly I've died too many times from trying it only to get knocked back by some crappy aerial and then dying do to being out of recovery range. I use it all the time in certain situations, but ONLY in those situations.

The gimp Knee is good indeed. I use it regularly. Decent reach, good priority, GREAT duration. Seriously the move lasts for 2 seconds probably. lol If Bair did that too it would ****.

Yeah, I hear what you're saying about Marth boards. I've been lurking around other character boards recently, and honestly 80% of what they all say in their matchup guides concerning Falcon is so wrong it's not even funny. I honestly hope I get to play people who live by those guides, because I would crush them. For example:

The Big Book of Fox Matchups:

"Look out for Falcon's Nair as it is his best and most used approach."

No mention of Falcon Kick, Running A, AAA combo, or anything that is actually useful with Falcon. Anyone who uses Nair as their main approach is an idiot.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
That's hilarious that some guides say that. Wow...

Anyway, I did mean the f-air. If landed correctly you waveland with Falcon (works for Marth too on the rock on Pirate Ship). I actually wasn't sure if the d-air did it. Try it out, I'm curious if it could end up working for an unexpected sweetspotted knee.

Are you sure Onett is tournament banned? I heard that nothing was certain yet about those types of things. But maybe I'm wrong. Why is it banned, anyhow?

Huh...I really wish Falcon had better priority T_T;; Whatever, though. I'm sure we can make him work. We'll just have to be faster, smarter, and better than our higher tier opponents. I always pull out this example, but Simna did it. Unless Falcon literally had no attacks, I'm sure we could make him work. I'm actually convinced he's better than Sonic, Ike, and Ganondorf.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that on Lylat Cruise(I think that's the new Starfox stage <.<;;) you can up+B people right under the wings of the stage so they basically die. It was hilarious to see Sonic up+B just to have his face in the stage for like three seconds.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
That's hilarious that some guides say that. Wow...

Anyway, I did mean the f-air. If landed correctly you waveland with Falcon (works for Marth too on the rock on Pirate Ship). I actually wasn't sure if the d-air did it. Try it out, I'm curious if it could end up working for an unexpected sweetspotted knee.

Are you sure Onett is tournament banned? I heard that nothing was certain yet about those types of things. But maybe I'm wrong. Why is it banned, anyhow?

Huh...I really wish Falcon had better priority T_T;; Whatever, though. I'm sure we can make him work. We'll just have to be faster, smarter, and better than our higher tier opponents. I always pull out this example, but Simna did it. Unless Falcon literally had no attacks, I'm sure we could make him work. I'm actually convinced he's better than Sonic, Ike, and Ganondorf.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that on Lylat Cruise(I think that's the new Starfox stage <.<;;) you can up+B people right under the wings of the stage so they basically die. It was hilarious to see Sonic up+B just to have his face in the stage for like three seconds.
Yeah, I've come to the conclusion that most people have no idea what they're talking about regarding Falcon unless they've actually spent some time playing AS him.

Fair really? I guess I'll have to try that. My next question of course is how would a slide after the attack result in tricky Knees?

I've yet to see any tourney or online community that has Onett as legal. So chances are that the BRoomers will ban it officially once the official stage legality comes out. As for reasoning, look no further than DeDeDe. Infinite chain grab in either direction if you're in the middle of the stage is an epic fail, and if you're outside you will get infinited in one direction or walk-off killed in the other. All around a failure. People also cite the car as a problem even though it was toned down in terms of power. The real reason as I said though is that it has 4 walls and two walk-off sides.

Sonic seems to be looking more and more like worst in the game from what I've heard. If so that's one victory for Falcon! Anything is better than worst. Ganondorf </> Falcon is still being debated by some, but I agree with you on it that Falcon is the better character. Ganondorf has some good things about him that Falcon doesn't have, but his lack of mobility, recovery, and overall bulkiness make him worse overall imo.

Yes, it's always fun to UpB people to their deaths. Especially in the manner that you just told. Personally I think the most satisfying way to do it is when you surprise lazy edgehoggers who don't know that the move grabs now. lol Edgehog -> Stage Spike KO FTW!!!

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Fair really? I guess I'll have to try that. My next question of course is how would a slide after the attack result in tricky Knees?
Because the f-air takes years to come out. If you slide while it's coming out you have instant spacing for a sweetspot. And as you said yourself, the knee's hitbox stays out for nearly a full two seconds. You could probably at least score a sourspot that way. I'm not sure how it works exactly, so I'll need to test that as far as if you can slide as the knee's hitbox comes out. But we'll see.

Tenki

Smash Hero
It could just be me but I think Ike/Falcon's aerial side-B's trigger even through airdodges, so you can actually get that hop even if they are invincible. At the same time, they can airdodge through/in front of you and stop you, but that generally shouldn't be a problem since Falcon doesn't need to start side-Bs so far away from the stage as Ike does.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Because the f-air takes years to come out. If you slide while it's coming out you have instant spacing for a sweetspot. And as you said yourself, the knee's hitbox stays out for nearly a full two seconds. You could probably at least score a sourspot that way. I'm not sure how it works exactly, so I'll need to test that as far as if you can slide as the knee's hitbox comes out. But we'll see.
I'm still not quite sure what you're talking about sadly. It seems to me like you're saying that the slide will somehow result in a hit due to the length of the move, but that can't be what you're saying since that doesn't work. lol I dunno. Sorry. :(

flash7

Smash Journeyman
Are you talking about Melee or Brawl? In Brawl you just press A three times, in Melee you need to time the third hit (helps if you press shield as well).

You dont need all that timing stuff or A Z Z in Brawl. Its very easy to do in Brawl but its alot less effective since the knee (from the jab combo) doesnt send the opponent back any more.

And as for the fists of fury I would not recommend it, its very punishable. Sometimes I do it by accident and my opponent will DI away from me and then FSmash me. This happens when im just waiting for the punches to end.

Maybe ill make a How to play thread. I have some ideas and my Falcon is good i'd say. Of course you guys should help as well :p

Proverbs

Smash Lord
I'm still not quite sure what you're talking about sadly. It seems to me like you're saying that the slide will somehow result in a hit due to the length of the move, but that can't be what you're saying since that doesn't work. lol I dunno. Sorry. :(
I'll see what I can figure out and then let you know. However I'm not sure how much I can contribute here. I'm slowly being pulled away from Brawl and back to Melee. It's a really tough choice for me T_T;; And Falcon being good in Melee doesn't help me stay with Brawl either. <.<;; I need reasons to stick with Brawl and I'm not getting many. ._.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
And as for the fists of fury I would not recommend it, its very punishable. Sometimes I do it by accident and my opponent will DI away from me and then FSmash me. This happens when im just waiting for the punches to end.
I disagree wholeheartedly. If you let go of A AS SOON AS the punches start (or even a smidge before) there is no amount of DI that can get them out and attacking before you stop. You have ample time to then shield, spot dodge, roll, jump, and sometimes even get an Ftilt/Falcon Kick/Raptor Boost in.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
I'll see what I can figure out and then let you know. However I'm not sure how much I can contribute here. I'm slowly being pulled away from Brawl and back to Melee. It's a really tough choice for me T_T;; And Falcon being good in Melee doesn't help me stay with Brawl either. <.<;; I need reasons to stick with Brawl and I'm not getting many. ._.
If you revel in the comboability that Melee offers, there's very little Brawl can do to fulfill that. If you prefer to play Melee, play Melee. Don't feel like you need to play Brawl. Plus, Brawl is fairly easy, from a technical perspective, so you can learn to play both.

flash7

Smash Journeyman
I disagree wholeheartedly. If you let go of A AS SOON AS the punches start (or even a smidge before) there is no amount of DI that can get them out and attacking before you stop. You have ample time to then shield, spot dodge, roll, jump, and sometimes even get an Ftilt/Falcon Kick/Raptor Boost in.
Yeah if you only do the first set of punches I can see it being hard to counter, although I still dont like the full combo personally.

Tenki

Smash Hero
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8IOCBbBTmhQ

I just watched this video lol.

Saw some interesting moves though.
Meteor-bait: Grounded Falcon Kick leaving level > DJ side-B returning to level.
40-50% push to edge: F-throw > Falcon Kick

I thought the meteor bait was a good idea, but the push sounds pretty useful, if you can edgeguard well with Falcon :o

Discuss.

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8IOCBbBTmhQ

I just watched this video lol.

Saw some interesting moves though.
Meteor-bait: Grounded Falcon Kick leaving level > DJ side-B returning to level.
40-50% push to edge: F-throw > Falcon Kick

I thought the meteor bait was a good idea, but the push sounds pretty useful, if you can edgeguard well with Falcon :o

Discuss.
This is beautiful.
I wish I had this confidence facing a Falco. When I fight a Falco, I just freak. I don't know how to fight that guy.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
By the way you can waveland any of Falcon's aerials on slopes. I tested it. I think all of them can come out prior to the waveland as well. The only ones I'm not 100% sure on is the f-air and d-air. This works REALLY well on the rock on Pirate Ship.

Same thing with Marth, too. The only aerial I've found that doesn't work so far are any swordplant aerials, and for obvious reasons.

Top Bottom