• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social All Range Mode!

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
Okay yeah this set is really just starting to upset me now.

Getting destroyed that badly in front a huge crowd when alone in a different country? Bad enough.
Having clips of it made and published before top 8 even finishes? That's pretty damn bad.
Getting shoutouts specifically for being destroyed? Pretty disrespectful but I just need to git gud and body him next time.
Now there's a goddamn video of Willz destroying me and then zooming in on my face. Like... Jesus. Please. It's just ****ing annoying by now. I lost. Hard. Okay. Pretty sick and tired of being beaten up and then everyone laughing at it by now =/

Foster J.

Smash Ace
Sadly the salt is something that's been fuelling the fighting game community the past years.

And no one can really blame you for losing against a good Falcon player now that we can't kill confirm him for **** while he keeps styling on Fox with a jab that'll kill you and multiple throw options.

But you probably had some jittering going, I do that too during pools all the time, but yeah it's tough being in the limelight, but at least it's only 5 minutes of fame in that regard, sure some will mention it every now and then, but then you just laugh at it.

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
Ended up 5th at VSF. Really happy with the placement but, uh, please don't watch my Loser's game against Willz. To say he got in my head is just... I had an easier time against Miller than I did against him. I couldn't touch him and the crowd was so loud, he taunted so much and BLARGH. Got some great friendlies in with Miller's Luigi, JChild's Ness and so on. Ness feels really hard without jabs, though D:

And yeah Dash Attack is mad broke. Ftilt can be really unsafe when used in succession, would generally just use it sparingly as a mixup. I barely used it this weekend so meh.
gj on 5th dude and yeah i heard about the willz thing. Willz will be Willz, can only learn from it and do better next time :)

Yeah ness is really hard now, i think ness wins but need to play a top ness like FOW or Bart from Holland

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
Thanks at any rate guys. Need to train and make sure it'll never happen again is all.

I've found spacing Bairs against Ness to be good at KO % as he can't punish that oos but the dude's so short that we can't really abuse the autocancel window.

Chalice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tenkenjin
I'm trying to figure out how some Fox players manage to do those Bairs consistently while doing their movements and jumps on stage. From what I gather, you run forward, pivot, then jump.

Any tips for performing Bairs smoothly?

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
You ever have one of those days where you feel like the world's worst Fox main?

Chalice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tenkenjin
When I'm still learning how to improve yeah

I'm trying to figure out how some Fox players manage to do those Bairs consistently while doing their movements and jumps on stage. From what I gather, you run forward, pivot, then jump.

Any tips for performing Bairs smoothly?
No tips on this?

Rhus

We're going top speed!
Fox is such a precision based character that fumbling means you take so much punishment. It can be really disheartening to be honest.

@ Chalice Chalice

Any problem you are having in particular? Fox's Bair has a forgiving autocancel window relative to his Uair. I guess the biggest thing to remember is spacing it is important and learning it's range. Fox's air control isn't awful, and you can still reach a decent distance with it while retreating slightly to avoid non tether grabs on shield hit.

Is it the execution or the application you are having trouble with?

Last edited:

Chalice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tenkenjin
Both. If there's a like a video showcasing this well that'd be great. I see it mostly when I fight good Fox's on FG

Last edited:

BradLeeTee

Smash Cadet
Got a question, so I was playing around with Fox today in training mode and hit toon link with the first weak hit of the grounded UAir straight into an UTilt and it actually registered as a true combo. I'm so fkin confused about it because it didnt work the next 100 times I tried it, can anyone explain what happened?

Last edited:

Foster J.

Smash Ace
THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS

Got a question, so I was playing around with Fox today in training mode and hit toon link with the first weak hit of the grounded UAir straight into an UTilt and it actually registered as a true combo. I'm so fkin confused about it because it didnt work the next 100 times I tried it, can anyone explain what happened?
Must have been at high percent if the first hit had enough hitstun for you to Utilt afterwards as a true combo?

BradLeeTee

Smash Cadet
Must have been at high percent if the first hit had enough hitstun for you to Utilt afterwards as a true combo?
Sry forgot to mention wut percent this was at but I can confirm it wasnt the case, when I pulled it off it was only at 30%. Dw about it tho since it's difficulty to pull off is going to make this tech useless

Foster J.

Smash Ace
Sry forgot to mention wut percent this was at but I can confirm it wasnt the case, when I pulled it off it was only at 30%. Dw about it tho since it's difficulty to pull off is going to make this tech useless
Then I can only think of you hitting the 1st hit while being in the auto cancel window to land and do a Utilt. Lmao moment of frame perfect

Viewtiful Rain

Smash Cadet
NNID
RainAensland
3DS FC
4253-4551-9145
Does anybody miss Wolf in Smash? I would always pick Fox and my friend picked Wolf, eventually we started using each other's main as our sub in smash because we caught on to their strengths. Just sharing a good memory with everybody

Rhus

We're going top speed!
Yeah I used Wolf as a pocket in Brawl and co-mained him with Fox in PM.

I hope he comes back, but I already play like four characters so that's probably not going to be good for me lol

Foster J.

Smash Ace
Having trouble with lil mac, i need advice
There's really only perfect shielding in that MU if you ask me, and then try to juggle him with Utilt or throws.
Mashing Jab can help I guess, but you want to Illusion as a mixup if he's cornering you, just remember to jump above Dsmash height.
And lots of Nairs when he's aerial cause it's common that Mac Mains are air dodging a lot when "airborne"

That's how I deal with him at least.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
An interesting varient of a salty ditto I see on For Glory is a salty clone fight. Whenever I whup someone, they'll switch to Falco (and then leave when I whup their Falco). This happens to me frequently and a lot more often than actual Fox dittos. I though it was interesting and I was wondering if anyone else who frequents FG experiences this.

(I'm just assuming that it's supposed to be a salty spacie match; for all I know, people just like fighting Fox with Falco)

Last edited:

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
An interesting varient of a salty ditto I see on For Glory is a salty clone fight. Whenever I whup someone, they'll switch to Falco (and then leave when I whup their Falco). This happens to me frequently and a lot more often than actual Fox dittos. I though it was interesting and I was wondering if anyone else who frequents FG experiences this.

(I'm just assuming that it's supposed to be a salty spacie match; for all I know, people just like fighting Fox with Falco)
Now I am putting more time back into Fox, I've been noticing it a lot more.

Truth be told I notice this a lot on FG - I'll play Roy against X non-FE character, and 2nd game they'll bust out either Marth/Lucina/Roy (though there was a run where I had 8 different people run Jiggs against me lol). Then when on Fox I'll see a good few people go Falco, but not Fox.

Foster J.

Smash Ace
In case any of you haven't seen biaSAM's newest video he for some reason puts Fox in 4th. Man Larry Lurr must have scarred him for lyfe.

ANd the reason for this? None other than @DEHF

Last edited:

Kofeezy

Smash Rookie
In case any of you haven't seen biaSAM's newest video he for some reason puts Fox in 4th. Man Larry Lurr must have scarred him for lyfe.

ANd the reason for this? None other than @DEHF
Hard to agree with him being 4th, with the loss of the jab combo, I see him out of the top 10 as of patch 1.10, people don't seem to understand how many options it set up for Fox in the neutral. I'd throw him somewhere around 11th to 15th best in the game though.

Kofeezy

Smash Rookie
Okay yeah this set is really just starting to upset me now.

Getting destroyed that badly in front a huge crowd when alone in a different country? Bad enough.
Having clips of it made and published before top 8 even finishes? That's pretty damn bad.
Getting shoutouts specifically for being destroyed? Pretty disrespectful but I just need to git gud and body him next time.
Now there's a goddamn video of Willz destroying me and then zooming in on my face. Like... Jesus. Please. It's just ****ing annoying by now. I lost. Hard. Okay. Pretty sick and tired of being beaten up and then everyone laughing at it by now =/
Hey man, I just saw the match. You played well, but Falcon's jab straight up stuffs Fox's options incredibly well, there's not much else you could have done apart from laser camp. I know, the same thing happened to me this weekend at my local. I'm not sure Fox can beat Falcon anymore if Falcon plays optimally.

Foster J.

Smash Ace
I do think it's in Falcon's favour but it's not unsalvagable by any means. I'll probably rewatch the set soon and then wreck him next time.
It's like when Space Dong beta Yoh, just one slip can give us the kill setup / them slipping.
But honestly it feels like when you know how to play against him, Fox doesn't get a lot of options.

Kofeezy

Smash Rookie
It's like when Space Dong beta Yoh, just one slip can give us the kill setup / them slipping.
But honestly it feels like when you know how to play against him, Fox doesn't get a lot of options.
Agreed, I feel like you have to slow the game down heavily to combat Falcon with Fox because all they have to do is panic jab to throw off any approach you try which is kinda bs. At least when we had the jab combo, things were a little more fair. Either way, I don't go Fox against Falcon anymore, I usually turn to Roy or Pit and that gets the job done.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Ever since the patch, I've been using Wario a lot more lately. I actually think that Wario has a slight advantage against Rosalina and Luigi, and his mu is better vs ROB.

I'm still getting used to this Fox's new jab, I've been getting better at not doing the U-smash or grab follow up. I think the only benefit we got was with the rapid jab being better vs Sheik, Falcon, and Yoshi.

Also, I found a new avatar. Never been happier to be a photographer and a Fox main.
ProfilePic6.jpg

Foster J.

Smash Ace
Ever since the patch, I've been using Wario a lot more lately. I actually think that Wario has a slight advantage against Rosalina and Luigi, and his mu is better vs ROB.

I'm still getting used to this Fox's new jab, I've been getting better at not doing the U-smash or grab follow up. I think the only benefit we got was with the rapid jab being better vs Sheik, Falcon, and Yoshi.

Also, I found a new avatar. Never been happier to be a photographer and a Fox main.
And even against those characters, they'd get jablock'd at higher percentages.
Honestly not a fan, but I'll deal with it. But at least Larry is right, we have a setup that works on all characters now, but the extra frames added to Jab 2 makes the timing different to get the JC / Running Usmash to finish them off

M@v

Subarashii!
ESAM is not far off the mark to be honest. I actually think Fox is 5th right now, and I thought he was before the patch too. If anything, this patch was actually a buff overall. Yeah, matchups where we could jab lock someone hard are now worse (IE Ness, Robin, Lucario, ETC), but we also gained better matchups vs several characters, in particular many top tiers. The new hitbox that sucks victims in on the first kick prevents anyone from getting out of it now unless you hold it too long. That's right, no more luigi or yoshi nairs, sheik shenanigans, mario upbs, etc. Its a guaranteed 10% or so, depending how long you hold the jab. You also already know about jab jab upsmash now, which is huge. Laser end lag buff makes it easier and more forgiving to laser camp without getting punished. Lastly, Im finally finding uses for the shine buff, whether its to straight up gimp characters by going after them in places i'd Sd with nair, hitting them to force them to recovery a certain way so i can bair them, just getting free offstage damage, or stage spiking with shines; it actually has helped his offstage game a lot. I still wouldn't call his offstage game first class, but its a definite improvement; I have actual reasons to go off after opponents now.

Last edited:

Foster J.

Smash Ace
We gotta get Larry there!

Help I keep losing to spin dash from Sonic I have no idea how to deal with it.
Probably a good idea to play with sound so you can hear when he uses it, but spacing is required in that MU, like retreating Nairs into landing Ftilts might be a good idea.

Last edited:

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
GOT FOURTH AGAIN AT A TOURNEY I'M A GOD

Right lads so falling Uair is godlike, it covers so many options - even if they go offstage. You may be saying "but Skarfelt! Offstage Uair is unsafe because we get edgeguarded!" You're probably right but if you Up B a little bit diagonally from the ledge, you can autocancel it with correct spacing and holding down past the ledge. Double jump fast fall Uair lets you space this fairly well and there are few characters who can respond to you quickly enough.

Foxtrot forward PP forwards ftilt mixed up with PP backwards ftilt gives you unreal coverage in the neutral that forces sidesteps and shields - both of which you can prepare for and easily just foxtrot JC Up Smash, grab, Dair, whatever. I think PP Ftilt is an incredible safe way of pressuring your opponent while simultaneously conditioning them to play your game. I wouldn't say you should spam it in the neutral or something but it's another mixup option.

Shoutouts to Colgate for this one, if you Up B next to the ledge, you cover like every buffered getup option. Jump/attack/regular get up are covered by your Up B channel and if they roll, you just aim it to the side. Of course this has to be a mixup thing as well cuz they can just, y'know, hang on the ledge. I think it's more useful at early % as well as it isn't killing at late % like your other options could.

#trademarkpending SKAR DASHING IS THE MAD NEW TECH where you Side B to ledge trump from on-stage and yeah that's it I'm not really calling it Skar Dashing I lied. If you B-Reverse Side B as you run off Battlefield platforms, you'll always land on the ledge. I have images of this being sick for ledge trumps but I haven't actually done it in a proper game yet.

Basically I got a new controller which is super easy to PP on and I joined the c-stick on attack master race. Everything feels soooo much easier on this controller, really confident in how much I can improve with tighter movement.

I give no confirmations on any of the **** I've said actually working that well but I feel like option coverage is the way forward for Fox. Play patient, pressure shields in the neutral to force bad options then punish with a light option which goes into another light option and so on. I feel like too many Foxes are going for the hardest punish and the hardest read at every available opportunity which is making us die way too early - we have to adjust our game plan for our weaknesses too rather than just whining about how easily we die, get combo'd and so on.

sorry for long post kbai

Foster J.

Smash Ace
Starfox Zero - A reboot of the series starting the story from scratch just 7 more years till the continuation probably!
Also amiibo support and the Falco amiibo is released on the same date.

Hyperino! Sure hope we see Wolf

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
Anybody else like the new box art cover? Oh I can't wait for this game.

View attachment 69901
This box art is much better! Love it!
Starfox Zero - A reboot of the series starting the story from scratch just 7 more years till the continuation probably!
Also amiibo support and the Falco amiibo is released on the same date.

Hyperino! Sure hope we see Wolf
I believe it was confirmed that Zero isn't a retcon. (Thanks goodness...)

And same here. :wolf:

Last edited:
Top Bottom