• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

All newcomers in SSBU ranked by how surprising they were

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
1.:ultrichter:
2.:ultsimon:
3.:ultkrool:
4.Isabelle (dosen’t have emoji
5.:ultdarksamus:
6.:ultridley:
7.:ultchrom:

So, they were all very surprising but I think I was most surprised with Richter because of how obscure he is. I was also surprised more on Dark Samus because it seemed like Nintendo had made enough Metroid characters.

User Name String

Smash Apprentice
My equivalent would be:

1. Richter
2. Dark Samus
3. Ridley
4. K Rool
5. Simon
6. Chrom
7. Daisy
8. Isabelle
9. Inklings
Richter is always going to be the strangest considering other 3rd party newcomers. Isabelle was an inevitability for smash as a series mascot.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
1. Richter: Giving a third party franchise 2 reps was unprecedented
2. Daisy: She is B-list Mario character who has barely any notable appearances outside of spinoffs
3. K Rool: He hasn't appeared outside of cameos in a decade.
4. Ridley: Sakurai said he couldn't implement him properly.
5, Isabelle: While not that surprising, everyone thought she was going to be an echo. It was shocking that she turned out to be a semi-clone.
6. Chrom: He was an obvious Echo Fighter.
7. Dark Samus: She was also an obvious Echo Fighter.
8. Simon: He was leaked by a reputable source.
9. Inklings: They represent a hot new Nintendo IP. They had to be in.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
2.:ultsimon:
3.:ultkrool:
4.Isabelle (dosen’t have emoji
5.:ultdarksamus:
6.:ultridley:
7.:ultchrom:

So, they were all very surprising but I think I was most surprised with Richter because of how obscure he is. I was also surprised more on Dark Samus because it seemed like Nintendo had made enough Metroid characters.
Oh, I forgot about :ultdaisy: and:ultinkling:.
I guess Inkling is the least surprising and Daisy is above Chron

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Richter broke my preconceived notion that no third party series could get more than one character. Everyone was expecting Simon due to the leaks. But nobody expected Richter.

2.:ultvillager:( Isabel )
To be quite honest I did expect her to be in the game, but I expected her to be an echo fighter, and I certainly did not expect her to get her own trailer. I thought there was just no way she could generate much hype at all after those blood pumping trailers for the other newcomers... in a way I was right because her Trailer was really slow paced and filled with talking... and tbh I feel the same way about Bandana Waddle Dee, but now I don't think him getting a trailer would be surprising if I wasn't so sure he wasn't going to make it in the base game.

3.:ultdaisy:
Look, to me, Daisy is just as much of an unimportant character as Waluigi. So I didn't understand the choice. She doesn't particularly make sense to be a Peach echo either since her kingdom is not fullof Toads, nor is she known for plucking turnips. I still think it's weird that she's playable.
4.:ultridley:
I was so used to Ridley getting the shaft by this point that I didn't think it could happen, though I still had hope.
5.:ultkrool:
After Ridley was revealed, I was praying he would be next, but I still had low expectations. I thought big bad Miyamoto would put a stop to any DK characters he didn't approve of getting recognition, especially after that Nintendo Power Podcast episode where one of the co-hosts got cut off when they started to talk about Kremlings.
6.:ultdarksamus:
Echo fighters made it obvious.
7.:ultsimon:
He's only this low because he leaked, but honestly, I figured he'd get into Smash some day. Everyone who knows their Nintendo history had the same reaction I did.... "if a Konami character got in, Simon would make more sense than Snake"
8.:ultchrom:
There was no way he'd be left out after Echo fighters were introduced and the teasing from the last game's trailer.
9.:ultinkling:
There was zero chance of this smash hit new IP not featuring, especially with the ballot coming out around the time Splatoon launched.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
1. Ridley - Completely floored me. I went from campaigning for him in Sm4sh to thinking he had zero chance.
2. Richter - Surprising because no one at all expected him, but falls short of #1 for the simple shock value of that one
3. King K. Rool - One of the most requested anticipated characters after E3's reveals, but was still an incredible surprise
4. Daisy - No one expected her as we had no idea what echoes were at that point
5. Dark Samus - One of my predictions post-E3, was still surprising to see it come true.
6. Chrom - Another post-E3 echo candidate. Not seeing Robin's FS and Ike's missing alt made this obvious
7. Simon - Leaked. Still a good reveal.
8. Isabelle - Leaked.
9. Inkling - Was far and away the most obvious Ultimate newcomer

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
1. Isabelle - Didn't expect her at all. I was expecting one of the more big-shots like Geno or Skull Kid or Banjo, but I'm still glad that she's in.
2. Richter - I expected Simon because of the Castlevania leaks, but Richter was unexpected.
3. Dark Samus - I don't know about Dark Samus. I didn't really imagine it being a fighter.
4. Chrom - Since he already part of Robin's Pair Up, I thought he had little to no chance of becoming his own character.
5. Daisy - Rosalina's always overshadowed Daisy since her debut, so I just figured Daisy would just be left in the dust.
6. Inkling - Splatoon did pretty well in reception, so it wasn't too surprising that they'd make it in to Smash.
7. Simon - He'd be pretty high up there if it wasn't for the accidental leak.
8. King K. Rool - After Ridley got in, it was pretty clear that they were going to add more well-requested characters.
9. Ridley - They'd have to add him in eventually. They've been asking for him for years, so I wasn't surprised at all that Sakurai gave in and added him in.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
:ultridley:: I didn’t believe Sakurai, the man, the myth, the legend, had it in him to rescale Ridley after everything that happened in Brawl and Smash 4. It seemed like he just really had it out for Ridley,
:ultdaisy:: She hadn’t been an alt in agame where Dark Pit was thrown in, at that point she just seemed like someone he didn’t want to add at all.
:ultdarksamus:: Dark Samus is a character I know nothing about outside of her AT and fan base. Because of her AT, I assumed she didn’t really have Samuses abilities, so I didn’t know they’d be able to make an echo out of her.
:ultchrom:: He was popular? I know Awakening was popular, but I remember him being called the most boring choice and Robin/Lucina having more positive reception. I have to chalk it up to Japan and Sakurai personally loving FE.
:ultrichter:: “Simon should have other Belmont’s as alternates.” I was always hearing this from castlevania fans anytime he was discussed. I don’t know all the Belmonts or what they do in their games, so I didn’t know exactly how this would turn out, but I get what the fans meant.
Isabelle: I was a little more than 50/50 on her chances. She was an easy way to appeal to a large fan base considering she could be based on Villager. She was an AT last time, so it was possible she would be reused despite her popularity.
:ultkrool:: I felt he was coming after the Mii Costume last game. And after Ridley was revealed, he was a lock.
:ultsimon:: After Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Ryu, he was the most obvious 3rd party choice.
:ultinkling:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
:ultrichter:: I didn't even know who Richter was until it was explained to me by Sakurai in the August Direct, so no, I can't say I expected him, haha.
:ultridley:: After Sakurai officially joined the "too big" bandwagon, I pretty much gave up on ever seeing Ridley as a playable character in Smash. After all, if the developer of the game disregards the character for being both a technical and artistic nightmare, then there isn't really any room for hope. Well, lo and behold, he showed up, and considering the adversity the character has undergone for the past two decades in the realm of Smash speculation, watching the reveal trailer in real life felt almost surreal.
:ultdaisy:: I never considered Daisy a legitimate contender for Smash, but then again, I didn't know Sakurai was going to make a big deal out of clone characters, haha. That being said, yes, I was surprised.
:ultdarksamus:: By the time we got to the August Direct, I had a hunch that Ultimate would be delivering the fan-favorite requests and whatnot. That hunch is named "Ridley", and by the time he was announced, anything seemed possible. Still, I never saw Dark Samus coming, as I thought Sakurai would take satisfaction in knowing that people would stop yelling at him about Ridley and call it a day. But no, he went the extra mile and gave us Dark Samus, too.
:ultsimon:: As much as I wanted to deny it, the return of Snake, the Bomberman AT, and Vergeben planted the thought in my mind that Simon would be coming to Smash. Still, seeing him in action surprised me a bit.
:ultkrool:: Again, despite being a character that almost seemed impossible, by the time we got to the Smash Direct, and both Ridley and Dark Samus had been revealed, any hurdles that would get in the way of K. Rool already seemed irrelevant. Sure, actually seeing him was something else, but it didn't surprise me half as much as Ridley.
:ultchrom:: Smash has been on an apparent Fire Emblem binge, and Sakurai did everything in his power to let us know that he really wanted to make Chrom playable in Smash 4. When he was revealed, I just sort of smirked and shook my head, but I was not surprised by any stretch.
Isabelle: Animal Crossing is a successful and prominent Nintendo franchise, and Isabelle is its mascot, showing up all over the place to grace the masses with her cuteness and pleasant charm. It only made sense that Smash was next.
:ultinkling:: Nintendo's newest All-Star, taking the world by storm with their software, merchandise, and unintelligible concert performances. When I thought of a hypothetical new Smash (before the game was announced), the only character I had utmost confidence in was Inkling.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
:ultrichter: Never saw it coming and was the hypest character for me personally. Never even considered the possibility since Simon was always going to be the Castlevania character we got.
:ultkrool: After getting Simon in the direct I didn't know if we would see another reveal but when another one started I didn't expect to be K Rool's. Sure he was pretty likely given his popularity but I had no idea he was happening right then. Plus his trailer was super amazing.
:ultdarksamus:/:ultchrom:/:ultdaisy: These are all tied because while I didn't expect them just by being echoes the most surprise they elicit from me is "oh neat"
:ultridley:With all the special attention Sakurai gave to the dragon in the years before Ultimate I knew Ridley was inevitable. He was coming, of that, I had no doubt. It didn't mean he would necessarily have been in Ultimate but as soon as I saw him I just said "figures"
:ultinkling:The only thing less surprising than Ridley joining was the IC's and these guys. There's a reason Sakurai tied them into revealing Smash for the Switch and that's literally everyone knew they would be joining this game.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Richter broke my preconceived notion that no third party series could get more than one character. Everyone was expecting Simon due to the leaks. But nobody expected Richter.

2.:ultvillager:( Isabel )
To be quite honest I did expect her to be in the game, but I expected her to be an echo fighter, and I certainly did not expect her to get her own trailer. I thought there was just no way she could generate much hype at all after those blood pumping trailers for the other newcomers... in a way I was right because her Trailer was really slow paced and filled with talking... and tbh I feel the same way about Bandana Waddle Dee, but now I don't think him getting a trailer would be surprising if I wasn't so sure he wasn't going to make it in the base game.

3.:ultdaisy:
Look, to me, Daisy is just as much of an unimportant character as Waluigi. So I didn't understand the choice. She doesn't particularly make sense to be a Peach echo either since her kingdom is not fullof Toads, nor is she known for plucking turnips. I still think it's weird that she's playable.
4.:ultridley:
I was so used to Ridley getting the shaft by this point that I didn't think it could happen, though I still had hope.
5.:ultkrool:
After Ridley was revealed, I was praying he would be next, but I still had low expectations. I thought big bad Miyamoto would put a stop to any DK characters he didn't approve of getting recognition, especially after that Nintendo Power Podcast episode where one of the co-hosts got cut off when they started to talk about Kremlings.
6.:ultdarksamus:
Echo fighters made it obvious.
7.:ultsimon:
He's only this low because he leaked, but honestly, I figured he'd get into Smash some day. Everyone who knows their Nintendo history had the same reaction I did.... "if a Konami character got in, Simon would make more sense than Snake"
8.:ultchrom:
There was no way he'd be left out after Echo fighters were introduced and the teasing from the last game's trailer.
9.:ultinkling:
There was zero chance of this smash hit new IP not featuring, especially with the ballot coming out around the time Splatoon launched.
Do you remember which episode that was when they got cut off on talking about the Kremlings?

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
No, I don't remember, I just know it was entirely focused on the DK series because of the Switch port of Tropical Freeze.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
1- :ultrichter: - I wasn't expecting Simon either, this was way more unexpected than him.
2- :ultsimon: - I knew that some people wanted him, though I didn't expect Sakurai to put him in Smash for real.
3- :ultchrom: - Really, after being excluded from Smash 4 and Corrin being added as DLC instead of him, I thought he would have had no chance anymore.
4- :ultdarksamus: - Never expected this to be a character instead of just a skin, especially after the hate surrounding Dark Pit in Smash 4.
5- :ultkrool: - I was convinced that Dixie would have got the priority, and I thought that, of K Rool and Ridley, only one of them would have made the jump.
6- :238: - (Isabelle) Kinda expected, but as an echo, not as a semiclone.
7- :ultdaisy: - Kinda expected too, she was requested a lot; a bit surprised that she isn't unique (with a moveset inspired by Mario's sports and party games).
8- :ultridley: - There is a post somewere here on Smashboards where I said Ridley and Dixie would have been the next most obvious newcomers after Inkling.
9- :ultinkling: - I was expecting the Inkling to be in Smash 5 since when I realized she/he wasn't a DLC in Smash 4.

CardStealer1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CardStealer
3DS FC
2681-0263-6525
1. :ultrichter: (Didn’t know he existed before August so yeah, he was surprising) Note2(Good to see our first Jojo’s rep)
2. :ultsimon: (Without Verge this one would’ve bliwn me away)
3. :ultridley: (After that mess 4 years ago, I locked the part of me that could see Ridley in smash deep down)
4. :ultdaisy: (Daisy was surprising because no one expected echoes, or at least I didn’t)
5. :ultchrom: (Seems obvious but I still find it crazy that he got in after being rejected feom smash4)
6. :ultdarksamus: ( Most obvious Echo)
7.:ultkrool:( I made a one sided bet with my friends, No doubt in my mind that this fit kroc was joining.)
8. Isabelle (Obvious, only question was clone or not)
9.:ultinkling: (Come on)

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
:ultrichter:

The only character that I actually never saw coming.

The rest of them were all very good picks, either obvious clones that would satisfy longtime fan demand like Daisy, Dark Samus and Chrom, relevant bigshots like Inkling and Isabelle, or the really classic requests like Ridley and K Rool.

I'll add that Isabelle as a semi-clone is definitely a surprise.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
1. :ultridley: - Discounting the leak, I never thought Ridley would happen, at least not with Sakurai in charge. Even with the leak I couldn't really believe it.
2. :ultrichter: - I definitely believed we'd see 3rd party echoes, but it was still a massive surprise. Didn't even know Richter by name, just knew him as the blue Belmont.
3. :ultsimon: - Again, discounting the leak I hadn't even given the possibility much thought. Makes so much sense in hindsight though.
4. :ultdaisy: - Without knowing of the Echo Fighter concept this was very unlikely imo. Wouldn't have been as outlandish a prediction otherwise.
5.:ultchrom: - I did sort of expect him at that point, but I wasn't too sure as I thought he maybe didn't fit that well as an Ike echo. Turns out they just found a middle way, which was very surprising.
6.:ultdarksamus: - I hoped, I sort of expected, and I got.
7.:ultkrool: - After Ridley I was very confident in his chances, only surprise was that he was revealed so early.
8. Isabelle - I was predicting her even before E3, she just made sense in every way.
9. :ultinkling: - No comment necessary.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
1. :ultrichter: Yeah, by far. While I always figured third party echoes could happen, I sure as hell didn't predict one for a third party newcomer, let alone Simon. I remember just being all "WHAT!" at his splash title. Crazy times. Requests for him were basically nonexistent when the Castlevania fans were focused purely on Simon, which is sorta funny considering that Richter is the most popular of the Belmonts, despite Simon being the logical choice.

2. :ultdaisy: The idea of clone characters as fan favorites had never really been done before, so Daisy took me by complete surprise. I agree that if, say, the first echo they introduced was Chrom, then I'd definitely be expecting Daisy. But man, that threw me for a loop. god damn memoryman

3. :ultridley: I mean, yeah, the leak, I basically wasn't expecting Ridley until the leak. After the Smash 4 interview, I more or less threw the towel in on Ridley and moved on. But I did consider the possibility that Sakurai would have to revisit Ridley again simply because Ridley was one of the few candidates left for a character that would cause the Smash fanbase to erupt with hype, especially at E3. I definitely had my reservations but Verge was getting all sorts of things correct at E3... and once I saw the space station, I knew what was about to happen, even if I didn't want to fully believe until the splash screen. What a ride.

4/5. :ultdarksamus::ultchrom: The biggest surprise Dark Samus and Chrom brought is I thought there would be less echoes than we seem to be getting. I considered both of them basically equal, but initially didn't have them on my echo prediction list since I was thinking Shadow and Octoling at the time. Both had things in their favor, with their non-playable roles unaccounted for and Samus/Ike missing the corresponding alts, so neither inclusion was surprising, exactly... but not really expected either.

6. Isabelle: I wasn't sure if Isabelle might return as an AT or not, but after the 8.8 Direct with the Kapp'n appearance, I basically assumed she was in the game as a fighter, the question was echo or unique. I leaned towards echo myself... the answer turned out to be neither, really. Pretty interesting how things turned out there.

7. :ultkrool: I was hopeful but unsure how K. Rool stood when the game was announced. We had no real guarantee at the time the ballot was going to be used, even though it seemed too logical it would be. With Ridley's confirmation I immediately grew more optimistic, and following that up with the confirmation that the design document was dated December 2015, and the datamine revealing the true nature of Bayonetta's inclusion... I just couldn't see him missing out. Verge's "no new DK reps" BS was the first time I genuinely had doubt, but I hoped for the best. Genuinely, absolutely did not expect him to be revealed alongside Simon, right after E3, however. That is by far the biggest shock of it all. And I couldn't be happier.

8. :ultsimon: Simon not only got leaked by Verge, but by Nintendo themselves. Oi. But even if Simon wasn't leaked by Verge, the presence of Konami in the game, with a Bomberman Assist Trophy, would definitely raise my eyebrow, since he was really the only other Konami character in the running. Reading the interview where Sakurai said he considered Castlevania influential on him as a game designer, I pretty much assumed he'd show up. Beforehand I had some doubts as I wondered if Simon was really an iconic character in his own right (despite Castlevania being an iconic series), but it seems like Sakurai answered that question for me, in the best way possible. (In a leakless reality, I guess he would be more expected than Ridley but not as much as Isabelle.)

9. :ultinkling: If they weren't in this game, Sakurai would have failed his most basic mission. Inkling, K. Rool, and Ridley were the big 3 fish to fry for Smash 5.

Why don't we have the Isabelle stock icon yet...?

Last edited:

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
1. :ultrichter: (completely surprised after Simon)
2. :ultridley:(didn't think it could happen)
3. :ultkrool: (more likely after Ridley, still a big suprise)
4. :ultdaisy::ultchrom::ultdarksamus: (did not expect them, but made sense to me)

5. :ultsimon: (leaked)
6. Isabelle (leaked)
7. :ultinkling: (the surprising thing about the reveal was a new Smash, not the character)

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
*looks at Ganondorf, Falco, Wolf, Toon Link, Dark Pit and Lucina* ...I mean...
Lucina I'll give you, but the rest of those characters weren't added because they were fan favorites (maybe Ganondorf, but it just seems like he was tossed in last minute anyway), especially Dark Pit, one of the most hated Smash reveals in history. Characters like Falco and Wolf were not being clamored for by any means (at least within any sort of capacity of Smash speculation that existed in those early days), and while Toon Link was sorta anticipated, he wasn't really a "fan favorite." Daisy was a character actively requested on the ballot, and quite numerously, if our polling data is even remotely accurate.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Lucina I'll give you, but the rest of those characters weren't added because they were fan favorites (maybe Ganondorf, but it just seems like he was tossed in last minute anyway), especially Dark Pit, one of the most hated Smash reveals in history. Characters like Falco and Wolf were not being clamored for by any means (at least within any sort of capacity of Smash speculation that existed in those early days), and while Toon Link was sorta anticipated, he wasn't really a "fan favorite." Daisy was a character actively requested on the ballot, and quite numerously, if our polling data is even remotely accurate.
Oh, you mean in Smash fandom...

Still both Ganondorf and Wolf were highly requested characters, Sakurai said that much while explaining their inclusion. Dark Pit and Falco wasn't wanted THAT much, but they were important and well liked characters in their franchises. Toon Link is probably the most popular Link in Japan.

I don't believe Daisy and Lucina are the only requested clones before others came.

Squirtle/Mario guy

Smash Journeyman
:ultrichter: cause idk who he was, but he was added to appeal to Japanese fans
:ultridley:too big says Sakurai, 4 years later. Ridley hits the big time
:ultchrom:yay, but the surprising thing is he's an echo of Roy also he was in Robin's final smash
:ultdaisy:i now hate Daisy for her replacing Waluigi but other than that i love Smash Ultimate
Isabelle (leaked by Vergeben also i needed Isabelle)
:ultkrool:Obviously not leaked but high demands
:ultsimon:(also leaked but it was obvious due to high demands)
:ultinkling:duh

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
:ultrichter: cause idk who he was, but he was added to appeal to Japanese fans
:ultridley:too big says Sakurai, 4 years later. Ridley hits the big time
:ultchrom:yay, but the surprising thing is he's an echo of Roy also he was in Robin's final smash
:ultdaisy:i now hate Daisy for her replacing Waluigi but other than that i love Smash Ultimate
Isabelle (leaked by Vergeben also i needed Isabelle)
:ultkrool:Obviously not leaked but high demands
:ultsimon:(also leaked but it was obvious due to high demands)
:ultinkling:duh
Unless you want Waluigi as a clone of Peach, Daisy didn't replaced him. He's still an Assist Trophy.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
1. :ultrichter: I knew who he was before, but I never imagined him getting into Smash...
2. :ultdaisy: I think it's because I thought Waluigi was getting in first
3. :ultdarksamus: *shrugs*
4. :ultisabelle: Maybe it's the revelation that she's not an echo...
5. :ultkrool: It's HOW SOON he was revealed that surprised me.
6. :ultchrom: no comment
7. :ultridley: Now we're getting into safe predictions here...
8. :ultsimon: The leak ruined it...
9. :ultinkling: ****ing MARIO was a more surprising reveal...

Top Bottom