• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AlbertaSmash

David is way too cool to be seen with you in public

• yes

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Its true. I am way too cool to be seen with you in public.

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters

kithkin

Smash Champion
Before Calgary quit life everyone here played Ike.

Chad and Alex both mained him originally, and EVERYONE seconded him.

But now that everyone quit its a little different.

Alex is the only Ike left, and hes **** good.

kithkin

Smash Champion
Me and Alex spent a session just figuring out which button to press to make Ike say "I fight for my friends" when he wins.

Too good.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
That thread is amazing. Read all 40-some-odd pages and it spells out very clearly what is wrong with the emerging Brawl community and their ignorance of Melee's domination.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I only read like 10 pages, then i got sick of that stupid debate that wasn't even needed. That noob was wrong
and yet it went on forever! But seriously I love that idea, and I don't think people are too uptight for the idea, well at least the people who actually wanna play competitive. The only people that matter in that discussion is tourny goers, and I think the majority would love to see brawl "enhanced"

kithkin

Smash Champion
oh no, I dont mean people are too uptight for the idea.

I mean people are too uptight about competitive, I mean, yeah yeah yeah, I get your point, but IMO I just like the game. Can I just play the game as it is?

People are too uptight about it being perfectly their way

Stevo

Smash Champion
I love playing on temple with items on in melee, just like i love playing brawl.... but I also love playing smash for its competetivenessity. As long as it is done right, this could be very good for the competetive smash community.

Boo on online tournaments anyway.....

I only see this as a potential good thing.

FalseFalco

Smash Master
This seems too good to be true.

First of all, you shouldn't have to modify a game to the extent that this is suggesting. If such a modification is necessary for competitive play, it shouldn't be played competitive at all. Competitive Brawl WILL be different than Melee, theres no reason to make them similar. Removing tripping is an exception because absolutely noone likes a variable like that.

Second, anyone who isn't familiar already with competitive Melee will not see the reasoning behind "improving" Brawl. If some fresh player practices 8 years of their life on Brawl and goes to a tournament where the physics are all f'ed up they're not going to understand why. These fresh new players will account for MOST of the competitive brawl community so the majority will probably not go with it.

Third, if theres a split in players playing 2 different versions of brawl, who's gonna be the best? the top 2 from each will both be saying "come play my version" and it will make a mockery of the smash community.

I do admit though that if, somehow, this is accepted world-wide the world will be a better place.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Well, I was a fool to read the entire thread because I've never seen so many nub Brawl idiots get owned so hard by real Melee players in so few words. I don't usually venture out of our microcosm here to face the onslaught of crap in the main stream of SmashBoards, but what a headache... It makes me WANT a split in the community so we don't have to put up with that kind of attitude from players who have no concept of what a competitive game is--which, as they clearly pointed out to deaf ears, is a game where the better player WINS.

And although nobody's outright trashing Brawl, they do say it's fun but boring and amidst all that incomprehensible garbage from the masses, there are some strong and passionate words that speak very well for Melee's golden age, which has all come to screeching halt with this *******ization of a beautiful game. Reading it reminds me that as a competitive player, Brawl is not what you want--of course, any game can be competitive, but if you're a real player, you want a PUNISHMENT-oriented fighting game, not a party platformer with no hit stun so you can get away with your mistakes.

Admittedly, I was optimistic about it during the initial release period just because I know how people like to jump to conclusions about everything, but now the problems are plain as day and there is a very real divide in the community already as to what the better game is.

Melee>Brawl

spindash

Smash Ace
I've read bits and pieces of that thread too.

It's a nice idea and I'd be all for it (regardless, I have fun with Brawl competitively anyways) were it not for one glaring detail that could really do even MORE harm to what we're trying to make work.

Distributing this to all the smashers that want to compete. There's a difference between changing the rules and turning items off and banning some stages (people can get used to that if they're mature about it) and then there's ****** the final product of a game already in our grasp and throwing the professional scene into even FURTHER obscurity.

This could cause an even greater division, much more harmful then the Melee scene where people who play casually and those who play competitively are easily differentiated. If we went through with this, we'd end up with three classes.

1.) Casual
2.) Competitive
3.) Game Rapist Community

And I say that third one in a nice way and not in any form saying that anyone's a whiner or a moaner. There WOULD be no practicing for an upcoming tournament at home since everything you knew and worked hard at would be thrown out the goddamm window if it meant that a new form of AR was used to alter the game to heighten the experience and how the game plays.

Everyone would need to buy one of those. Everyone would need specific instructions on what coding you need to use to change it to EXACTLY how you would in the new competitive light. And what happens if someone comes to the tournament in their area and realize, "Oh crap. I made a mistake and didn't know that this is what we can do now." Complaints will run rampant and all kinds of hell will break loose. Do we really want to try and make three classes where, no offense, the third will be VERY minor? We wouldn't get the redemption of returning to the main MLG circuits with hacking the system to alter everything to the glory Melee ways. It wouldn't be the same nor would it really be smiled upon. A lot of other competitive video gamers from different games may frown at us and think, "Wow. They had to bend ALL the aspects of the newest game to make it good. That's sad." I don't think I could play a game in the same circle of those who want to go as low as to shut themselves away from the rest of the world filled with those who want to pursue glory in the tournament spotlight but have to hack and pump a game full of Melee steroids to do so.

As much of a nice idea as it is, the primary issue is distribution. There wouldn't be enough of it.

I just have a bad feeling about this.

I'll pray for some official update or a patch if I REALLY want to give Brawl more of an edge. Until then, I don't want any part in hacking and the whatnot in order to compete at my best of my abilities with what I have.

PS,

I like the auto-sweetspot. And it's not like they made it so that it's ALWAYS automatic. As a matter of fact I know how to bypass the edge with all characters. If you hold down (or a diagonal portion of down) as you're moving (for some who charge their recovery such as Fox, Falco, or Wolf, you do this immediately after you've launched yourself) towards the edge, you won't sweetspot and you could land on the stage instead of always snatching the edge like it was in Melee. I'm sure I'm not the only one who noticed this but I utilize this with Link often.

Anywho, I'm done. G'night.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Auto-sweetspot destroys the beauty and precision of ledgeteching. :)

The bigger picture is being missed here. Division of the community is not the issue and distribution is not the issue. It's about making a better game. It doesn't matter how large or small the community following would be. If it's a better and REAL competitive game (unlike the existing Brawl) it's those results that matter in the end, not those of a cult of party game fan boys.

And frankly, after being exposed to the attitudes of these fresh Brawl players about our desire to have a competitive game, I'm not going to lose any sleep over being "divided" from their side of the community.

spindash

Smash Ace
As it stands, it seems like a longshot in the first place.

If it ever becomes a reality though... I don't think I'd want any part of it.

Scratch that. I don't want any part of it. I don't want to rise in the ranks of a gaming community that'll only fall into obscurity. I want to play a game that doesn't need to be changed (unless otherwise altered by officials themselves).

But we're basically talking about an idea that's wishful thinking at best in my mind. So it's no real matter in the first place. *shrug* ^^

Stevo

Smash Champion
brawl frustrates me......

It really does make me realise how "Bad" of a game melee was.

Melee just lucked out that by fluke the game designers made a competetive/Deep game.

Melee was rushed... and if you remove the whole competetive aspect of smash... it was just a party game that really should not have been all that popular.

What furstrates me, is brawl is a better game, except, something is missing.

I just always have that feeling..... I have lots of fun playing against my Smash "noob" friends, but it just doesnt spark that fire in me like melee did.

Melee could have SNES graphics and I would play it, thats just how the game is.

Perhaps this will modify brawl in a way that will give it that certain spark back.

and if not.... well we all still have a fun game to play, but I will surely miss the good times going to tournaments and such with melee.

Edit: perhaps ive just played the game for too long.... it is a possibility as well for my feelings towards brawl

FalseFalco

Smash Master
Steve what your feeling is the 5 stages of grief:

* Denial (There's no way Brawl can be this bad! We'll surely find hidden techniques!)
* Anger (SAKURAIIIIIIIIII)
* Bargaining (Maybe if we mod it, it will be a better game? what do you guys think)
* Depression (I miss Melee. Nothing will ever be the same.)
* Acceptance (Well I guess I'll just learn this piece)

Nobody likes losing a loved one.

kithkin

Smash Champion
Q-Q No johns.

Seriously, why try to make a fun game more like melee, when MELEE EXISTS. play them both ***gots and shut up.

Also, I second DK for sakurai combos. too good. SAKURAIIIII!

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
brawl is missing the "rush" from melee. Basically what im saying is that brawl is missing the parts we liked best like technicality, combos, flashiness and most importantly approaches/mindgames.

Brawl is just a joke really to competitive players now seeing how its based off of camping and punishing your opponent for approaching(LOLWTF). I say we should mod brawl to our liking and make it a REAL smash game, im sure when melee 2.0 or improved brawl would come out that downloads would be available for geko usb so we wouldn't have to put in our own codes cause that would be just stupid if we had to do it ourselves.

also captain falcons theme when he wins in brawl is awesome...too bad HE NEVER WINS(/johns about no hitstun)

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
This is the most intelligent conversation we ever had in this thread.

You know, with the exception of Brad's posts

kithkin

Smash Champion
Epicancel Victor.

oh, and I dont want to bother discussing this yet AGAIN, I've done it enough times, so I just state my point then spam.

I save the serious stuff for AiB now anyways.

edit: I mean its not like the place wont "switch servers" again and everyone will miss reading posts if I were to make good ones.

Beeble

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to just make a comment on the brawl vs melee thing.

The 2D fighter community has always held the belief that they should play the best games available, not nescessarily the newest. People still play SF2 for crying out loud, and that came out, what, 17 years ago. The thing is it still retains all the elements that make it a fun and competitive game, unlike say, SF3 : 2nd impact, which came out almost a decade later. I beleive melee has this staying power because of the depth the game possesses. I think that melee will eventually be dominant amongst the competive community for this reason, even if brawl is the shiny new toy the general public goes crazy about.

I encourage everyone to play brawl; it hasn't even been out for half a year and people are declaring it not worthy of competive play. There hasn't been nearly enough development of the brawl community, and I'm sure there are many new things to discover about the game. In the end though, it isn't melee 2.0, it's a different game. Understand that, and if you don't like that, play melee 1.0.

FalseFalco

Smash Master
o-m-f-g

youre right in all your points mike, but I stopped caring about your post once you played the melee 2.0 card. Thats the fanfare of brawl scrubs; you're better than that.

Stevo

Smash Champion
MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0

We could all Play Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3 LOL.... or MARIO CART!!!!

MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0 MELEE 2.0

Top Bottom