• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AlbertaSmash

David is way too cool to be seen with you in public

• yes

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Its true. I am way too cool to be seen with you in public.

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
yeah Scott's kinda >:[ about it but his ZZS is pretty <3

Brent's Diddy is pretty awesome, and he feels pretty good about it.

Andrew uses PT cause he likes Squirtle lol

Diakonos

Smash Lord
I'm very disappointed. I can't believe Canada is defiling itself like this.

Victra, you of all people...

It's like when Snape killed Dumbledore and sent him flying out of the Astronomy Tower. Except you don't love Carl's mother, and Carl's eyes don't remind you of her.

Solaris1110

Smash Journeyman
http://www.biblelife.org/evolution.htm
this website is pretty funny to read. The author seems like he's a pretty thoughtful guy, yet alot of the things in the site make him seem stupid at the same time. I even emailed him a couple times and he replied almost instantly lol. This guy is awesome, even if he's an idiot. But hey, if you roll a dice an infinite amount of times, he could be right! oh wait...

Sraigux

Smash Journeyman
this website is pretty funny to read. The author seems like he's a pretty thoughtful guy, yet alot of the things in the site make him seem stupid at the same time. I even emailed him a couple times and he replied almost instantly lol. This guy is awesome, even if he's an idiot. But hey, if you roll a dice an infinite amount of times, he could be right! oh wait...
Religion is the oldest science (aka explaining why things happen)

It has become obsolete.

That's a generalisation, I haven't touched brawl in years

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
"Are left-wing, liberal professors mentally nuts? Well, yes. An eminent psychiatrist claims those who possess a liberal ideology are suffering from a clinical mental disorder."

LOL

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
im in calgary so paul i can probs smash today but i'll need some controllers =p

ahahah sorry manuel =p

and yeah scott i'll likely get on that sometime

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Wow that dream is ****ed up. Kinda makes me want to make a virtual reality smash game, which involves your own personal skill level to destroy the other opponent. Sounds fun. =P

You would probably see a decrease in obesity that way too! =P Since you would have to train in RL in order to compete well lol.

Diakonos

Smash Lord
You come across as rather arrogant, are you aware of that? I thought secular humanism was all for tolerance? Well, tolerance for everyone except those we consider intolerant; we certainly can't be tolerant of them.

I don't like that that fellow is whizzing curses of "false teachers" left and right. I disagree with much of what he says, and if he is speaking the truth, it certainly isn't in love.
Religion is the oldest science (aka explaining why things happen)

It has become obsolete.

That's a generalisation, I haven't touched brawl in years
That's a generalization; religion seeks to fulfill the spiritual existentialism common to much of mankind. And science, as we know it, is the systematic discovery of knowledge about the natural world.

To write religion off as obsolete is telling of the philosophical subjectivity that fuels much of the intellectual community.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Lol at religion being obsolete. It will never be obsolete, don't fool yourself. Religion still explains a lot of things better than science does, and probably ever will.

TheCresent

Smash Apprentice
Lol at religion being obsolete. It will never be obsolete, don't fool yourself. Religion still explains a lot of things better than science does, and probably ever will.
Many other books explain sci-fi just as good, maybe even better.

Solaris1110

Smash Journeyman
lol, I was trying not to sound like that and failed.

I dont disrespect what he believes but he makes himself look stupid when he writes something like this:

"Time does not make impossible things possible. As an example, a computer was programmed in an attempt to arrive at the simple 26-letter alphabet. After 35,000,000,000,000 (35 trillion) attempts it has only arrived at 14 letters correctly."

and when I emailed him about proteins and fats raising insulin, he responded
"NO! Protein and fats do NOT raise insulin levels. Those are vegetarian lies."

and when I showed him these links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulin_index
http://www.mendosa.com/insulin_index.htm

he responded:
"Wikipedia.com writes lots of nonsense. The Big Bang Theory is an example."

=/

actually though, I feel like reading the bible now for the hell heck of it.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I wonder why people need to go into religion in the first place? Maybe because they were taught to do it.. or maybe they seek something to believe in because they can't believe in their own power. God so to speak is already beside you or in you, I guess. You just have to realize the connection which normally most people don't have, I mean the connection between the mind and the heart (Love). He's always talking to you into making the best decision you can ever do.. but.. VERY often everyone else just decides to do otherwise because it's "easier" or they are just too lazy to continue.

I mean no one ever said it was easy, lolll. The path to true connection is very tough to maintain and to continue. You have to always devote yourself to it and become a greater person.

Edit: But I mean continuing on a more spiritual path following religion is admirable too.. but you have to do it right.

Imagination

Smash Apprentice
You come across as rather arrogant, are you aware of that? I thought secular humanism was all for tolerance? Well, tolerance for everyone except those we consider intolerant; we certainly can't be tolerant of them.

I don't like that that fellow is whizzing curses of "false teachers" left and right. I disagree with much of what he says, and if he is speaking the truth, it certainly isn't in love.
That's a generalization; religion seeks to fulfill the spiritual existentialism common to much of mankind. And science, as we know it, is the systematic discovery of knowledge about the natural world.

To write religion off as obsolete is telling of the philosophical subjectivity that fuels much of the intellectual community.
You come off as a condescending douche sometimes Manuel.

lemonlau36

Smash Journeyman

Victra, you of all people...

It's like when Snape killed Dumbledore and sent him flying out of the Astronomy Tower. Except you don't love Carl's mother, and Carl's eyes don't remind you of her.
A+ 29/10 wonderful. I want to quote this for everything.

Anyway, yeah I will be there on Monday I think

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
this thread has gotten pretty intense o.o

on a lighter note, eff brawl. Melee <333 Calgary showed me the light =p

Allan is the best at brawl btw

sleak-

Smash Journeyman
12hours of smashing X_X , BUT was hella FUN! thanks to victra and his bro for coming, you guys and teh_icy were the special guests this evening :D.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
wow you guys just finished up? intense. and no problem, i was in the neighborhood so why not =p

it was nice seeing you again after like 3 years man =p

NICK you were so funny and stuff today. Such contrast from the melee monthly in Edmonton ahaha. Allan was pretty hilarious too, even though it's been a year since we last seen each other it was as if we've just hung out last weekend =p

Calgary really is chill and easy going....Edmonton seriously is wayyy more srs xD

FalseFalco

Smash Master
Why does it always boil down to religion vs. science. It doesn't feel right comparing them. It's like eating a muffin in the washroom.

I think evangelicals start looking foolish when they stray from the spiritual and start talking about the natural world. I also think that scientists who try to explain the natural world by incorporating spiritual explanations don't have very successful careers.

Diakonos

Smash Lord
Many other books explain sci-fi just as good, maybe even better.
I agree, with respect to the natural world. The human imagination is really nuts.
Hate all you want, but most of the world still leans on religion for understanding.
That's probably true, but that doesn't mean any given religion is true, Luke.
lol, I was trying not to sound like that and failed.

I dont disrespect what he believes but he makes himself look stupid when he writes something like this:

and when I emailed him about proteins and fats raising insulin, he responded
"NO! Protein and fats do NOT raise insulin levels. Those are vegetarian lies."

and when I showed him these links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulin_index
http://www.mendosa.com/insulin_index.htm

he responded:
"Wikipedia.com writes lots of nonsense. The Big Bang Theory is an example."

=/

actually though, I feel like reading the bible now for the hell heck of it.
I almost wonder if this isn't another one of those strawman websites that atheists make to make religious people look bad. I feel his points are awfully supported, and his heart is in the wrong place. There are better explanations of the Christian position out there; I find it important to achieve some sort of breadth when it comes philosophical things. Letting one example stand for the whole leads us into possible misunderstandings.

I really think scripture can stand for itself. I believe that a philosophically honest reading of the New Testament would clear up many of the misconceptions modern culture weaves into our understanding of Christianity. If the Spirit lives, he will draw near to us if we draw near to him. That's what scripture says, anyway.
I wonder why people need to go into religion in the first place? Maybe because they were taught to do it.. or maybe they seek something to believe in because they can't believe in their own power. God so to speak is already beside you or in you, I guess. You just have to realize the connection which normally most people don't have, I mean the connection between the mind and the heart (Love). He's always talking to you into making the best decision you can ever do.. but.. VERY often everyone else just decides to do otherwise because it's "easier" or they are just too lazy to continue.

I mean no one ever said it was easy, lolll. The path to true connection is very tough to maintain and to continue. You have to always devote yourself to it and become a greater person.

Edit: But I mean continuing on a more spiritual path following religion is admirable too.. but you have to do it right.
Kage, I think it's admirable to seek after love. I'm not sure if the answer is within ourselves. I think a survey of the human condition points away from the conclusion that God is already in us. At least, that's not the conclusion I came to. I find it dangerous to say that "people need to go into religion"-- it almost sounds as though the speaker is somehow exempt from such nonsense, and that the situation can be seen through clear lenses from the sky.

I cannot speak for all religion, but I don't believe someone can be forced to truly believe in and love Jesus Christ. I don't think that can be ingrained into a child. Religiosity can be, though, and that's the reason why I would never put my child in a religious school. I've found them to do more damage than good, because the change of heart is imprinted by God, not by human efforts. Modern psychology will say otherwise, though, and supplement the "God is a crutch" ideology that's been promulgated since Freud and Nietzsche.
You come off as a condescending douche sometimes Manuel.
You're absolutely right, Imagination. Please forgive me. I am really terrible at expressing sentiment on the internet without use of emoticons, and I just don't like the emoticons on smashboards :(. Thank you for calling me out on it.
A+ 29/10 wonderful. I want to quote this for everything.

Anyway, yeah I will be there on Monday I think
I couldn't believe it when I read it. I later went on mugglenet and joined the debate on whether Snape was good or bad. I couldn't believe it; I so believed snape was good!
Why does it always boil down to religion vs. science. It doesn't feel right comparing them. It's like eating a muffin in the washroom.

I think evangelicals start looking foolish when they stray from the spiritual and start talking about the natural world. I also think that scientists who try to explain the natural world by incorporating spiritual explanations don't have very successful careers.
.The extension of science into the philosophical realm is something of an extrapolation, one that we cite as naturalism, and it's unfortunate when hard-heartedness pursues because of this leap. I would agree with you, Carl, though your allegory of muffins in washrooms have surely decreased the likelihood of including a muffin in my breakfast any time soon.

I believe in the inspiration of scripture, simply because I cannot deny its experiential effect in my life. I don't preach young earth creationism or natural selection because I don't consider it as crucial as some bigger questions. I question straight naturalism because it doesn't seem to provide a cohesive explanation of the world to me. To take my buddy Bertrand's words, it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on things you have long taken for granted.

BankaiPwn

Smash Cadet
>.> Cannot believe I missed the smashfest to tape up the walls around my house to get them ready to paint =[.................... Blarg.

Victor we have to smash before you head back up and outta calgary, and I'm glad you've seen the light ^_^.

Top Bottom