• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AlbertaSmash

David is way too cool to be seen with you in public

• yes

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Its true. I am way too cool to be seen with you in public.

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters

BuntyBant

Smash Rookie
Its real buddies and were probably gonna change the date cause i have exams and stuff around that time. May ftw?

FalseFalco

Smash Master
I'm really skeptical of this dedede z-axis stuff.

I'm pretty sure melee/64 don't have a z-axis, I'm surprised that brawl does. Doesn't that stuff just mean his 2-d character hurtbox is a bit different than it looks?

T-block

B2B TST
It means that while most motion is restricted to the x-y plane (z-axis coming out of the screen), the game considers three dimensions in collision detection. That is why hitboxes are actually "hitspheres". Dedede gets invincibility until frame 20 in the normal sense of the word. His "invincibility" frame 21-27 occurs because he is actually displaced from the usual plane of action.

It really is a z-axis, because some moves (Bowser's side-b, Charizard's n-air) will actually reach off the usual plane and hit Dedede during those frames 21-27.

FalseFalco

Smash Master
Did you even watch the video? It CLEARLY demonstrates where his model is and isn't hittable. :p
hurr durr

@mike
so it's not the same as invincibility in the sense that some moves with bigger hitboxes can still make contact? if no moves can make contact while the sprite is off centre what's the point in distinguishing between z-axis and invincibility?

T-block

B2B TST
That's correct.

As far as the character's hurtbox goes, he is technically not invincible, since he would be hit by moves if they could reach him. Certain moves can hit back there. But you're right - as far as any move that doesn't reach along the z-axis is concerned, he might as well be invincible.

Top Bottom