• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AlbertaSmash

David is way too cool to be seen with you in public

• yes

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Its true. I am way too cool to be seen with you in public.

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters

sleak-

Smash Journeyman
alrighty calgary melee smashers i am planning on hosting a TOURNAMENT at my place , hopefully on the 24th-26th(not sure yet) hopefully everyone can come , as this will prob be my last event for a while , so hopefully this one will be big and epicccc@!

MeSSi

Smash Ace
i plan on traveling this year too. maybe to seattle or BC or EC. probably during winter break or something. jack is rite we need flyers and stuff. maybe mike H. and tblock could post flyers around campus to boost their tourney attendance and to find new players.

jack bring the dudes u found at the animethon tourney ***

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I hope this is true. I'm honestly looking forward to seeing how you (and a few others) will do OoP. Too bad Edmonton is so far away from everything else...at least Vancouver has a 2-3 hour drive to Seattle.

:005:
Maybe I'll come down to BC when I get my license. I probably won't go to Pound 5, but perhaps EC Canada, and either Cata5 or Apex 2011, or an MLG event if MLG keeps brawl on their game roster.

Imagination

Smash Apprentice
Sorry about earlier Luke. i was just trolling
Both scenes have taken hard hits in Alberta. Soon the only way to see good competition will be to travel, and not everyone will want to do that, so I see both scenes dying even more. I'll definitely be traveling for smash this year, and I look forward to do so.
brawl has online

thats because the melee scene is dying :(
lots of people have quit because they don't have fun playing anymore

the melee scene is also old, which means alot of the old school players have moved onto university, jobs etc.

the same thing will happen to the brawl scene in the future :(

:051:
I feel I have been contributing to the problem, since I used to be the Calgary hub for the last 4 years minus this year. Tbh I don't really like the competitive part of melee anymore, and since i've brought myself so far into it I find it too hard to play casually like a party game so I just don't play anymore. Thats why I would sandbag all the time (sorry guys...
victor
)

Brawl still has a good 4 years before old people syndrome will take effect :), enjoy it.
Paul's tourney
will likely be the last smash thing I go to. See you guys there

Imagination

Smash Apprentice
super get smashed bros is still fairgame. if there was a super get smashed tourney I'd so be down.

Also Steve what ever happened to that bbq?

edit: lol I was joking luke, online anything is the worst

Imagination

Smash Apprentice
also luke your personality of a soggy **** has shriveled overtime. alsoalso I accepted your friend request on facebook from like 20 years ago today

Hansel34

Smash Cadet
Its sad how people are talking about how the melee scene and the brawl scene are slowly dieing when I've just gotten in to it =/.

Also @KillLock, totally agree, just a bunch of casual players will help ALOT, and a few of them might start playng more. Idk how many people will ever find smashboards.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
only dying in our region, but i dont think it is really true. people just have less time since the majority of the players are going to post secondary (much more busier).

i can only think of around 6 players who stopped, but theres more than 6 players who joined for melee.

lilseph

Smash Ace
It's not going to be as easy as you all think with getting new players. We are going to destroy new players and they are going to place last, and i don't think they will want that and will probably quit. We need players that love the game and want to get better, not just casual players that will play for fun with their friends in a four man FFA with items on.

Limeee

Smash Champion
Its sad how people are talking about how the melee scene and the brawl scene are slowly dieing when I've just gotten in to it =/.

Also @KillLock, totally agree, just a bunch of casual players will help ALOT, and a few of them might start playng more. Idk how many people will ever find smashboards.
i was always told how awesome the melee scene was, then the second i joined, is when some people stopped showing up

i still haven't met sid, mikemonkey and most of the calgary guys except for tyson

:009:

Hansel34

Smash Cadet
Have any of you guys played numonezeldafan before? Lives in lethbridge, destroyed my ganondorf so badly T.T

Tyson651

Smash Lord
It's not going to be as easy as you all think with getting new players. We are going to destroy new players and they are going to place last, and i don't think they will want that and will probably quit. We need players that love the game and want to get better, not just casual players that will play for fun with their friends in a four man FFA with items on.
by at least 6 joining, i mean 6 joining and staying in the scene.

eg. dragonz, matt, jamie, etc.

i was always told how awesome the melee scene was, then the second i joined, is when some people stopped showing up

i still haven't met sid, mikemonkey and most of the calgary guys except for tyson

:009:
lol tyson is calgary
jamie, do u know that im originally edmonton?

im only in calgary from january 2010 - aug 2010, ill be back in edmonton starting sept 1st

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
anyone interested in playing at my place this weekend? lemme know i could do a std

FalseFalco

Smash Master
lilseph said:
This has never been a problem.

The players who have any drive at all (ie. might actually be good someday) get their **** wrecked and then want to get better.

BC actually did tournaments where experienced players weren't allowed to play in an attempt to address this. But what's the point of being the best of the worst? that's not how I learned to play.

People learn more by losing these anyway. Whenever I lose my cool in a match I'm losing I end up getting wrecked, and whenever I start changing my game properly I gain the lead. FUNNEH HOW DAT WORKS

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
This has never been a problem.

The players who have any drive at all (ie. might actually be good someday) get their **** wrecked and then want to get better.

BC actually did tournaments where experienced players weren't allowed to play in an attempt to address this. But what's the point of being the best of the worst? that's not how I learned to play.

People learn more by losing these anyway. Whenever I lose my cool in a match I'm losing I end up getting wrecked, and whenever I start changing my game properly I gain the lead. FUNNEH HOW DAT WORKS
This reminds me of when I play my friend in StarCraft. At 5 minutes in, everything is even and I'm probably turtling as Terran. Then, I realize how long it would take me to get all the way to his base, break his defenses, and win. After this realization, I quit the match (offtopic, but the only way I ever finish a SC match is if I rush or cheese). I feel that the situation is similar for new people entering a smash scene. They get wrecked, do a cost benefit analysis and realize it would probably take a lot of time and effort for them to improve to the level of the veteran players. Then they realize they have lives and matters more important than getting good at a video game and quit. Sure, there's the odd person that will find the benefit greater than the cost, but if we only attract such people, the scene will slowly die. I think the best way to attract new players to simply have people at their skill level. This is sort of a given, but people enjoy playing with people their own skill level, and not with someone pro who wrecks them. People enjoy being the best of anything, even if it is "the worst," it will give them motivation to move to a high level.

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
i learned to play sf by playing anyone and everyone i could i dont care about losing, **** i played dan in smash 64 for over an hour and the only reason we stopped playing was because HE was bored. i don't quit because of better players or because i cant win or any of that scrubby mentality nonsense.

Top Bottom