• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AlbertaSmash

David is way too cool to be seen with you in public

• yes

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Its true. I am way too cool to be seen with you in public.

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters

Tyson651

Smash Lord
brawl kinda ruined all my hype for sc2 , i played the beta and i keept thinking of how it might be like brawl so its meh
while it does have a lot of simplified stuff, eg. auto workers, multiple building selection, unlimited army selection on 1 hotkey, etc. u should give it a try.

its pretty close to the same reason for brawl and melee, its quite bit of a different game and the gameplay is somewhat the same, but somewhat different as well. its fun as hell though (though i dont think brawl is that fun personally), so dont have brawl influence ur decision in playing sc2.

get a guest pass from someone so u can give sc2 another try. it gives u 7 hours of gameplay.

My sleep schedule is SO ****ed up. God****.

Tempted to do some 2v2 or 3v3 or 4v4 randoms but from I've seen in my games there are a lot of baddies :(
thats why u play with meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Stevo

Smash Champion
I must admit, whenever a game is in the making, I think to myself "I hope they don't pull a brawl"

I mean no disrespect for Brawlers, but that's how it is.

It was the biggest disappointment for me, especially since everyone was so devoted to melee and checked the brawl site for updates religiously.
The greater the hype, the greater the potential disappointment.

sc2 falls on this Great Hype category, but Blizzard makes games to be competitive.

I also really like Starcraft 2, even more than sc1, perhaps in part, because sc1 everyone is too good at it and it has a steeper learning curve.
Perhaps this is in part why people like brawl.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
I actually want to try playing zerg and toss more but my macro really sucks balls.

Also, I don't know any build orders for them lol

Yesterday I played with 3 friends and they did reaper rush while I tried a planetary fortress rush. We got *****.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
I agree. SC2 better not be brawlified; and the sad thing is that I think it's starting to happen. Terran is screwed over with no medic and no goliath. I mained terran in SC1, and it was soo fun cause they were the hardest to play, but now it seems as if SC2 is all macro no micro. Spamming one type of unit should not be a legitimate strategy.

Even all the best abilities are taken out/nerfed, like dark swarm, psi storm, irridiate, etc.

I rant.

Had the beta, will buy the game if I have to. I hope they bring back SC1 units in the other 2 expansions. Gold/Plat league!

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
I agree. SC2 better not be brawlified; and the sad thing is that I think it's starting to happen. Terran is screwed over with no medic and no goliath. I mained terran in SC1, and it was soo fun cause they were the hardest to play, but now it seems as if SC2 is all macro no micro. Spamming one type of unit should not be a legitimate strategy.

Even all the best abilities are taken out/nerfed, like dark swarm, psi storm, irridiate, etc.

I rant.

Had the beta, will buy the game if I have to. I hope they bring back SC1 units in the other 2 expansions. Gold/Plat league!
Well the units from SC1 are still in the game, just not in multiplayer.
Most units have had their functionality covered by another unit.

I just miss my medics T.T

Tyson651

Smash Lord
well they do have medivacs, which is pretty much the same thing.

im sure the next expansion (zerg/protoss) is going to bring medics back, and lurkers etc.

whats a planetary fortress rush? and 3 people shouldnt be doing a reaper rush, max 2, or just 1.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
Medivacs basically screw over Terran in early-game T v Z. You got Marauders against Toss, which is good. But basically in SC1, T v P you go all mech, and T v Z you go SK Terran (bioball) or regular bioball + tanks. In the early game, terran is totally reliant on M+M to hold off ling harass, but now since Medivacs come out of a Starport, lings > rines early game. This reduces SC2 Terran's only option against Zerg is to wall in, which shouldn't be the only option available. By the time Medivacs come out, Zerg already has Mutaling, giving them total map control. Flash demonstrates this really well, cause he goes 14CC and manages to defend it with pure M+M micro. This isn't possible in SC2.

EDIT: And you can't micro as well with Medivacs being planes, cause in SC1, you would send your medics to the front and rines behind. This goes back to the whole "SC2 macro > micro" thing.

Oh and my SC1 Bnet name is ruhtraeel, but I'm in the void so chat is disabled. I usually use Tunngle anyways.

T-block

B2B TST
PF rush is building multiple CCs, floating them into your opponent's base, or somewhere important, and then turning them into PFs to attack their crap.

Then you bring in SCVs and drop MULEs on them to repair lol

ruhtraeel, don't Hellions handle lings fine? Terran isn't really hindered by being forced to wall-in in sc2 anyways.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
PF rush is building multiple CCs, floating them into your opponent's base, or somewhere important, and then turning them into PFs to attack their crap.

ruhtraeel, don't Hellions handle lings fine? Terran isn't really hindered by being forced to wall-in in sc2 anyways.
Yeah hellions are good against lings, but when the inevitable muta harass comes, then you would have to do a mix of... either hellions + vikings, which are on two different tech trees, or hellions + marines + medivacs, which are on 3 different tech trees. In a hellionforearlygame sense, it would seem that Terran would be desperately trying to catch up every step of the way; 10 pool > rines, so either wall or scv's attack, hellions come out as the zerg spire is coming down, vikings/starport for Medivacs coming down while zerg has full fledged speedcracklings and mutas.

I dunno. I've always liked how Terran is so adaptable against the other 2 races in SC1; T v Z everything leads nicely into each other, such as mass barracks for bioball transition into bay for upgrades and turrets to defend muta harass; not too many tanks required unless they go lurkers, jump straight to starport and mass sci vessel + irridiate.
T v P is just all mech w/detection (obviously for dt's), vultures + tanks > goons, if the toss decides to do a costly tech switch into carriers or something, gols w/range upgrades ftw!

On a side note, my Falco's pillaring seems to be improving, and I realized I use Falcon's STAWMP to tech-chase instead of grabs...? Massive hitstun :-D!

Tyson651

Smash Lord

that sounds just as dumb as scv rushing in sc1

T-block

B2B TST
I wish I could respond, Arthur, but I am sooooo bad against Mutas it's ridiculous. I've heard Thors are the way to counter Mutas though, which is fairly easy to get to out of a Hellion opening. What's wrong with Terran being forced to wall?

Yeah PF rush is pretty dumb lol... it's more of a toy-with-your-opponent kind of thing.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
Lol SCV rush was hilarious, expecially when Boxer did it. But Terran should have other options, like in SC1, where you can 1 rax FE, 2 rax FE, 14 CC, 2 fact vultures, etc. Yeah apparently Thors are decent against mutas, but Thors = slow and Muta = fast + map control. In SC1, Terran's primary choice to defend against mutas was M+M with perfect micro, group not line, stim, don't chase, focus fire, and good turret placement.

I'm not great at it either, but I've been getting better, realizing that mutas can't break through an M+M blob. SC2, however, I have no clue how to defend it, which is why I play Zerg (seeing as how it's the least changed).

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=64215

XD

Tyson651

Smash Lord
first step against mutas as terran is to build turrets lol.

mutas are horrible on head on attacks, (and too expensive for that too) so their main purpose is to harrass everything or pick at lone/smaller army groups.

i also heard thors were awesome against mutas.

edit: i found that keeping the pressure on zerg at a early to mid game (before spire) works pretty well. they cant fast tech to spire if u got those marines and marauders up there. though im not sure if doing that in 1v1 would help since all i play is 2v2+

how i learned this was cause i was the zerg player rofl. which is why i switched to terran. (zerg main in sc1, and my first few days of sc2)

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
Yes, Mutas are never supposed to be used in head-on attacks, except for mutaling. They're never actually meant to be front-line damagers anyways; the only thing they do in mutaling is absorb damage so that the lings can go in and destroy everything. Which brings me to another gripe; how dark swarm was removed. Mutaling is generally used against mech in SC1, and ultraling + defiler was for everything else. It ***** so hard in SC1, especially against mass goons and Terran. Basically, in any unit+ling combo, the other unit provides a physical wall to draw fire since lings have ludicrously powerful damage output, but are fragile as hell.

All in all, I'm sort of disappointed that Terran (gameplay wise) is basically a new race right now. I'm sure there are strategies that I don't know about, but right now for me, SC1 > SC2.

Mutas are very versatile, as proven by the differences in usage between players like sAviOR and Jaedong.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
ya, in sc2, from what i see is its all about fungal growth, banelings, zerglings, roaches/hydras/mutas, and mind controlling those large units like thors or colos

Limeee

Smash Champion
how are you supposed to use banelings anyways?

i never teched into them cuz i figured they were useless

i just mass lings,roaches and hydras then tech into flying stuff

:009:

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
Banelings are alright, but their role in killing grouped ground units is already filled by speedcracklings for the most part, which reduces their only role into weakening a terran wall in for your lings to break through anyways.

I guess there's always the advantage of surprise, if you hide your baneling tech somewhere and the opponent's obs are taking vacations. Which is hard anyways, cause you gotta build on creep.
Hidden tech has never really been an option for zerg; guaranteed mutas, lings, or lurkers+hydras.

IMHO scourges were much more useful, especially against the corsairs attacking your mutas, or the sci vessels irridiating them, or other mutas, etc.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
ya, if u see a terran who walls with like 2 supplies side by side, bring in about 8-10 banelings and they'll bust those supplies in one second. then u can swarm in ur lings right behind them.

T-block

B2B TST
Zerg can hide buildings now that Overlords can drop creep - one of the reasons I never manage to scout the Spire -_-

Banelings are a good answer to Terran bioball... they melt Marines stupidly fast.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
@ T-block true, cause TERRAN DOESN'T HAVE FRIKKIN FIREBATS IN THE BALL NOWARGH

Why is it that every game I pick up or get good at, the prime has already passed? Melee, Starsiege: Tribes, Starcraft...

Then again, back in 07 all I did was SHFFL Bowser repeatedly.

Canadian revival of melee 2, anyone?

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1-iGbaZN-R0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1-iGbaZN-R0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Top Bottom