• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AlbertaSmash

David is way too cool to be seen with you in public

• yes

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Its true. I am way too cool to be seen with you in public.

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters

Regular Hitler

Smash Cadet
and not that hard to organize. people could just walk around anywhere and play anyone and it would count towards the tournament. it'd be like a big day of friendlies

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
lol I don't get it either, but they were good games.

on a side note, played 5 games with beeble and won all of them by a fairly large margin. and from what I've played, I think your puff is better than mike whyte's, but idk. that might just be me

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
also something's wrong with my controller. I think I need to get a new one even though this one's pretty new lol. I noticed it in every set I played with my falco. =/ I think it's cause I left my controller in my car outside last week when it was really cold?

Vitality

Smash Ace
also something's wrong with my controller. I think I need to get a new one even though this one's pretty new lol. I noticed it in every set I played with my falco. =/ I think it's cause I left my controller in my car outside last week when it was really cold?
To be honest I felt something wrong with those new white controllers. They just didn't have a nice feel to them. Probably because they're just new.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
johns

But today was seriously a lot of fun. Can't believe I missed the last 3 or so.

"One more!"
"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

plus Sid's jump of anger after an intense Roy vs. Fox match was too good.

Good ****tttttttttttttttttt

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Not enough experience. You have some basics down, but you mess up a lot and have no mixups, you're really predictable. It'll improve after awhile. Ganon vs Falcon with Dan was the most fun out of today though, along with getting as much money as dan in singles even though I got 2nd.

lemonlau36

Smash Journeyman
After an intense 6 hours of getting ***** I have but one question; What am I doing wrong?
Predictability - Sometimes there are blatantly obvious moves that you do that cost you bigtime. For example, if you get knocked down and someone is right over top of you, you pretty much always go for the get up attack. It seems like the best option because you think "He's right there and I'm going to hit him!" but you have to know when you're at a disadvantageous position and your opponents habits. This is but one example. I always used to get ***** as Pikachu because whenever I got on the ledge I'd drop, jump and forward air. While it's generally safe, people see it coming, avoid and counter.

Technical ability - Make sure your L-cancelling is down for sure for sure. I'm not convinced that you L-cancel everything, but it's *soooooo* important. Maximum important.
Your timing could use some work, like knowing when you can jump after an up throw, or when you can fsmash with Marth after a back throw. Things like that.

Technical ability for the most part can be worked out on your own, then refined in practical situations. As for certain match dynamics, just keep playing against people.

lemonlau36

Smash Journeyman
Also, RESULTS

Singles:
1: SuPeRbOoM ($11.70)
2: Alphicans ($5.85)
3: Solaris ($1.95)
4: Beeble
5: LemonLau
5: halcyon.days
7: After Dawn
7: Omar
9: Sraigux
9: T-Block
9: Devon

Doubles:
1: SHWN + FalseFalco (SHWN + FalseFalco) ($16.50)
2: SuPeRbOoM + halcyon.days (SuPeRbOoM + halcyon.days) ($8.25)
3: TL (Tyson + Alphicans) ($2.75)
4: Devon + Solaris (Devon + Solaris)
5: After Dawn + T-Block (After Dawn + T-Block)
5: IVAN OOZE (LemonLau + Beeble)
7: Sraigux + Omar (Sraigux + Omar)

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
I'm not complaining about it, so how is it a john? I didn't blame it on anything. I'm just saying, when I was vs'ing Sraigux and Omar, there was a point where it wasn't registering anything. Later on in the match, I was really high in the air, pressing side B to pound normally (I was jiggs), and then nothing was happening. I mashed it and nothing was coming out. Then it started working again.

FalseFalco

Smash Master
brad asks why good people don't stay for singles, but then I answered... good people only like 2v2.
tyson/shawn only play doubles
I like 1v1 but I had family obligations (again)
COMIN BACK TWICE AS HARD NEXT TIME
Good games today everyone! Shawn and I got hella lucky in doubles, you guys(dan mike) gotta step up yo game a little bit (IT'S JUST A FALCO).

Calgary/Victor - U GUYSSSSSSS :(

Sid - always a pleasant host (keep it real)
Mike Whyte - good **** breaking the silence today alberta doesnt really flinch when cool **** happens. We're boring. Come back more :(
Jarret - never got to play good job on third
luke - good job on second, I didn't see the matches but did you go sheik? DAN HATES SHEIK LOLOL (do it)
Dan - Keep on swingin that baseball bat (marth dik)
Matt - cool moves and stop choking in doubles! you ****ed up a couple times and it cost some easy stocks I think. We have to mm ganon falcon sometime, I might not take your money so easily having watched your falcon lately.
Omar - sup
Mike Wong - I didn't get to talk to you much or play you at all :( I wanna see some terrifying moves soon, I wanna see some killer instinct!
Tyson - Play some singles god **** it makes you better in doubles I swear
Tyler - Didn't get to play you but I like your hair
Devon - is legit, you probably wont read this but I admire that you play like it's '03 and doc is still **** I wish I could do that for doc but all I do is upb cancel and backair :(
Sraiguxguxgux - Played a couple times I like the marth, didn't see the falco today! But either way sid just gave you some hella good advice. My advice would be to play a million battles with someone way better than you. You'll get used to their habits and that's not healthy, but you'll learn all the possible situations and what does and doesnt work. Stepping back from your game is really important in improving (something I don't do lolol)

This has been carl's 5 minute shoutouts

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I did go sheik, and she was mildly successful, but not enough to get me the win. I have a problem with fox as any character :\.

lemonlau36

Smash Journeyman
tyson/shawn only play doubles
I like 1v1 but I had family obligations (again)
COMIN BACK TWICE AS HARD NEXT TIME
Good games today everyone! Shawn and I got hella lucky in doubles, you guys(dan mike) gotta step up yo game a little bit (IT'S JUST A FALCO).

Calgary/Victor - U GUYSSSSSSS
:(

Sid - always a pleasant host (keep it real)
Mike Whyte - good **** breaking the silence today alberta doesnt really flinch when cool **** happens. We're boring. Come back more
Jarret - never got to play good job on third
luke - good job on second, I didn't see the matches but did you go sheik? DAN HATES SHEIK LOLOL (do it)
Dan - Keep on swingin that baseball bat (marth dik)
Matt - cool moves and stop choking in doubles! you ****ed up a couple times and it cost some easy stocks I think. We have to mm ganon falcon sometime, I might not take your money so easily having watched your falcon lately.
Omar - sup
Mike Wong - I didn't get to talk to you much or play you at all
I wanna see some terrifying moves soon, I wanna see some killer instinct!
Tyson - Play some singles god **** it makes you better in doubles I swear
Tyler - Didn't get to play you but I like your hair
Devon - is legit, you probably wont read this but I admire that you play like it's '03 and doc is still **** I wish I could do that for doc but all I do is upb cancel and backair
Sraiguxguxgux - Played a couple times I like the marth, didn't see the falco today! But either way sid just gave you some hella good advice. My advice would be to play a million battles with someone way better than you. You'll get used to their habits and that's not healthy, but you'll learn all the possible situations and what does and doesnt work. Stepping back from your game is really important in improving (something I don't do lolol)

This has been carl's 5 minute shoutouts
SO SAD!

Aw man you missed out on Dev *almost* making the most gigantic comeback on Dan in their set. Doc vs Falcon, 3 stocks to 1 for Dan and it ended up coming down to last stock last hit.

Also, Jarrett
and Corneria
***** me in losers bracket. GG's. I knew the day would come where you would wreck me Jarrett. It's all in the **** kick.

I am forgetting the guy's name who brought his bro with him. They were fun to play against and really sociable. +1 street cred

Matt is the most entertaining smasher I've ever met. Also +1 street cred. Soooooo good but too many chokes. Speaking of entertainment, yeah we need more Mike-esque hype in Alberta. Which is why everyone needs to play like Matt lol

Regarding the Roy jump YOU WERE DEAD AND YOU KNOW IT FFFFFFFFFFF

Also MaikoWong and I make a dece team. Maybe we should team at whatever tourney is next.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Alberta onry PR round robin tourney

its the only way
yes plz.
GGs everybody. Once again I had nobody easy to face in my bracket. =( but no johns I guess.

Victor, I beat Mike in tourney using Falco only. Get at me, you said I couldn't do it. =)
Good job Tyler! You proved me wrong =] wtf is wrong with your marth lmao.
To be honest I felt something wrong with those new white controllers. They just didn't have a nice feel to them. Probably because they're just new.
I don't like white controllers either. Feels strange.
After an intense 6 hours of getting ***** I have but one question; What am I doing wrong?
Don't worry, Sid said it best. It just takes time. =D But mad respect for keeping with it though.
Calgary/Victor - U GUYSSSSSSS :(
Sorry bro. :<

Sraigux

Smash Journeyman
So when I am approaching someone the only mix ups I know are a shffled aerial, a JC grab or an empty shorthop (which I don't normally use because I get hit out of it 90% of the time) is there anything else I can throw in to mix up my approach?

Sraigux

Smash Journeyman
Also, bad news... Omar doesn't want to "waste" money by going to any more tourneys. Even though he only went to 2. I told him he cannot get better without practice, but I don't think it phased him..

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
So when I am approaching someone the only mix ups I know are a shffled aerial, a JC grab or an empty shorthop (which I don't normally use because I get hit out of it 90% of the time) is there anything else I can throw in to mix up my approach?
Run and wavedash backwards in an attempt to bait.
Depending on your character, double jump aerial.
Run up to them and crouch cancel if you think they'll hit you, then either counter attack or JC grab.
Dash dance like crazy and bait them.

Do you still play Falco? I saw you playing Marth so I'm not sure but...

If you play Marth use spacing. If you do it right it's very hard to get in to attack without getting punished.

if you play Falco camp like a fgt.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
it should be run up to them and crouch cancel behind them then fsmash or grab.

or run up to them and shield right in front of them, but most likely grabbing quickly after.

the thing is, u're not consistently technical. if u cant do things u want to do then ur first problem lies there.

so u should practice and be able to perform everything u want to perform.

secondly it will be playing a lot against people. ull learn everything and what to do, what not to do from there. thats how u learn the fastest is just by playing others.

thirdly, i think watching videos are great, steal strategies and combos from great players (scar, zhu, jman, mango, peepee, etc.) that will help u get started in knowing what to do during matches AFTER mastering ur technical ability.

sorry i didnt read anything sid wrote, so if i repeated him then my bad lol.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
Also, bad news... Omar doesn't want to "waste" money by going to any more tourneys. Even though he only went to 2. I told him he cannot get better without practice, but I don't think it phased him..
Tell him to come, but not play tourney matches. Tell him to go proactive, go up to someone who is not playing and say, "Hey, wanna play a few friendlies with me and give me tips?"

Most tournaments that are held at houses are more or less competitive smashfests as opposed to actual tournaments.

Regular Hitler

Smash Cadet
watch vids of good people, its really easy to learn if you watch for things like what worked and why.
I really wish calgary went. I was gonna make like 50 bucks in money matches as long as no one backed down.

where'm I at =[

edit: found this on a youtube comment: "i am glad music has changed now we have jonas bros instead of the beatles or jimmi hendrix or bob dylan it was so worth john lennon dyin 4 us 2 get the jonas bros. hu the **** are they inspired by"

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
Good job Tyler! You proved me wrong =] wtf is wrong with your marth lmao.
I don't even know. I 3-stocked Mike W (the other W)'s Jiggs in friendlies, IIRC. But Maiko's brings me down to 1 stock. I don' understand. =/

wtf, is he jewish?

Edit: Brandon, where were you yesterday? I think I saw an MSN convo open on Sid's laptop with your name on it, but I didn't get a chance to read it lol

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
I don't even know. I 3-stocked Mike W (the other W)'s Jiggs in friendlies, IIRC. But Maiko's brings me down to 1 stock. I don' understand. =/

wtf, is he jewish?

Edit: Brandon, where were you yesterday? I think I saw an MSN convo open on Sid's laptop with your name on it, but I didn't get a chance to read it lol
3-stocking in friendlies = means nothing.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Yeah, I gave Sid a message or two. Something's leaking in my car and I don't know if it's my washer fluid or my transmission fluid. Either way, I'd rather not take that kind of risk of driving until I get that fixed. God forbid something happen while I was on the road in this weather.

Sorry that I couldn't make it...

Top Bottom