• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alaska(friend codes in first post)

DaemonFang

Smash Lord
then play melee, where your so constantly on the offense there is no time for defense therefore the best defensive and offensive game there is.

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
Melee is old though, and has less stages, characters, and options than Brawl. Plus its almost just as unbalanced as Brawl is.

Also you just said there is no defense and that means Melee has the best defense? I don't understand.

Xanskar

Smash Lord
Characters, stages, and oldness make a game bad m i rite

Except when half the stages are stupid gimmick stages, the stage creator is bad, and the characters are bad, that means the old game is better.

Also, Zelda OoT/LttP/Wind Waker > Twilight Princess
there goes the old argument too

Che_Lab

Smash Lord
Despite what some people have been saying, melee has plenty of defensive properties about it.
For instance, it is a general consensus that peach is played better defensively.
An example that comes to mind is camping/using projectiles. With a lot of characters that is a legitimate way to rack up damage/make the enemy approach. That would be considered defensive, no?
A popular technique many marth players (including myself) have taken advantage of is predicting when the enemy is going to approach and in that moment, wavedash backwards and forward smash.
These are just a few examples that were on top of my head.
If you ask anyone who plays me a lot, they'll probably tell you I'm mostly a defensive player.

Secondly, I disagree with the claims made about melee being as unbalanced as brawl.
For instance I've beaten Adrian at brawl before (not a lot but I have at least once or twice).
Now one has to factor in that I rarely if ever play brawl (sober that is).
This by itself means nothing but, I am willing to bet 100 dollars that no one could beat me at melee AT ALL if they hardly ever play(ed) it, even if they play brawl a lot.
By the way, Adrian really is good at brawl and out of the few times I have fought him he has mostly won.

Furthermore, in melee, it isn't totally unimaginable for one player to beat another with a lower tier character (ie donkey kong vs captainfalcon/fox)
Now I know I am not an expert at brawl but I can assume it is substantially harder for MOST lower tier characters to put up a fight in MOST matchups. (correct me if im wrong)

Is that good enough post etiquette for you, Matt?

Zerosyko

Smash Cadet
I really need to up my melee game :/

I'm pretty good at Brawl, but horrid at melee. Maybe this is because I didn't start playing competitively until a couple years ago. Maybe it's because my closest friend had never played a smash game in his life and did barely anything except spam.

I think I might pick melee up today, and seriously give it a try. I'd rather be good at both games than say " X game sucks because of this and this". I like Brawl more on the aesthetics level, I like the soundtrack, and I main Olimar and Kirby (lolmeleekirby), but they're different games. If people treated them as so, Brawl might be more liked in general.

Zerosyko

Smash Cadet
You got a date planned for the next one? And are they a combo of Brawl/Melee or just primarily Melee? :D

DaemonFang

Smash Lord
i dont have a date planned yet, name a day thats good for yall and ill ask my parents. if matt comes again its guaranteed to have some brawl.

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
coughbrawl+notbrawlcough

Anyways......

Characters, stages, and oldness make a game bad m i rite

Except when half the stages are stupid gimmick stages, the stage creator is bad, and the characters are bad, that means the old game is better.

Also, Zelda OoT/LttP/Wind Waker > Twilight Princess
there goes the old argument too
Lets see, in Melee there are 6 neutrals
* Yoshi's Story
* Fountain of Dreams
* Pokémon Stadium
* Battlefield
* Dream Land (N64)
* Final Destination

In Brawl+ there are like.....
*Battlefield
*Final Destination
*WarioWare
*Wifi Waiting Room
*Lylat Cruise
*Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
*Pokemon Stadium 2
*Smashville
*Luigi's Mansion
*Hacked Custom Stages
*Pokemon Stadium 1
10 Neutral stages + however many custom stages you get

I'm not talking about normal Brawl BTW

And It's not that by being old it's bad, I just mean because it's old I would rather play the new one as I haven't played it as much. When Twilight Princess came out I would rather have played that than Wind Waker.
I still think Twilight Princess is better than Wind Waker actually.
And how are all the new characters bad? Just because some are overpowered doesn't make them bad.

Secondly, I disagree with the claims made about melee being as unbalanced as brawl.
For instance I've beaten Adrian at brawl before (not a lot but I have at least once or twice).
Now one has to factor in that I rarely if ever play brawl (sober that is).
This by itself means nothing but, I am willing to bet 100 dollars that no one could beat me at melee AT ALL if they hardly ever play(ed) it, even if they play brawl a lot.
By the way, Adrian really is good at brawl and out of the few times I have fought him he has mostly won.

Furthermore, in melee, it isn't totally unimaginable for one player to beat another with a lower tier character (ie donkey kong vs captainfalcon/fox)
Now I know I am not an expert at brawl but I can assume it is substantially harder for MOST lower tier characters to put up a fight in MOST matchups. (correct me if im wrong)
Easy to pick up doesn't mean its unbalanced, and anyways, you beat him once, so what? Was it a serious match even?

And I think the general consensus is that the distance between the tiers is less in Brawl.

Is that good enough post etiquette for you, Matt?
I was just kidding :p

Anyways I don't mean to sound argumentative or anything, sorry if I came off that way.

Che_Lab

Smash Lord
damit im too dumb to figure out multiquote
anyways ya no hate on the etiquette **** i was just doin that for da lulz'
oh and ya the matches vs adrian were serious
and what i meant by that is if a new player can pick something up and win something against someone who should be significantly better makes it seem like the game takes less skill. furthermore, ive heard a lot of people who are "good" at brawl claiming they lose to random noobs a lot
sakurai said it himself he didn't want skill to be a factor in this game, its supposed to be winnable by anyone
which wouldnt be that bad except it has things like MK and ridiculous chaingrabs (i realise melee has these things too, but it seems brawl has a significantly higher amount of them.

also i dont see how the distance between tiers is less in brawl when EVERY big tournament winner i hear about is snake or mk

i mean
whos good against mk? other mks and snake sort of has a chance

compared to melee
whos good against fox, the top tier character of melee?
jigglypuff, captain falcon, peach, falco, marth, sheik, donkey kong, Mew2, luigi, mario, dmario, etc can all hold their own against him
imo falco has a slight advantage too
i personally love it when people play fox because his recovery is fun to gimp and he is one of the funnest characters to combo/techchase.

anyways i dont see why your defending brawl anyways, i thought brawl+ was your game, and honestly It looks pretty fun Its still pretty new to me but I dont have much to complain about it.

anyways arguing with people about melee in this thread is not gunna make sense
even if ur logic works people here love it so they won't care

DaemonFang

Smash Lord
TP results

Melee singles

1st M2K
2nd Silent Wolf
3rd Manli
4th Kage palyin GANON all the way. twas amazing

Brawl Singles

1. Tyrant
2. fiction
3. M2K

good ****

Zerosyko

Smash Cadet
I like t3h Brawl+, Link is the **** :)

But seriously....Why don't you guys just play both (all 3) O_o

I like the added stages and characters in Brawl(+), but some like Melee more. Get good with both games, then there isn't a problem. amirite?

Melee vs. Brawl just boils down to "My opinion is > your opinion". And that makes no sense -_-

Zerosyko

Smash Cadet
I dunno...probably 2-3 hours.

I see you live in Eagle River...I lived there next to Carr's for 2/5 years I lived in Alaska :)

Zerosyko

Smash Cadet
I'm 14, and my parents...ehh...I dunno. They say they might be able to drive me out there for the next 'fest :D

Zerosyko

Smash Cadet
Nonono...My OWN TV. I have a laptop, and I had a TV when I lived in Michigan for this past school year, but I moved here and all we got is a family TV :/

Che_Lab

Smash Lord
lol at one point in time for like 6 months i had 3 tvs in my room
i gave one to this azn *****
demon-fool
im keeping the other 2 lol

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
I had a 13" TV in my room for like 6 years, then I finally bought a much bigger one for like $50 a couple months ago :laugh:. I should have bought it a long time ago.

DaemonFang

Smash Lord
well Kenai, all i can tell you is that you need to practice on your own for the time being... if you can record or if you need help with something, post here and we'll help you as best as we can.

Xanskar

Smash Lord
well Kenai, all i can tell you is that you need to practice on your own for the time being... if you can record or if you need help with something, post here and we'll help you as best as we can.
says the guy who cant l-cancel
OH SNAP

DaemonFang

Smash Lord
no im saying if you cant beat derek then you arent that great at the game. I.E. anyone who gets theys *** whooped by derek. how would you have placed in tourney play? or will place if you go to genesis?

Che_Lab

Smash Lord
ya no ****
although i bet derek could beat a lot of people in the major tournies, just not the big names like m2k
i bet hed go even or beat kage at his prime
he sucks at melee now
ask him

besides if i went, i would know that i wouldnt be placing well
it would still be an amazing experience
OVER 900 PREGISTERED for GENESIS
cmon that would be like the best friendlies in my life
and even just meeting all the peoples would be fun
especially all the pros
and home made waffles lulz

spacing_out

*desperate downsmash*
Well Zerosyko,
I do know of someone else
who likes to play Brawl.

I don't think you would
enjoy getting constantly
***** with the Wii Wheel.

Yes, he's in Kenai.
Yes, he uses the Wii Wheel.
No, you will not win.

Props to anyone who sees what I did there.

Top Bottom