• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alaska(friend codes in first post)

Always_Default

Smash Journeyman
Is there any smash tournaments in Anchorage coming up?

There is a 'crew' of smashers over at East High School, and were pretty ok. We'd also like to face any competition in Alaska. We know all the advanced techniques (wavedashing, l-cancelling, ect.), but we've never played anyone outside of our school. So everyone please respond and do not let this thread die out like before.

never1_always2@msn.com

Daniel Allman

Duckmurderer

Smash Cadet
Hey, everyone ignore my first post, It's a load of bull-...

Anyway, to the point, I'm with Daniel's 'crew' and we really need to see what others can dish out because we are, sadly, the most devoted in the school to smash. What with spending actual time, and in some cases, money during our fests together, learning how to wavedash/land, peachbombing(for me), timing the (as nintendo power said) dishonorable cape, etc. Bring us competition.

Kenjiblade

Smash Apprentice
Awesome. It's good to know that the Alaskans (however few in number we are) still post here.

TCP - I'll definitely take you up on that offer, if for some outlandish reason I end up travelling specifically to Cordova. ;)

I'm looking for some tough competition really badly, and I'd love to face the chance of losing consistently again. That would certainly be cool, and as stated before, I'll have to travel elsewhere to do this. Juneau's Smash scene is definitely 'meh'.

FunkMaster

Smash Journeyman
hey the cat dude told me about this. cool. i think i know that derek guy. he's chill. craziness
*Edit*
don't you have to take a plane to reach juneau cause it's in the middle of nowhere
*Again*
people don't post here very often do they

Kenjiblade

Smash Apprentice
No, people don't post here that often, sadly...

Yes, Juneau is quite isolated. The only way to reach it is via air or sea. :(

Anyway, if anyone comes into contact with Derek, can you tell him to post here? Thanks a bunch!

Heck, for all I know, maybe he's given up Smash by now...but hopefully not.

Lunaris

Smash Ace
I'm still alive, and I'm still willing and desiring to play smash. Unfortunately my current environment sort of prevents me from doing so, but I'm working on calling Carlos(Testament to the uninitiated) over for some practice. I haven't played the game in months, except for a few hours every few weeks(if that), but with practice I could get back to where I was and hopefully beyond. Maybe we can get something together :O

but the original problem with organizing a tournament still exists, which was the lack of a location to host it at. =/

oh and yeah, regrettably im still in the same place

EDIT: OMG!!?!?!?!?!!? TEFLON PLAYZ SMASDHHHHHHH!?!!!!!!?...?

OMG I MISS THIS GAME. i miss everyone down in the lower 48, i miss going places... i'm nostalgic these days :/

Kenjiblade

Smash Apprentice
Dude, Derek...You gotta tell me if you're planning on going to a tournament in the lower 48 anytime in 2006. I've got a friend who is a TSA scanner (or is starting), so I can fly down south for free. This friend is incidentally also a Smash player, so both of us should be able to go.

Also, I'd like a rematch to see if I've made any real progress with my Luigi ;) ; my WD'ing is quite a bit more accurate now, and I've been working to tighten up my play as much as possible.

Oh, and if you ever work out the complications of a location for a tournament in Anchorage, be sure to let me know (either here or AIM; this is more reliable, as I rarely use AIM). As long as it's planned out a good month or two in advance, Matt and I would very likely be able to attend.

Lunaris

Smash Ace
yeah, will do. i dont know if i plan on going to any; i have no idea what one i would go to if i did.

maybe someone reading this thread can give me an idea of a good big tournament to go to? i'll probably be horrible but i'd enjoy meeting some of the people who went to TGs.

what's your name, funkmaster? since you've played smash with me before i'm assuming you live in anchorage.

anybody else still here?

ps: i'm emailing always_default now. hopefully he's still interested.

to duckmurderer, if you're still here, i hope you bring us competition :) in order to revive Anchorage smash and have a community prepared for smash revolution we'll need it.

FunkMaster

Smash Journeyman
i'm sure you wouldn't know my name but i was the noob at the vgc at dimond with the short hair and glasses. i think. i was always falco, pretty much. my name-arthur FUNK

Nightsever

Smash Rookie
Sup everyone, just joined the forums, and don't know much about what tourney's go on in Alaska. I would like to play smash against some of the more skilled players out there as some of my close friends don't offer me much challenge anymore =(. Used to play Ice Climbers, switched to Fox. I want to say I'm really good at the game, but I guess I can't really say yet. Anyways, What kinda tournaments are offered in Alaska (preferably at or near Anchorage) if any? Any input would be appreciated, thanks ^^

,Nightsever

Lunaris

Smash Ace
Very few. Where do you live?(nightsever)

Mostly they've been hosted by stores, if a fan-based one comes up it'll probably be hosted by me. But I've never been able to find a location to host it, so I don't know if it's going to happen. Mostly we just have smashfests, where a bunch of people just gathered at my house and played smash for hours on end. =/ It was fun, but I think some people need a tournament environment to drive their competitiveness(ie they need a realistic motivation to get better, and getting better for the sake of getting better isn't enough).

Maybe I can find something someday =/

In case you're concerned though, pretty much all of us are very interested in getting a tournament going.

edit: and yes, i remember you arthur. :)

Nightsever

Smash Rookie
I live in Anchorage close to East High, but ya, would be awesome if we could get some kinda tournament environment setup. If we can't setup one like that, it'd be cool to meet up with some of the smash players here in anchorage for a smashfest =). I'll check up on here regularly to see if anyone's hosting anything

,Nightsever

GigaZapCannon

Smash Cadet
Hey, I live in Cordova AK. My friend Jordan said he played you a long time ago.
He played as Ness and Link.

Him and I are about evenly matched; he says he's gotten a lot better since he visited you.

I play as Fox and Samus.

Duckmurderer

Smash Cadet
Message Directed to: Lunaris

P.S. (from Duckmurderer): I hope I can bring some competition back into the Anchorage smash community, but I still need a tad bit more practice for that ^_^. Also, I might be able to organize our little fest at my place, But that's up to higher powers.

Always_Default

Smash Journeyman
It'd be cool to get some regaular smash going, but I have a DDF tournament this weekend, that and upcoming finals make it look unlikely for this weekend. And do to parents, I usually can't do stuff on weekdays. But I'm looking forward to trying not to get 4-stocked next time./bump

Kenjiblade

Smash Apprentice
Derek: I had a short little Smash session (well, it was a few sessions during a LAN Party), and got to play Bryan, the accursed Falco player that has been out of practice due to college for months.

I played his Falco, Marth, and Link. Destroyed all of them with Luigi, although the Falco matchup was a little close (the others...not so much). This was some definite progress on my part, and tended to piss him off; after all, he was quite complacent with being able to beat me on a regular basis about a year ago.

So, who did he ultimately use to beat me? Young Link and Jigglypuff.

Do you have any suggestions for counter-strategies? It may have just been that my timing was off the whole match, but I had a lot of trouble connecting hits against the 'puff; Young Link was a fluke, I swear it! :D

Everyone else (including Derek): Keep the Alaskan Smash community alive! Although I may never play against many of you, I'll try to fly up to Anchorage at some point (likely during the summer).

Kenjiblade

Smash Apprentice
I feel a little old. 19, turning 20 at the end of the month. >_<

In any case, I've been having Smash sessions at least twice a week lately, which is definitely helping my game. Luigi/Link/Falco are continuing to get more solid...IMHO, anyway.

FunkMaster

Smash Journeyman
i think there's something wrong with me. i play the game whenever i can. i can't stop.
hey does anybody who has a cat turn their cat's ears inside out? or is it just some weird
thing that only i do?
*edit*
never mind i use are falco, bowser, doc, marth, and ness.
i don't know why

Kenjiblade

Smash Apprentice
I don't play it all the time, but I do play it a fairly unhealthy amount (2 hours/day guaranteed).

When I had a cat, I did that too...Fun, but pissed my cat(s) off.

Lunaris

Smash Ace
)%#_@%_#. I didn't check this board all this week, and didn't see your post. The only day I would have been able to do something was saturday =( or friday. Any chance for next week, though? I should be free then.

sigma

Smash Cadet
sweet, i fanally found some poepls in anchorage alaska... and by the way i am probably the youngest one here, i am 14 (ninth grade).

Top Bottom