• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

'V'

Smash Lord
Hey, guys!! Louisiana is hosting a big tournament called the South Louisiana Major (SLAM 2017) on April 1st (not an April Fool's joke) and we want you guys to come out and play. We have both Melee and Smash 4 here both with a $200 and $300 Pot Bonus respectively. We also have pot bonuses for other games such as SFV and KoFXIV totaling to about $2,000 so far (there will be more to come). We have a good hotel with good space and good food in the area as well. There are also a good number of players that will offer up possible housing. Let us know if you're interested!! Hope to see y'all there!!

Smashboards thread: https://smashboards.com/threads/apr...7-2-000-in-pot-bonuses-baton-rouge-la.444811/

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/events/178...09509/?notif_t=like&notif_id=1484336989315425

Smash.gg registration: https://smash.gg/tournament/south-louisiana-major-2017-slam-2017/details

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
This chat is moving so fast no one will notice.. no one will notice. :crying:

Last edited:

smbmaster99MFGG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
smbmaster99
regionals and majors are going to adapt to this new ruleset. While I'm not exactly in agreement with stuff that this new ruleset has on it, our state would be doing those of us who travel or want to travel a disservice and improperly preparing us for these events if we didn't abide by it.

DarkOreoMaster

Smash Rookie
Does anyone know where I can find information for Bring it On this weekend? All I need is to know the schedule, events, and fees.

TigerWalk

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'm a player in Alabama who's looking for places to play at. Me and my friend REALLY want to get into the scene and we don't know where to go. Alabama please help:ohwell:

Possom

Smash Cadet
Well you aren't in the best spot but there are tournaments in Birmingham and we also have a scene here in Troy, that's where I am. Which game do you play?

TigerWalk

Smash Rookie
Possom Possom I play smash 4. But I'm also trying to get better with melee. But smash 4 is my
main game that I love. When are tournaments and stuff. Again thank you so much for responding and helping

smbmaster99MFGG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
smbmaster99
Possom Possom I play smash 4. But I'm also trying to get better with melee. But smash 4 is my
main game that I love. When are tournaments and stuff. Again thank you so much for responding and helping
If you're willing to travel, we got...

• Birmingham Brawl - usually on the 4th Saturday of every month at 926 Oak Grove Rd, Birmingham, AL 35209-6916
  • Huntsville Area Smash League - usually on the 3rd Saturday of every month at the University of Alabama in Huntsville in the Charger Union
  • Magic City Smash - Bi-weekly on the 1st and 3rd Sundays of every month, though it's occasionally moved to Saturday. It's located at the University of Alabama in Birmingham in Heritage Hall
  • Bring it On - I've not been to this one yet so i'm not as familiar with the details on it but you can find it at the University of Alabama in the Ferguson Student Center, Tuscaloosa, 35401

TigerWalk

Smash Rookie
If you're willing to travel, we got...

• Birmingham Brawl - usually on the 4th Saturday of every month at 926 Oak Grove Rd, Birmingham, AL 35209-6916
  • Huntsville Area Smash League - usually on the 3rd Saturday of every month at the University of Alabama in Huntsville in the Charger Union
  • Magic City Smash - Bi-weekly on the 1st and 3rd Sundays of every month, though it's occasionally moved to Saturday. It's located at the University of Alabama in Birmingham in Heritage Hall
  • Bring it On - I've not been to this one yet so i'm not as familiar with the details on it but you can find it at the University of Alabama in the Ferguson Student Center, Tuscaloosa, 35401
I'm definitely willing. Do all of them have every game?

LilBigham

Smash Cadet
Most of them have both Melee and Smash 4, along with Project M if I'm not mistaken. For more information on stuff like this I would recommend the Discord above since not a lot of people use Smashboards anymore

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue

Smash.gg
Smashboards
Facebook Link

Welcome to Donut Dub 4, the first entry in the Kennis Six Championship Series and the finale to our signature Donut Dub series from 2016!

Featuring Smash 4 and Melee, Donut Dub returns as the ultimate Kennis Six event, with our crew battle bracket... Championship Edition! We're throwing a $100 winner-take-all pot prize for BOTH Smash 4 and Melee crews.

Is your crew the best? Are you? The Kennis Six Championship Series begins!

DATE AND LOCATION:
Date: April 22, 2017
Location: Winthrop University, DiGorgio Campus Center--2020 Alumni Dr, Rock Hill, SC 29733, USA

HOTEL:
The Inn At Winthrop is a hotel & lodge right on the campus of Winthrop University... not too far from the venue location! Only $89 a night. Please let us know at least a week in advance if you will be using these facilities so we may confirm your reservations!

https://www.winthrop.edu/inn/

EVENTS:
- Smash 4 Singles
- Smash 4 Doubles
- Smash 4 Crews
- Melee Singles
- Melee Doubles
- Melee Crews

- Online payment and pre-registration is mandatory. Emergency late registration will be penalized by and additional fee. Seeding will not be prioritized for late registrees.
- Payment done via https://smash.gg/tournament/donut-dub-4
- Pre-registration closes April 20th, 2017

PRICES:
Pre-Registration: $10
Late/At Door Registration: $15
Smash 4 and Melee Singles: $10
Smash 4 and Melee Doubles: $6 ($3 per person)
Smash 4 and Melee Crews $1

POT DISTRIBUTION:
Smash 4 and Melee Singles:
1st - 50%
2nd - 25%
3rd - 12%
4th - 7%
5th - 2%
5th - 2%
7th - 1%
7th - 1%

Smash 4 and Melee Doubles:
1st - 60%
2nd - 30%
3rd - 10%

Smash 4 and Melee Crews:
$100 winner-take-all

SCHEDULE:
TBD

STREAM:
TBD
TBD

Follow The Kennis Six on Facebook and mark yourself as "going" or "interested" the Donut Dub 4 Facebook event page (linked above) for updates regarding the event and the rest of the Kennis Six Championship Series!​

righteousrook73

Smash Rookie
NNID
righteousrook73
Since this thread is more or less dead, I think it'd be a good idea for whoever is in charge to update it with the Alabama Smash and Alabama Smash 4 Discord links. It might attract a new player or two if they see it, since that's where our scene pretty much lives now.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Moogle is update king, just provide him with link and he'll do it. He's been quite good at keeping that first page on point since way back

Talon_Reiif

Smash Rookie
Hello, I just recently joined the smashboards (been a smash fan for a long time, haha), and I was wondering:
What events [big, small, etc.] are there in AL? I reside in the northern-central parts of the state, but I can be slightly flexible in where to go.
I play Smash 4 and Brawl mostly. I used to play Melee, but that was a long time ago.
I've never been to a Smash event, so I would like a run-down in rules and such (do I need to bring my own controller, how to register, etc.). Or, if there is a reference I can use to learn the rules, where can I find it? [Never mind, I found the rulesets page.]. However, where is the ruleset for Smash4? It seemed there was a lack of one.

Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited:

smbmaster99MFGG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
smbmaster99
There's HASL/vsHSV in Huntsville, at UAH, usually located in the Charger Union unless stated otherwise on its facebook page. It's on the 3rd Saturday of every month. Smash 4 starts at roughly 5 PM

Birmingham Brawl is on the 4th Saturday of every month, but it's on hiatus until May or June unless i'm mistaken? The venue is at 926 Oak Grove Rd, Birmingham, AL 35209-6916. Smash 4 starts at roughly 5 PM last i attended one.

Magic City Smash in Birmingham at UAB in Heritage Hall, on the first and third sunday of each month. It too is on hiatus however until Birmingham Brawl starts back up iirc. Smash 4 starts at 4 PM, or at least it did last time i attended.

You should bring your own controller, but some events will offer spares to be rented for a small charge. However not all tournaments do this, so you're encouraged to bring your own controller. To register for a tournament, just arrive any time before the tournament is supposed to start. Tournaments will almost always start about 30 minutes late so that the TO's can build the bracket(s). If you want to register, locate the TO and tell them what you wish to register for, and put your name down and what game you're there to play, and pay the fee. They'll take care of the rest.

As for rules, the following is the Birmingham Brawl ruleset, but it's pretty much enforced in the rest of the big Alabama tournaments:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_bsOW0kzpJTYInX43U4xAwOxlPUtWPGoaajPUUOfYoU/edit

100AngryTurtles

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AngryTurtles
Hello, I just recently joined the smashboards (been a smash fan for a long time, haha), and I was wondering:
What events [big, small, etc.] are there in AL? I reside in the northern-central parts of the state, but I can be slightly flexible in where to go.
I play Smash 4 and Brawl mostly. I used to play Melee, but that was a long time ago.
I've never been to a Smash event, so I would like a run-down in rules and such (do I need to bring my own controller, how to register, etc.). Or, if there is a reference I can use to learn the rules, where can I find it? [Never mind, I found the rulesets page.]. However, where is the ruleset for Smash4? It seemed there was a lack of one.

Thank you very much in advance.
I highly encourage you to join the Alabama Smash 4 Discord server! Here you will find any additional info that you need and people willing to play, talk, and just have a good time.

https://discord.gg/3nfEa

Talon_Reiif

Smash Rookie
Thank you both for the informative responds. I do have my own controller, so I'm good on that end.
It's a shame a couple of the seemingly bigger events are on hiatus, and I just missed the UAH smash event, but I guess that just gives me more time to practice, so it's not that big a deal.
Two more question: are there entry fees for the events that were listed? and;
Are there any prerequisites for entering HASL/vsHSV? (which I did just a bit of research on just now)

Lastly, I did join the Discord, not too long ago. My username is exactly the same on Discord as here.

EDIT: Read the ruleset, just one random question. Why is Sheik/Game and Watch a banned team set up?

Last edited:

100AngryTurtles

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AngryTurtles
Thank you both for the informative responds. I do have my own controller, so I'm good on that end.
It's a shame a couple of the seemingly bigger events are on hiatus, and I just missed the UAH smash event, but I guess that just gives me more time to practice, so it's not that big a deal.
Two more question: are there entry fees for the events that were listed? and;
Are there any prerequisites for entering HASL/vsHSV? (which I did just a bit of research on just now)

Lastly, I did join the Discord, not too long ago. My username is exactly the same on Discord as here.

EDIT: Read the ruleset, just one random question. Why is Sheik/Game and Watch a banned team set up?
There are actually 2 discords. One which is the official "Alabama Smash Discord" and one that is the "Alabama Smash 4 Discord". You joined the former, but I highly recommend you join the latter. Both discords are great, but the latter is much more Smash 4 focused. Also this thread is mostly dead because everyone has moved on to communicating through discord. We talk there daily and would love to have you. This link will expire in 24 hours from this post so PM me if you don't join in time: https://discord.gg/3nfEa

All of the events that I'm aware of have a $5 entry fee per event. So singles would be $5 per person and doubles would be $10 per team. There are no prerequisites for joining a tournament. Just try to get there at least 30 minutes before the event starts and find the TO (Tournament Operator, aka the guy in charge). There should be a desk or a guy with a laptop that will indicate that he is the TO. If you can't find him then just ask around and most people would love to help. Once you find the TO just tell him what events you want to enter and pay him $5 per event. You will be entered into the bracket and now you are free to do whatever you want until the tournament starts. I would highly recommend playing friendlies with anyone you can (make sure the setups you are using aren't currently being used for tournament). We are a friendly group. If you get destroyed by someone then don't lose heart. Any good player will tell you that the number 1 way to improve is through entering tournaments constantly and playing friendlies. If you are significantly better than your opponent then try being helpful and give advice. If you have any other questions feel free to ask here or on the discord (although I'd recommend joining the discord I linked you. We are very friendly).

Last edited:

Chessmaster

Smash Rookie
So glad to see that northern Alabama isn't extinct of competitive smash players
-my best friend and I are attending UAH in the fall, can't wait to see what competition we can face
-we do smash 4, but love to spectate melee as well
This is the best news I've had all day

Top Bottom