• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

NNID
MasterIcarus7
]
Hey guys, I'm new here in Alabama. Can I get any hints on where to find Smash 4 events?
In Huntsville they have smash 4 monthlies, plus pm and Melee. Although they are taking a break until December, they have Birmingham brawl in homewood. In mobile, they have the Hidden Power monthlies. Those are the main 3. And mayb BIO but I don't know when the next one is.

j00t

Smash Champion
I need to play PM so I can prevent people from coming to vsHSV and taking our money :x

Will_

Smash Journeyman
Do I have to pre reg for Tipped Off? Thinking of going if I can squeeze it in between work.

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
I should register for TO as well. Also for the guy who asked about Alabama tournaments; go to the very first post on this thread. It's ipdated with tournaments

NNID
MasterIcarus7

Sweaters

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I should be hosting it on December 12th, I'll keep you guys updated. Only problem with that is I'm pretty sure I'll also be taking the ACT on that day so I'll need to figure out who's gonna run sign ups until I get there.

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
Good luck on your ACTs!

Also I wrote like a small article/exposition on the top 5 in AL in tr4sh. Would anyone be interested in seeing it and what is Arkaiser's real name

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
  • The King

Luis “TheReflexWonder” Torres

Reflex is the undisputed best in Alabama. Having never dropped a set since Smash4’s release in the state, he is almost guaranteed to win any tournament he enters here. Reflex also has a strong national showing as he has recently gotten 5th at MLG New Orleans as well many other first place finishes at a numerous amounts of locals.

Reflex is an oddball when it comes to character selection. Luis mains Wario and does so very efficiently. His game knowledge far surpasses anyone in the state and that alone allows him to have a multitude of characters to use at earlier phases of brackets and sometimes deeper into as well. Reflex also gets a lot of joy from playing and just learning about the game as he collects frame data and uploads very short and precise videos to YouTube that contain tons of information. These qualities will keep him at the top of not only Alabama but also Georgia for a long time.

Luis has a background in Brawl as well as Project M where he has mained Wario in Brawl and had the best Pokemon Trainer. Even while just using Pokemon he was a forced to be reckoned with on the national level. Once again Reflex’s overall game knowledge carries him very far as he can always select the best option with any of his characters.

• The Triangle

Ben “Spade” Kirk

Huntsville is very much so the dominant region in Alabama and the next four players all hail from this region. Going by facts Spade is the Rocket City’s best Smash 4 player. Spade has played all Smash games since Melee on a competitive level and has always shown that he is a threat and that losing is not an option for him. He has many first place victories over all four games. He has a very “Leffen”-ish style of play and his tech skill is always on point.

Spade has no true go to character. From Melee to Smash 4 he has mained different characters in all games. In Melee he had Samus, in Brawl he had Marth, Project M there was Link, and now in Smash 4 he uses Captain Falcon. With an array of playstyles and many secondary characters coupled with his ability to learn over time how to beat people into submission Spade can always be a favorite to win any Alabama tournament.

While he is a strong force, Spade does struggle slightly with newer match ups and newer players. Spade, in a way, holds himself in high regards and hates losing. He can occasionally misjudge skill levels and not prepare himself enough for a match and drop a set. Let it be known that this will only happen once. You can rewrite an old phrase just for Ben and have it say “fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, and **** you too.”

Dan “DanGR” Robertson

Dan is the man who has no limit on what he can do. This highly skilled player, similar to Spade, will not lose to cheese more than once. Dan’s background in Brawl as well as other competitive multiplayer games takes him far as he is able to dissect playstyles and patterns and find his own victories. Dan also has many first place victories under his belt and he has no plans to stop adding notches now!

DanGR has always had a slow, methodical style of play. Back in the golden Brawl days, Daniel mained Olimar and forced his opponents into bad plays and took advantage of them with his superior levels of thinking. The transition to Smash 4 kept the same playstyle as he picked up RosaLuma and continues to threaten the scene. Dan has also expanded his playstyle and picked up Kirby and Mii Brawler to add to his roster and also adding in a mix of aggression to his bag of tricks.

You can often find DanGR labbing it up in training mode. While Spade can be said to be the most skilled, DanGR can be said to have the most knowledge. Dan has a M2K style of lab where he likes to know exact percents where things work. For Dan, knowing when your options stop working takes away the risk mid match of trying a dulled out option. His precision and reaction time in game should never be forgotten as a single misspaced aerial can cost you a stock against this intelligent player.

Will “Will_” Brandofino

If you could combine DanGR and Spade you would get Will_. Will has good knowledge and skill and his well-balanced playstyle reflects his well-balanced character choices. Currently holding the best win/attendance ratio, Will_ has an upbeat attitude and the determination to win is unrivaled. The strongest trait of Will is his love for aggressive playstyles. Whether he’s playing a fast or slow character Will_ will always try to be in your face forcing you to weigh your choices quickly.

Not deviating from the others, Will_ has a background in Brawl as well. Unlike Spade, Will has kept his mains of Donkey Kong and Mario in Smash 4. Although Mario has surpassed DK as the go to character for Will, he still is not afraid to go for heavy hits. With an in-your-face playstyle will knows the ins and outs of his characters frame data and will gladly give you advice on how to improve.

Will_ has been well versed in any game he plays. Never one to let others have the upper hand, Will always knows how to play at top level. Professional Gamer Will Underscore’s biggest downfall will tragically be his love of agro play. Sometimes his intelligence falls behind his hard hitting play style and he lets himself fall into auto-pilot mode. Overall Will_ when he keeps himself in check can always be a favorite to destroy any bracket he is put into.

• The Outlier

Josh “Mahgnittoc” Cottingham

While currently ranked 3rd best in Alabama, this is the only player in the top 5 who doesn’t have a HASL victory. While he can go elsewhere and take wins he struggles to do it on home turf. After taking that fact into account he also seems to be a sort of gatekeeper. When Reflex first came to a HASL event, it was Mahgnittoc who took him and Kismet down to the last game and the last hit.

Mahgnittoc’s play style relies heavily on game feel. He would prefer to play the game and learn from different situations instead of learning combos from training mode. His ability to adapt from Game 1 to Game 3 is good but often falls into a rut. Mahg also struggles with being too headstrong and after becoming frustrated he won’t change up his tactics. Even with these flaws he does have multiple non-HASL victories and has consistently placed well out of state- something the other 3 have failed to even try. He is a true Diddy Kong main and has kept with his character from the start of Brawl on into Smash 4.

Even as a true Diddy main, Mahg has always played a large amount of low tier characters. He has said that “Diddy is easy because he’s top tier. Playing ‘bad’ characters helps develop my Diddy because it forces me to focus on good options.” While not being a person who normally goes to the lab, Mahg has been known to pull out his fair share of oddball tactics that are unique to his playstyle. This helps in against the other players who are considered to be in the “triangle” of HASL as he has the potential to beat all three of them.

• The Rookie

“Arkaizer”

Arkaizer is a new face to the Alabama scene. The Metaknight main has come to a few tournaments and has beaten three of the top five and has even taken a victory at HASL. Before that win, the newcomer didn’t even own a Wii U. His dedication to the game will lead him to have a bright future in the scene as he continues to improve.

Currently, the kid has yet to defeat TheReflexWonder and Mahgnittoc. His first entry into the scene at HASLfest 10 did not go as smoothly as he would have hoped. Returning to HASLfest 11 Arkaizer went on to defeat Will_, Spade, and DanGR and winning the entire tournament. Soon after he had his chance to face Mahgnittoc and Reflex but so far has failed to get victories over them.

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
tell me what you think. I've been thinking about writing for awhile. I'll eventually add an intro explaining the triangle and some more stuff but now I think it's a good first draft

Sweaters

Smash Journeyman
So what's Alabama doing for pm crew battle at tipped off
Well who all is going to be there? Here's who I know is going now Moogle, Keno (Russ/Cheap), Power, Zoma, Shenanigans, and Dron I don't know what other good PM players are going to be there from bama. Edit: More good players include Ninkendo, Anime, and Reflex.

Last edited:
Top Bottom