• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
50+ in attendance?

Y'all might convince me to come outta retirement (again.)

Last edited:

j00t

Smash Champion
As I said yesterday, Smash 4 is being cancelled for BIO 6 UNLESS, the day of there happens to be enough setups. If it stays cancelled then we're going to do a PM free for all stamina mode tournament in it's place
Don't forget the Mega Turbo part of that

j00t

Smash Champion
We're in Pensacola defending our honor as best in AL. Sorry boys but we'll make you proud :)

HsvASL

Smash Cadet
We're happy to announce a less serious tournament for our next event. On February 21st we're going to have a small amiibo side tournament! This won't be your standard tournament though - in addition to beating all the amiibos - we'll also be awarding the person with the "best dressed" amiibo!

We will start the amiibo tournament at 1PM and it will be on-going throughout the other tournaments. The best dressed amiibo award will be chosen by the viewers both on online and live at the event. We will polling available online and in person. No entry fee or prize pools - but you must pre-register to enter this tournament! http://bit.ly/hasl-amiibo.

Here are the rules: http://bit.ly/amiibo-rules

We will mirror our Smash 4 Wii U ruleset (mostly) except for this first amiibo tournament we'll be doing only Omega mode stages. It will be run like a normal bracket - but with amiibos.

rolfcopter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BabySteps
Tbh u shouldn't be ranked in alabama if u haven't made it out of pools at a major

Alabama shouldn't have a pr cuz everybody blows

J00ts falcon makes me rock hard

I want moogle to be the best man at my wedding

Rag paused and I made him take two stocks

U think u know rag

U don't know rag

j00t

Smash Champion
Tbh u shouldn't be ranked in alabama if u haven't made it out of pools at a major

Alabama shouldn't have a pr cuz everybody blows
So... I made it to top 32 at BH3. Does that count or is that too old now? :(

And yes we all suck. I lost to a ****ING BOWSER. ARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

But we're doing what we can to get better and a PR is a means to accomplish that

rolfcopter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BabySteps
So... I made it to top 32 at BH3. Does that count or is that too old now? :(

And yes we all suck. I lost to a ****ING BOWSER. ARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

But we're doing what we can to get better and a PR is a means to accomplish that
thanks for coming down to the mcmansion homey

ur hella good and everyone loved watching ur falcon its so crisp

u and moogle proved your spots on the PR

alabama is getting better and soon we're gonna be piping out everybody

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Its saddening. Guess its back to melee then.

I'm looking into a B'ham venue for smash4/melee/PM, so fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Dron

Smash Apprentice
no reason to ditch a game just because one channel decided to stop streaming it

just play and host whatever game you want

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I mean we can play a game individually, even competitively people still play third strike too. but the scene and metagame development will more or less die without major support from the community, which these days seems to flow through the "e-sports" arena. and VGBC is pretty much our number 1 channel for professional smash right now, and no other officially sponsored channels/events are likely to have project M either. but maybe the underground can keep the game alive.

Dron

Smash Apprentice
PM will be alive as long as people are playing it and supporting it, and the only way it'll die is if that stops happening

it was pretty much guaranteed to see exclusion on the big stage once Smash got enough presence in the esports world, so if this kind of stage is what PM needs to stay relevant, then I guess it was doomed from the start

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Weren't there chapters in history where smash in general got no spotlight at all, but people kept playing it?

I don't think whether the game is streamed or hyped matters as much as people enjoying playing it.

If PM dies it will be because people enjoy playing the other ones more. Which might end up being the case, I enjoy Melee and Smash 4 more than PM.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Oh, I'll still play it alright, it just wont be my main focus for competition. I listed it in the events I was interested in hosting.

As for the venue, the lady who I know (who is in charge) wasnt there today when I dropped by, but another lady said it's entirely likely that I could hold such an event.

Hopefully being a past employee and knowing the person fully in charge will help. lol

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Just in the event that all of Mobile can't make it to Auburn, I think Keno/Zylo should try and swing by HP monthly before the end of April.

I'd go down to see if I could still take home a title in sm4sh but it would be no fun if there isn't a scene that is happy with the game down there.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Weren't there chapters in history where smash in general got no spotlight at all, but people kept playing it?

I don't think whether the game is streamed or hyped matters as much as people enjoying playing it.

If PM dies it will be because people enjoy playing the other ones more. Which might end up being the case, I enjoy Melee and Smash 4 more than PM.
well smash started as an underground scene, but the scene never really exploded until MLG became a thing.

i am not implying that everyone all over the world is just going to stop playing the game, but with no support and no growing community, it's likely the scene will plateau and eventually die down or become stagnant like so many other games that once had thriving scenes.
this almost happened to melee after it was dropped from MLG and brawl came out, and yes hype and videos and streams are what brought it back. some people claim the hype surrounding 'Match 4' and the subsequent video of it singlehandedly reinvigorated the Melee scene (the tournament where that match happened was literally called 'Revival of Melee'). but of course there were also things like wombo combo and the rise of mango that made people want to play again.

but I really don't expect Smash 4 to last very long as a major competitive title, unless Nintendo specifically goes hard in promoting and sponsoring tournaments for it, so if that happens the community may revert to melee and project m and perhaps a sequel to project m.

Last edited:

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
Support HASL. Make the dreams of your big smash stream come true.

But there will be people who drop the game, but if tournies that aren't being Nintendo sponsored are having the game as a big event and streaming it, show your support. There's no reason for the game to die.

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
Just in the event that all of Mobile can't make it to Auburn, I think Keno/Zylo should try and swing by HP monthly before the end of April.

I'd go down to see if I could still take home a title in sm4sh but it would be no fun if there isn't a scene that is happy with the game down there.
I could probably go to the May one because I think I'll be back in Louisiana, but I can't commit to a 4 hour drive home on a Sunday when I have classes on Monday.

HsvASL

Smash Cadet
We're happy to announce a less serious tournament for our next event. On February 21st we're going to have a small amiibo side tournament! This won't be your standard tournament though - in addition to beating all the amiibos - we'll also be awarding the person with the "best dressed" amiibo!

We will start the amiibo tournament at 1PM and it will be on-going throughout the other tournaments. The best dressed amiibo award will be chosen by the viewers both on online and live at the event. We will polling available online and in person. No entry fee or prize pools - but you must pre-register to enter this tournament! Register here!

Here are the rules!

jv3x3

Smash Champion
Yo all. I am working with a convention in your area.

So if anyone lives in southern Alabama and is interested in going to the Pensacon Comic Con I have a few $75 weekend passes I can give away in exchange for someone bringing a Smash 4 setup for the Smash 4 tournament there (Wii U, Smash 4 Disc, Gamecube controller adapter). Your setup will be kept safe and the convention folks will be responsible for making sure you get it back after the tournament wraps up. They just only own a couple and need more to run a proper tournament

Convention details here http://pensacon.com/ . Smash 4/Other game tournament details here http://supercon2k.com/supercon-2k-series-pensacon/

Passes are on a first come first serve basis. I only need a couple more setups here. So if anyone is interested (and by that I mean you 100% will go and bring a setup if you get a pass) shoot me a pm with your full name and email address (convention guys need that info to make up your badge for the weekend).

Any questions let me know. And lend me your weather fellas. Its -6 in michigan :(

Zylo

Smash Journeyman

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
Yo all. I am working with a convention in your area.

So if anyone lives in southern Alabama and is interested in going to the Pensacon Comic Con I have a few $75 weekend passes I can give away in exchange for someone bringing a Smash 4 setup for the Smash 4 tournament there (Wii U, Smash 4 Disc, Gamecube controller adapter). Your setup will be kept safe and the convention folks will be responsible for making sure you get it back after the tournament wraps up. They just only own a couple and need more to run a proper tournament

Convention details here http://pensacon.com/ . Smash 4/Other game tournament details here http://supercon2k.com/supercon-2k-series-pensacon/

Passes are on a first come first serve basis. I only need a couple more setups here. So if anyone is interested (and by that I mean you 100% will go and bring a setup if you get a pass) shoot me a pm with your full name and email address (convention guys need that info to make up your badge for the weekend).

Any questions let me know. And lend me your weather fellas. Its -6 in michigan :(
Dang, I wish you guys could have hit us up sooner. We could have helped you run it and brought plenty of stuff, but now Mobile's Crew already has plans for that weekend.

Best of luck though.

jv3x3

Smash Champion
Dang, I wish you guys could have hit us up sooner. We could have helped you run it and brought plenty of stuff, but now Mobile's Crew already has plans for that weekend.

Best of luck though.
Yea, I should have. It was just a situation where I had a few people saying they would bring setups and then they backed out. So I was left looking at a later point than I should have been.

But if anyone else or you know of anyone is interested in going to Pensacon in Pensacola, FL (just to hang out at the comic-con convention and or play in the Smash 4 tournament) and can bring a full Wii U Smash 4 setup. I can set you up with at least free entry to the smash tournament and maybe still a day pass to the convention. But I need to know by Monday.

BTW How long have you been working on Project M?

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
Yea, I should have. It was just a situation where I had a few people saying they would bring setups and then they backed out. So I was left looking at a later point than I should have been.

But if anyone else or you know of anyone is interested in going to Pensacon in Pensacola, FL (just to hang out at the comic-con convention and or play in the Smash 4 tournament) and can bring a full Wii U Smash 4 setup. I can set you up with at least free entry to the smash tournament and maybe still a day pass to the convention. But I need to know by Monday.

BTW How long have you been working on Project M?
I've been on the PMDT since around May last year.

Top Bottom