• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

imrai

Smash Apprentice
Hey, about the HiveBang thing tomorrow, if I can make it, I plan on it being my first Smash outing.
I never had a gamecube or wii, but I got the Wii U with plans on starting to be competitive with Sm4sh. Played dolphin PM, but never even held a gabecube controller, so I'm not expecting to do much besides meet people and evaluate my level.
Do I need anything besides bring the entry fee?
In about half a month, I'll be hosting another monthly tournament in Montgomery. If you don't have a controller by then and you drive down for that, I have enough spare parts to build like 6 controllers, I can totally make you one. And don't worry about money, I just want more smashers around. If you don't get to come I'll try to throw something together and send it back to Tuscaloosa for someone to give to you.

imrai

Smash Apprentice
I might want to buy one of those controllers from you in the near future dogg
that's probably something we can do. I currently have orange, purple, and black shells that are spare and any other necessary components i have several of. i have no white currently except for one back and will be ordering some platinums this weekend (unless i decide to buy a grey controller which i may do :x)

Last edited:

GKudzu

Smash Rookie
NNID
Stonewall54
3DS FC
0705-4176-5116
Hey, thanks for the tips. That's really cool of you imrai but I'll be alright. I'm planning on getting the gamecube controller setup for Smash for Wii U and the controller that comes with it, but since none of my friends play seriously I was just gonna let them use the Wii U Pro Controllers I already have. Just didn't want to buy an extra one before I had to, which I might just just to have a backup and not be a burden.

Might buy one just to mod and paint or something though, I've enjoyed stuff like that before.

imrai

Smash Apprentice
Hey, thanks for the tips. That's really cool of you imrai but I'll be alright. I'm planning on getting the gamecube controller setup for Smash for Wii U and the controller that comes with it, but since none of my friends play seriously I was just gonna let them use the Wii U Pro Controllers I already have. Just didn't want to buy an extra one before I had to, which I might just just to have a backup and not be a burden.

Might buy one just to mod and paint or something though, I've enjoyed stuff like that before.
no seriously please help get these parts out of my house the buttons are everywhere. i swear i rolled over this morning a Z button stabbed me in the back and i have no idea how it got there because i've been working on controllers in the den... but for real, it's no "burden." I want to help people like people helped me get started. that's how people in this community roll

imrai

Smash Apprentice
So, you were catching some Z's?

Or, would it be "grabbing some Z's?"
......................... damn it.
dangerously close to salty

also, who's going to dothan this weekend for CCC5? I want to do a smashfest friday night carpool saturday chill at the house saturday night/maybe sunday kinda thing if anyone's down? i can't really find people in dothan who want to hang (not yet anyway)

Last edited:

Jake The Preacher

The Amateur Preacher
How much would a custom controller made by you cost?
By the way not this Sunday, but the next, Hive Bang's gonna host a tourney with a cash prize this time if anyone's interested in going. I'll have more details as soon as I can

Last edited:

imrai

Smash Apprentice
Idk man but we can work out something fair just pm me what you think would be a decent price. Also someone please come play friendlies with me tonight ;_; you can crash here and ride with me to CCC5 tomorrow if you want. If you can't throw in for gas to Dothan that's fine I just want someone to ride along

Jake The Preacher

The Amateur Preacher
Good news for the Tuscaloosa scene, my church has plans to move to a new building and it's HUGE. My youth minister likes the idea of hosting tournaments there so we may have a new series of weeklies or bi weeklies or monthlies. I'll keep you guys posted if you have any interest in it

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
Anyone interested, there's still going to be a Smashnight in Huntsville. 2052663490 if you're in the area and are interested in coming.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
Why does it feel like Tuscaloosa has two scenes going on here? You've got the uni crew how have regular meetings, and then the other crew that plays at Hivebang. Are you guys not allowed at club things? I think it's silly to be so divided within one city.

Jake The Preacher

The Amateur Preacher
I think the UA crew doesn't entirely care for HB, I have no idea but some of them come with me to HB. And things are having a slow start back up. I'm just trying to get more going on since we're still somewhat dormant

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
It seems like the UA crew didn't know about HB. I heard about it in passing the one time I ever went. HB guys are welcome at club meetings, it's based in the school, but anyone can show up.

Jake The Preacher

The Amateur Preacher
Most guys who go to HB are either from outta town, from the underground or from the UA. It's kinda a mixed crowd there and I'm sure when word gets out about the UA group that there'll be migration between the two groups

DjTieske

Smash Rookie
Had a great time playing some PM/Melee at UAHuntsville tonight! Looking forward to connecting more with the smash scene here in Huntsville.

Rapid42

Smash Rookie
Had a great time playing some PM/Melee at UAHuntsville tonight! Looking forward to connecting more with the smash scene here in Huntsville.
I sent a message regarding those to the person listed on page 1, but didn't get a response, are those open to people who aren't students of UAH?

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
"The reasons new players lose is more because they do not have the experience/skill yet rather than a MU being stupid." --Armada

i need to internalize this because I complain about matchups way too much

in other news, i'm probably gonna drop mario if he's not more interesting after the next patch. He's pretty cool but it's clear that abusing fireballs is almost always the optimal strategy and that's dumb and not interesting. Kinda wanna main peach, she's fun ^_^

Last edited:

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
"The reasons new players lose is more because they do not have the experience/skill yet rather than a MU being stupid." --Armada

in other news, i'm probably gonna drop mario if he's not more interesting after the next patch. He's pretty cool but it's clear that abusing fireballs is almost always the optimal strategy and that's dumb and not interesting. Kinda wanna main peach, she has a booty ^_^

imrai

Smash Apprentice

in other news, i'm probably gonna drop mario if he's not more interesting after the next patch. He's pretty cool but it's clear that abusing fireballs is almost always the optimal strategy and that's dumb and not interesting. Kinda wanna main peach, she's fun ^_^
Fireballs are definitely getting nerfed pretty hard probably, so if you think that will make him more interesting then you'll probably be fine.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
So wait, is Hive Bang supposed to have a cash prize this Thursday?

Edit: Looks like it's Sunday but there's no info on it yet from re-reading thread.

Last edited:

Jake The Preacher

The Amateur Preacher
I heard that it was Sunday, but then I haven't seen a facebook page about it so I have no idea. They said it was but I don't know
Edit: Also George I'd very much like to see you there again. I'm the DK/Wolf player you and DaBomb bodied last spring. I've waned a little bit as of late and I figured playing one of the guys I've never beat would probably get me back on my feet,

Last edited:

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I think the number one thing melee and PM have over brawl is the multitude of movement options, but another thing a lot people dislike about brawl was the lack of "combos" and follow ups. what's interesting about PM though is that since at least half of the characters are floaty, (and I really don't understand how hitstun works in this game. there seems to be less hitstun in PM than in Melee?) and you still don't see too many "combos". this isn't really a bad thing, but it's something I noticed, I watch melee videos a lot for ideas to apply to PM just because the metagame is so far ahead, but the highest level melee videos no one plays super floaty characters except the very occasional peach and the one jigglypuff, so sometimes it's hard to gain insight.
late night rambles

Top Bottom