• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

Flame Blade 2

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
FIRE#119
NNID
Flame_Blade_2
3DS FC
5473-0513-9540
And we're 100% sure that the Hive's tournament for Sunday is a go?
Well, I called just a minute ago and they didn't seem to know much about it. They told me to call back tomorrow when HB opens at 2 PM when different people are there, so I don't know anything for sure.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Yeah....I didn't see anything on their facebook page at about anything at all. It really doesn't seem like there is a tournament.

And if there is, it doesnt seem well enough advertised.

moogle

Smash Ace
I want to get one together, but it's so hard to compare the whole state against each other since Mobile hasn't played H'ville in a long *** time.
I wanted to go to the Montgomery tournament on Aug 30, but other plans popped up. I think I'm going to the Tuscaloosa tournament on Sept 7. I'm definitely going to Tipped Off in Atlanta on Sept 20. I think a bunch of the Huntsville guys are going to that.

Hopefully we'll cross paths soon. :)

Flame Blade 2

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
FIRE#119
NNID
Flame_Blade_2
3DS FC
5473-0513-9540
Yeah....I didn't see anything on their facebook page at about anything at all. It really doesn't seem like there is a tournament.

And if there is, it doesnt seem well enough advertised.
They pushed it back to next Sunday, HB is reeeeeally unorganized.

I am a little, but the design is kind of ugly so w/e
I think it's pretty damn sexy, but to each their own.

NinKenDo64

Smash Apprentice
So how about I discovered these replies when I was already on the road to HB. I'm glad I listened to my gut and called them when I reached Birmingham and was able to hang with some friends because I would have been MAD salty to waste all that gas for nothing.

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
At about 8:30 tonight I'm going to make a long, detailed post about the state of Smash in Tuscaloosa. I'll cover everything I can think of, but if there's anything specifically that any of you would like me to address, feel free to let me know.

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
Alright, here we go. Topics I'm going to go over are 1: The organization of Tuscaloosa Smash 2: The tournament scene of Tuscaloosa 3: Plans for the future.

1: More and more, we're trying to organize smash on campus through our Facebook group, https://www.facebook.com/groups/1375247439415807/ This page has information on upcoming tournaments, as well as postings about smash sessions as they occur. There will be two avenues for smash sessions this semester, if all variables hold. The first will be through ABXY and Fight Night. Fight Night met last semester every Tuesday night, and they let us bring smash. ABXY met every Wednesday as well as every other Friday. As of now, neither of these clubs has started up meetings again, so these days are subject to change. The other is through the group of us who are the most active smashers on campus. We've decided that we're going to periodically host smash sessions in the main lobby of Paty Hall from time to time, most likely on the Fridays that ABXY does not meet. We test ran this last Friday, and had many people who were not even aware of the smash scene come play with us, and express interest in coming back. That brings me to my next point on organization. Up until the end of last year, our scene was extremely small, and very unorganized. We've made a strong effort to rally everyone, and we've decided that the best way to do that is to organize everything through our own Facebook page linked above. This is where we're going to be looking to grow. We MAY even decide to branch away from ABXY and form a club dedicated entirely to smash, but this is something that we have not discussed in detail that I'm sure would have dissenters. If you're interested in getting involved in the UA smash scene, I'm the person to contact. You can either message me, text me (985-789-5294), or join the Facebook group. There are others in Tuscaloosa who are dedicated to smash, but I'm the one most in charge of organization on campus at UA.

2. Right now there are two tournament series that are running this semester. We have 1) the BIO series, hosted by yours truly as well as several other UA Smash League members, and 2) the Hive Bang tournaments, hosted by the Hive Bang. I'm going to shamelessly plug our tournament series as well as talk in detail about what it's about, and then I'll address the Hive Bang tournaments.
- We started the BIO series at the end of last semester with BIO 1. We were just venturing into the land of TOing, so we wanted a relatively small tournament, so that we could test the waters. We ran melee, 3/5 bracket, $5 entry, 60/30/10 split. We had 18 people register, and it was regarded as a success. We've decided to bring back the BIO series this year, but this time, we wanted to make it a monthly series with much more to offer the tournament goers. The BIO series will run the first Sunday of every month, through December, and hopefully will continue in the Spring. The two main events we will have at every BIO are Melee Singles and PM Singles. BIO 2 (Happening September 7th!) will feature $2 entry into main events, BO3 bracket until Finals, Double Elimination, and 80/20 split. We've discussed much of the reasoning for the entry fee and weird split, and that conversation is in the tournament thread. It's certainly something we're going to experiment with. Side events will always be free to enter, and we're looking to have prizes for future side events. BIO 2 will feature Random Teammate Melee Doubles and a Draft Crew Battle. We have many ideas for future side events, such as the Bowser Challenge, Low Tier Singles, Brawl-, and others (open to suggestion!). It's going to be a great time, and I'd love to see some representation from all over Alabama. http://smashboards.com/threads/september-7th-bio-2-tuscaloosa-al.363661/
- The Hive Bang Tournaments. Many of us, especially those most involved in the scene, have little to no interest going to these tournaments. I plan on going to 1 or 2 so that I can meet more people in the scene, but as a tournament, they seem to fall short of our expectations. They are not particularly organized, feature a $10 entry with payout in the form of a T-shirt + Hours at the Hive to the winner, and run on Thursday nights. They feature PM. If they're something you're interested in, they generally post them on the ABXY pages, and they have every right to post them on the UA Smash League page. I don't think they've ever made a smashboards thread.

3. We're really looking to the BIO series to bring out the smashers in and around Tuscaloosa. Because of that, our primary concerns are going to be to the needs of the locals. That means low entrance fee, fun side events, and tournaments that work around our football schedule. Someday we plan on hosting a semi-annual Regional, but we need to boost our attendance before we can justify this. We play a lot of smash here, but those interested have not had an easy time finding us. When I started playing on campus, I only found the scene because I happened across them in one of our buildings. We are making the move to do everything publicly and frequently, and promote our Facebook page as a place solely for organizing smash (no smash discussion, no news, nothing to clog the page with anything but smashfests). To be honest, we're not that good at smash. A lot of us are new (as is the global scene as a whole). But we're dedicated, and we want to bring out higher numbers and greater skill. At as large as a university that we have, there is no excuse for not having a kickass smash scene, so that's what we're striving for. Also, we're going to form a local PR.

I think that's everything.

Last edited:

Roboturner

Smash Journeyman
let's get a MS PR while we're at it

wait...

i remember when i could ride/drive to Montgomery for tournaments, can't happen anymore :(

Last edited:

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Hey guys, may be a little early but is anyone thinking about hitting Apex up? I get back from military training soon and would totes be up for going to something big to do a self celebration and whatt not.

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
Hey guys, may be a little early but is anyone thinking about hitting Apex up? I get back from military training soon and would totes be up for going to something big to do a self celebration and whatt not.
Just get out...

If sometime soon means like 2-3 weeks I know a few of us from Huntsville are trying to go to Tipped Off. Just throwing that out there

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Possibly...

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Like September 18th late at night soon. Id be home before Tipped Off but Im going to need a few days to get myself together at home.

edit If possibky becomes a yes then Id totes be up for a carpool, Reflex. Funds wont be a prob

Last edited:

_Keno_

Smash Lord
So are there any tournaments next weekend or any nearby weekends. I've hungry for project M.

I think ImRai may have rescheduled something, but I'm unsure because I dont see facebook/smashboards events.

Top Bottom