• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Thanks for having me over Jethroo, I had a blast. Lots of good matches too. Can't wait to do a hundred more.

Maybe I should mention that time Ike knocked out Kirby off the top of Battlefield with the first hit of Aether at 0%. Pretty sure that isn't supposed to be a thing.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Baiting people to the top blastline is how every pro Ike wins

@ Metmetm3t Metmetm3t If you're coming to Birmingham on the 26th, who all is coming with you and how many spare controllers do you have?

Last edited:

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
He was about one short hop from the top platform, so it seemed a bit much to get a kill at 0%. It was quite surprising because I've never seen anything kill off the top at 0% like that ever. Good for Ike then I guess.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Don't believe I have. I'm fairly out of the loop in all things Melee. That looks even worse lol. Did he start the attack facing GW and get turned the other way as part of the glitch?

Edit- Wait this is supposed to be Flare Blade?

Last edited:

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
It took me a while to stop reflexively trying to hitstun cancel.
I'm having to get over that now among a bunch of other stuff. I've got a long ways to go, I'm only just now playing PM competitively.

Edit- I don't even really know who my main would be lol.

Last edited:

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
It's not Flare Blade or a glitch, but it's the best (IE, first) video I could find.

This one's a lot more explanatory, by the Reflex Wonder himself.

Last edited:

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
So then it's just with Blazer. Well it looks like the move starts out facing GW then turns away as soon as he leaves the ground. What's up with that. You crazy Melee. Is it some kind of reverse B tech?

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
So then it's just with Blazer. Well it looks like the move starts out facing GW then turns away as soon as he leaves the ground. What's up with that. You crazy Melee. Is it some kind of reverse B tech?
Yeah, it's just a reverse up-b. You just up-b the opposite direction you're facing, it's not too crazy.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Yeah, it's just a reverse up-b. You just up-b the opposite direction you're facing, it's not too crazy.
I was really wondering, but I didn't think that could be done on Melee for some reason. If Roy can do this on PM then I'm going to enjoy showing it to some people.

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
I was really wondering, but I didn't think that could be done on Melee for some reason. If Roy can do this on PM then I'm going to enjoy showing it to some people.
I'm pretty sure that you can. I like to do Marth's reverse up-b to get the sweetspot in melee and pm, so I don't see why it wouldn't carry over to Roy as well.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
If anyone in the Huntsville area would like a ride to the tournament in Birmingham on the 26th, please let me know. I am working with someone else to see if we can get a carpool down here.

(Also @Dirteedees )

Last edited:

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Why doesn't Georgia come to Alabama anymore? I miss Georgia.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
John you know you're not the only Georgian right? And it's not like we can just "host Brawl." The Brawl scene is weak through most of the state. Don't get so defensive. BSL wasn't calling you out.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
I mean I didn't take his post to mean anything other than what he said. Why's everybody attacking him for it lmao

My question was answered perfectly, as far as I know. If I want to see Georgia, I need to go to Auburn.

Last edited:

*Cam*

Smash Lord
John you know you're not the only Georgian right? And it's not like we can just "host Brawl." The Brawl scene is weak through most of the state. Don't get so defensive. BSL wasn't calling you out.
I don't think I was defensive in any way. BSL asked a question, and I offered an answer. I don't speak for all of GA, but I would bring a carpool of GA players to central AL tournaments if there was Brawl. I can say this because I've been taking carpools about the same distance to the Middle GA Brawl/PM tournaments at the RWM. It's up to you guys to calculate whether you think there's enough interest for Brawl overall if you think the AL Brawl scene is too weak.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
Does anyone actually expect Brawl to have much if any kind of tournament scene after Smash 4 comes out?

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Brawl is dead as **** right now.

EDIT: P:M and Melee have taken over the lands until all of what's left of the Brawl community transfers to Sm4sh.

Last edited:

*Cam*

Smash Lord
It's pretty dead in Central AL and Mobile. Auburn has the gaming club that we started, and Brawl is still popular there. Christopher has hosted several monthlies now at the RWM in Byron, GA, which consistently attract anywhere from 10-20 Middle GA Brawl players. The Atlanta area still has a reasonably good Brawl following, but people stopped hosting Atlanta tournaments for it, so it appears dead (hence me hosting Smash of Ages). Huntsville still plays both Brawl and PM, though they haven't intermingled with the rest of the tournament scene in awhile. Within their own city, they are still active--they meet twice each week to play at UAHuntsville.

Our perception of how dead Brawl is (or any other game) will always depend on what we see in our local tournament scene. HP Monthlies doesn't host Brawl because they had trouble attracting Brawl players to their tournaments. Central Alabama tournaments don't host Brawl, but I'm not as familiar with them, so I can't speak to their reasons. With these two tournament areas being the most active in the state, I'm not surprised that people think Brawl is dead. The perception would be very different if Auburn, Huntsville, or Atlanta hosted tournaments more regularly, as both have a larger local Brawl scene to attract.

If all or most of the Brawl scene switches over to Smash 4, then that's fine. However, the 3DS version won't come out until October and the WiiU version until December. I don't intend to tell Brawl players to either play PM or sit on their hands until the next game. Many still want to play before then, so I'm going to do my part to facilitate that.

Last edited:

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
it depends on your definition of "dead". i don't think anyone argues that literally nobody plays brawl. But Brawl is almost basically side-tournament status at this point. Almost zero TOs are running Brawl-only tournaments right now, because no one will come. There's no hype for the game, and everything considered "legit" or "professional" in the national community ignores it for the most part. I guess there was SKTAR but I dunno at the national level people act like the game doesn't exist. (and even at SKTAR there was like maybe a third as many entrants from Brawl as any other game. But maybe you're strictly referring to Alabama, and I can't speak for that since I haven't traveled in a long time.

Smash 4 will certainly be the premier game for at least a few months. Unless they majorly update the game since the demo, I am pretty sure that Melee will continue to be considered the tournament standard. I could still see people holding Brawl tournaments, but not to any major extent. If only because we have 5 games to choose from now, and TOs are going to go with what's the most popular (and also what the pros are playing). Anyway, Brawl is fun, but way too dumb to make sense competitively (also it's not very fun to watch, which is kind of a dealbreaker for a tournament game), I personally feel like Project M offers me everything I got out of Brawl except without being dumb. But I plan to go hard in Smash 4, just as I did in Brawl. Gonna main Lucina and try to get some easy Day 1 tournament cash lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom