• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Mad jelly Mahg, how much are you selling it for?

Edit: Are we doing results threads for the events this past weekend?

Last edited:

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Good, I've heard great things about you from the mobile crew and your results make me eager to play you. All I need now is either Rag to say he'll join the next Smash 4 event or Reflex announce he's stopping by to take the money and Id be 100% hype for the upcoming events.

NinKenDo64

Smash Apprentice
Reflex and I have been fairly active in the Georgia smash scene. I decided to take some time to learn the people and playstyles of those over in the peach state and those guys are definitely legit, especially in Melee (with SmashStudio players coming often). It's good experience, but I do miss my peeps in sweet ol' Alabama. You guys aren't nearly at each others' throats as they tend to be lol

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
But all we do is hate on each other. I even changed DanGR's tag to Dan is ugly when he beat me the first time.

And you all smell like poop

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Dark Pit's biggest advantage over Pit is that his side-b kills earlier if you hit your opponent while you're near and facing the edge of the stage. It also sends opponents offstage rather than straight up, putting you in a better positional advantage afterwards.

So basically, do you want Falcon Punch or FALCON PUNCH 2.0?- w/ less versatile arrows.

Last edited:

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
So it's Winter break for students and I'm sure the workers can put up some time to at least mull on it, 2015 is almost here and while monthlies are fun I'm wondering if TOs and players are wanting to form a game plan up to make the upcoming season pretty exciting. Like good ole AUSOM events or stopping by Georgia to wreck some faces level of exciting. Also I'm really liking where HaSL is going with their crew but to make it closer to what a streamer's main goal is (outside of like viewers I guess) we should bring more talent and players so viewers stay entertained. What do you guys think?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Mmm, you'll probably get more detailed answers about HASL and their future plans in their facebook group.

Hope_00

Smash Rookie
Does anyone know any sm4sh weeklies or tourneys near Birmingham? I have been wanting to get in on the competitive scene for years now, and now seems like the perfect time. I have been looking online for places in in Al, but they seem concentrated in Mobile or scattered too far away from me. I figure there should be a scene in B-Ham, but I can't find it looking on the web.

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
Pm me and I'll give you some bham contacts.

Saki, HASL has its events lined up. I think they're just finalizing dates now but there will be monthlies

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
Does anyone know any sm4sh weeklies or tourneys near Birmingham? I have been wanting to get in on the competitive scene for years now, and now seems like the perfect time. I have been looking online for places in in Al, but they seem concentrated in Mobile or scattered too far away from me. I figure there should be a scene in B-Ham, but I can't find it looking on the web.
Isaac is supposedly running Smash 4 at his fighting game monthly in Gardendale this weekend: https://www.facebook.com/408644082621533/

Press Start in Alabaster has put together a small Smash 4 team for fun. Typically we all get together Monday nights at the store and some of us will play outside the store depending on the week--a little far from Hayden, though. The store just had a tournament Sunday, and I think Dennis said he wants to make it a monthly thing. https://www.facebook.com/1428192624102471

Also on Mondays, people are supposedly playing at Playover Games in Ensley. I think they're on holiday hiatus right now until January 1st, though. They're called "Melee Mondays," so I'm not sure if it's supposed to be Melee only or if people have been playing Smash 4 at these. https://www.facebook.com/PlayoverGames

Also this Saturday and definitely not Smash 4, IDaGamer in Trussville is running their PM Monthly. Maybe they'll eventually pick up more than just PM. https://www.facebook.com/1573140989588313/

These Facebook groups will also be helpful to you, the first especially. https://www.facebook.com/groups/alabamasmashleague/
https://www.facebook.com/485508144918038/

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Who cares if its easy if you're winning and good at it?
You got to have fun while doing it. Degrading the challenge can make the game less fun.

as if diddy wasn't dumb in brawl lul
I know, right? When Sakurai announced during a picture of the day that he was extending the range on Diddy's tilts (and visually enbiggening his limbs) I was surprised.

HsvASL

Smash Cadet
We are HASL (Huntsville Area Smash League) and we're currently planning monthly events in Huntsville - which is about and hour and a half drive from Birmingham. Our next event is planned for late January/Early February. We're pushing it back because we don't want an event in the middle of the holidays.

We have a twitch channel http://www.twitch.tv/hsvasl as well as Facebook and Twitter. And of course we'll post all of our events here on SmashBoards and on TourneyLocator. We hope you can join us!

Last edited:

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
We are HASL (Huntsville Area Smash League) and we're currently planning monthly events in Huntsville - which is about and hour and a half drive from Birmingham. Our next event is planned for late January/Early February. We're pushing it back because we don't want an event in the middle of the holidays.

We have a twitch channel http://www.twitch.tv/hsvasl as well as Facebook and Twitter. And of course we'll post all of our events here on SmashBoards and on TourneyLocator. We hope you can join us!
I like everything I've just read.

:pow:

Roboturner

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, we just had a Melee/PM tournament today in Gautier, Mississippi, and it looks like this is gonna start to be a monthly thing. I'm gonna call the guy who owns the venue and make sure that the date is set but it looks like the next one will happen on January 9th. The venue is great, we have a lot of space and food and the venue fee will probably only be $3 just like it was today.

Once I get the confirmed date I'm going to make a Smashboards thread but I definitely want the Alabama/Pensacola crew to come out. We only had 9 entrants today but I think we can pull around ~25 if people are willing to travel. It's a brand new scene so I would love for you guys to try and make it next month!

NAFE

Smash Rookie
Anybody Know Of A project M event near B-ham going down before new year?

Last edited:

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
I doubt anyone is going to be putting anything big on during the holidays. Too many people are going to be busy and spending time with family to go to a smash thing.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Anybody Know Of A project M event near B-ham going down before new year?
You just missed the last posted event of the year which was held in Trussville. Ensley will be resuming their weeklies in Jan and Press Start may be holding more smash 4 events if turnouts continue to excel

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
I'm not getting any kind of notification for new posts on this thread regardless of what I post or how many times I come back to it. Weird.

I'm glad Press Start and IdaGamer picked up the games in Central Al. I was trying to get a good venue on the UAB campus back in the summer but ran into all kinds of obstacles. In order to rent or use a location, it had to be used by a club as part of what it was drafted for; To get a club drafted, you had to find a faculty member to sponsor it; to get a faculty member to sponsor, I had to find someone willing to meet with any number of advisers until one agreed to it. I tried to get the Anime Club to agree to it but the President they had on record hadn't even been to the school in over a year. Anyway...

I'll probably work with Jon on getting a Battle Under The Bridge event going again in same area (Morris Avenue in Birmingham) in the next few months.

Jake The Preacher

The Amateur Preacher
I'm not getting any kind of notification for new posts on this thread regardless of what I post or how many times I come back to it. Weird.

I'm glad Press Start and IdaGamer picked up the games in Central Al. I was trying to get a good venue on the UAB campus back in the summer but ran into all kinds of obstacles. In order to rent or use a location, it had to be used by a club as part of what it was drafted for; To get a club drafted, you had to find a faculty member to sponsor it; to get a faculty member to sponsor, I had to find someone willing to meet with any number of advisers until one agreed to it. I tried to get the Anime Club to agree to it but the President they had on record hadn't even been to the school in over a year. Anyway...

I'll probably work with Jon on getting a Battle Under The Bridge event going again in same area (Morris Avenue in Birmingham) in the next few months.
I saw that you put up a listing page for IDaGamer's tournaments and would like it if we could make results thread stuff for them. I've been to the last two and got second both times and plan on making it to more. Let me know if you wanna work together with working on them on the boards here

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
Honestly, those rules are no more strenuous than at any other university. Getting an advisor is actually easier than it sounds. The advisor only has to sign a paper and you never have to see him again. The point them is to be the legally responsible one if you end up running fundraisers and things like that. Ask the anime club who their sponsor is. You can probably use the same prof.

Flame Blade 2

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
FIRE#119
NNID
Flame_Blade_2
3DS FC
5473-0513-9540
I saw that you put up a listing page for IDaGamer's tournaments and would like it if we could make results thread stuff for them. I've been to the last two and got second both times and plan on making it to more. Let me know if you wanna work together with working on them on the boards here
Seconding this. Would love to win me sum points.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Based HASL with hosting an event between Kumite and Apex. Jan is going to be sooooooo hype for me

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Seconding this. Would love to win me sum points.
Chase just let me know that will get us the results from previous tournaments when he returns to work.

Last edited:

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
: ( I saw, Ima have to do some hardcore haggling to try and get just am adaptor. The ones that were supposed to ship this month never came to our stores.

HsvASL

Smash Cadet
Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to everyone! Hopefully you can take time away from Smash to spend with your family - or even better - settle it in smash WITH your family!

I just wanted to announce that we do have our dates for our January event. Our next HASLfest will be on January 17th! We're going to feature THREE Smash games this time around as well!
  • Melee - 12PM(Noon) - Ruleset
  • Project M - 3:00 PM - Ruleset
  • Smash 4 Wii U - 6:00PM - Ruleset
  • ----------------------------------------------
  • $5 entry per event
  • 60/30/10 split per event
  • Registration will open at 10:00AM and close 10 minutes before each event's start time
  • ----------------------------------------------
With three games going in one day we want to encourage everyone to be on time. If you'd like to come the night before (Friday January 16th) please PM us either here on SmashBoards or on our Facebook and we will try to help you make arrangements with a place to stay overnight. We can't guarantee anything - but we'll do our best!

We will make a Smashboards event as well as TourneyLocator post soon as well!

Thanks everyone! We hope to see you there!

Study_up

Smash Rookie
If anyone is trying to play smash 4 online sometime, get at me.
ID
TheReflexWonder
This is raf by the way. Been playing on my brother's wii u

Last edited:
Top Bottom