• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
I'd consider sticking with She Hulk. She's got some insane stuff. Basically Frame 1 invincible super that grabs anyone in the air. Some interesting relaunches. Off the walls. OTGs. I'd say take your pick of Haggar or Tron and replace one of them with either a rush down or keepaway of your choice.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
yeah she hulks actually my favorite character in the game so far. she's kind of technical though lol and we all know i'm not good at that. ill just have to practice

that air grab super is insane. its like if you're anywhere in the vicinity you're getting grabbed. like sometimes since the game forces you to air tech its unavoidable.

i think tron is clearly better, but I like haggar more. pretty sure xfactor cancel into level3 super is the best thing in the game.

i think my problem in all the vs games is I like really complex flashy combos, but really what is efficient is simple lockdowns and ABC combos into supers

like i want all my combos to include an assist, a wallbounce, a groundbounce, and an OTG lol

meanwhile dantes online are doing ABCD, j.ABCspecialsuper and half my lifebar's gone

i'm picking up ARTHUR **** it.
he seems like he sucks, but i was locking down my buddies online with him lol

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
So after all this time I hang out around here, I still scan right past this technical talk. I just want to play as the funny man in boxers and the cute doggie. Is that too much to ask?

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
yeah she hulks actually my favorite character in the game so far. she's kind of technical though lol and we all know i'm not good at that. ill just have to practice

that air grab super is insane. its like if you're anywhere in the vicinity you're getting grabbed. like sometimes since the game forces you to air tech its unavoidable.

i think tron is clearly better, but I like haggar more. pretty sure xfactor cancel into level3 super is the best thing in the game.
Calling it now, She Hulk will have an inescapable reset loop with that super.

I was playing Aloha last night, and I can't remember if I X Factor Canceled out of block into it or not, but Haggar's Level 3 just grabs everything. Like it's not safe to be anywhere near him and try anything when he has three meters (Actually there are a lot of moves like this). And thanks to the joke of a guessing game Team Aerial Combos are, building meter is ridiculously easy in this game. Supposedly you can watch the animations to react to which counter you should do. Maybe I'm not watching correctly yet.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
the only thing about the grab super is it has no range. its no Zangief/Potemkin/Tager etc. Buster in that department. but yeah if you're on the ground next to haggar you get grabbed usually no matter what you're doing. as long as i have enough frames to input my command. although for one, Weskers lvl3 super beats it. even if he's started his before you have.

where do you go to find out what everyone already knows about this game? SRK boards atm are all like WUTS UR FAVORITT COSTUME LOL

im finding out random stuff just from videos and ****

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
the top ten in the project M were all characters that were good in melee. except a random snake

i guess they're doing a good job with the game lol

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
the top ten in the project M were all characters that were good in melee. except a random snake

i guess they're doing a good job with the game lol
Well, none of the good Melee players want to lose their mains, so, of course they'll make sure those characters are good. :glare:

That, and since they have to do a lot more than just port Melee physics for the other characters, they'll naturally have a hard time striking a balance or making something neat work for the Brawl characters, so I imagine they'd rather "be safe" and make them inferior than give them something that would potentially them better. Can't risk an imbalance on the Brawl side of things when you're making it for Melee players. :rolleyes:

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i think they specifically said that broken characters from melee will still be broken, but bad melee characters are little better. But characters like ness and yoshi who were bad in melee will likely still be comparably bad in project M.

actually i would not be surprised if the brawl newcomers are quite good, since the developers of P:m basically have a blank slate to work with. i noticed there was a relatively high placing lucas in the tournament as well.
but we'll see i guess.

i would have tried the game out, but i need to acquire an SD card

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
i think they specifically said that broken characters from melee will still be broken, but bad melee characters are little better. But characters like ness and yoshi who were bad in melee will likely still be comparably bad in project M.

actually i would not be surprised if the brawl newcomers are quite good, since the developers of P:m basically have a blank slate to work with. i noticed there was a relatively high placing lucas in the tournament as well.
but we'll see i guess.

i would have tried the game out, but i need to acquire an SD card
My previous post was a slight exaggeration. Thing is, playtesting has involved many top level Melee players, and they have their own interests in mind (not just those, but, they inevitably care about their characters being awesome).

The thing about having a blank slate is, they don't want to make something that looks potentially really awesome, for fear that it will end up making the game rather imbalanced. They're making it for the players that already have good characters--No one interested wants those people overshadowed, so I imagine they'll be rather conservative with changes to the Brawl characters.

As an aside, I always thought Lucas had a lot going for him in a Melee-like way. Shield pressure with N-Air, fast/powerful everything, and a U-Air that would combo like Melee Ness/DK, among other things. That's not very surprising to me.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
Well, none of the good Melee players want to lose their mains, so, of course they'll make sure those characters are good. :glare:

That, and since they have to do a lot more than just port Melee physics for the other characters, they'll naturally have a hard time striking a balance or making something neat work for the Brawl characters, so I imagine they'd rather "be safe" and make them inferior than give them something that would potentially them better. Can't risk an imbalance on the Brawl side of things when you're making it for Melee players. :rolleyes:
yeah i kinda agree that these projects are melee biased to some extent :/

_Keno_

Smash Lord
I dunno, it seems like top melee characters are unchanged and therefore people who play them already know exactly what to do, while people playing character that were low tier or brawl are very changed and arent used to those characters since there has been no evolution of tactics for them, and so nobody knows what they are capable of yet.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I dunno, it seems like top melee characters are unchanged and therefore people who play them already know exactly what to do, while people playing character that were low tier or brawl are very changed and arent used to those characters since there has been no evolution of tactics for them, and so nobody knows what they are capable of yet.
However, in having top players work from the ground up on their characters, they're basically creating a metagame before the game is out, rather than letting it develop on their own. They're making sure that the Melee characters are really good, and there's little reason to give the Brawl ones things that may develop into being really good, because they're catering to the Melee players in the first place.

The problem is, they already know what they want the metagame to look like. That is not good for metagame growth at all.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
yeah i dont really think they care about metagame growth
they just want to make melee again

which is weird, just play melee

i mean, in a way, its sort of like an homage
but still they could be doing some real neat stuff over there, and they're just kinda tracing over a lightbox right now

Winnar

Smash Lord
This isn't the impression I'm getting from PM at all

The game is still very much in development, I don't think there's going to be any problem with metagame growth. There are a lot of characters left to be released/worked on, and there are a LOT of people giving feedback. They're good about listening to useful feedback usually in the IRC.

Lucas has a DJC. It's just like B+'s in that if you hold jump and press A then you'll do a brawl double jump aerial (rising double jump aerial), but if you let go of A before pressing A then you'll do a DJC aerial. It's somewhat neat, but a little awkward to get clean, low DJC's to work consistently.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
This isn't the impression I'm getting from PM at all

The game is still very much in development, I don't think there's going to be any problem with metagame growth. There are a lot of characters left to be released/worked on, and there are a LOT of people giving feedback. They're good about listening to useful feedback usually in the IRC.
Yes, but since they've stated that there will be no balance patches (outside of game-breaking glitches), they're going to have to be -really- careful. Good, long-lasting games rarely happen over a short amount of development time, and I wonder how well they'll get their balance before they release the full version.

Another question is, what counts as good feedback? I think everyone has their own idea of how they want the game to play like, and the conflicting interest will make it difficult to manage.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
Yoshi.

Also I just 100% mission mode in MvC3. Now to beat arcade mode on Very Hard with every character and get all the trophies.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
especially considering all the suggestions will likely be "hey make this more like melee"
yeah basically this.
most of the feedback that will be taken seriously is from melee players anyways...

i kind of felt this way about brawl plus for a while. then it kind of died. im about 99% convinced project M is gonna be the same mistake again as BB and B+.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
can you "tech chase" in mvc3?
particularly with moves that are command throws, like haggars 623M or she hulks 236H

if you predict the roll. or force the roll, can they attack you before you grab connects?

also, why does my shoruken account not work, and why wont they let me make anotherone

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
just stop ;playing mvc3 dude its not fun for me when you guys talk about things that arent brawll
just b my frannzzzzz :(

janitor?? :(

wuuut

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
can you "tech chase" in mvc3?
particularly with moves that are command throws, like haggars 623M or she hulks 236H

if you predict the roll. or force the roll, can they attack you before you grab connects?

also, why does my shoruken account not work, and why wont they let me make anotherone
I think you stay invincible all throughout your roll until returning to standing. I'm pretty sure if you roll you could just mash out DP or any invincible reversal move and beat the command throw, but a lot of characters don't really have those.

My SRK account got deleted too. I made a new one though.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Yes, but since they've stated that there will be no balance patches (outside of game-breaking glitches), they're going to have to be -really- careful. Good, long-lasting games rarely happen over a short amount of development time, and I wonder how well they'll get their balance before they release the full version.

Another question is, what counts as good feedback? I think everyone has their own idea of how they want the game to play like, and the conflicting interest will make it difficult to manage.
I'm not worried about balancing issues. The Pound V demo tourney had 10 different characters in the top 12, and 13 different characters in the top 16. Once they give me a reason to feel that the game is unbalanced or that some characters are disproportionately good/bad then I'll be right there with you.

Also, I don't know why you think PM has a short development time. I've consistently gotten the impression that they're taking their sweet, sweet time with this.

As for how you decide what input is good or bad, that seems largely arbitrary. There is extensive playtesting being done almost constantly to make sure nothing goofy makes it through to the end product. Maybe I'm misunderstanding here, but why is this a concern?

No, not at all. Most of the suggestions are for characters that weren't in melee.

O_o
also this ^^^

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
No, not at all. Most of the suggestions are for characters that weren't in melee.

O_o
well lol thats even worse. theyre going to recreate melee mechanics for all the previous characters with no one saying, hey fox was kind of broken in melee wasnt he? might want to tone it down a little if you don't want tournaments to be 90% spacies like it was in melee.

i dont know why we are trying to pretend that they're attempting to make a balanced game, they're not. they're trying to make melee. They're not looking at move properties and saying "we'll tweak this for the sake of balance", they are saying "this move was this way in melee, so we are going to make it that way again." THEY ADMIT THIS FULLY, this is the whole purpose of the project. Melee was fun, but it wasn't balanced. Making a "balanced" fighting game is nearly impossible anyway.

since this game ISN'T melee though, we'll likely see some new things popping up, new glitches etc. (assuming this even lasts, i really don't expect melee players to switch to this, much less brawl players), but they are specifically trying their best to recreate melee's mechanics and tier list. Again, this is something they fully admit.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
all brawl video commentary pisses me off.
tornado outprioritzes a move "mk so broken! soooo gay!!!!"
lucario fairs ddd in the air 3 times off stage "OHHH COMBOO VIDEO!"

this stuff happens like every game and they shouldnt be suprised if tornado outprioritzes a move that its suppose to, and that ddd can get comboed at low percents... its like.... do these kids eve play this game???? fiction did commentary once for a texas torunament or something idk. anyways he did really good comentary but other than that its always really crappy from what ive been hearing.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
tornado is a pretty silly move, and MK is a pretty silly character

lets not get it twisted.

tornado outprioritizes MANY MANY moves that it shouldnt

Winnar

Smash Lord
well lol thats even worse. theyre going to recreate melee mechanics for all the previous characters with no one saying, hey fox was kind of broken in melee wasnt he? might want to tone it down a little if you don't want tournaments to be 90% spacies like it was in melee.

i dont know why we are trying to pretend that they're attempting to make a balanced game, they're not. they're trying to make melee. They're not looking at move properties and saying "we'll tweak this for the sake of balance", they are saying "this move was this way in melee, so we are going to make it that way again." THEY ADMIT THIS FULLY, this is the whole purpose of the project. Melee was fun, but it wasn't balanced. Making a "balanced" fighting game is nearly impossible anyway.

since this game ISN'T melee though, we'll likely see some new things popping up, new glitches etc. (assuming this even lasts, i really don't expect melee players to switch to this, much less brawl players), but they are specifically trying their best to recreate melee's mechanics and tier list. Again, this is something they fully admit.
Paragraph 1 - I disagree on a fundamental level, not much to discuss I guess

Paragraphs 2 & 3 - They did that for the top Melee characters because it's the easiest way to get a bunch of melee players to give PM a shot. As they went further and further down the tier list they made more and more changes. Ganon still has his Brawl side b choke move, Game and Watch isn't a super sad story anymore, Zelda is actually good now (not a 1 move wonder), they're trying to make Link not bad... the list goes on.

As for your claim that the PM team "fully admits" to trying to recreate the Melee tier list, you are misinformed. I specifically asked Shanus, JCaesar and a few other PM devs this exact question and the response was that they wanted to make sure that the top tier Melee characters retain their depth of gameplay, but that they were also very interested in making sure that the rest of the cast is fun/viable/good. As Cheap said, it will probably be the top tier Melee characters who do best at first in PM since their metagames have been so widely explored/developed, but newer characters and characters with more changes will probably catch up quickly once people start playing more with them.

---

BY THE WAY

I bought Marvel 3 :D

Hit me up, 360 gamertag: Winnar G

---

edit:

Top Bottom