• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Power Rankings List Discussion Thread

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
So, I think the best idea that will somewhat appeal to everyone is to have a panel, but have this thread so that other players not on the panel can have their opinions heard. We don't want to be a tyranny, after all. And the panel must take this discussion into consideration when it does its list.

Use this thread to discuss placements for AL's PR list. It's pretty much a given that the list needs to be changed pretty soon, so let's talk about it.

Also, if you're on or not on the list, and you are the type that is going to get butthurt by someone saying you deserve to be lower or not on the list at all, I suggest you ignore this thread entirely.

I will also probably update this thread with recent tournament results.

Latest Power Rankings

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
First of all, thank you Janitor for making this thread. I'm not trying to start a rebellion or be a pain in the butt. I just want to discuss this before we decide. We should revisit what has happened at recent tournaments.

Brown Scourge impressed a lot of people at TCS V, but I'm not so sure he is ready to join the ranks. Don't bite my head off for saying so. He got 7th at the tournament, which is great. Looking back at past tournaments, he hasn't done so well. I would be inclined to wait and see how he does at future tournaments, and I have no doubt he would do great. Still, some may be of the persuasion that his performance against Munkus and Moogle is enough justification for being on the PR.

Cheap performed very well at TCS V and at the most recent Vulcan Gamebox. He got 13th at TCS V and 9th at Gamebox. He nearly beat Munkus in the brackets. The argument could be made for him to be added.

I looked back at Nu's performance and think he deserves to be considered, but I don't know much about him because I have never seen him play. Still, that doesn't mean he should be counted out.

Lastly, Mahgnittoc should be taken off the list this time. As far as I can tell, he has only attended one AL tournament in the last 6 months, and he got 9th at it.

These are some of the competitors hoping to get on the PR and that should be discussed.

EDIT: ShaSlam has also been doing very well lately, having gotten 13th at TCS V. I don't think that's enough for a ranking yet, but I do believe he will be beasting in more tournaments.

Winnar

Smash Lord
In my opinion, the only spots I can be positive about are

1. TheReflexWonder
2. Will_
3. George

After that I would put

4. Elev8

but that's debatable I guess. Three spots may seem like a lot but I really feel like he earned it. Next comes either

Nice1 or Moogle

I'm not sure who is better to be honest. They both intimidate the crap out of me. Then comes

7. theONEjanitor

It may technically be a step down, but really it feels more like elev8 just got ridiculously good so everyone else that everyone else's place got shifted accordingly. Then I guess I'd put Munkus at 8.

8. Munkus_Beaver

But only because of his tournament placings. I have so much footage of him just spamming mach tornado...Basically what I want to say is that Munkus might be good at Brawl, but his performance at TCS5 is not indicative at all of his skill. You might as well say he didn't show attend TCS5 because all he did was mach tornado and shuttle loop, practically. The reason I'm keeping him on here is because he might actually be alright. The reason why I'm putting him so low is that I'm confident that the above players know how to get around those spammy tactics, and without being able to fall back on mach tornado and shuttle loop I think that he would lose to said players.

Anyway moving on,

9. The Brown Scourge

He beat Moogle. As Bowser. On Rainbow Cruise. I think enough has been said on this.

10. Kalm or Cam

I don't know who is better, I just know they're both good. I don't play them enough to know, nor do I look at tourney results closely enough.

Actually I don't think one tournament is enough to put Scourge on the PR list, but hell, he beat Moogle. What else is there? He might as well be number 5 for all I care.

Players I expect will be heavy contenders for the PR very soon:

Cheap
shaSLAM

I would include you guys solely based on your amazing play at TCS5, but meh. Ten spots isn't a lot when Scourge's Bowser takes up so much room.

Also Mahgnittoc, you know you're awesome. I know you're awesome. You need to start going to more tournaments so we can put you back on the list.

Edit - SHIT I forgot about nu. **** this messes up everything. Whatever, make him 7 or 8 orand everyone else gets shifted down 1 I guess. Aaaagh damn you nu you mess up everything

Not quite right but whatever. I don't even live in AL who would listen to me anyway?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I thought the PR thread was the place to talk about this, lol.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
danGR things arent that simple anymore.
brown scourge CHANGED EVERYTHING!!!!

lolololol

but seriously. he should be talked about by everyone saying how awesome it was that his bowser finally did good. and im happy he finally got noticed after coming for so long. but the PR isnt for him yet. or honorable mention. I'd just like everyone to know how awesome his bowser is lol. but i 2-0'd him in pools.

idk if i should be in top ten yet. but id like being discussed about :D

and ive never payed attention to cheap before at all. no offense. i just kinda never notice him so idk what to do about him lolololol

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
danGR things arent that simple anymore.
fair enough, haha.

theONEjanitor said:
Cheap and Kalm aren't well respected or known throughout the state/region as being good and knowledgeable about the game and its players in the state.
I'd shy away from using the word "respected" in that context. Just stick with "known".

I respect both Cheap and Kalm very much. Both are good sports, cool people.

theONEjanitor said:
DanGR would probably qualify but last time he didn't want to make a list, so I dont know if he's going to want to this time.
I wouldn't mind being a panelist.

Wine

Smash Cadet
lol why cant we just keep it simple:
put dan back on the list so all we have to do is rearrange the current one instead of adding nu people, oops i mean new people. NU2KING!

Winnar

Smash Lord
I'd shy away from using the word "respected" in that context. Just stick with "known".

I respect both Cheap and Kalm very much. Both are good sports, cool people.
Yeah I was about to say something.

I immediately knew/liked Cheap the first time I saw him.

But yeah if scourge doesn't actually make it onto the list I don't think anyone would contest it, seeing as how this is his first tournament to be so amazing that I literally went out and got BROWN SCOURGE tattooed across my chest and back.

Wine

Smash Cadet
I immediately liked Cheap the first time I saw him.
thats really cute.

and as far as munkus goes, whether or not we agree with his "playing style", he is still placing well in tournaments, so until/if/when people can start punishing the "spammy tactics" he'll def still be on my list somewhere b/w 6-8

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
obv when i say "respected" i'm not talking about whether or not you think the person is a swell chum
geezus give me a little credit

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I thought the PR thread was the place to talk about this, lol.
i figured making a new thread would make it clear that this is SRS BSNESS

we can use the PR thread to circle jerk about how good we are

plus I just like making threads

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
put dan back on the list so all we have to do is rearrange the current one instead of adding nu people, oops i mean new people. NU2KING!
Even if we put Dan back on the list, I think Kalm and Mahgnittoc have some competition to stay on or go off.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Also, since we're probably going back to having a smaller panel, and Cam brought up the point that a panel shouldn't appoint itself. Let's have a vote. Everyone PM me 4-5 ppl you think should be on the panel to decide the power rankings.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
That sounds fair Janitor. I PMed you a list of possible panelists. Unlike Munkus, I don't think it will be a popularity contest.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
the list right now is ****ing stupid....

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
@Cam I've seen some lists some people sent in. It's definitely looking like a popularity contest from some people.

I'm publicly posting my most recent list here.

1. TheReflexWonder
2. Will_
3. George

4. Elev8 - He's gotten really good and keeps proving himself. I need to start playing more.

DanGR would go here or above Elev8.

5. Moogle - Not sure really. It seems like people are figuring out his Fox, so he might even go lower.
6. Munkus Beaver - People have started to figure his Meta Knight out. Might need to be moved down.
7. theONEjanitor - Might need to be switched with nice1. nice1 needs to attend more tournaments for me to be sure.
8. nice1 - see above
9. mahgnittoc - Only attends Gamebox tournaments thanks to his parents. Didn't do very well when I played him.
10. Cheap - He's gotten really good recently.

Honorable Mentions

TheBrownScourge - This man has gotten a lot of hype. I've heard a lot of support for him from some of you guys, but he just hasn't made as good of a showing at other tournaments yet. He did well in pools as VGB5, but did poorly in brackets. He played very well at TCS5, but he's not quite list material yet.

Nu - I don't think he's had a single tournament where he's had luck go his way. A few mistakes at VGB5, screwed out of brackets he deserved to make it into at LasT 3, and getting matched up against Will_ and Munkus at TCS5. He's good enough to be ranked but doesn't have the tournament results to back it.

ShaSLAM - His Wario's pretty good.

Kalm - Didn't make it out of pools at TCS5, but it might have just been bad luck.

---

Basically, I'm not sure where exactly everyone stands. Give it one or two more tournaments and I'll have a more solid list, but there's nothing wrong with updating now.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
@George: Panel lists?

I went through and compiled a list of recent tournament results for people that are either possibly going to get knocked off the list or people who are possibly going to be added.

Kalm
13/37 at VGB V
7/28 at Game Galaxy III
9/35 at TCS IV

Mahgnittoc
9/37 at VGB V
5/21 at VGB IV

Brown Scourge
7/26 at TCS V
17/37 at VGB V

Cam
9/26 at TCS V
5/28 at Game Galaxy V
9/37 at VGB V

Cheap
13/26 at TCS V
9/37 at VGB V
13/35 at TCS IV
13/21 at VGB IV

M3T
7/37 at VGB V

Majist
13/37 at TCS V
9/35 at TCS IV
13/21 at VGB IV

Popsofctown
13/37 at VGB V
7/35 at TCS IV

Nu
9/26 at TCS V
17/37 at VGB V
13/35 at TCS IV
9/21 at VGB IV

ShaSlam
13/26 at TCS V
17/28 at Game Galaxy V
17/37 at VGB V

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
i completely agree with you about NU, george.
thats how i feel sometimes.

not to mention that spike at 30 percent in teams at tcs5 so he didnt make it to team grand finals.

NU has my support whether or not the tourney results show it or not because i feel that im going through the same thing.
i get screwed over ALOT.

for example facing Zom-b my first round in my last 2 tournaments! and i am not lieing when i say he is the ONLY smash player i know that i am completely uncomfortable playing against and know i will lose every time.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I still don't understand why everyone is up in arms about something as simple as a spike.

Will_

Smash Journeyman
1. Reflex
2. Will_
3. George
4. DanGR
4. Elev8
5. Moogle
6. Nice1
7. Janitor
8. Munkus
9. Mahg
10. Nu

HM

Cheap
Kalm
Scourge
Slam
Cam

Panelists

George
Moogle
Janitor
DanGR

EDIT: will put up comments later.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
honestly I think nu is 10
but maybe that's becuase I play him on a daily basis

but as george pointed out, he doesnt have the results to back it up, so i don't think I could legitimately put him in that spot. As soon as he wrecks some tourneys though I'm prolly changing my list.

but I'm also not very familiar with how good Cam is

as it stands i think its between Cheap and Kalm for number 10

nice1 definitely outperformed me at TCS5

its looking like elev8 is about to grab the number 4 spot

Will_

Smash Journeyman
Now that I think about it Adam beat my DK in brackets at TCS5.

I'll edit it now.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
I would like to point out just in case DanGR is coming back onto the list that he won 3 of the last 4 tournaments he attended.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
honestly I think nu is 10
but maybe that's becuase I play him on a daily basis

but as george pointed out, he doesnt have the results to back it up, so i don't think I could legitimately put him in that spot. As soon as he wrecks some tourneys though I'm prolly changing my list.

but I'm also not very familiar with how good Cam is

as it stands i think its between Cheap and Kalm for number 10

nice1 definitely outperformed me at TCS5

its looking like elev8 is about to grab the number 4 spot
To be honest, I don't know that it's fair to count me out yet just because you aren't familiar with me, especially considering I outplaced Cheap, Kalm, and Nu in recent tournaments. I understand the idea that someone can be better and not place higher in tournaments, but I also think the only way to really prove how good you are to everyone (not just friends) is to do well under pressure at said tournaments.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Why is everyone so insistent on keep Mahg on the list. He simply has not been to that many tournies at all. I've only seen him at the one and he did moderately well from what I remember. As far as I know he has only been to two total?
We're not putting Scourge on the list because his outburst was just one tourny and the same must be done for Mahg. He hasn't been to many of our recent tournies and that should count against him, just like it would count against me to have gone and not make it out of pools.

Everything else on the list is in order but I just don't see Mahg being worthy anymore, I feel like he needs to earn his spot back in the next 2-3 tournies.
I know personal opinion of each person means a lot, but I think everyone should respectfully balance their opinions with the list of tourny results that Cam presented. Balancing our opinions with the tourny results is the best way to get a list that doesn't have funky spots.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I went ahead and compiled the results of all of the more recent tournaments that had any participants from Alabama into a list. It's just for quick reference.

Vulcan Gamebox V- Results - Brackets
Tuscaloosa Competitive Smash #5- Results
Last 3- Results
Game Galaxy VI- Results

edit: any i missed?

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
To be honest, I don't know that it's fair to count me out yet just because you aren't familiar with me, especially considering I outplaced Cheap, Kalm, and Nu in recent tournaments. I understand the idea that someone can be better and not place higher in tournaments, but I also think the only way to really prove how good you are to everyone (not just friends) is to do well under pressure at said tournaments.
i'm basing my comment on what everyone else is saying, not just my own ignorance

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Now that I think about it Adam beat my DK in brackets at TCS5.

I'll edit it now.
Adam randomly comes up to us and is like

hey i just beat will_
or I just 3 stocked some kid

but then he gets last place in brackets and we're like Q_Q

Top Bottom