• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

aish's monthlies 5 Tournament Results

T-block

B2B TST
I'm not all that good at bracket theory, but I'm sure colin and I could figure something out next time. Honestly the only legitimate bracket complaint is when two people who placed similarly in pools play each other first thing. It's up to the TO to decide whether to accomodate stuff like friends or brothers playing first round.

aish

Smash Journeyman
I take note of friends and brothers unless I don't know they're friends. I still don't remember every single one of you, and then the rest is just taking the pool results and quickly organizing it to look pretty right not perfect because I don't do it in efficient time.
With so much complaints lately about the brackets and other things it makes me not want to continue doing these monthlies already and even more so since I'm not even entering singles for the time

Bread~

Smash Journeyman
Post about my skill

D***, even my tl;drs are lengthy.

:005:
You are very right young sir. Except I'd like to say that I feel I am deserving of 5th (if I cared) and I beat Colin in pools, and the only other time I played him.

I pulled out mad 2v1's every teams set, the only one I didn't win a mad 2v1 against was luke and mark, who frankly, are both very good.

Colin came closer to beating me then Brad did tbh.
This is true, but if I counterpicked a neutral, I feel I would've done just as well as matches 1 and 2 and it would've been very very nerve racking for you.

Guys brad's pretty good... etc etc. We should manually make brackets from now on.
Well thank you, this coming from what I consider the 2nd best player there. =] long story short I did have an easy bracket, but it's not like I did poorly against good players, I did better aganist Luke than anyone but Colin or Dan.

Guys seriously, T-block will destroy you if he learns snake, I was watching him play people like Luke, EVERY time he predicted your recovery, he just has such ****ty priority with PT that it didn't work >_>

Bracket's
They can definitely be better. I don't think tio takes into account second round.
Problems also arise when the pools themselves are unbalanced.

TiO obviously can't be relied on. If it says it's seeding based on pool results and you see some obvious flaws, they should be fixed.V.V

:005:
Yeah I guess they can be better if we do it by hand every single time but I don't plan on doing it by hand EVERYTIME.
and no jake it wasn't made from the pool results because you need either 2,4,8 etc amount of pools and we had 5 pools so brad did it manually. If we spent more time working on it that day we'd probably be more over the booked time than we were already
I'm not all that good at bracket theory, but I'm sure colin and I could figure something out next time. Honestly the only legitimate bracket complaint is when two people who placed similarly in pools play each other first thing. It's up to the TO to decide whether to accomodate stuff like friends or brothers playing first round.
lol just feel free to yell at people

as long as the #1 playing #2 first round thing doesn't happen there shouldn't be any complaints =\
Long story short, You guys are all wrong, but with good intentions (except Aish, you're right with semi-decent intentions)

Tio is much much MUCH better than any "by hand" bracket will be, unless everyone is watching it be made and adding criticism, which leads to a stacked tournament. The problem Tio has, which I'm sure any TO can fix, is that pools have to have an even number for tio to actually seed by pools properly.

The flaw with this tournament is because it was 5 pools, we had to edit the skill ourselves, which really only categorizes into three ranks. Expert, Intermediate, and beginner. When you do this is leads to three groups, meaning theres a lot larger window for mistake.

Tio does consider every round, even into the losers bracket it does, it usually even considers who you played in pools, but for SK5 the way we did it, it did not. What happens is say theres 4 pools, 32 players. Tio would seperate the 4 #1's into the four sections of the bracket, so they don't play untill semi finals.

This didn't happen here because in our case there ended up being 10 people to split up, which means two sets of pros have to face early. It was just bad luck for those who had to do so.

Me and Vania even looked at it ourselves and tried to think of a way to seperate luke and jack, but we couldn't find anywhere else to put him, except against me in the same round. And call me a cheater for not moving him there, but I left it as what tio made, I didn't want to edit that.

The only edit I made was giving Dan a bye so that two brothers didn't have to play round 1 of losers.

eehhh, I forgot what else I wanted to say, so I'll just move on.

To complaints about pools: Pools always have been and always will be poorly seeded. The only way it's not is when everyone is alraedy seeded into their appropriate ranks. But then it's again stacked and then you always play the same people. The only things a TO should be doing in terms of pools is generating them over and over untill the best players are seperated as best as possible.

tl;dr don't read this unless you care to hear about why you're wrong and should use Tio, just learn how to use it better.

T-block

B2B TST
I could be wrong, but if we set some sort of bracket generating algorithm and followed it every time, there should be no room for bias, no?

Either way, it seems then that the best way now is to set up pools so that Tio seeds properly. We could force four pools and just use the extra TVs to help complete those... it might take a little longer, but I think most people wouldn't mind if it means a better bracket.

aish

Smash Journeyman
You can get 6 if someone helped me get my monitor!

Over half of you don't even want to push tables

It's because melee must've not had tournaments every month so they arn't as spoiled as these brawl monthlies

Alphicans

Smash Hero
When did Brad start posting things that make sense? Like, I'd have to agree with Brad on this one, and that really pains me to say :\.

T-block

B2B TST
Well if what brad says is true then tio has my support again. We just have to make sure we use it properly, so that it will seed properly, because at the moment there is definitely something wrong

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
The only things a TO should be doing in terms of pools is generating them over and over untill the best players are seperated as best as possible.
yeah, this is what we did at adat2. you can't just "not" use tio because it has made a poorly distributed bracket, you just gotta remake it until the best players are separated as best as possible. the problem with this is that it kind of eliminates the point of pools; if dan, luke, jack, and mark all played in one pool, they would be separated out into a TERRIBLE bracket, so if anything, you're still going to have to randomize slightly biased pools just as you would do with a bracket, which as I said previously, eliminates the point of pools. but whatever.

edit: I can definitely see that somebody doesn't know how to use tio cause byes are supposed to be given to the best players (ie dan and then either jack or luke) and giving them to...not so great players eliminates the point of pools once again >_>

Bread~

Smash Journeyman
I could be wrong, but if we set some sort of bracket generating algorithm and followed it every time, there should be no room for bias, no?

Either way, it seems then that the best way now is to set up pools so that Tio seeds properly. We could force four pools and just use the extra TVs to help complete those... it might take a little longer, but I think most people wouldn't mind if it means a better bracket.
You just have to make sure it's an even number of pools if you want tio to do the work for you.

How come we never had this problem for melee? lol
We did have this problem, it's just the only people who noticied or cared were the good players, and since the people who were good at melee were cool, they just let it go, or went with minor fixes.

The people who play brawl are whiny kids who complain about everything, because even if you suck at brawl you can still win money.

Over half of you don't even want to push tables

It's because melee must've not had tournaments every month so they arn't as spoiled as these brawl monthlies
Truf, then Wrong.

When did Brad start posting things that make sense? Like, I'd have to agree with Brad on this one, and that really pains me to say :\.
About the same time you started to stop being really really dumb. AKA about the same time you did.

Well if what brad says is true then tio has my support again. We just have to make sure we use it properly, so that it will seed properly, because at the moment there is definitely something wrong
loooooool.

If you guys really need help, just ask pretty much anyone who used to host but stopped when brawl came out (AKA people like Carl)

Are you talking about this tournament's bracket where byes were given out wrong...

even though it was by pools
because of odd pools our byes were given to the top 2 randomly.

Bread~

Smash Journeyman
er sorry, it has to be a multiple of 2 or something like that.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
That was hilarious. I was watching and I noticed there was only 30 seconds left. I thought to myself, did the recording stop abruptly or what?

Then I lold.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Break time from Smash was good. License test on the 14th. If all goes legit, count me there for the next one.

Or will I be there. Who the hell knows. :o

/goes back into lurker mode

Top Bottom