• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Air Tripping - Now without video proof (yet again)...

D

Deleted member

this has happend to me as well when i was playing ddd and i could not up-b out of it when i was in freefall

Negative Zero

Smash Apprentice
I was playing as, I believe, 3D earlier today. Anyway, I was doing event match 38. I jumped and for some reason immediately plummeted to the ground. I did not hit a pitfall. Is this what you mean?

buenob

Smash Lord
I only read the first 5-6 pages and then the last few so i'm not sure but my friend just linked me to a slo-mo video of sonic air-tripping... if it's already been posted, sorry about the re-post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH8nXjorFK8&eurl

edit -> just realized that hitaku posted the vid. so it's prob. already up here somewhere

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Several days of play later and I have yet to air trip again (as well as none of my friends). If I am unlucky enough to have this 1/100000 chance kill me in a tournament then maybe some higher power is trying to tell me I deserved it lol. I honestly don't think there is anything to worry about if the chance remains this low.

Frey

Smash Journeyman
Argh this happened during an online match, I basically couldnt follow my YOU MUST RECOVER!! motto, i thought my controller glitched.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
Record a vid. =P Seriously though, what kind of matches are you playing when this happens? 1v1 4 stock? Just curious.

Next time it happens, you should quit outta the match so that you can (hopefully, assuming play time was < 3 mins, which is what I think the limit is for recording matches) save it to the Wii hard drive, then upload it to the PC. :)
How do you upload wii to the PC?

BananaNut

Smash Journeyman
This happened to me once, I was sonic, and I remeber going for the edge when that tumbling animation happened, BUT HE DID NOT GRAB THE LEDGE WHILE AIR TRIPPING. then I plummeted to my doom.

JJBro1

Smash Journeyman
This happened to me once, I was sonic, and I remeber going for the edge when that tumbling animation happened, BUT HE DID NOT GRAB THE LEDGE WHILE AIR TRIPPING. then I plummeted to my doom.
did you use the spring before you grabbed the ledge?

Skepsis

Smash Rookie
This happened to me yesterday. I was Sonic, playing a 3-stock match against a Lvl 9 CPU Lucario. And better still: The match was under 3 minutes long, so I have it on film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZdPdfGZe8o

That video shows air tripping far more clearly than the Sonic/Olimar one. There's no disputing it any more; Air Tripping is in Brawl. And as you can see from the video, it sucks.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Considering that this has only definitively happened with Sonic, I would venture to guess that it is a glitch involving Sonic. It doesn't seem that farfetched, considering there are already established glitches involving Sonic's B-moves (such as using over-B off of a 45 degree angle).

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
There are some testimonials for Jigglypuff, as well, and one or two others. Sonic appears to be mentioned most often, though. This new video definitely seems clearer than the other about what is happening. Kudos to skepsis for getting it on film for us. Unfortunately, we don't seem any closer to understanding it, even with this additional evidence of its existence.

Mecha Soul

Smash Apprentice
This has happened to a friend of mine. I was confused about what happened, but then I remembered this thread. I've only seen it happen that one time.

I'm pretty sure he was Sonic too.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I'm not sure what to think about this... I mean, if it DOES exist, then I haven't seen it in all the time I've played.... and you'd figure it would happen eventually.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
lol, still has not happened when I played. From the video's, the person look like he's been footstooled or his sheild broke then tripping in the air. Kind of like that person got hit buy Luigi's FS. =/

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
lol, still has not happened when I played. From the video's, the person look like he's been footstooled or his sheild broke then tripping in the air. Kind of like that person got hit buy Luigi's FS. =/
OMG, you are right.... luigi's FS can make you auto trip any time you try to move.... that includes in the air.... it's been done to me by that before.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
it happens to me soo much with sonic, but jiggs and peach have it happening ... its crazy werid, sucks and the last thing that idiot added to the game

edit* by a lot i mean 3 times with sonic. that vid of the sonic vs lucario pretty much confirms it

heroboy

Smash Cadet
perhaps you only trip in the air after recently taking a hit or some other effect that makes you trip?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Luigi's FS makes you "dizzy", as if, as you mentioned, your shield broke (only you don't fly up, you just start tumbling down). However, when you land, you land on your back.

When you land after an air trip, as those who've tripped about land will attest you, you land on your behind, just like from a Ground Trip, hence the name Air Trip.

perhaps you only trip in the air after recently taking a hit or some other effect that makes you trip?
No to the 1st. Who knows to the 2nd.

heroboy

Smash Cadet
I meant, after a taking some effect that could cause you to trip, like certain attacks.

Don't know if you were commenting differently, but I was just clarifying.

GofG

Smash Champion
This happened to me yesterday. I was Sonic, playing a 3-stock match against a Lvl 9 CPU Lucario. And better still: The match was under 3 minutes long, so I have it on film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZdPdfGZe8o

That video shows air tripping far more clearly than the Sonic/Olimar one. There's no disputing it any more; Air Tripping is in Brawl. And as you can see from the video, it sucks.

I would advise Yuna to add this video to the front page, as Skepsis is clearly NOT footstool jumped by the Lucario, and he clearly goes into his falling animation, with no recovery options.

EDIT: This is my "1st" 337th post. That's almost leet.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I meant, after a taking some effect that could cause you to trip, like certain attacks.

Don't know if you were commenting differently, but I was just clarifying.
One of the times, I tripped in the air when I got dashattacked. Twice, I was simply in the air after not taking any damage or anything for more than 30 seconds.

ChewyChase

Smash Cadet
As for those who believe Sonic is the only one who air-trips... It's probably just more common for him to trip out of all the characters (I hate you Sakurai). I trip WAY more with Sonic than with Toon Link. It's also been commented on that some characters have a higher chance to trip than others... I think it has something to do with speed and your character model's walking surfaces and the type of terrain.

I have air tripped maybe 4 times as Sonic. I air tripped once with Link also, but it was not as noticeable. I was just jumping off the edge to chase the opponent and BAM I'm falling to my death. I tripped with Link when I was experimenting with SHing and air dodging as an approach.

I think air tripping definitely exists in some form, but is very rare.

Surgo

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone air-tripped with Marth or a space animal yet? I have played said characters very much and have yet to air-trip.

We need a list of all characters who are confirmed to air-trip.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
This is weird. Nothing like this has happened to me yet, nor to anyone else I have been watching.

Weiiiird.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Maybe it's caused from tripping as soon as you jump.
No, because none of the airtrippers have tripped as soon as they jumped. Me, Hitaku, this latest video's Sonic. All three of us tripped way after we jumped.

And why would you trip from jumping anyway if it's a glitch? You only trip if you smash the stick left or right (and you trip instantaneously).

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think this is probably a glitch. It doesn't look... normal.
Irrelevant. It's in the game, we don't know what causes it, it seems quite random. Short of hacking the game, it seems like someday, somewhere, an important game might be decided by this.

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
What happens if you smash your control stick when making a jump? Will the trip cancel your jumping animation?

However, after watching Hitaku's video again, he didn't jump in a direction.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
What happens if you smash your control stick when making a jump? Will the trip cancel your jumping animation?

However, after watching Hitaku's video again, he didn't jump in a direction.
Not a single reported case has specified that they tripped out of their jump (as in, it canceled their jump).

We've all tripped while already in the air. While it's still possible you can trip during your initial jumping animation, it's impossible for Air Tripping to be limited to only when actually jumping.

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
Not a single reported case has specified that they tripped out of their jump (as in, it canceled their jump).

We've all tripped while already in the air. While it's still possible you can trip during your initial jumping animation, it's impossible for Air Tripping to be limited to only when actually jumping.

My point is that if tripping cannot cancel jumping animation, then would the properties of the trip be given to the character in the air? I could see that causing the tumble. Not saying this is the definitive reason, just asking the possibility of this. Unfortunately, the only way I see of disproving this specific theory is to use a move after jumping but before the tumble.

Top Bottom