• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Air Tripping - Now without video proof (yet again)...

SnowandDeath

Smash Cadet
it's seems that IF it does happen,it happens so rarely it doesn't matter..........i spend most of my time in the air and i have never ever air tripped.i did trip while i was about to jump but that's not the same is it?that made me think of something;is it possible to trip off the stage(i doubt it but if it's possible.....)

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
The whole point of investigating Air Trips is to determine what causes it.

I don't know about you, but if there's a .01% chance of it happening under certain circumstances, I certainly will be avoiding those circumstances in tournament matches. Because, as the number of matches played reach infinity, someone is going to lose a match because of this.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
someone is going to lose a match because of this.
I am a surviving victim of the air trip! My secret? Make sure to always have one stock up on your opponent lol. ;)

In all seriousness though, @Blaazer07, I never really knew of this Up+B glitch before. By how you describe it though, it's not what happened to me. First, I did not up+B to get on to that platform, and secondly if you notice when I drop down I am not automatically in the tumbling animation. I would think that something like that would instantly start when you began to fall.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
Edit: The more of this thread I read, the less and less I believe that Air Tripping exists at all.
Just wanna throw a comment along with Yuna's at this.

Are you serious? This is Smashboards. If you consider every post in any thread indicative of the intelligence of the people really moving the thread along, you're not going to believe anything here.

You have to read between the garbage, find the posts from people who are actually raising good points, people who are trying to test things, and people who are proposing decent theories or counters to less-than-decent theories.

You can't use the ignorance of the in-between, one-liner posts to judge the actual topic, because there's garden variety morons on both sides of every discussion in this entire forum.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Okay, so after testing, I have discovered that this isn't random, and it is, in fact, just a glitch. I am able to replicate this "Air Trip" at will, now (including the scenarios seen in the two videos).
This, at least with Sonic, is caused when one does his Spring Jump and then lands on the ground at the apex of the Spring Jump. When this happens, the next time one is in the air, as soon as one is out of their jumping animation (or other animation such as the Homing Attack), one is immobilized as if one already preformed the up-B, already.

I have taken some video footages to prove this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSOiGOvTzws
The 2nd "Air Trip" is similar to the one in the 2nd video of the first post, and the 4th "Air Trip" is similar to the one in the 1st video of the first post.

So with this, it's rather a glitch, and not a tripping physics mechanic like the Ground Trip. I haven't tested the other mentioned characters, yet, but I'm confident to say that some similar glitch is at fault, too, and not an actual mechanic.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
I'm far too lazy to try this out, unfortunately, but the video is proof. You can still DI left and right and attack, can't you? Also, can this happen over the stage? If so, at least a player can just jump in the air again to reset.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
Bdawg but just immagine this happening to you ( and it has happened to me ) over the dam air where theres no gorund. just falling to your death

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Okay, so after testing, I have discovered that this isn't random, and it is, in fact, just a glitch. I am able to replicate this "Air Trip" at will, now (including the scenarios seen in the two videos).
This, at least with Sonic, is caused when one does his Spring Jump and then lands on the ground at the apex of the Spring Jump. When this happens, the next time one is in the air, as soon as one is out of their jumping animation (or other animation such as the Homing Attack), one is immobilized as if one already preformed the up-B, already.

I have taken some video footages to prove this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSOiGOvTzws
The 2nd "Air Trip" is similar to the one in the 2nd video of the first post, and the 4th "Air Trip" is similar to the one in the 1st video of the first post.

So with this, it's rather a glitch, and not a tripping physics mechanic like the Ground Trip. I haven't tested the other mentioned characters, yet, but I'm confident to say that some similar glitch is at fault, too, and not an actual mechanic.
Finally a breakthrough!

Obviously this does not solve it for characters like Peach (at least not yet, assuming that you are right and it's a similar glitch), but I think the case is closed for why Sonic does it, and why so many people have experienced it; it's not that hard to recreate.

I have tested this myself, and it works. My guess is that you cut off the falling animation just right so that it registers it as incomplete or something, so that when you become aerial again, it wants to finish. Although that's pretty obvious, considering the circumstances.

An easy thing to do, just in case you don't fully understand what you do to cause this is to just make sure you land before Sonic starts spinning.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
Bdawg but just immagine this happening to you ( and it has happened to me ) over the dam air where theres no gorund. just falling to your death
But if it's caused by you upBing and landing at the apex of your jump, you now know to jump and get the hell back to the ground to cancel the effects.

Also, I wonder if you can upB after setting up this glitch, that is upBing and landing at the apex of your jump and then upBing from the ground?

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Well, since the cause is now known, you can jump and land to rid yourself of the lingering effect, but before the cause was known, people wouldn't know until it's too late.

Yes, you can up-B from the ground after setting up this glitch. You can do anything until you're in the air. Once you're in the air, though, you lose your jump and free-fall the same way after you up-B.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
But if it's caused by you upBing and landing at the apex of your jump, you now know to jump and get the hell back to the ground to cancel the effects.
Yup, and if you have even an inkling that you did this, jump and reset. That's the nice thing, now that we know, we can be sure to counter it. Unfortunately, there's no surefire way to tell if you've done it or not, so a paranoid person could very easily think they're doing it every time they recover, and carefree people may underestimate how often it happens and die because of it.

At least we know, though, so if you mess up, it's pretty much your fault. You have to be wary and watch out for possibly setting this up.

Also, I wonder if you can upB after setting up this glitch, that is upBing and landing at the apex of your jump and then upBing from the ground?
Yes, you can.

Although it doesn't really matter, either way you end up in the spinning animation. Then again, I suppose it does give you an option to reset it that can be more strategically advantageous. You can't really do an aerial with a single regular jump, you just get landing lag.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
That is slightly different, though. In the computer's case, Sonic never landed; he just simply wall jumped after Spring Jumping, and continued his free-fall afterwards.

storm92

Smash Ace
That is slightly different, though. In the computer's case, Sonic never landed; he just simply wall jumped after Spring Jumping, and continued his free-fall afterwards.
Ah yeah, my bad.
Although "technically" wouldn't that wall-jump count as hitting the platform? I know he wouldn't get his 2 jumps back after that, but it's around the same concept right?
The principle is the same where he UpB's, hits the platform, then on trying to wall jump he is put into his air tripping animation when the initial jump animation is finished, right?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
And only to further support his evidence and prove its not only something human created, a lvl 9 CPU Sonic air trips at 0:32 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ljgob9J3f0&NR=1
Great work, that solves it for Sonic at least.
Actually, that's not an air trip (at least not by what I would define as one). Sonic, in that video, does a wall jump right after he reaches the peak of his Up B. It's just like doing an aerial in mid-Up B--it's not any sort of glitch, it's just performing a move in the middle of Up B.

But you're right, I bet CPUs can pull it off.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
...The principle is the same where he UpB's, hits the platform, then on trying to wall jump he is put into his air tripping animation when the initial jump animation is finished, right?

Hitting the platform via wall jump doesn't count. Wall jumping never gives back anything lost (i.e. second jump or up-B). So, like FirustheHedgehog said, wall jumping like that and going into that animation isn't really a glitch, so it's nothing special. And I prefer it if people don't call this the "air tripping animation", as that's an incorrect term at this point. It's no more than his free-falling animation after using up-B.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
And I prefer it if people don't call this the "air tripping animation", as that's an incorrect term at this point. It's no more than his free-falling animation after using up-B.
I'm not referring to the animation as the "air tripping animation", I'm calling the glitch air tripping. Is it technically an air trip? No, but since that's what we've been calling it, I see no reason to change it.

It's a simple name, and if we are referring to Sonic when we use the term, people will know what we're talking about.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Very nice find, that video shows exactly what happened to me. Someone before you brought this up explained to him why I didn't think it was true (because I hadn't up+b recently). After watching the full video of our match again (the full version of the video I provided on Youtube) I noticed that I didn't land correctly with an up+b like you said. When I looked at it the first time this Up+B glitch was brought up I was focusing on what got me onto the platform, not the last time I used my Up+B. When I landed on the platform I had my shield broken and the knock back from that lifted me onto it. After testing again I can confirm that the glitch does persist through shield breaking. Very nice, happy we at least have that part figured out.

edddddie

Smash Cadet
I air-tripped in a FFA as Wolf on Smashville yesterday. I don't think it's limited to certain characters. I was winning the match too..........................

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
I've meet people that think that they air trip when they trip in the process of jumping from the ground. In that case, it's just normal tripping. I hope you're not one of them, as I'm sure a lot of the people to claim to have air tripped are actually just doing what I just stated above.

Grandeza

Smash Master
I air tripped for the first time Saturday but I can't remember for the life of me who I was. I was not Sonic or Peach though. I was either Diddy, Wario, Or Snake.

kock

Smash Rookie
i have a random question that i didn't feel like starting a thread for and it seemed to fit here.....has anyone else teched off of nothing? i was shot off the screen and a nauteral instict i hit L and i poped right back. it wasn't so much the tech motion but i should have been dead.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
i have a random question that i didn't feel like starting a thread for and it seemed to fit here.....has anyone else teched off of nothing? i was shot off the screen and a nauteral instict i hit L and i poped right back. it wasn't so much the tech motion but i should have been dead.
Could you go into detail a little more? What do you mean by pop back exactly?

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
In a possibly related area to what you brought up, kock, I have had some apparent experience with teching off other characters. I had heard rumors of such occurring that were generally dispelled as unlikely, not widely experienced, but I recall one specific time where I was certain my momentum had been stopped completely, reduced far more than should've been expected from a standard midair collision. Do you have any experience with that Hitaku, able to collaborate its existence, something like that?

ChewyChase

Smash Cadet
Yuna you can change the forum title to debunked now, this guy pretty much explains everything, and also it explains why it happens so much with Sonic and Peach. They have similar recoveries in that it's a straight shot up, and if hit with something (hit or land on a platform I guess) at just the right moment it stalls the fall until your next jump.

I don't know why I didn't notice this before; the wall jumping is an excellent point. He does continue his fall after a walljump and does not regain his jump. Using spring to walljump in target test 5 alot, don't know why I ever believed air trip was intentional. That's TOO cruel for Sakurai.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Yuna you can change the forum title to debunked now, this guy pretty much explains everything, and also it explains why it happens so much with Sonic and Peach. They have similar recoveries in that it's a straight shot up, and if hit with something (hit or land on a platform I guess) at just the right moment it stalls the fall until your next jump.

I don't know why I didn't notice this before; the wall jumping is an excellent point. He does continue his fall after a walljump and does not regain his jump. Using spring to walljump in target test 5 alot, don't know why I ever believed air trip was intentional. That's TOO cruel for Sakurai.
We don't necessarily know that that's why it happens with everyone, as it has happened with more than just those two. I haven't experienced air tripping, so could someone explain how the animation looks for everyone else? Does it look like the falling after a recovery? From what I've heard, it's like the falling after a shield break...meaning it wouldn't necessarily be recoveries causing it.

I wouldn't call it debunked; Sonic is the only one we have proof that this really is what happened.

KingMak

Smash Cadet

This has actually happened to me before as well, it almost looked like a wall jump. But I was Marth. Maybe it was a tech?

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
I wouldn't call it debunked; Sonic is the only one we have proof that this really is what happened.
It's true that the only proof we have is for Sonic, but you can also look at it the other way; the only proof of air tripping (that everyone can see and analyze) is also the two videos posted in the first post (which are now disproved). Everything else is just people saying "it happened to me once with so-and-so," etc.

MajinSweet

Smash Journeyman
I've played Brawl for countless hours now and I've still not seen this air tripping. It either doesn't exist or is just amazingly rare. So either way, not a big deal.

Grunt

Smash Master
No matter what any character does they will always air trip. i've seen it done on all characters.
start a dash and you trip on air. every time even if there is nothing in your way.

Top Bottom