• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Air Tripping - Now without video proof (yet again)...

Eggm

Smash Hero
I coulda saved the replay too the match didn't last long, i got gimped 2nd stock and SD'ed 3 stock.. I just forgot.. UGH.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
After a pretty substantial number of hours played I have no experienced air tripping one single time. It seems to be atleast moderately rare. I would think that in a tournament it would be easy enough to recognize and could be solved simply by doing a rematch. It's a really stupid game mechanic but isn't that big of a deal in a tournament because it's so rare and obvious when it happens.
I don't think we re-do matches because of glitches that aren't intentionally used by someone. We didn't re-do matches when people fell through the tree on Pokemon Stadium or when someone lost two stocks by dying just once (has happened twice in tournaments in Sweden).

Pyrotechnic Ninja

Smash Rookie
Oh yeah, and when I first got the game, one of my friends air tripped as Falco. We were playing a FFA on Bridge of Eldin (I had 2 friends over) and he got knocked into the air and then after a second he was like, "WTF why can't I move I can't do anything wtfwtfwtf" basically. I saw him spinning in the air when he said that but I was engaged with the other player and didn't pay particular attention to if he landed on his butt or not. I had heard about air tripping previously, and so I was partially sure of what it was but I didn't want to scare them with the fact that it's in the game and I was kind of in denial, but looking back I'm about 99% sure it was an air trip. So add Falco to the diverse list of air-trippers that most likely includes everyone unless people think we need some more testimonials.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
Happened to me today. If I can ever get the vid off my friends wii I'll post it, or a link to it.

Either that or someone has huge invisible feet when footstooling <_<

Pyrotechnic Ninja

Smash Rookie
Well, I shared my Charizard video with Hitaku and we concluded that it wasn't an air trip. That is, unless Charizard's air trip animation is the same as his normal "fall after getting hit animation." You see, my friend just decided it would be better to fall for a while and dodge my Din's Fires with DI rather than air dodging, so I was like "OMG wuz dat n AIR TRIP!?" and he was like "wut" and I explained to him about air tripping and by the time I got done I had him convinced that he had air tripped. Sorry folks. I also concluded that I am mentally challenged. Go figure.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
I don't think we re-do matches because of glitches that aren't intentionally used by someone. We didn't re-do matches when people fell through the tree on Pokemon Stadium or when someone lost two stocks by dying just once (has happened twice in tournaments in Sweden).
Isn't that a bit stupid? Some fair tournament rules they are.

Castle Seige - Banned/Counterpicked Stage (not sure)
Falling through stage/losing 2 stocks at once - Alright?

I'm not saying Castle Seige shouldn't be banned, I'm saying someone's opinions on what's fair and what's not is a bit mucked up.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Isn't that a bit stupid? Some fair tournament rules they are.

Castle Seige - Banned/Counterpicked Stage (not sure)
Falling through stage/losing 2 stocks at once - Alright?

I'm not saying Castle Seige shouldn't be banned, I'm saying someone's opinions on what's fair and what's not is a bit mucked up.
I didn't write the rules. I'm simply repeating them.

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
Here's why it isn't a re-do.

It's a KNOWN GLITCH!!!

Everyone knows that fox sometimes falls through Snorlax/PS. If I were playing a good fox player and I wanted him to change, that is a not-really-but-kinda-good way!!!! It's the risk/reward of the character selection. It doesn't happen to everybody. Also, you can stay away from that area of the stage.

Shining Blitz

Smash Apprentice
This happened to me yesterday in classic mode on intense with Sonic vs. Metaknight on Halbeard. I suddenly entered the tumble anim, although it might have been a footstool. Mayby it's a Sonic-specific glitch? If so, aw man... I main Sonic!

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
My guess is that the air trip is specific to a certain situation of physics or button presses or etc.

Each time this situation arises there's a chance you air trip. (probably the same as regular tripping)

It's probable that the specific situations that cause air tripping occur most often with Sonic. Thus, more trials occur and you get better results.

Eggm

Smash Hero
I'm almost positive when it happened to me all I was doing was holding towards the stage and maybe I hit down to fast fall, as my plan was to go under the ledge and use up + b to auto sweet spot.

Big Bob

Smash Apprentice
One time on Bridge of Eldin I air tripped and fell to my death as Lucario. Wish the match was long enough to save the replay.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Here's why it isn't a re-do.

It's a KNOWN GLITCH!!!
So is moon jumping in halo 3 and sword flying and Shadow freezing.
Simply because its known doesn't mean it can't be redone.
Especially if an opponent is losing two stocks as opposed to one that really does tend tot hrow things off.

Everyone knows that fox sometimes falls through Snorlax/PS. If I were playing a good fox player and I wanted him to change, that is a not-really-but-kinda-good way!!!! It's the risk/reward of the character selection. It doesn't happen to everybody. Also, you can stay away from that area of the stage.
Yes but that is a controllable risk.

You're choosing Fox you're choosing to accept that risk. You are controlling it so to speak.
Now since i know someone will ask about items.
Items are not controllable. Due to the variety and the random appearance/placement it isn't controllable.
Knowing that Fox falls through PS is controllable since you can pick the character and the stage. Granted you can't choose when it will happen or where but you know what the conditions are and what will happen.

The 2 stock glitch is definitely something that would call a rematch most definitely.
Worst case scenario I have 2 stock and 150% and my opponent as 1 stock and 100% and I get knocked out and lose 2 stocks instead of 1 then why shouldn't I demand a rematch?
I just lost to an uncontrollable factor that wasn't intent on being placed in the game.
Simply because you know of its existence doesn't mean it would be accepted. Only if you can control it could you say its accepted.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
It's pretty easy to recreate the Fox falling through Pokefloats glitch. Just...run across Seel.

Anyway, I was fighting against a Sonic on Wifi and he air-tripped to his death during his up B o_O

I heard the up B sound and then he just fell all the way down, tumbling helplessly. I couldn't save the replay because the match was to long :(

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
It's pretty easy to recreate the Fox falling through Pokefloats glitch. Just...run across Seel.

Anyway, I was fighting against a Sonic on Wifi and he air-tripped to his death during his up B o_O

I heard the up B sound and then he just fell all the way down, tumbling helplessly. I couldn't save the replay because the match was to long :(
Wait...

You heard the start up of his sping but it never came out?

I believe that is a new suggestion on how it works!

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Okay, I think I air-tripped he other day with R.O.B.: he randomly went into a tumbling animation without flashing while I was off the ledge on FD. HOWEVER, I was still able to do my double jump and recover with my Up+B.

Zetsuei

Smash Cadet
Interesting. There was one time I thought it might have happened- I was playing as Sonic but like it said in a comment of one of those videos you posted, it might have just been from cancelling his overB while in the air. So I'm not sure.

Theibus

Smash Rookie
My friend's Zelda air tripped today. Luigi's Mansion, Final Smash Orbs on, Luigi vs Zelda. I got the orb, and Zelda was at the right edge of the stage. Just as I activated the FS, she jumped to the right to escape tripping, as well as the actual Negative Zone, but she did a sort of spinning thing like Sonic did in the OP's posts, and my friend fell and died. It was too long a match to replay, though, so no video evidence.

Air tripping does exist, and that means you are not as safe in the Negative Zone as you thought.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
Actually, what happens during Luigi's Final Smash is a different effect. They're distinguishable in what occurs upon landing. In the Negative Zone, you get an affect similar to being dizzied, from a broken shield, if you're in the air. You fall down and land on your back.

In an air trip, after you fall, you land on your rump, in your "I just tripped" animation. Luigi's Final Smash does not cause an air trip, though it can, indeed, be deadly on a player without ground beneath him, much like an air trip. Different thing, though.

Theibus

Smash Rookie
Then why did she spin in the same manor as Sonic did in the two videos?

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Notice how the trend to this air tripping "phenomenon" is that people were very close to a platform edge? This probably is linked to the strange tech. ability that allows people to cancel move lag by performing them near the edge of a platform. It seems that the game treats the player as if on the ground whenever they're near a certain part of a ledge's edge, so just as there's a random chance of tripping while actually on the ground, a random chance of tumbling in mid-air can occur when within this strange zone on a ledge.

Sorry if this has already been figured out, but I am not reading this whole topic.

Izak29

Smash Rookie
I've seen it happen when I was playing w/my friends...and yeah, it was Sonic that tripped. Seems like something that might be unique to him.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
sounds like a footstool.
Nope, definitly wasn't. My opponent was a Marth that choose not to approach R.O.B. when he was off the ledge and simply stood near the edge. I was watching Marth most of the match, and when I felt R.O.B. wasn't responding, I shifted my gaze to see him tumbling downwards without any flashing but I managed to do a double jump and Up+B away. Definitely some sort of air trip.

Blaazer07

Smash Rookie
Unlike what the thread title says, there is currently no video proof of air tripping, since they don't show what happened right before in the video, and its extremely likely that in both cases the Sonic has already become victim to the no-jump glitch after landing on the stage from an up-b without first going into his falling animation. It leaves him without a second (mid-air) jump or an Up-b until he lands again, resulting exactly in what you see. I can make 9284292 more of those videos without any difficulty.

Post a video of anyone else, and you might have a claim.

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
Unlike what the thread title says, there is currently no video proof of air tripping, since they don't show what happened right before in the video, and its extremely likely that in both cases the Sonic has already become victim to the no-jump glitch after landing on the stage from an up-b without first going into his falling animation. It leaves him without a second (mid-air) jump or an Up-b until he lands again, resulting exactly in what you see. I can make 9284292 more of those videos without any difficulty.

Post a video of anyone else, and you might have a claim.

oh snap!!!!

edit:

There's a ganon video on a page or two before this one. I found it.

I found a vid where Wolf makes a Ganondorf air trip. Ganon is in the air, Wolf uses Fsmash, and Ganon is knocked downwards, and lands on his butt.

I'll try and find it again and edit the url in here. I just have to check my browsing history...

EDIT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j1AmtyodFo&feature=related

2:42. Unfortunately the nearest you can track is to 2:26, and 2:43.

The vid also has Wolf's dair making Ganon (ground-)trip, but that's for another thread I guess? 2:18

D00D64

Smash Cadet
I had this happen in the SSE as Sonic. It's a spring glitch, because when I fell, I stood up upon landing. I don't think the two are related other than it being an edge thing.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
My friend's Zelda air tripped today. Luigi's Mansion, Final Smash Orbs on, Luigi vs Zelda. I got the orb, and Zelda was at the right edge of the stage. Just as I activated the FS, she jumped to the right to escape tripping, as well as the actual Negative Zone, but she did a sort of spinning thing like Sonic did in the OP's posts, and my friend fell and died. It was too long a match to replay, though, so no video evidence.

Air tripping does exist, and that means you are not as safe in the Negative Zone as you thought.
If Zelda got caught in the Negative Zone while she was in the air, that might have caused it.

However, if she was not, and she just spontaneously started falling unprovoked, then it might be air-tripping.

My friend thinks that he air tripped, and we may have the replay on the wii.

RockBarrelBlast

Smash Rookie
I know this won't dismiss all of the air tripping, but if you've looked at someone's sheild being broken, you see them fly through the air (no DI), and fall to the ground helplessly. I know for a fact two FS's imitate this effect: Luigi's and Peach's.

If you're in midair and in the effect of Luigi's or Peach's final smash, and you happen to be over the edge, your basically dead.

As for the random unprovoked air-tripping, I have no idea. I've never seen it before.

Blaazer07

Smash Rookie
I found a vid where Wolf makes a Ganondorf air trip. Ganon is in the air, Wolf uses Fsmash, and Ganon is knocked downwards, and lands on his butt.

I'll try and find it again and edit the url in here. I just have to check my browsing history...

EDIT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j1AmtyodFo&feature=related

2:42. Unfortunately the nearest you can track is to 2:26, and 2:43.

The vid also has Wolf's dair making Ganon (ground-)trip, but that's for another thread I guess? 2:18
Unfortunately, this is also not evidence of air tripping. It may look like it, but if you watch gannon closely, he attempts a dair right before hitting the ground, during which he pulls his legs up, making him appear further off the ground than he actually is. As he extends them, they touch the ground for an instant and his attack is ground canceled, right before he is hit by the first part of wolf's forward smash, which makes people trip on the ground.

I'm not debating the whether air tripping exists. I've never seen it, but its entirely possible.

However, both sonic videos (and probably all of the sonic testimonials) are just the glitch (see my last post), and gannon is ground tripping. There just isn't any recorded proof of it yet, so I think the thread title is inappropriate.

Edit: The more of this thread I read, the less and less I believe that Air Tripping exists at all.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
@Theibus, because.. the game uses those same animations? It uses the same animation when you're footstool'd, too, it's just your tumble animation. The mid-air animation isn't what is important, the game uses the tumble animation in many different situations. The animation upon landing is what is important. The ONLY time you land on your rear is when you have tripped. After an air trip, a character falls with their tumble animation and lands on the ground on their rear, a plain-as-day indicator of a trip.

@RockBarrelBlast, we're well aware of the effects of the mentioned FSs, and we repeat, repeatedly, that we're talking about something else, every page or two. You're right about the similar effect, but you've apparently chosen not even to watch the videos, in which you might see, quite plainly, that none of the things you've said are potential explanations for those cases.

@uh.. whoever mentioned ledgecancelling? It's an intersesting possibility that hasn't been mentioned yet, but it's hard to fit that explanation to all of the testimonials, and in fact, not even to both videos. Hitaku's could fit that case, but in the second video, Sonic is jumping off the stage, not back to it, and his air trip happens at a distance far beyond the range of a ledge cancel.

Eten

Smash Ace
Hey guys. I just had my first "airtripping" experience today. I was doing my usual thing, in the air, completely away from people(technically I was recovering) when all of the sudden WHOOP- I start spinning to my death.

Guess who I was playing? SURPRISE! Sonic. It looked exactly like in the videos in the original post. I'm pretty sure I was trying to use my up-B at the time, as is, that was what my input was around the time I simply "airtripped"

Take it for what you will.

Blaazer07

Smash Rookie
I really hope that last post was a joke.

The ledge is not significant other than being responsible for sonic's glitch, since you have to land without decending. The description of peach is completely different since you land on your butt. If either of the sonics in those two videos had hit ground, they would actually just go into the normal jump landing animation.

Can you please take those two videos down so people stop looking in that direction for "evidence"?

BigJ

Smash Rookie
Okay I'm totally convinced now. I was just playing a Luigi and when he used his final smash, I tried to jump away from it and I stopped in the air as if I was footstooled. I couldn't do anything after this "air trip" either. Doesn't look likely to happen without Luigi's FS being involved though.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
*laughs a little* Ah...

Yuna said:
"Q". Luigi's Final Smash airtrips people!
A.
No it doesn't! It makes them dizzy, as if their shield had broken. If they fall to the ground, they fall on their backs, not on their behinds, like from an Air Trip.
Perhaps you shouldn't be "totally convinced" so easily, if an entirely different phenomenon was able to prove to you the existence of this one.

BigJ

Smash Rookie
*laughs a little* Ah...

Perhaps you shouldn't be "totally convinced" so easily, if an entirely different phenomenon was able to prove to you the existence of this one.
Lol, well now I feel like a complete A-hole.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Notice how the trend to this air tripping "phenomenon" is that people were very close to a platform edge? This probably is linked to the strange tech. ability that allows people to cancel move lag by performing them near the edge of a platform. It seems that the game treats the player as if on the ground whenever they're near a certain part of a ledge's edge, so just as there's a random chance of tripping while actually on the ground, a random chance of tumbling in mid-air can occur when within this strange zone on a ledge.

Sorry if this has already been figured out, but I am not reading this whole topic.
No it doesn't. Plenty of people have air tripped while on the stage. In fact, I air tripped in the SSE, on stages where there are almost no edges at all. It's pretty hard to land while off-stage after an air trip and we know what animation you go into when you land (at least me and a Jigglypuff player have done this after air tripping).

I've seen it happen when I was playing w/my friends...and yeah, it was Sonic that tripped. Seems like something that might be unique to him.
No, because we have people air tripping as Jigglypuff, Peach and some other characters as well. It's just that many people play as Sonic.

I love it how no one seems to actually care to read the thread before responding. The two players in the video have both explained what happened before those specific sections of video. For one thing, Hitaku explained he hadn't Up B:ed recently so no Spring-glitching. For another, did you completely miss the fact that both sonics managed to jump, then fall normally and then suddenly start tumbling? I'm pretty sure the Spring Glitch works a bit different.

In fact, you cannot replicate this on command.

If Zelda got caught in the Negative Zone while she was in the air, that might have caused it.

However, if she was not, and she just spontaneously started falling unprovoked, then it might be air-tripping.

My friend thinks that he air tripped, and we may have the replay on the wii.
Post it and someone with a capture card might be able to transfer it to a video.

I know this won't dismiss all of the air tripping, but if you've looked at someone's sheild being broken, you see them fly through the air (no DI), and fall to the ground helplessly. I know for a fact two FS's imitate this effect: Luigi's and Peach's.
Peach's does not make you air trip. In fact, if you're in the air, the only thing that happens to you is that you get a little damage in. Luigi's Dizzies you. Read the original post, there's a FAQ-section.

However, both sonic videos (and probably all of the sonic testimonials) are just the glitch (see my last post), and gannon is ground tripping. There just isn't any recorded proof of it yet, so I think the thread title is inappropriate.
Show me a video of the Spring Glitch where the exact same thing happens.

Edit: The more of this thread I read, the less and less I believe that Air Tripping exists at all.
Just because some people don't know what they're talking about doesn't mean the words of those that do is worth less.

Top Bottom