• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Air Momentum Canceling For Kirby

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
I think using air hammer to cancel momentum will just kill you faster, seeing as using momentum changing specials or even jumping during the process of knockback increases the distance in which you are actually knocked back. Something that alot of people don't know.
ur def mistaken my friend. Have u noticed that when u aerial hammer u dont fall as much? that also means when u get hit upwards u dont go up as much either. Obviously Dair is better than aerial hammer but since u can't Dair twice aerial hammer is the next best move.

Pirate.

Smash Apprentice
In the majority of cases, I'm quite sure, that to live the longest, you want DI (Push the stick) in the direction, perpendicular, to the trajectory the move would hit you if your stick was neutral. The majority of moves that send u flying to the horizontal kill zones have the default trajectory (Non DI'd) of up left [for left killzone] and up right [for right killzone], so on the hitstun suffered from the move in question, you want to move your analog stick in the perpindicular direction:

So You DI:
"Up Right" if hit "To the Left side"
"Up Left" if hit "To the Right side"
"Left OR Right" if hit "To the Top"

The intention is to be hit toward the diagonals of the screen, (I think) You will always fly the same distance, but because your traveling on a harsh diagonal axis, your further away from the kill zones, because as we all know, the diagonals of a square/rectangle are much longer than either straight side.

After this DI'ing you want to Momentum Cancel:

In the case of Kirby, after Testing some, Gonzo does appear to be right about using Dair, for some reason, even though it lasts a little longer than Bair/Uair, It seems to be a better option as: it pulls your trajectory down, while in midflight, but you go the same/similar horizontal distance as if u were to uair/bair.

WHICH MEANS: You end up the same distance from the horizontal killzone, but are lower down, so your jump performed (immediately) after the momentum cancel has a far less chance of killing you off the top and off the sides.

Note:
-Using Down B seems to push kirby further away/ Keep same momentum until he's in a block form and falling... so not useful at all afaik.
-Using Over B immediately after momentum cancelling aerial pushes you back further than you would go if you didn't (Bad), and if used after jump... which is used after momentum cancel, seems to cancel vertical momentum and doesnt seem todo much to horizontal momentum.
-Make sure you push toward the stage after you jump... after you momentum cancel, because it stops some of your horizontal momentum, and can definately prevent you from dying where u would have.

Sorry if this is very incoherent, incorrect or inappropriate for this topic. I'm not sure if all of this is 100% correct, feel free to correct me.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
In the majority of cases, I'm quite sure, that to live the longest, you want DI (Push the stick) in the direction, perpendicular, to the trajectory the move would hit you if your stick was neutral. The majority of moves that send u flying to the horizontal kill zones have the default trajectory (Non DI'd) of up left [for left killzone] and up right [for right killzone], so on the hitstun suffered from the move in question, you want to move your analog stick in the perpindicular direction:

So You DI:
"Up Right" if hit "To the Left side"
"Up Left" if hit "To the Right side"
"Left OR Right" if hit "To the Top"

The intention is to be hit toward the diagonals of the screen, (I think) You will always fly the same distance, but because your traveling on a harsh diagonal axis, your further away from the kill zones, because as we all know, the diagonals of a square/rectangle are much longer than either straight side.

After this DI'ing you want to Momentum Cancel:

In the case of Kirby, after Testing some, Gonzo does appear to be right about using Dair, for some reason, even though it lasts a little longer than Bair/Uair, It seems to be a better option as: it pulls your trajectory down, while in midflight, but you go the same/similar horizontal distance as if u were to uair/bair.

WHICH MEANS: You end up the same distance from the horizontal killzone, but are lower down, so your jump performed (immediately) after the momentum cancel has a far less chance of killing you off the top and off the sides.

Note:
-Using Down B seems to push kirby further away/ Keep same momentum until he's in a block form and falling... so not useful at all afaik.
-Using Over B immediately after momentum cancelling aerial pushes you back further than you would go if you didn't (Bad), and if used after jump... which is used after momentum cancel, seems to cancel vertical momentum and doesnt seem todo much to horizontal momentum.
-Make sure you push toward the stage after you jump... after you momentum cancel, because it stops some of your horizontal momentum, and can definately prevent you from dying where u would have.

Sorry if this is very incoherent, incorrect or inappropriate for this topic. I'm not sure if all of this is 100% correct, feel free to correct me.
This all correct IMO. Except I think Kirby's hammer does a better job at canceling horizontal knockback momentum than vertical. (Or can it do both?) Anyway, for canceling horizontal knockback momentum with Kirby, you DI up-(left/right depending on where you are) + Dair + Jump + >B. For canceling vertical knockback momentum with Kirby, you DI (left/right) + Fast fall Uair/Dair? (maybe Uair preferably for this because apparently I was told that you can't fast fall Dair for some reason?) Anyway, I'm yet to actually try all of this out. :laugh:

Anyway my final tip for people who read this: Don't DI down when hit horizontally or you'll be sorry! Technically speaking, it becomes much more HARDER to counter horizontal knockback momentum when you do this because you have much less time to cancel the knockback than you do at an angle which makes it easier for your opponent to KO you. Also apart from Kirby's hammer, his other specials are practically useless for this situation.

MakoMako

Smash Journeyman
ur def mistaken my friend. Have u noticed that when u aerial hammer u dont fall as much? that also means when u get hit upwards u dont go up as much either. Obviously Dair is better than aerial hammer but since u can't Dair twice aerial hammer is the next best move.
ok then, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njcYW0rFmUg#

already been tested with kirby, this happens to all of kirby's specials except inhale.

hammer = bad

jump = bad

stone to cancel momentum = counter productive

This explains alot of the top corner deaths that occur right as you jump after the end of hitstun. That's not to say that this small implication cannot be used to our advantage.

and Yes, dair is the best aerial to use to negate knockback though it does leave you very open to uairs if it becomes too much of a habit >.>

You're welcome in advance

8BitRevolver

Smash Journeyman
Gonzo im pretty sure ur method using the dair does the same as mine with the uair. I tried to see if it helped but did the same as mine. I might be doing it wrong but idk

in training i had a marth f smash me in the middle of final destination and tried both methods. i lived to 154% using both and couldnt live after that.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
i guess if it works it works, not sure if ur DIing right but i'll try and c if i can live an Fsmash from the center, if i'll do i'll record it and post it for u.

Pink murder

Smash Ace
As soon as i'm hit i smash up, then i spam down on my C stck to force the Dair ASAP, Kirby will begin to make a sharp curve through the air, as he does guide ur DI towards the corner..
How exactly do you get that into your system? I've tried doing it and it only came out like once or twice >.>. Thing is, i have that "reflex" to airdodge as soon as im hit. And the number of times when i actually remembered to do it, it was too late. I know that it simply takes time and practice to work it on, but there's gotta be an easier way X_x.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
How exactly do you get that into your system? I've tried doing it and it only came out like once or twice >.>. Thing is, i have that "reflex" to airdodge as soon as im hit. And the number of times when i actually remembered to do it, it was too late. I know that it simply takes time and practice to work it on, but there's gotta be an easier way X_x.
lol i put a poster board above my TV that said Dair in big letters lol that helped me a lot

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Haha! Maybe I should do that... I have a tendency to try to DI with both normal and C sticks, ad that almost always leads to Fairs, with every character, which, in turn leads to many facepalms.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Good for you! Everybody has a different method for when it comes to learning/adjusting yourself into doing something. Hopefully I'll be able to do frequently too one day as well! :)

Kaiasian

Smash Cadet
haha, should do that, cause sometimes i end up getting KOed... and then i realize i didn't DI properly

Flipstar

Smash Journeyman
Questions, so when i'm hit to the side I dair and DI up correct?

And when i'm hit up I dair and DI to the corner?

And after i'm done with dair i jump and hammer?

Sorry if i'm over simplifying things.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
Questions, so when i'm hit to the side I dair and DI up correct?

And when i'm hit up I dair and DI to the corner?

And after i'm done with dair i jump and hammer?

Sorry if i'm over simplifying things.
yup thats exactly it, u should be aiming for the corner regardless of what way u get hit

Top Bottom