• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Air Bud: Sky High- HYPE overflowing! Are you ready? - July 27th, 2013 - Columbus, OH

Oblivion

Smash Journeyman
Oblivion doesn't know what Swiss is. -_-;;
WTP already corrected me.

I played in an online Swiss Tourney a few years ago and everyone played everyone. So I guess it was incorrectly called Swiss, it should have been called Round Robin :S

Oh I need a partner for P:M as well. I main Sheik and second Zard. I understand the game/know how to abuse Sheik so I'd be a solid partner. Is anyone interested? Holler.
I'll team if you pay for me :V

LOE1

Smash Lord
i'd only do pm dubz if I could get 2nd place at least. $10 for it is kinda stretching me entering it.

ravemaster47

Smash Ace
NNID
ravemaster47
Swiss normally takes forever to finish. Assuming each stage (which there's only like what? 6 including counter pick?) Each match in the worst case would take roughly 30 minutes each assuming everyone timed people out. I'm fine with any method except swiss.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Swiss normally takes forever to finish. Assuming each stage (which there's only like what? 6 including counter pick?) Each match in the worst case would take roughly 30 minutes each assuming everyone timed people out. I'm fine with any method except swiss.

For those interested in the math:

8 players double elimination:

WR1 (8 players) - 4 sets
LR1 (4 players)- 2 sets [2 eliminated; 6 left]
WR2 (4 players) - 2 sets
LR2 (4 players) - 2 sets [2 eliminated; 4 left]
WR3, WF(2 players) - 1 set
LR3 (2 players) - 1 set [1 eliminated; 3 left]
LR4, LF (2 players) - 1 set [1 eliminated; 2 left]
GF (2 players)- 1 set [1 eliminated; 1 victor]

14 sets, maximum setups possible = 4

Sets per player:
0-2 = 2 sets [50% of the players minimum]
1-2 = 3 sets[25%]
2-2 = 4 sets
3-2 = 5 sets
4-0 = 4 sets

Most sets possible being 5

Longest possible tourney time = 5.6 hours

8 players swiss for victor

24 sets, maximum setups possible = 4

Sets per player: 3

Longest possible tourney time = 9.6 hours for an additional 10 sets

In reality Swiss finishes as fast or faster than bracket; I'm sure none of you have seen an 8 man tournament go 5.6 hours.

Brittleorgans

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0946-3139-5325
I could use a Brawl doubles teammate. Also, I might enter Project M doubles if there will be at least one other team of players like me who don't play it are entering. I just don't want to be the only one getting bodied. :)

LOE1

Smash Lord
i like this idea

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
I probably won't be able to drink anymore unless my lungs actually ****ing get fixed. there would be a rare chance that I don't go if it worsen. I'll figure it out by friday. I'm like dying x.x

Overswarm

is laughing at you
eh, I just can't rectify the Brawl situation.

I mean

"Starters
Battlefield
Final Destination
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Yoshi’s Island (Brawl)

Counterpicks
Pokemon Stadium 1"

That's embarrassing on a level bordering on insulting so unnecessary I cannot comprehend. It's like someone said "what's the best way to make a stagelist as boring and one-sided as possible, so only certain characters receive advantageous stages?" and then slammed their head into a drawer for half an hour in celebratory climax with Olimars and Ice Climbers and Snakes all dancing naked on his table to the theme of Cowboy Bebop while he screams "BY THE WAY, EVEN THOUGH FINAL DESTINATION HAS BEEN SHOWN TO BE THE MOST ONE SIDED COUNTERPICK IN BRAWL'S HISTORY, WE ARE MAKING IT AND THE STAGES CLOSEST TO IT ALL STARTS. ALSO NO BANS."

Like looking at the PM/Brawl possibility and thinking about Smash 4 had me wondering "maybe I should get back into smash to practice" and then I saw the ruleset and I considered not playing Smash 4. That's how bad it is. Anyone who had a part in making that stagelist should feel bad, forever.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Oh, and because I'm a jerk who likes statistics and hates feelings:

The purpose of this stagelist is to regulate MK. Though it does, it also benefits ICs quite a bit. All I know is when this was used in Armageddon, there was positive feedback on this and I'm tired of seeing the Apex ruleset, so I wanted to change things up a little bit.

MK's top two counterpicks: Halberd and Delfino

After those two? Norfair, Smashville, Battlefield, Final Destination.

Those are from statistics collected from MLG's entire tournament series with the best players in the world repeatedly flying out. By and large, MK liked the starters.

The more counterpicks there are, the worse MKs perform. This has remained true for the entirety of Brawl.

Let's take Jungle Japes for example.

MK does okay on Jungle Japes, but he can really wreck some characters on JJapes.

G&W, DK, Falco, Wario, and Lucario however do WAY better against him on Japes.

MK does great on Rainbow Cruise.

G&W and Wario do better.

MK does fantastic on Norfair and had a high win %.

Know who did better? Wario and Sonic.

Sure is a good thing you banned Castle Siege, given that it was one of MK's worst performing stages.

People look at the game from the perspective of their character. They like stages they are good on and hate stages they are bad on. If their character is very limited (see: Falco, Ice Climbers, Olimar) they tend to like flat plat stages while characters with high mobility (Wario, G&W, MK, ROB, etc.) tend to do well on lots of other stages with more unique features and moving parts.

The problem is that moving those "moving parts" and non flat plat stages aren't necessarily best for the mobility characters simply because they do better on average. MK might beat several characters on Rainbow Cruise for example and be seen as a strong MK counterpick, but in reality it's a counterpick AGAINST MK for other characters. It's not that MK does well on the stages, it's that your character naturally sucks on them; when you take it away you simply give MK an advantage against everyone and remove counterpicks against MK.

"Brawl Ruleset (This awesome ruleset was taken from Kel!)"

But I actually enjoyed this rulset, so I'm punished for a ruleset I enjoy.

Enjoyment of a ruleset is irrelevant when it comes to competition. You're essentially running a tournament that is the equivalent of "let's play only on Spear Pillar guys".

Seriously, respect points lost.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
OS did you know that Kel made that stagelist and ran it at Armageddon and very few people complained about it?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
OS did you know that Kel made that stagelist and ran it at Armageddon and very few people complained about it?

Yeah, and I'm still giving him **** for it.

The same thing happened in Melee. Game starts off, whole list of characters being used. Tiers start to be determined, lots of strong counterpicks, lots of character variety. People start pocketing Fox for CPs because Fox is Fox, people start banning CPs. Character usage tumbles downards and focuses towards Fox, Falco, Marth, Sheik. Docs, Peaches, Luigis, Ganons, all of 'em start disappearing and people say "well they're not as good of characters" and don't realize that characters like the Ice Cilmbers and Falcon and Falco are all rising in popularity because they're good on the stages.

Do you think as the "can't we have two bans?" and "let's cut the stagelist down!" mentality increased that the changes to midwest results are a coincidence?

I've been here all along watching the character curve. MK has remained popular forever with Snake in #2, and as the stagelist shrunk we saw more Falcos (which killed off the D3 numbers), then Diddys, then ICs, then Olimars, and everything else just started dropping off. It's the same as in Melee, except instead of pocket Fox it's pocket MK or pocket IC.

1: Judo ($163) :sheik:
2: Kero ($75) :olimar:
3: Kel ($47) :metaknight: :marth:
4: Joey ($27) :olimar::peach:
5: Mister Eric ($14) :rob: :popo:
5: Sorasin ($14) :falco:
7: Ralph Cecil :snake:
7: Lumi :wolf: :metaknight:

What changed?

SoulPech

Smash Master
OS, I know you have a burning passion for stagelists, but please don't take it to this thread. Please take it to PMs . I'm not allowing this discussion carry anymore.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
OS, I know you have a burning passion for stagelists, but please don't take it to this thread. Please take it to PMs . I'm not allowing this discussion carry anymore.

PMs with who? I'm complaining to everyone >:|

Overswarm

is laughing at you
How does OS write novels so fast?...

Starcraft 1. No voice chat playing 2v2s, had to type commands to your teammate while having over 100+ apm means you learn to type 100 wpm or faster in a hurry. Not being dumb means I can write as I go most of the time unless I'm looking up numbers.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'm kinda agreeing with OS on this. :/

It's too late for him to change it now, even if a lot or even most really agreed as it wouldn't be fair to those who had planned on attending with that ruleset.

But you should still shame him and glare disapprovingly and not share ANY ice cream.

W.C.N

Smash Lord
This stage list is so small wtf, and lylatt is a freaking neutral still

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Do you guys not read threads before going to events? O_o

Go to the event and just tell the TO "hey, this stagelist is ****ing stupid, please have a stagelist that makes sense" and then next time an event is posted complain in advance. I would have but I didn't know this even existed til I was told about it. The stage list sucks and I can't support it, but if you didn't like it earlier you should have spoke up earlier! It's not Soul's fault he didn't get feedback until the last minute. Enjoy your tournament and convince TOs to make future ones better.

Something about Columbus makes me continually not get involved with Smash.

Pick up PM, hey this is fun, maybe I can get a KY scene together! Get people over for smash, set up a smashfest with Columbus to introduce us to it and get the locals excited about a smash scene again. Repeat twice with Columbus canceling both times, all Project M hype for Cincinnati disappears except for Dr. X.

Go to Brawl tournament, first time in a year and don't know what I'm doing. Win Melee, do better than I should have in Brawl. Think about Smash 4, get told there's a PM/Brawl tournament in Columbus and know I can beat most of midwest in PM. Maybe it'd be good to practice for Brawl for Smash 4, maybe now's the time to get back into it. Talk to Cincinnati about carpool to Columbus, go on forums read stage list, immediately stop looking for tournaments and cancel plans.

Something about Columbus.

Maestro_

Court Composer
NNID
Maestro227
3DS FC
3411-1820-5923
>.>

<.<

So back to things that actually matter in this thread... Still need a teammate for Project M. Anyone?

Top Bottom