• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Air Bud: Sky High- HYPE overflowing! Are you ready? - July 27th, 2013 - Columbus, OH

LOE1

Smash Lord
i'd only do pm dubz if I could get 2nd place at least. $10 for it is kinda stretching me entering it.
idunno if we could get top 2 tho maestro tho lol. i kinda just dont wanna throw $10 out the window. if it was $5 i'd consider it.

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
eh, I just can't rectify the Brawl situation.

I mean

"Starters
Battlefield
Final Destination
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Yoshi’s Island (Brawl)

Counterpicks
Pokemon Stadium 1"

That's embarrassing on a level bordering on insulting so unnecessary I cannot comprehend. It's like someone said "what's the best way to make a stagelist as boring and one-sided as possible, so only certain characters receive advantageous stages?" and then slammed their head into a drawer for half an hour in celebratory climax with Olimars and Ice Climbers and Snakes all dancing naked on his table to the theme of Cowboy Bebop while he screams "BY THE WAY, EVEN THOUGH FINAL DESTINATION HAS BEEN SHOWN TO BE THE MOST ONE SIDED COUNTERPICK IN BRAWL'S HISTORY, WE ARE MAKING IT AND THE STAGES CLOSEST TO IT ALL STARTS. ALSO NO BANS."

Like looking at the PM/Brawl possibility and thinking about Smash 4 had me wondering "maybe I should get back into smash to practice" and then I saw the ruleset and I considered not playing Smash 4. That's how bad it is. Anyone who had a part in making that stagelist should feel bad, forever.

no offense but you tried putting custom stages you have 0 rights to talk about stagelist ...

JTsm

Smash Master
Wow, assumed 5$ for PM.

Now I'm not throwing money over to brawl ;/

SoulPech

Smash Master
How about we stop talking about a stagelist that has already been established and talk about the tournament that'll happen in the next 2 days shall we? Please and thank you.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
no offense but you tried putting custom stages you have 0 rights to talk about stagelist ...

Equity actually became a popular choice for both Pierce and M2K when they were here! They became frequent stage choices as well, and were ultimately a success. Our events had 70+, 36, 41, and 51 entrants.

The custom stages were tested as a potential solution to the problem of people complaining about counterpicks. It was originally proposed in the backroom by myself and a handful of others before Brawl was even released and I stepped up to the plate to test it because we all knew that the stage list would inevitably share the same fate as Melee. If they worked, we could take something like Norfair and replace with a stage with similar traits with no lava jets and make the platforms not as far apart so as not to remove the CP, but to solve the issues people had with it. It could even be possible to create our OWN stages that encouraged aggressive play (defensive play was a concern at the time) or were designed for certain playstyles or characters to help balance the stage list!

The custom stages had some work and some not (Equity and Libra worked, the Norfair clone and Abyss did not)

I ultimately abandoned custom stages myself and my report to the back room was basically "custom stages work and work well, but we're extremely limited in what stages we can create with the stage builder and it's really difficult to go around with an SD card to everyone's Wii and make sure everything is set up properly. Plus it's annoying for stage striking since the custom stage doesn't appear!"

Later on, the Brawl+ and PM crew and others created their own custom stages, a half dozen at least of which are in this very tournament's PM stagelist.

Considering you're entering an event using custom stages and I had the foresight to successfully test a potential solution to a problem that didn't exist 3 years ago and is now a problem at this very event, I think I'm more qualified than most to talk about stagelists.

Edit: this is supposed to be collapses, wtf is the collapse code

What's The Point

Smash Master
The only people who post are MI. Who cares. What other random bull**** do you want us to talk about? OS's complaining actually facilitates conversation.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Why does MI post so much? I understand individuals, but it's been your state for years.

It's generally accepted that towards the beginning of an event you want more information and posts related to attendance, carpools, and "hype" for the event. My posting is legitimate, but not what Soul wants because he wants his event to go well and mine is negative in nature or is responding to other posts in-thread that aren't directly associated with his event in a positive manner. There's not really much you can do about someone having a conversation about a dumb ruleset, but it can be upsetting to a TO prior to an event because they sometimes hold a personal stake in the outcome. To some it can be embarrassing or disheartening if there is low attendance, and low attendance removes excitement.

It's kinda like having a birthday dinner for someone but then someone says "Well I don't want Chinese" and the discussion focuses on what restaurant to go to. It's important and relevant, but the parent hosting the birthday dinner would prefer the emphasis be on the celebration. It's not their fault that people didn't speak up earlier or read the invitation more closely and are just now discovering that everything costs $10 and the Brawl stagelist is garbage.

The metaphor broke down at teh end, but you get the idea.

What's The Point

Smash Master
I think the MI thread being so active always kept everyone bring active on the boards. A lot of regions eventually started using social sites, mostly Facebook or AiB, to gather for smash related stuff. But MI always went to the MI thread to mass talk about smashfest and travel plans. Then when you are waiting on a forum conversation you have time and since you are on the boards may as well look at other threads. Then it just happens that a lot of MI people like to post while browsing.

ravemaster47

Smash Ace
NNID
ravemaster47
I do what I want. When i want, and how I want. So now, its time for me to bludgeon everyone with said gauntlet.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Pick up PM, hey this is fun, maybe I can get a KY scene together! Get people over for smash, set up a smashfest with Columbus to introduce us to it and get the locals excited about a smash scene again. Repeat twice with Columbus canceling both times, all Project M hype for Cincinnati disappears except for Dr. X.

I'm soooooorryyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Though, I do agree that Columbus sucks for organization (of people) sometimes.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'm soooooorryyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Though, I do agree that Columbus sucks for organization (of people) sometimes.

Stuff happens, just know that scenes live and die by people making sacrifices. When Brawl first started I personally drove 4.5 hours two ways nearly every weekend to visit South Bend Indiana, Ann Arbor Michigan, places in Indiana, OUGA events in Athens, and occasionally got lucky for Lexington/Louisville events that only took an hour and a half. I hate driving, but I did it and the midwest scene blew up because we had me driving a car load of 5 people to every event from Cincinnati and people like me from other cities doing the same thing.

When Project M comes out and me, Tako, Dr. X, Lumi, Sorasin, Kassandra, and Scarecrow are all wondering about it and we find that there's literally 0 people from outside of our area playing the game and it's merely a "eh, I'll play it if Brawl's there" event, it kinda kills the competitive spirit. =P

SoulPech

Smash Master
DAKOTA YOU BETTER NOT POST ANYTHING YET!

SOMEONE HELP DAKOTA WITH GAS, ENTRY, TOURNAMENT STUFF, ETC. IT'S ALMOST HIS BIRTHDAY AND HE NEEDS TO COME TO MY TOURNEY ;~;

FF WuvS

Smash Ace
NNID
Lostmagic103
Wow, whoa, calm yourself Colten lol :dr^_^: I hardly post anything, anyways.
You make it sound like the end of the world if I miss this. No promises, but I'll try to figure out something ┐( ̄ー ̄)┌

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
DAKOTA YOU BETTER NOT POST ANYTHING YET!

SOMEONE HELP DAKOTA WITH GAS, ENTRY, TOURNAMENT STUFF, ETC. IT'S ALMOST HIS BIRTHDAY AND HE NEEDS TO COME TO MY TOURNEY ;~;
no

Stuff happens, just know that scenes live and die by people making sacrifices. When Brawl first started I personally drove 4.5 hours two ways nearly every weekend to visit South Bend Indiana, Ann Arbor Michigan, places in Indiana, OUGA events in Athens, and occasionally got lucky for Lexington/Louisville events that only took an hour and a half. I hate driving, but I did it and the midwest scene blew up because we had me driving a car load of 5 people to every event from Cincinnati and people like me from other cities doing the same thing.

When Project M comes out and me, Tako, Dr. X, Lumi, Sorasin, Kassandra, and Scarecrow are all wondering about it and we find that there's literally 0 people from outside of our area playing the game and it's merely a "eh, I'll play it if Brawl's there" event, it kinda kills the competitive spirit. =P
and i know the feeling, OS. that's kinda how I felt about it at first (and I guess still do?)

i am fortunate that i am not that good and that I have access to Ally, Zinoto, Carls (I guess you if/when I go to Cincinnati/Kentucky) and more recently Chicago/Pitt (in ZHime, at least online) to keep me cultivated. Oh and I guess other Columbus which is mostly mythical but sometimes is a thing.

now there is nerd rage next month, people wanting me to travel to their region to play, Big House 3 by Juggleguy and now APEX to look forward to for PM to me (and a buffed Watch, but w/e I guess).

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Yep. I had a blast at APEX, 10/10 would do again.

Planning my trip to APEX now, actually. I literally had 0 issues with the trip, the experience, meeting friends, playing PM, meeting FGC homies, watching games, nothing.

Top Bottom