• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ah uh ah ah ahhhh ah uhhhh, very fun week. I'm sick now, but it was all fun and. . .

Rickety

Peace and Love

Pekkle

Smash Rookie
1st video:
1:13 - eww, shouldn't have done that
1:24 - why don't you wavedash -> edgehog instead of waiting for him?
1:38 - WD -> edgehog next time, and wait for him to use up B before rolling onto stage - fall off edge and use a bair to avoid that kick, instead of rolling and letting him get back onto the stage
1:44 - again, should have WD edgehogged there
1:57 - nice punishment + spacing
2:06 - should have thrown down/up to start a combo, like how mario up to 2:12
2:19 - lol, pilled him in the face
2:40 - really bad recovery...try to recover lower, since if you come back too high you will get punished (sweetspot edge)
3:26 - nice spacing
3:46 - SH->edgehog is slow
4:09 - niiiiiiiiiice

General comments:
-WD->edgehog is faster, try using that more
-when recovering, sweetspot the edge instead of recovering high
-throw up/down is better than sides
-nice doc, i like your WD, spacing, and movement

hhliveson

Smash Cadet
pretty nice so far, but you may want to try this out:

1. switch up on pills... don't always pill on a full jump because it becomes predictable.
2. edgehog, you dont have to WD into it but just edgehog somehow
3. try downthrow to fair at higher percentages for an easy kill
4. use the sex kick to your advantage, it eats up all projectiles and moves forward. you can use that to punish mario's fireball

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Overall, pretty good. All my critques are in the video comments, but here are some things I couldn't fit on one post on the third video:
"You never wave dash forward for the assault. Mix up your approaches. SHBAWD is your friend. Yeah... cut back on the dash forward to WD back... a lot."

EDIT: No, you can't Nair Falco's lasers... if only.

Vitaminless22

Smash Rookie
More Cowbel......I mean sex kick......And by that I mean try to approach with it more to mix it up with ur pill rushes.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
i approve, Sir Rickety.
looks like u and ur oponent play each other often or have cuz both of ya'll exert a specific style no more complex than needed be....plus this is mario vs. doc, so with those things in mind, i think any advice should be taken w/ a grain of salt, since this is not like a tournament match against a high tier from a random good player.
but yea..anyway, i think ur doc is pretty sweet.
i like the sidestep-turnaround-d.smash usage and the defensive ground game.

One thing i could think of, is the overuse of 'Dash-reverse WD'. I think its a great tool, but it may further benefit you if u mixed it up w/ other feints as well, such as an empty SH to reverse WD, and...well..u don't shuffle offense all that much to begin with.
I'd like to see more sex kick shuffles into Jabs. they work pretty well versus mario if u can pull it smooth enough to avoid the shield grab.
Maybe once you get ur oponent paranoid of shuffles, some empty shuffles to reverse WDs would work well, on top of some empty shuffles to grab.
Iunno...i'm just making crap up that u could experiment w/ and just find what works for u, cuz just from my own experience, i used to dash-reverse-WD too much, and eventually it just kept getting me in trouble (it still does, sometimes, lol)

You don't really use D.air. I think its underrated move. I find full jumping over the oponent while D.Airing (to guard urself as u pass to the other side of them) and falling w/ b.air/etc, to be an odd, cool trick to throw out once in a while, as well as in close quarters to pass through a shield into some jabs, or while recovering from the edge.

i think i just recapped what others have been saying, so i hope its not redundant at this point, but anyway..yea, i enjoyed watching ur doc. makes me wish i could get some new vids up (no cam, anymore) :/

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
i
You don't really use D.air. I think its underrated move. I find full jumping over the oponent while D.Airing (to guard urself as u pass to the other side of them) and falling w/ b.air/etc, to be an odd, cool trick to throw out once in a while, as well as in close quarters to pass through a shield into some jabs, or while recovering from the edge.
Ya know, i've always wondered wtf people used that for.

I went down to FL and played a mario and he did that. And I saw the SFL tourney that green mario won.

Granted they're both marios, i figured that was one of those general things, but i just never really understood the use of doing a FJ d.air. It just seemed... unsafe.

Never though of using it to setup b.airs though.

Thanks for mentioning that.

Rickety

Peace and Love
i approve, Sir Rickety. . .but yea..anyway, i think ur doc is pretty sweet.
i like the sidestep-turnaround-d.smash usage and the defensive ground game. . . but anyway..yea, i enjoyed watching ur doc.
WOW! <3

Cyphus saw my videos??? Yay! :]

I'm gonna try even harder to get good with Doc now!

Thank you everyone!

<3
rick(ety)

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
you seem very modest to me rick. In fact, your Doc's better than mine but I will critique anyways.

First video FD.
very good but on FD I would short hop pill more as you've got loads of space to do it in. Your Cape edgeguarding should be done a lot more IMO. If you notice that your opponent has to upB to make it back then you may as well just wait on the platform. Your movement was very good.

Second (dream land)
got unlucky on this one with the mario's awesome start and that SD. But hey, everyone SDs sometimes. other than that I thought it wasn't too bad. Perhaps instead of Dsmashing you could grab instead and start a combo from there. Again, look for the cape- it's an easy kill with Marios upB.

Third (pokemon stadium)
here I thought you could have taken advantage of the fact that the mario was keeping his distance. Instead of reflecting the fireballs jump them and pill. Pills do a lot of damage so you may as well keep on throwing em and let him come to you.

And another general comment- as cyphus said shffl nair more

Hope that helped :grin:

Mix

Smash Cadet
well everyone has pretty much said it but ill just put a lil into it. waaayyy too many full jump pills. if they know youre going to full jump pill and land RIGHT infront of them for a downsmash (which is still a good thing to spam sometimes) they will just sheild grab or smash you before you even touch the ground. try short hop pill alot. or run away turn around pill if theyre advancing on you.

Rickety

Peace and Love
Thank you for the continued support, everyone :]

Hopefully I will be able to Represent6 Doc well at tomorrow's tournament! :]

<3
rick(ety)

Top Bottom