• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Age diffrences in Tourny's, Does it affect you?

poorboy93

Smash Cadet
Ok, I am a freshman in highschool wich means im 14 going on 15
For some reason, I feel uncomfortable playing in a tourny with people 18+.

Do you guys think that its natural not wanting to compete with 18+ year old adults, even though it might increase our skill in brawl just because there older?

Btw I like to start my own tourneys in my house with some friends, or people around my age group, so if your around my age, live in the bay area in cali, msg me, cause I like meeting new people

Vshadow

Smash Rookie
I'm a junior in high school and it doesn't really bother me to play with people older or yonunger. It's kinda fun playing with older people who think that age differences make major differences in gaming skill, then when you beat them they have no clue whats going on.

Samus-T

Smash Lord
i too am a junior in highschool and i dont feel uncomfortable either. maybe its because i hang out with people that are older than me on a regular basis anyway XD

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
I'm a college freshmen, so I feel like If it right in... it is those anime expos where I'm uncomfortable *cringes at the though of Man Faye*

Corigames

Smash Hero
If there is anyone in highschool that can beat me at melee, I'd be very sad. We are suppose to look to our elders for advice through their experience. It should be only natural that oder people have more experience with gaming in general, let alone specific genres or franchises.

If you play with older people, at least more experienced older people, you should be able to learn from them, even if they beat you. If anything, I'd say just go to the tournament and watch. Try to make friends with those who are older than you. Hang out with them, and you will become better. (Unless they are perverts... then you may have a problem)

poorboy93

Smash Cadet
If you play with older people, at least more experienced older people, you should be able to learn from them, even if they beat you. If anything, I'd say just go to the tournament and watch. Try to make friends with those who are older than you. Hang out with them, and you will become better. (Unless they are perverts... then you may have a problem)
Yeah but like, It feels kinds weird, going to tourneys where theres 18+ guys that you dont know, and they try to get to know you and thats where the akwardness starts...
If im not introduced to them if there older, then im not going to talk to them, iono im not a shy person, but like yeahhh
Than parents start asking questions, whether if i got ***** or not? XD AHAHA
well thats how i feel about it

Corigames

Smash Hero
ever play mango? >;D
Yes, I did. I play Samus and I got two stacks off of him in both matches I played. He was a cool dude. From what I hear, he's never lost to a Samus, so taking what I could was good enough for me, especially considering how the finals of that day went with him vs Forward.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
Yeah but like, It feels kinds weird, going to tourneys where theres 18+ guys that you dont know, and they try to get to know you and thats where the akwardness starts...
If im not introduced to them if there older, then im not going to talk to them, iono im not a shy person, but like yeahhh
No johns, son!

I'm a freshman in high school as well and I'm perfectly fine with this :/

c0nn0r is 6 months younger than me (accurate to about a 3-day radius) and he doesn't really have an issue with it either.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I went home to WV over one of my breaks and got in touch with the scene there. When they showed up, they were a crew of high schoolers, the best in state. I beat them, and I hope they learned something. Do they think I was weird? Well, that's up to them. I'd just say, give them a chance, or go to tournaments frequently and find out who are the the ones who constantly come back.

Samus-T

Smash Lord
Yes, I did. I play Samus and I got two stacks off of him in both matches I played. He was a cool dude. From what I hear, he's never lost to a Samus, so taking what I could was good enough for me, especially considering how the finals of that day went with him vs Forward.
so you have lost to a kid in highschool... lol jk XD

Corigames

Smash Hero
so you have lost to a kid in highschool... lol jk XD
Hey, I would be willing to play him agian. Who knows what would happen? I've gotten better since then... uh... actually. Brawl has been messing up my melee play. Maybe I'll just have to play him Brawl side.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
I'd love to play a really good younger player. Not trying to stereotype anything, but the younger players in high school and stuff don't seem to be particularly good at Smash (Melee, 64, Brawl, or otherwise...>_>).

Samus-T

Smash Lord
doooood same here. i played melee the other day and the brawl physics totally threw me off, no johns i know haha. oh and btw mango isnt good at brawl haha. he hates it he placed like 15th at a tourney we went to last weekend XD

poorboy93

Smash Cadet
No johns, son!

I'm a freshman in high school as well and I'm perfectly fine with this :/

c0nn0r is 6 months younger than me (accurate to about a 3-day radius) and he doesn't really have an issue with it either.
Ahaha if I go in a tourny, and thinking back now, if theres atleast 1 person around my age, than I'll feel comfortable, but like im accostumed as teenager to hang around people my age, so changing something like that, its gonna be weird, yah know? but like anything I think I could get used to it.... maybe ahahah

Samus-T

Smash Lord
I'd love to play a really good younger player. Not trying to stereotype anything, but the younger players in high school and stuff don't seem to be particularly good at Smash (Melee, 64, Brawl, or otherwise...>_>).
im down to play u in brawl or melee. were u at the ucsd tourney last weekend?

Starscream

Smash Ace
I went to one Melee tournament like 2 years ago. The age difference wasn't so bad. It was more uncomfortable being new because everyone was so tight knit and knew each other.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
I know, it's pretty nice, eh? Too bad SWF has such a small size limit on sigs. I really liked that post because "Go back to Melee" is the most ****ing infuriating ****ing bull**** ******* piece of festering bull ****ing **** **** **** **** **** **** ***** bull**** ever. I don't want to explain myself a thousand times, but I kinda want to leave that quote that G-Mo put in my sig.

poorboy93

Smash Cadet
I went to one Melee tournament like 2 years ago. The age difference wasn't so bad. It was more uncomfortable being new because everyone was so tight knit and knew each other.
Ahaha thats one issue I have, like you have to ask yourself, why did I go here alone? or what am I doing this in the 1st place? cause no one wants to be a loner

Samus-T

Smash Lord
lol ya it was a brawl tourney. pretty good turn out. sucks... u missed the first big brawl tournament in socal XD

Corigames

Smash Hero
I know, it's pretty nice, eh? Too bad SWF has such a small size limit on sigs. I really liked that post because "Go back to Melee" is the most ****ing infuriating ****ing bull**** ******* piece of festering bull ****ing **** **** **** **** **** **** ***** bull**** ever. I don't want to explain myself a thousand times, but I kinda want to leave that quote that G-Mo put in my sig.
Yeah, I hate that and the "you can't compare melee to brawl" threads. I get sooo mad at that crap.

Anyway... back to the thread.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
Yeah, I hate that and the "you can't compare melee to brawl" threads. I get sooo mad at that crap.

Anyway... back to the thread.
Hay coreygaems, is you hittin up G00p's crib on da fif of April? It'd be fly as **** if someone could bring a melee setup and we could hit dat **** all day. Iowanna hit dat weak *** Brawl ganja that most people will be takin to that mess. Ya dig?

Tiwaz

Smash Cadet
I'm a junior in high school, and I don't really have a problem with that. I have friends that are in seventh grade and those that are 30+.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Hay coreygaems, is you hittin up G00p's crib on da fif of April? It'd be fly as **** if someone could bring a melee setup and we could hit dat **** all day. Iowanna hit dat weak *** Brawl ganja that most people will be takin to that mess. Ya dig?
Yes, but I need a ride from anyone.

whoady4shoady

Smash Apprentice
Ok, I am a freshman in highschool wich means im 14 going on 15
For some reason, I feel uncomfortable playing in a tourny with people 18+.

Do you guys think that its natural not wanting to compete with 18+ year old adults, even though it might increase our skill in brawl just because there older?

Btw I like to start my own tourneys in my house with some friends, or people around my age group, so if your around my age, live in the bay area in cali, msg me, cause I like meeting new people
Just remember this. It has been scientifically proven that the younger you are the faster your reflexes. Take that as you will. I am 25 now, and I know for sure that my reflexes arent the same as my young NES and super NES days. :crying:

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
It shouldn't affect you.

IIRC, Smash players aren't the type of people who invite you to their car for candy or try to **** you.

Adriel

Smash Journeyman
I'm also a freshmen and have been playing smash for 9 years, but I only just starting playing competitively for a few months. I am better than everyone around my age, so as long as I have someone with me, I don't mind playing against older people. If you aren't already, I recommend bringing a sister, brother, friend, or anyone and it shouldn't be too weird.

A New Challenger

Smash Apprentice
I was playing fighters on the comp. scene at 15, so no... Then again, I'm almost 22 now, so I grew up in the SFII heyday where you either played the 18 year olds crowded around the machine, or you didn't play.

Guess whose Guile upset a whole lot of 18 year olds at age 8? ^_^

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Something you gotta remember, the competitive smash scene was basically invented by those of us who are now 20+. Melee came out in, what, 01? Considering you gotta be at least 14-15 to have the patience to play a game competitively on a serious level, even the youngest competitive smashers back then would now be 20 minimum. Most of us aren't gonna stop playing now just cause we can drink :p

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
When I went to Melee-FCD, I had no partner for the doubles tourney, so I doubled with some random guy who was over 18, 19 or 20 I think. Anyway, I was only 15 at the time, but through a common interest in smash and nintendo games in general, we were talking and laughing with each other like best friends in a matter of minutes. It wasn't uncomfortable at all.

On topic, people tell me I'm really good for my age, but that might just be because everyone else sucks too.
lol, people (ages 20-22) tell me that too; they go "how old are you", and when I tell them my age they say I'm really good for my age. I usually say something like: "What are you talking about, you still beat me, anyway, what does age have to do with skill?"

you know, because older people ask me my age and encourage me only when they win. If I win they just get pissed.

Top Bottom