• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice? :]

ILoveRice

Smash Apprentice
well a couple months ago i asked for help with my fox but on the wrong board :[ and i have gotten some advice and i followed them and I am pretty sure i have gotten better but I still need to improve I was wondering if you could give me advice again :]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0PJpZwr3kg&feature=channel_page

here's a vid of me recently.. there's more vids but it is currently not uploaded and please ignore my friend's terrible and ******** commentary..

new vids :]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQX0eB2nh54&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVkLT4b8R4E&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP9R7Hh_kjo&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQEIeb4j9C4&feature=channel_page

Miggz

Pancake Sandwiches
You have to smooth out your movement just a bit. A handful of your wavedashes were too small. You also need to work on your waveshining. You became stuck in your shine in your attempts. Your grab game was very puzzling too. Never forward throw a Marth a low percents in the middle of the stage. Use your up throw and then use use your uair. You also have a habit of double jumping around Marth when he comes back to life. A good player would have caught on smacked you right out of your double jump.

Your edge guarding also needs some work. Get into the habit of grabbing the edge and stall (by grabbing and letting go the edge or fire fox stall) to renew your invulnerable frames and intercept Marth with your bair and/or shine. Oh and when you knock Marth off the stage don't run away from the level. You should stay near the edge and apply pressure. You can apply pressure using your SHFFL dair to shines or simply grab the edge like I mentioned before.

Hope this helped. Keep smashing. XD

ILoveRice

Smash Apprentice
thank you very much but if they DI the U-throw can I bair it instead..? i usually do that.. it still like hits.. :o since im not very good at U-throwing>u-air if they di it >.<

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
That commentator is horrible.

You need to work on your movement and the basic stuff. Work on getting out of your shine faster while waveshining. Make sure that when you hit with the shine it guarantees a grab or usmash. Shine vs. Marth should usually = free hit of some sort. Grab-uthrow-uair more. It ***** Marth.

Your Fox's movement looks unrefined. At certain points in the match, it felt as if movement issues held you back from punishing and approaching your opponent. Try to work on navigating around enemies and stages with ease in relation to spacing. Basically, I'm trying to say that you need to work on your Dashdancing.

Good luck!

Miggz

Pancake Sandwiches
thank you very much but if they DI the U-throw can I bair it instead..? i usually do that.. it still like hits.. :o since im not very good at U-throwing>u-air if they di it >.<
Bair would be a good idea to use in that kind of scenario. Just keep practicing and you'll get better at it.

ILoveRice

Smash Apprentice
That commentator is horrible.

You need to work on your movement and the basic stuff. Work on getting out of your shine faster while waveshining. Make sure that when you hit with the shine it guarantees a grab or usmash. Shine vs. Marth should usually = free hit of some sort. Grab-uthrow-uair more. It ***** Marth.

Your Fox's movement looks unrefined. At certain points in the match, it felt as if movement issues held you back from punishing and approaching your opponent. Try to work on navigating around enemies and stages with ease in relation to spacing. Basically, I'm trying to say that you need to work on your Dashdancing.

Good luck!
thanks raynex your fox is amazing :]

Sanu

Smash Champion
MEAT RIDING!!! The only way to fly. Don't worry, RaynEX has two ***** to himself ;D

ILoveRice

Smash Apprentice
ya the commentator part was a joke at our location of our friendlies there was a mic and tape so we were like hey why not? :]

should be vids later... or tommorow.

Miggz

Pancake Sandwiches
Wow, you posted new vids quick. lol

Well I must say compared to your past videos I can see you are a bit better in your edge guarding (nice shine spikes) and you smoothed out your movement too. I also saw some upthrow to uair combo in this time around so that was good to see. Ok now for the advice.

Although you improved on your edge guarding it still needs more work. It was good to see you grab the edge when you got Marth off...BUT you forgot to renew your invulnerable frames. Remember, when you grab the edge let go of it and re-grab it until Marth is in shine/bair zone. I can tell you get really nervous when Marth gets you off the level. You kept doing non sweet spot Fire Foxes aimed well above the stage. Yeah don't do that...like ever. Either angle it so you can sweet spot from above or fall below the stage and sweet spot from underneath.

Just try to relax and think more. If he throws/knocks you off at low percent don't double jump back and use Side B/Up B. Just continue to fall a bit and try to sweet spot the edge with your second jump, instead of using it jump backwards. Of course, I'm not saying to keep doing this, but that is your safest method at that percent anyway.

Oh and those lasers got you in trouble a few times. Practice shooting them fluidly and avoid shooting Marth at point blank range. Lasers are to make Marth come to you so as soon as you seem him come stop firing. Your wave shining game is getting there...just keep practicing, I know you are capable of doing it more consistent. Good work, keep up the good work. :)

ILoveRice

Smash Apprentice
ya i do get afraid sometimes because i DISLIKE getting killed by that darn F-smash... >.< and about the lasers.. is it better to SHDL than SHL? because i cannot really perform the SHDL and I think i need to practice wavedash a little more since i only extend only sometimes...

Miggz

Pancake Sandwiches
Erm, I think short hop single lasers are more safer and allow more mobility then SHDL. I normally use SHDL after I take a stock for showing off. =P

But if you wish to learn SHDL for th fun of it...all you have to do is literally slide (not lift) your finger from Y to B. XD

EWC

Smash Ace
SHDL does damage faster if both lasers hit, but that usually requires frame perfection. The point of lasers is to bait your opponent anyway, and SHL allows more mobility, if you can do advancing and retreating ones well, so it's better. Don't bother practicing SHDl, because it's just a matter of finger speed. After playing fox for a while, you will soon reach the point where it's trivially easy to do.

ILoveRice

Smash Apprentice
oh... that's why players use SHDL to camp and SHL for to move around. I use X to jump.. and using Y for me seems SO weird.. :o but i wish to SHDL so i can camp.. :o because i think that i am to aggressive

Miggz

Pancake Sandwiches
Yeah Y* is easier, but I can't recall too many people (at least on other Forums anyway) that admit they too jump with Y. I suppose it does depend on who you play and whatnot..

EWC

Smash Ace
I started off using X for all of my jumping. I still use it for most, but I use y for SHDL, waveshines, etc. and up for really fast shine->anything. Just start using it for stuff, and you'll adapt really fast.

ILoveRice

Smash Apprentice
bleh ._. tourney saturday.... new vids next week.. and.. I usually once a week play my friend and he seems to play annoying chars such as Jiggs,Samus but i do not have trouble with them at all because he's not that good... worse than jmlee :o but it's just so weird to play people who main those chars that are at a higher level... >.< samus's recovery and CCing is just really annoying... >.< if my friend was a better samus player i would be very angry.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Samus is a ***** to play unless you're Captain Falcon. Not a bad matchup necessarily, just frustrating. Against Jigglypuff it's easy, camp camp camp camp camp, DD to grab U Throw U Air/U Smash in kill percentage or whenever you think the grab is safe. You should also work on the U Throw to U Air timing on Jigglypuff before you play him, it's pretty different.

ILoveRice

Smash Apprentice
oh... >.< whenever i attempt a U-throw to u-air it never works... >.< and when i use CF for samus i do not really like it... since i cannot really TechChase her..

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I watched the first 2 matches (FoD and FD). Fountain is one of my worst stages in Fox vs. Marth just because it's difficult to control the map. But you did fine. Pretty much this matchup is a lot of dashdancing (in Marth's case a lot of fair spacing too) and then somebody gets a grab and ***** off of it.

Edgeguarding Marth is tricky. But the key is to grab the ledge right before Marth uses his up-b. Then, depending on the angle, hop and bair, or shine spike, or just roll, if you have a good sense that the Marth is trying to sweetspot.

On FD, you want to shoot plenty of lasers. Just dash away and start the SHL fire. When he approaches with a fair or dash attack, just shield grab him and start with the uairs. If he goes for a grab or an fsmash, dash dance around it and run in with your own grab. If you are confident in your technical skill, sometimes you can pretend you're going to start camping and then just throw a nair in his face as he starts to approach.

Generally, dair is good for getting a grab/shine and nair is good for chaining subsequent attacks (dash attack, another nair, an uair sometimes, an upsmash, etc.). Just play with his mind. If he can't grab you, he can't chaingrab you or get the **** grab combos started.

ILoveRice

Smash Apprentice
oh thanks :D but i recommend to watch the last 2 BF and YS those were my best ones in my opinion :o I attempt to DD > Grab A lot because I always want to grab before marth grabs me.

Top Bottom