• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice on What Brand GC Controller to buy for SSB

Bilco

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone, new to these forums here and tried doing some searching on the forums to find anything about GC controllers and different brands ect ect and really didn't find any great informative threads so I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Anyways looking to start doing some smashing again, haven't played a smash bro's game since SSB on the 64 when I was back in HS. Went of to college and let my younger bro have the GC so I never played any SSBM but I do own a Wii and plan on buying Brawl so I need to snage some quality controllers.

Already have some $11 peices of junk I snagged at good ol' Wal-Mart for dirt cheap and it didn't take me long after playing some SSBM that they wouldn't cut it. Since I never owned a GC I know little about the assortment of controller brands and all the little nuances that go with them so I figure what better place to ask than these forums after a few days of browsing around.

If anyone had any suggestions for a certain brandname//model//maker for GC controllers please feel free to drop a line here. Any comments, reasons or suggestions about your preference would be appreciated(such as quality, comfort, design, responsiveness, button spring, cord length ect ect...) Thanks!

-Bilco

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
i agree with EPF, who should be sleep right now since its 4am lol, nintendo brand is the only way to go for controllers.

im using the classic controller cuz it cheap, brand new, and better than a cube one imo

Rawr!

Smash Cadet
Third party GC controllers are meh.. or ****ty. Either one.

Go Nintendo. Wired if you want rumble... Wavebird if you don't want a cable (no rumble).

nitromaster

Smash Cadet
official wired one, wavebirds are less responsive and no rumble,
also get an extension cable as the cord length is very short.

Drake3

Smash Ace
I never owned a GC either and it took me foreveeeeer to find an official Nintendo controller. Namco controllers don't work with the Wii so don't even try. Go with a Nintendo one. It'll be hard to find one used and even harder unused since they've apparently discontinued them. Seriously I went to like 15 stores and the last place I looked (Zellers) had 1 left.

Yojimbo

Smash Journeyman
I use a wavebird personally and have for the longest time. Or go with the traditional wired controller. Third party controllers tend to have weird material on the buttons or confusing layouts. Keep it simple and traditional.

Zink

Smash Champion
I have a MadCatz, and it's pretty good, it's smaller than the Ninty version and the buttons poke out more.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
NOT i reply NOT to buy madcatz. I'v owned around 3 controllers of theres and they have all broke so far. I dont know ONE person who has had theres and it hasnt broke yet except Zink apparently. They really really really suck. If ur using it to play melee that game takes a beating to controllers so they will brake faster...Just buy nintendo original ones =D

dark_templar_99

Smash Cadet
Build one of these. My friend builds arcade sticks out of PS2 controllers, dont see why you couldn't use a Gamecube controller and build one. I would sure use it for smash, ha.

raptorbaby10

Smash Journeyman
I would say the standard GC controller, gotta love 'em.

I think you can get them from Nintendo's website, 'cause it is somewhat hard to find them in stores nowadays. I know a store that I can go to to find them but you might be out of luck.

Darkurai

Smash Master
Standard GC controller, a wired one because the rumble owns.

DO NOT get any of that third-party crap. They have to be made completely from scratch, and thus aren't as good as the original.

ResidentWaffle

Smash Lord
Nintendo is the best because they copyright a lot of there controller's design. That's way Mad Catz controllers sucks soo much.

Revak

Smash Apprentice
I couldn't find a normal GC controller when I bought my Wii so I had to go with 2 Gamestop versions. Works perfect just has a stupid turbo button.

Ekaru

Smash Apprentice
Either Gamestop, or wired Nintendo. Wavebirds are too fat for me, and I have difficulties not breaking them ><;, and the ones you can buy used are sometimes broken in some way. If going for used, make sure it doesn't have a half-on control stick. It works, but makes things like wavedashing more difficult than they need to be IMO. =P Gamestop, surprisingly, are the best third party controllers from my experience. Durable, and the controls feel great IMO. Don't bother with pelican though. Only their PS2 wireless controllers are worth the money IMO. >_>;

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
Just make sure when you buy a Nintendo brand classic GC controller that EVERYbody and there mother has, that you mark it up good with a Sharpie, and put some tape around the wire where it plugs into the port. And then maybe if your lucky, noone will confuse it with theirs and walk off with it.

killbeast301

Smash Lord
The first party ninty controllers are probably the most ergonomical controller you will ever hold. Third parties are less comfortable (for most people) and usually break quicker. You can order them from nintendo.com. Wired or wavebird is the question you should be asking. I like wired for rumble and it doesn't have the lump in the back for the bateries, which is where my middle fingers go.

To add on to what Rx- said, you can take the controller apart, give the plastic a stylish paint job, put it back together (it will still work if you're careful) and noone will mistake that.

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
Actually, I have always played with the original Nintendo brand, but I did things a lot better using a madcat once. For instance, L-canceling when using Link/YLink worked a lot easier for me on madcats. It was also easier for me to use projectiles.

It was weird to get used to though, it was my first time playing it that day, haven't picked it up since, but I'm actually thinking I might practice Melee with it. See if I can get used to it in time for Brawl.

Maybe......... LOL

Ulubai

Smash Cadet
i love wavebirds, i have had mine for a good 2 years and its still good as new, but then when i played with some old nintendo controllers everything got so much easier. if you do get a wavebird make sure you buy rechargeable batteries.

0rion

Smash Journeyman
Hi everyone, new to these forums here and tried doing some searching on the forums to find anything about GC controllers and different brands ect ect and really didn't find any great informative threads so I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Anyways looking to start doing some smashing again, haven't played a smash bro's game since SSB on the 64 when I was back in HS. Went of to college and let my younger bro have the GC so I never played any SSBM but I do own a Wii and plan on buying Brawl so I need to snage some quality controllers.

Already have some $11 peices of junk I snagged at good ol' Wal-Mart for dirt cheap and it didn't take me long after playing some SSBM that they wouldn't cut it. Since I never owned a GC I know little about the assortment of controller brands and all the little nuances that go with them so I figure what better place to ask than these forums after a few days of browsing around.

If anyone had any suggestions for a certain brandname//model//maker for GC controllers please feel free to drop a line here. Any comments, reasons or suggestions about your preference would be appreciated(such as quality, comfort, design, responsiveness, button spring, cord length ect ect...) Thanks!

-Bilco
*whispers* Psst, get this one cuz.

Da Wavebird is da way to go.

The Mark

Smash Apprentice
Airflow.

I have huge hands so it is perfect. Layout is the same, there is a nice rubber grip, longer cord, comes in various colors (last time I checked anyway) and has internal fans that keep your hands cool. No disadvantages besides the fact that it is big. But like I said, I have some pretty big hands so if the glove fits, wear it.

That is all.

Troggy

Smash Rookie

But in all seriousness, get a normal GC one from Nintendo, lol. Wavebirds work pretty well from my experience too.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Do they still make Gamecube controllers. I heard they stopped manufacturing Gamecube stuff months ago. I need another controller. I gave my Gamecube and one of my controllers to my sister. Now I only have 3 controllers, but I don't really want to buy a used one.

Psydon

Smash Journeyman
There are only two sensible options: the standard Nintendo GC controller and the Wavebird, which essentially creates a much more simple debate: wired or wireless.

Every other GC controller ever made sucks.

Top Bottom