• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advanced Tethering Options

IcyLight

Smash Lord
Alright, so i haven't had internet for a few weeks now and i finally got a wii so i've been messing around with some tether tricks to help my recovery, edge guarding game, etc. And, well, here are my semi-results.

First, i must say, i have a video but no internet so i can't upload it at the moment, once i get internet in a few weeks i can upload what i have made, but if anyone wants to feel free and make their own video for the sake of this thread, go for it.

1) Let's look at a basic one, that has been mentioned, which is the tether into an ISJR (infinite second jump renewal), which is done by grabbing the edge, dropping, jumping above the edge and tethering and di'ing toward the stage and landing on it, but as you land you hit A and you will instantly jump out of your tether and have no landing lag. Well, after getting the timing down for this it's helped me recover with a sort of mind games, because i do the ISJR into a fair or a nair and people don't really expect it, or i just land on the stage and do a tilt/smash. But, what i tried to do was do it fast enough so you still have your ledge invulnerability as you do the inputs, leading to an invulnerable ISJR from this position, i have done it quick enough where it looks like im completely invulnerable during this which means a nearly flawless recovery technique from the edge towards the inside of the stage. I lack the tools necessary to test if still invulnerable, but just food for thought

2) I'm sure most of you already know, but while you are tethering you can hit down on the control stick to let go of the tether during the middle of it. Meaning, you can dangle at the very bottom, tap down to let go, and jump and do anything you want, or just upb again. This is pretty interesting mind games while recovering, but what about using it to edge guard? let's say you know someone down, run off, tether, wait for them to come sort of close but not close enough to upb, (let's say they are diagonal corner of stage recovering), you can hang down, tap down to let go, jump do an aerial at them and still recover afterwards. Yes, it's dangerous, but it's also very effective and unpredictable if used correctly. This also allows you to hang down there randomly and refresh your tether while waiting for other tether characters to recover, but you remain safe because you are really far down and they probably can't hit you if they are recovering.

3) Lastly, let's take #2 a little further. You know the trick where you run off and immediately up-b you can grab the ledge with your tether as you run off? Well, let's say you have tap jump off so it's really easy so when you tether you get sent upwards with a 4-5 pikmin chain before falling and tethering below the stage. You gain a vertical tether UPWARDS as you carry this out, and either slide to a tether below the ledge, or hit the ledge and then bounce below. Well, at the very peak of your tether while you first initiate it, you can tap down before it drags you downards, and immediately jump.

Here are just some ideas, ill try to get a video up when i can,
May i mention, also, that this is a thousand times easier with tap jump off because to do the run off tether you need to be A) quick B) have no tap jump

again, when i get internet in a week or 2 i will re-update with a video. sorry for having no video, just food for though

Llumys

Smash Champion
First.

I'll edit with thoughts in a few minutes.

Edit:

I knew all this. <_<;

Mention stuff like letting go of the ledge (with back, of course), immediately tethering, and holding forward.

(:

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Looking forward to seeing them Icy :D

I have a few tether tricksies but nothing too beneficial competitively. It'll be a good topic to go over though.

Get those vids up! =D

IcyLight

Smash Lord
what would u prefer? also, i don't know how to upload or anything, or rather convert the wii format video for upload onto a youtube, not sure about the file formats for the wii. im trying to get an sd card reader, and then i will upload a video.

Llumys

Smash Champion
I don't know how you would feel about this, but I could upload a video including everything you mentioned in the original post and more.

Also, you can't convert a replay file into a video file. You have to use a recording device.

Llumys

Smash Champion
I'll get to it sometime. I'm free Sunday, so that'll give me some time to work on it.

I won't edit the video or anything, nor will I add any actual text. I'll just upload a minute or two of me doing some tether tricks for demonstration.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
alright, make sure you at least show the run off tether, let go aerial, and the hanging way down at bottom drop off tether and do jump/aerial, that's the biggest things i wanted to show

IcyLight

Smash Lord
i have never seen another oli do, i don't mean the quick tether into lagless aerial towards the stage, i mean when you are just hanging you tap down to instantly let go of your tether, jump and do an aerial way below the stage and recover, not sure if thats what you meant or if i suck at explaining

Llumys

Smash Champion
Yeah. <_<;

That's just a mix-up of letting go of your tether. xD

Regardless, I'll do some tricks and upload them for discussion purposes.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
llumys, i think the trick you taught me is more useful than my tricks lol that's pretty pro

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Not sure why this is in this thread, but as a side note..
"I feel sorry for Venezuela. If itocks is the best, you guys must REALLY suck XD
The TL was terribad and he even killed himself twice? and you're trying to say itocks is good? lol."
Lawl Fino.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
In a tether thread lol? I was pretty sure that was the point, but I watched the video so carefully, as I looked for tether tricks haha.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
He or the person who uploaded the video probably found you guys ranting on him.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Nobody was ranting but Fino rofl. I quoted a comment of his from the youtube page.

Llumys

Smash Champion
I'm thinking of making a quick video on Olimar's tether tricks. It'd be cool if anyone gave me any ideas.

Technique #1: [edgeguard to edgehog]
> dash
> tether (grounded)
> drift backward

Technique #2: [edgeguard or retreat to edgehog]
> dash
> tether (grounded)
> turn around (natural; not reversal)
> drift forward

Technique #3: [quicker mobility]
> let go of edge
> tether (pops you onto the stage)

Technique #4: [tether canceling]
> tether
> let go of tether
> any aerial movement

Technique #5: [invincibility refresh]
> let go of edge
> tether (slightly delayed)
> grab edge (immediately when tether connects)

Technique #6: [edgeguard "wall"]
> tether (aerial, in opponent's recovery path)

Technique #7: [better than speed hugging :p]
> dash
> tether (aerial)
> grab edge (immediately when tether connects)

<_<;
I posted this in the General thread.

Weruop

Smash Ace
dunno if any1 has ever done this b4 but

after u get a kill or if u want then i guess u can do it during the heat of battle

run off the edgeand wait a moment, upb, cancel,jump, throw purple pikmin

kinda like running off the edge, dropping, jumping, and then throwing the purple pikmin at the on stage opponent but safer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDGgmC096LY

Llumys

Smash Champion
That sounds interesting.

Anyway, I was playing around on Japes today.

I'm naming the ledges from left to right. I didn't include the platform.

1...2_______2...1
____3........3____

If running from 2 to 1, and you do an immediate aerial tether, you will automatically grab 1.

If running toward 3 or vice-versa, and you do an immediate tether, you will automatically grab 2. If you wish to grab 3 after running toward 3, you will have to turn your tether around. Press backward before you grab 2, and you'll grab 3.

If running from 1 to 2, and you do an immediate aerial tether, you won't grab onto anything. This is because your tether is aiming for 3, but you're too high for it to connect. If you wish to grab 3 after running from 1 to 2, you have to turn your tether around.

If you let go of any of the edges and immediately tether forward, you will grab the edge you just left.

If you wish to grab 2 after letting go of 3, you have to turn your tether around.

If I'm not mistaken, any other combination requires drifiting, falling, or fast falling. In other words, you can't perform them quickly; you have to move quite a bit to get them working.

This is pretty basic stuff, but knowing how to tether well is crucial for playing well on Japes.

Noa.

Smash Master
I don't find it necessary to use all of those tether tricks to use Japes well. I do fine on Japes without them. ;)

Llumys

Smash Champion
Meh, they're definitely not absolutely necessary, but I'm sure they're still quite important. I don't care if people don't agree with me, but the edges give Olimar a lot more mobility options.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
I've tested this to a certain extent but my findings could just be putting a name on air so to speak.
If you're tethering directly vertical to the ledge, and your opponent is close to the ledge as in trying to edgehog you. If you get the tether off and reach the stage before they grab, it's an automatic spike.

PFANT

Smash Cadet
one time i got hit off stage, tether canceled twice and the third one coursed spiked my opponent who was trying to edge hog me, taking his last stock. it was glorious.

edit: on a related note, you could tether cancel, then whistle armor your opponents recover then follow up with an aerial. i think whistling peoples recovery's could be something interesting to look into but it doesn't really stop peoples momentum so idk.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
I've tested this to a certain extent but my findings could just be putting a name on air so to speak.
If you're tethering directly vertical to the ledge, and your opponent is close to the ledge as in trying to edgehog you. If you get the tether off and reach the stage before they grab, it's an automatic spike.
Isn't that just like any other tether spike, except you're doing it from above?

I don't stuff like that into much consideration. There's way too many options to discuss a single combination.
You don't stuff like that? There is way too many?
Two for one!

Llumys

Smash Champion
Hey guys, I canceled my tether into a jump.
Hey guys, I canceled my tether into an air dodge.
Hey guys, I canceled my tether into a neutral air.
Hey guys, I canceled my tether into a forward air.
Hey guys, I canceled my tether into a back air.
Hey guys, I canceled my tether into a up air.
Hey guys, I canceled my tether into a down air.
Hey guys, I canceled my tether into a jump then an air dodge.
Hey guys, I canceled my tether into a jump then a whistle.
Hey guys, I canceled my tether into a toss then a jump then an aerial dodge then a whistle.

Top Bottom