• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advanced Olimar Discussion (Start of Big Update 5/6)

Cpt_EJ

Smash Cadet
I saw the vid, nice fight. Some of the strategies you used are some that I use too.

yeah Fox is pretty annoying. His blaster and shine will keep pikmin off of him so pikmin throw can be ruled out unless you happen to throw a purple fatty when he's not expecting it. I just go for grabs when i can and try to punish him with uair, nair, fair, anything you can pull off with aerials.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Wow loving it guys. Unfortunately I don't have the time right now to get a solid organized start just yet, hopefully by Friday. Keep it up =)

-True

lordsturm473

Smash Cadet
Very nice guide. The only thing I have to say is about the "Order of Things" section.

I'd hate to burst the bubble that is that section, but the Pikmin order is just the standard order from each of the games. You discover the kinds of Pikmin in that order: Red, Yellow, Blue, White and Purple.

Although your theories do show a practical application for the order, I'm 90% sure that's the reason behind it.

Very excellent guide, though. This will help my Olimar game immensely.

Cpt_EJ

Smash Cadet
Been dead for two days =\ anyways,

any of you guys find Ike annoying?

I can beat him but he's almost as annoying as Marth

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
Been dead for two days =\ anyways,

any of you guys find Ike annoying?

I can beat him but he's almost as annoying as Marth
I was half tempted to just post a link to my WAC compendium thread and leave it at that. Okay, maybe put a smile afterwards.

Seriously, his **** has such incredible lag that a WAC will cure all your problems. The only move that causes a little timing concern is the Bair which is insanely fast. Also, keep in mind with proper WACing, that the absolute only thing he can do is the jab combo, which, I'll admit, hurts like a *****.

BUT! Here's a little Ike tactic you guys might not know.

If your opponent loves to use Quick Draw to get back to the stage, Olimar has the perfect edgeguard; Forward+B. I have to get D1 to bring his Wii down sometime so I can record the replays, but I spend quite a few matches getting him tight over the Forward+B gimp.

Here's how it works. When Ike is off the stage and is charging his Quick Draw to get back (this is a lot easier when he's trying to sweetspot the ledge), throw a Pikmin onto him. I find that Yellows and Whites are best for this because of their irregular trajectory. Once a Pikmin attaches to Ike, as soon as he lets go of the Quick Draw, the Pikmin will take the hit. No matter how long it's charged, Ike will not get any forward movement and the Pikmin will stop him dead in his tracks, leaving him to fall helplessly.

EDIT: POST 999! What am I preparing for my epic 1000th post?

Sikarios

Smash Cadet
HollaAtchaBoy, thanks for that Ike advice. I didn't realize the attached pikmin could gimp his recovery like that, yet, he still has the incredible UpB.

I fought a pretty good Zelda last night /w my Olimar to great success. It can be a good match up for Oli, IMHO, b/c you can force Zelda to be aggressive using the pikmin throw and Oli's awesome grab range. Even if Zelda starts to use Naryu's Love (the reflector move?) you can still throw pikmin b/t the animation and they'll latch on.

I'm finding my main Olimar weapons to be, in almost every matchup:

-Short hop fairs and dairs
-Grabs and Pikmin throw
-Fsmash and Dsmash /w jabs and occasional tilts.

That's pretty much it. I try to keep in the center of the stage so they won't gimp Oli's recovery and I try to always keep 6 pikmin out.

Also, I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but I seem to do MUCH better in matches where I can get 2 or 3 purples into my lineup. Oftentimes I'll use a lot of pikmin throw until I get a few purples, than get really aggressive up close. I find the knockback they do gives me the extra second of breathing room to formulate my next move.

keeper

Smash Champion
Since I don't remember the topic it was originally in, I did some more Pikmin pluck tests. This time I did battlefield. I did two samples of 100 Pikmin on the base of the stage. Here are the results.

Sample 1:
Red- 23
Yellow- 24
Blue- 26
White- 14
Purple- 13

Sample 2:
Red- 27
Yellow- 26
Blue- 20
White- 13
Purple 14

I'd say this falls into the same thing as FD's percents.

Red- 23.3%
Yellow- 23.3%
Blue- 23.3%
White- 15%
Purple- 15%

Anyone disagree?

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
I find that odd, given that Battlefield usually gives me much worse pulls than FD does. Usually on Battlefield I can't pull fatties for the life of me, but get all reds yellows and blues. On FD I get much luckier with second generation Pikmin.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
I'm fairly confident in Keeper's results, of course everyone would love a billion picks rather than 200, but its similarity to already discovered ratios is enough for me. If someone isn't sure though feel free to do tests of your own, or if you just wanna help out test new stages =) Thanks keeper, good work, I'll add it in when I update, which should be soon again. Holla my only point worth making would be that battlefield is a smaller map, much more prone to throwing pikmin off the edge than FD, and that may make the difference your experiencing.

-True

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
So finally another update, not so much but some good stuff in there hopefully. Things are coming along, however this thread is still far less interactive than I intended it to be. So much information here is asking for opinions, confirmations, findings, all sorts of stuff, yet in general so far little discussion seems to actually have happened here. Any thoughts?

In particular need tons of stuff for this matchup section, I know theres a lot of you out there who haven't said your piece yet, this is a group effort, you can do it, post! =)

-True

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
So finally another update, not so much but some good stuff in there hopefully. Things are coming along, however this thread is still far less interactive than I intended it to be. So much information here is asking for opinions, confirmations, findings, all sorts of stuff, yet in general so far little discussion seems to actually have happened here. Any thoughts?

In particular need tons of stuff for this matchup section, I know theres a lot of you out there who haven't said your piece yet, this is a group effort, you can do it, post! =)

-True
I think it's because this thread seems a bit intimidating. It has so much information that covers such a broad topic: advanced techniques. People may feel overwhelmed by two things - how the information is presented, and the misconception that people are expected to be advanced players in order to post in this thread.

The information is organized, but it's not... 'inviting'. I'm not sure how to explain it, so this post is not helpful at all, but if you want more people to post, I think this is a potential issue that you may want to try and resolve. I'm sorry that I couldn't offer any suggestions at the moment.

Finally, the name of this thread is 'ADVANCED' Olimar discussion. This may be intimidating to many Olimar players because people may feel like they must be extremely good or 'advanced' in order to offer any input into the discussion. From what I understand, you are not expecting anyone to be advanced, and you just want to facilitate a discussion on advanced techniques. HOWEVER, not everyone may understand this, and that's how a misconception is created. Perhaps if you broke these misconceptions, somehow, it would encourage more people to participate in this great discussion.

Okay, back on topic. :) Olimar's down-smash has a sweet spot! Opponents can be damaged by BOTH of Olimar's Pikmin, simultaneously, for potentially massive damage! In this video, Shrink did a whopping 27% damage with a single down-smash.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=est7x2A150I (1:53)

Would anyone care to explore this? :)

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
Okay, back on topic. :) Olimar's down-smash has a sweet spot! Opponents can be damaged by BOTH of Olimar's Pikmin, simultaneously, for potentially massive damage! In this video, Shrink did a whopping 27% damage with a single down-smash.

I've had this happen numerous times... and if I weren't at work I'd show you one my matches against DiAL when I specifically talk about just that. (In case you didn't know, I'm the guy who spams downsmash. >_> Can you tell I also second-main ROB?) For now just go to http://www.youtube.com/HollaAtchaBoy and go through my Olimar vids. I'm pretty sure this was one of my many matches against DiAL's Marth where this was spoken about.

I'll edit this when I get in to show you guys the link, but in my vids I've had it happen often. Though, at one point I say that I hit with a Red and Yellow and it gives them fire and electricity damage. That's not true, only the later one's status is inflicted.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
I'm not positive, I know I've seen this before in my own games as well a few times, both my regular opponent and I are very attentive and competative so he'll just yell something about it being the game doing something impractical and dumb and well for this particular double hit DSmash theres not much you can say against it other than its an oddity in the programming, same as the dsmash occasionally knocking your opponent the opposite direction that would be expected. Obviously theres a reason it happens, its programmed so it could be learned recreated and in theory even used, he just feels its illogical so whether its the game or not isn't a fan. Hes a good complainer, but also very good player so... Anyway back on topic...

In my own fuzzy recollections as well as the comments posted above I would suggest as a starting place for exploring this that people look closely at elemental attack pikmin (R,Y,W) as they seemingly have been involved in each case. I don't feel that both must be elemental (they may though) but I would be very surprised if this is not true. In general the elemental pikmin have seemingly presented a slightly larger hit box than expected body size, this is the reason some people are certain Yellow has the best range in a number of moves. Just as in the USmash perhaps there is varying hit box sizes per pikmin in the DSmash attack. I highly doubt there would be any noticeable difference in maximum range of DSmash, as I tested that thoroughly. However if the Hit Box was larger that would mean it would extend further back towards Olimar, which would allow at the start of a DSmash for the attack hit boxes to be very near each other. What I would suggest for the phenomena experienced is this:
As pointed out, the combined % was higher than should be expected from Echo's damage table, not to mention 2 hits by the same attack would still in this case I believe experience diminishing returns even though its the same attack (see below question on this subject). So what I believe must happen is actually 3 attacks connecting due to the extended hitboxes of some Pikmin. In theory however, these hit boxes may not even be extended. Consider the following: Pikmin 1 attacks left in this example, pikmin 2 attacks right. The opponent is standing ever so near/on olimar, but slightly to the left. The attack happens, pikmin 1's hitbox actually does not mostly cover olimars body (speculative) so preforms a glancing hit on the opponent, just moving him ever so slightly to the right of olimar. Here pikmin 2's hitbox fully connects while the pikmin is still near olimar (I would expect these first two frames to happen in honestly 4 or so frames max). Then the knockback from Pikmin 2 would send the opponent reverse typical direction back left due to being hit on the inside of the hit box. The opponent would again cross over olimar and catch the extending Pikmin 1 hitbox as it is moving away from olimar, connecting causing a 3rd hit, the large damage, and giving the situation encountered.

How in God's name you'd test that is beyond me. It works out however, so I offer it here. If somethings wrong with my idea, or you've got your own idea whatever it may be put it here. Were off topic but were discussing something awesome, this is what I wish this thread was all about =)

@ Gazelle: Thanks, I was a little afraid of that, however I'm also not sure how to fix it, I'll see what I can do though.
@ The NZA: I'm still working on some of your suggestions, of most interest is your suggestion about stutter stepping. If I have in fact simply majorly underestimated that technique much thanks. Also I'd love to add the details you suggest, I simply don't have the experience nor unfortunately time yet to work on that. Saddly much of my best Olimar work is theoretical, simply because I don't have a good pool of opponents to gain experience or idea or anything else from near me. Once classes wrap up hopefully I'll be able to put a little more time into finding good live opponents, get in the car and see who i find, but for now I can only really add theoretical stuff which I'm trying largely to avoid, and take from what people offer in posts across the boards, leaving me largely unable to meet those requests yet. Keep posting here though, though challenging your posts have been awesome, hope you stick around.

@Dr. Hyde: I've known you through these boards long enough that I'm sure you've got more to say than you've been saying here =) Wheres the ideas opinions thoughts and beliefs of old that seemed to touch every thread? Hope to hear from you soon.

@Sikarios: Your post is basically exactly what I'm looking for concerning matchups. Who it is, how you think the match up falls, what you do effectively, why it works... Awesome, hope you keep it up.

@ Cpt EJ: You've facilitated a lot of what discussion we've had here, keep up the interest enthusiasm and questions. Your reasoning for why some matchups are hard was nice, you could go into a bit more blunt detail about whats causing trouble, and what you personally have tried against it effective or not, but importantly why it was effective or not =)

@ Keeper: Thanks again for doing that, any other stages you feel so inclined... would be awesome =P You seem more interested in the facts than the beliefs, a very useful poster to have around. Look forward to whatever you have to offer down the line.

@ Holla: Just keep doing what you do, you don't need me to tell you that =P Still waiting on our game some day =P

-True

shanus

Smash Hero
I think it's because this thread seems a bit intimidating. It has so much information that covers such a broad topic: advanced techniques. People may feel overwhelmed by two things - how the information is presented, and the misconception that people are expected to be advanced players in order to post in this thread.

The information is organized, but it's not... 'inviting'. I'm not sure how to explain it, so this post is not helpful at all, but if you want more people to post, I think this is a potential issue that you may want to try and resolve. I'm sorry that I couldn't offer any suggestions at the moment.

Finally, the name of this thread is 'ADVANCED' Olimar discussion. This may be intimidating to many Olimar players because people may feel like they must be extremely good or 'advanced' in order to offer any input into the discussion. From what I understand, you are not expecting anyone to be advanced, and you just want to facilitate a discussion on advanced techniques. HOWEVER, not everyone may understand this, and that's how a misconception is created. Perhaps if you broke these misconceptions, somehow, it would encourage more people to participate in this great discussion.

As I said before, this is not that new. Especially using SAF -> downsmash on the inner of an opponents body. This is very effective against characters during their jabs. Just get their body generally within either of olimars feet or so and it generally hits with both pikmin. You just have to have them tight on your body so that when both pikmin are thrown downwards you have their body within that enclosed area before they separate much.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Do you understand what happens/why it happens Shanus? Is it possible to tell the "range" of this possible outcome? I understand its not something that no ones done till recently, simply never given much attention to or attempted to figure it out. Have you noticed the need for any particular type of pikmin or does it simply happen any time that spacing is achieved? I'll look forward to any replays you mentioned in the other thread =)

-True

shanus

Smash Hero
I can try and explore more today to test the range. It'll be easier when we get frame data for it, but generally Ive seen it happen irregardless of pikmin color. It seems to clearly be a timing and spacing where it involves getting the dsmash to hit generally between olimars two feet and before the pikmin space out much yet. I'll let you know my findings later today.

shanus

Smash Hero
Alright I just did some quick testing and it is fairly reproducible. The spacing for this is not easy so being able to do this in a match consistently will be difficult. It is easier on larger characters, doable on medium sized, and hardest to time on the small bodies.

Basically the two pikmin get together at he start of his dsmash on the insides of olimars feet. In order to get double damage/both properties of the knockback you need to get the width of the inner of both olimars feet inside the other characters body. This can easily be done in training mode by just walking through an opponents body and as you enter through it perform a downsmash. You will see the damage range from around 22-26%, but I didnt do too many trials. Its easiest to practice it around 1/2 speed in training. By timing it to whichever side of the body you are on the character as you go through their body, they will be hit in that direction (or so it seems, I had one which didnt)

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Awesome work shanus, it'll be added into the next update =)

One thing I just remembered and haven't put up is if you watch, Olimar's invincibility does not last as long as his roll, effectively giving Olimar punishable lag. This coupled with olimar's sub par roll distance it would seem Oli shouldn't get caught rolling too often.

So, anybody on matchups, or stage preferences, or combos, or ledge techniques, or any other generally useful information?

-True

keeper

Smash Champion
I intend to make a pikmin pluck percent thing for each tournament legal stage, the rest I honestly don't care about. =\

keeper

Smash Champion
Today's Pikmin Pluck stage is Yoshi's Island.

Red: 52
Yellow: 50
Blue: 47
White: 28
Purple: 22

Calculated Percents (the actual may be different)-
Red: 26%
Yellow: 23.5%
Blue: 25%
White: 14.5%
Purple: 11%

Is that considerably different enough compared to the accepted standard of the 23.3 by 3 and the other two being 15 or should we say that purples are less likely on Yoshi's Island.

Note: I did not notice a different trend in Pikmin during the seasons changes.

Fino

Smash Master
Hey, just a note on your possible tech, chain grabbing the edge is quite possibly way more useful that just hugging the edge. Mainly because you're hanging from your rope, and if your opponent tried to attack (most likely using a B^) you can pull up to the edge and get your invincibility frames.
Also for character match ups I have a guide in the making right now (it's on a thread), but haven't the time to update it as much as I'd like to. Basically it breaks down characters move set (and how to counter) and current strategy against them.

~Fino

keeper

Smash Champion
Smashville Statistics

And here we are for the Pikmin plucks for Smashville!

They are the same as BF and FD. (Sample size is 200)

Red- 48
Yellow- 44
Blue- 48
White- 31
Purple- 29

Percents:
Red- 24% Which is close enough to 23.3%
Yellow- 22% Which is close enough to 23.3%
Blue- 24% Which is close enough to 23.3%.
White- 15.5% Which is close enough to 15%.
Purple- 14.5% Which is close enough to 15%.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
So I'm just kinda bumping, seen some new names around hope maybe they'd chime in on match ups, or ideas, or thoughts on anything... =) Am I pushing this too hard?

-True

keeper

Smash Champion
Anyone want to give me a quick summary of how Olimar is actually good?
He's a nimble fellow with amazing range, amazing variation, grabs, grab range, attacks that can out priority hard hitting moves, super armor, the ability to put set-ups, is amazing at edgehogging against a lot of things.

His only real main weakness is being gimped or WoP which can lead to him being gimped.

KMAY

Smash Apprentice
Bad Stages...BRINSTAR, IC Mountain or whatever its called. Hard match-ups include Snake, his f-tilt has extreme priority vs olimar, and its hard to keep spacing with his running A attack. Yoshi is def. a hard match-up. Zelda's are pretty easy, for me at least, Din's fire is easy to dodge, IMO, but yea Zelda is easier, or Fair at best. Falco is harder than fox. A combo I put up before is when at lower percents grab, back throw, turn and grab, up-throw, upsmash, then potential for further juggling. Mario is a fair match-up esp. if they spam fireballs on flat stages, and know how to use the cape effectively. Diddy is also a fair to harder match-up b-c of his aerials and speed.

Kirby-oh

Smash Apprentice
I get crushed by a Zelda / Sheik online all the time. However, he is just a better player than I am, so...

Jarri

Smash Journeyman
For anyone who cares: Usmash KO's Mario on FD at 79% with a purple Pikmin.

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
i first just wanted to say thanks for writing this thread, i personally like it and don't know how u had the time and patience to write it

but to go on topic..........was going to say you didn't really have any vids of anyone using the super armor
and i'm not sure if this should go here or not.....but i read this somewhere else therefore if you do post it the credit doesn't belong to me, however there have been instances when up-b without pikmin has ben better than doing it with them. this normally only applies to when you have two or less, however i have used it when i have had 3 and occasionally 4. the reason it was more useful was due to the fact that the chain was not long enough to reach the platform and there are the frames when olimar will not grab the edge, but when you up-b with no pikmin he will get the slight boost from the up-b and you can di to the edge and grab it. this is only advantageous in select scenarios, however i thought it may be worth noting, this is entirely your call of course.

if this was already posted, or you were aware of it then..........srry lol

and as far as your zelda question.......i also have trouble with it. i lost to my friend in the final match when he played me with his zelda, however i also lossed when he played my olimar with his pikachu, i'm not sure if it was due to his skill or bad match up though

knuttz45

Smash Ace
Hey, if you want some vids....u can have these to use..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9RywjyD3ZY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwITEyVyTTA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIb_qRclaYo&feature=related

Also, I really enjoy this guide...can't wait to see when its finished with character matchups...and the pikmin order hierarchy now gives me a good idea of where I would want my pikmin. It would be nice to combine both your's and nc-echo's guide...and make just one single guide....

Top Bottom