• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advanced MK Discussion

R1ngo

Smash Journeyman
This thread is dedicated to playing MK with more skill and strategy than spamming tornados and smashing your c-stick a few other character threads have these and we should have one. Meta Knight has a bad rep from ppl spamming tornado and beating their friends by only playing a campy style and using the same move the entire game.

I'll start by posting vids of better techniques to own ur friends and hopefully more ppl will too.

Arial Rising
, Attacking and going upward at the same time. Also using multiple jumps and attacks before landing. This one is actually pretty basic but indeed it is neccesary to learn. This vid shows me doing it ALOT
http://gameroom.mlgpro.com/view/o3bNHktpPbc.html

Dash Pivot Cancelling
, This is very situational but a very scary thing to land on opponets at mid to high %. I have been practicing this and getting pretty good at using it when needed. This video is not mine and I don't take credit for discovering it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZg0f8RTMOg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNyJQLOBP1M

Dimensional Edge Hogging
: This is not a necessary technique but can be quite useful, its pretty good for refreshing SAF's on the edgehogging.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=AAKj8wKH0qQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a-vqKEY68Y

Drill Rush Slide (platform cancelling): This is a very interesting technique, Should be used in moderation (as all techniques) can catch someone off guard quite easily.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOfwE5an1Ps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrWSd7WQNGQ

As I continue to find more I'll continue to Edit. Hopefully this thread and R.Kefka's Data Thread will be Stickied so they don't disappear.

Please only post more techniques and constructive ideas.

R1ngo

Smash Journeyman
If you like the thread bump it for a sticky, discuss the tactics, tell us how they work for you, the more ppl learning this stuf the more people will fear the meta knight

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
This is probably a common knowledge thing to Meta Knight players, but Down Tilt...it's like the best move ever. It has a 50% trip rate, and even if it doesn't trip, it actually combos into Ftilt or running grab.

As in, you can actually hit the opponent with a Ftilt BEFORE they can put up their shield after you land a Dtilt.

broken!!

Illussionary

Smash Journeyman
This is probably a common knowledge thing to Meta Knight players, but Down Tilt...it's like the best move ever. It has a 50% trip rate, and even if it doesn't trip, it actually combos into Ftilt or running grab.

As in, you can actually hit the opponent with a Ftilt BEFORE they can put up their shield after you land a Dtilt.

broken!!
Not to mention that you can spam it all you want, becuase it isn't punishable.

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
This is a useful thing to know during MK dittos: when both players are using their tornado on each other, the winning player (the player who will go through his/her opponent's tornado and damage the other MK) is the one who started his/her tornado most recently. For example, if you use your tornado and then try to come attack me, I can then use my tornado and collide with yours, resulting in your tornado being negated (tornado disappears and you're left to be punished) and my tornado being the one to deal the damage.

EDIT: the same rules apply if you are fighting a Kirby and he has stolen your tornado ability, the last tornado made wins

Hope this helps and this should be stickied :)

R1ngo

Smash Journeyman
MK has ALOT of moves to knock another MK out of tornado,, dair dtilt ftilt, tornado can also be shield grabbed

KingAce

Smash Ace
This is a question because I dont wanna start another new thread for this. How do you beat a really campy pit? All this pit does is palutenas arrow until I approach, then puts up his shield and either shieldgrabs me or ftilts/fsmash. Its really annoying ive tried a multiple number of approaches and none of them seem to work because then he wil just roll away...

KiteDXX

Smash Apprentice
For one, the arrows are destroyed by Meta's tornado, unless they're charged long enough. That alone is enough to destroy that approach.

KingAce

Smash Ace
Ok ive tried that and when he puts his shield up even if i retract the tornado back, he just follows and dash attacks me. Its ******** ... how much you can camp against meta knight with pit

R1ngo

Smash Journeyman
when fighitng any campy character approaching can be extr.emely difficult with MK. something different will work on different ppl so keep trying.

Kayzee

Smash Journeyman
When facing camped Pits, tornado right to them and stop in front of them. If they try and shield, grab them. If they try anything else, Ftilt them. If they're firing fully charged arrows (unlikely), short hop > midair dodge until you get to them. Stop in front of them just enough to stay out of Pit's Fsmash range, in case he tries to dish one out to you. Then, punish the Pit with one of many ways Meta Knight can punish.

KingAce

Smash Ace
yeah that works, the SH->airdodge to approach and avoid the arrows. But the tornado doesnt work, meta knight has lag after the tornado and pit can dash attack. But yeah the short hop air dodge really worked well.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Meta Knight should be able to Dtilt Pit when you're close to him if you space it right. Or you could just DownB behind them >.>

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Yeah. You have to know what they are going to do ahead of time. That's why it'd be safer to just back away once you get close to Pit and see what he does. If he Fsmashes or Ftilts, then there's a chance he'll do it again the next time you get close. This way you'll know what he's going to do so you know whether you'll Dtilt or DownB in advance.

IMO Dtilt is better than all that cuz it's more practical, but DownB is useful in some situations. Sometimes you can even start a Mach Tornado up close because of its priority and speed. Or if they're at a high percrent you can just Dsmash because of its almost nonexistant startup lag.

R1ngo

Smash Journeyman
agreed, the downB is amazing but pretty much the most situational move MK has, and ya the downsmash is excellent

giuocob

Smash Journeyman
I think Meta Knight's game is eventually going to revolve mainly around gimping other players' recovery, since he's so good at it and can't kill on the stage until ~120%. For example, at 60%, dsmash to knock them in the air, then jump out and reverse shuttle loop for the kill. A lot of advanced techniques will probably pop up concerning offstage play. I'm searching for them as well.

Mizar

Smash Ace
Bump.

Also, I ran into something weird with MK today. I don't have the equipment to record so I'll just write it down here. Its not threadworthy in my opinion, so. Anyway, I was fighting as MK vs Falco. We were standing near the edge while I (MK) was on low % and my opponent around 60. So I dashed towards him and dashgrabbed. Because we were stand on the edge of the stage, I pushed both of us off the stage. The weird thing is that I was still holding him in midair. Untill we almost fell to death. At this point I automatically released him and was able to get back on the stage.

****ashi

Smash Apprentice
i've found dimensional cape quite useful as a counter, kind of like ike and that except when they're coming from the air. it is quite situational but if you start it early enough i've found it to counter zamus, toon link and even game & watch's down a

giuocob

Smash Journeyman
Bump.

Also, I ran into something weird with MK today. I don't have the equipment to record so I'll just write it down here. Its not threadworthy in my opinion, so. Anyway, I was fighting as MK vs Falco. We were standing near the edge while I (MK) was on low % and my opponent around 60. So I dashed towards him and dashgrabbed. Because we were stand on the edge of the stage, I pushed both of us off the stage. The weird thing is that I was still holding him in midair. Untill we almost fell to death. At this point I automatically released him and was able to get back on the stage.
I'm pretty sure every character can do this, at least the fast ones. So I'm not sure if it belongs on this list, even though it is particularly useful for Meta Knight because of his awesome recovery.

Also, since Reverse Shuttle Loop isn't all that obvious and is extremely useful for netting off-stage KOs, you might want to put it up on the list. I might get some videos up later, unless someone else wants to.

HolyForce

Smash Journeyman
I haven't had my grabs go off-stage but I would love to know more details on that. Meta Knight has the best running grab range, it seems, and with his amazing recovery ability - this off-stage grabbing sounds like a must know if it's truly possible. Yes/no?

Crazy Cloud

Smash Journeyman
It sounds like a good deal. I hope it's not like the Diddy Hump's DI, that was a letdown when I first saw it.

boom-man97

Smash Journeyman
howz about some combos, or at least as close to them as you can get.
i know that dash attack to Usmash always works at low %.
anything else?

ckm

Smash Journeyman
howz about some combos, or at least as close to them as you can get.
i know that dash attack to Usmash always works at low %.
anything else?
dthrow > fair works very well too.

fthrow > shuttle loop is another common one

dash attack > utilt works as well as usmash

I will sometimes finish a combo or a launch attack with a tornado, if you can catch them right on top of you (preferably while still flailing so they cant counter with a dair), its much harder to DI out of it.

Sino

Smash Journeyman
how do you call a Tornado where you press the Special button a few times so he keeps on spinning. If there isn't a word for it why dont we make one?(because many people use it in forums) I have some names for it, Tornadospinner or Tornadotrap or something like that or just no name :(

Top Bottom