- Jun 14, 2019
Imo, Ys IX, albeit portraying an "older" version of Adol, isn't too representative of his character within the whole series since most of the time he's in his Monstrum form (which he can use only in that game). His ideal versions for ALT skins in Smash would have to be his Ys Seven (armor), and perhaps Celceta or Lacrimosa of Dana since in both he's wearing a less heavy outfit (no armor). Or they could just give him one skin (the armored one) with different colors referencing some of the most iconic characters in the franchise.Having grown around arcades in the 90's, I can't imagine Terry or SNK in general being as much as a niche as Ys or Falcom games. I mean, unlike Falcom games, I never had to actively search for SNK stuff, it always felt close to me, even on internet. But maybe it's because I'm just that much into fighting games...
I wonder what would be the "must have" spirits for a general Ys spirit board. Back to Terry, he came with what I would call the essential: his little brother, their best budy and his mortal enemy (and Kim Kaphwan but I'm not sure how important he is to the Fatal Fury lore in comparison), only really missing his "sister-in-law" because rating - the other are SNK all stars, not really Fatal Fury characters. Because of my limited knowledge on what is really important for the overall Ys lore, I can only think of Dogi and Feena & Reah.
On the other hand, focusing on just Ys IX stuff like what happened with persona 5 and kinda of with Dragon Quest XI seems to be a lot easier: Playable characters, important NPCs and a couple of major enemies would do the job, although I can't imagine the Monstrum Nox version of Adol being the default version like Eleven with Hero, it might give the wrong idea of what he's about.
Also, following the style of Terry's spirit board, which is more or less "Fatal Fury + SNK legends except Metal Slug why the **** is it missing". what characters would be "Falcom legends"?
In regards to Ys lore, important characters within the series that could serve as Spirits could include:
- Dogi = Adol's best buddy and right hand man, a.k.a. The Wall Crusher.
- Feena & Reah = being the Twin Goddesses that greeted Adol in his first adventure, and are central to Ys I & II's plot, they would most likely be in one same spirit.
- Lilia = a young girl Adol meets in the floating ancient land of Ys during Ys II; she is the first "prospect" of Adol but, we all know his heart will always belong to Feena.
- Geis = a mercenary and from Ys VI: Ark of Napishtim and onward becomes Adol's rival.
- Hugo Fact = albeit existed 700 years prior to Adol, he is one of the main characters of Ys Origin; also meeting the Twin Goddesses back then.
His spirit could be upgraded to Dark Fact, who happens to be the final boss of Ys I. Playing Ys I & II Chronicles, and then playing Ys Origins (completing the game with all three characters, especially Hugo and Toal), it all becomes clear.
- Dana = one of the main characters (and a VERY important one) from Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana.
- Pikkard = Ok, these aren't actually main characters, but these little critters are recurring cute little animals seen throughout most of the Ys games.
- Seven, Celceta, Lacrimosa of Dana, and Monstrum Nox party members = in these games in which Adol meets various party members that join him in his adventure, each one is unique in their own way and also play a part in their respective games. They could be grouped into one spirit from the game they come from, or they can make spirits of the ones that play a greater role than the others (i.e., Aisha from Seven).
- Estelle Bright (The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky)
- Joshua Bright (The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky)
- Rean Schwarzer (The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel)
- Parin (Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure)
- Dragon Slayer protagonist (could be from Dragon Slayer II: Xanadu)
- Ares & Dela (Brandish)
- Pipiro & Pokkle (Zwei: The Arges Adventure)